Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

Re:Cassandra's Journey 2: The Fifth Sun of Nostradamus comments and reviews

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Dec 19, 09 1:17 PM
I like the game very much and will be using a credit to buy. Lots of interaction, and a few mini games I have not seen before. Graphics are good, kept me going to see what would happen next.

I did get to the end of the demo just about 3 minutes before the end of the hour. However, I did skip much of the dialog.

As for me,

Forgot to add. I didn't have any problem with long loading times, and my computer is a couple years old with lots of stuff on it already. I do have a lot of RAM and speed, so that might make a difference. Graphics were clear, too. What very little load time there was, was easily taken up in reading the story line. That's the only time I paused (very briefly) to read.

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 1:20:22 PM PST

mpdsb
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by mpdsb on Dec 19, 09 1:38 PM
I like the game very much as well. I do have a question about the the cursor and it's alignment to the tools. I'm not sure if it's a function of the game or a singular problem I'm encountering. When I use the flashlight, the magic glass or place figures on the map, My cursor is about 3 inches to the left of the tool. So I have to locate the item and remember exactly where it is to click on it.

Has anyone else encounter this or is it part of the game?

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Dec 19, 09 2:17 PM
This is a great game with an interesting Storyline. I did not have any difficulty downloading and playing the game.

"Me Likes" -- I liked almost everything about the game. The **** scenes were very enjoyable. The graphics are sharp and very clear. The games has both interactive activities and mini-games. You have a skip option for the mini-games. My favorite mini-game, and perhaps the most time consuming, was finding words on a page from a book that matched the words on a note page. You have unlimited hints for each **** scene using one of 4-hints systems. I played 4-1/2 chapters out of 8 and only used a hint once.

"Me Didn't Like So Much" -- I have mixed feelings about the dialogue. While I didn't enjoy having so much of it, the good news is that you can skip it. I'm not sure that this game has much replay value, and it's a little short. I played 4-1/2 chapters out of 8, with 40 more minutes, I believe that I would have completed the game . With this being the 2 (or is it the 3rd?) in the series, I would have expected more of a challenge in the game. The mini-games were enjoyable, but very easy to play. Did the developers work on this game when they were tired and just didn't have time to put more effort in challenging gamers? --

"Me Bottomline" -- This game gets my approval for the quality of the graphics, storyline and diversity of activities. However, it will not get my game credit because of the lack of depth and breath.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 19, 09 2:35 PM
Pats3 wrote:Found a problem in the very first part - lighting the candles, the closest one on the mantle cannot be lit because the hand(curser) gets in the way. Any solutions?

I just clicked on it and mine lighted up behind the hand.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 19, 09 3:19 PM
I like everything about the game but the subject. The graphics are really good and the IHOG aspect is my favorite type of game. However, for the same reason I didn't buy the first Cassandra game, I won't buy this either. I stay away from anything having to do with astrology, fortune telling, etc., etc. I don't understand why, if there can be games with themes of astrology and the like, why can't we have a few games with a Christian theme? Astrology and fortune telling are both a type of belief system so why does there seem to be such an objection when it comes to anything Biblical or Christian? Please, Big Fish, get at least a few games that have some Christian themes.
I'm sure there are some fish members who would appreciate them.

[Post New]by buttermilk2 on Dec 19, 09 3:36 PM
Has anyone had this problem - its a first for me -- downloaded the trail and it went straight to trial ended - buy - immediately - is this game not new?

Leaty
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Leaty on Dec 19, 09 4:32 PM
Played the first Cassandra game and enjoyed it. So part two was a must-have for me.

Pros:
- Great variations on minigames, skipable if you don't like'em.
- Nice twist on the Hidden Object part with the movable furniture.
- great graphics, rock solid gameplay. Personaly I liked best that the scenes have a more "natural" feeling then most HOGames. Means, a lot (not all) of the stuff you're looking for, is where it makes actually sense.
- also great for beginners with no time limit and virtually unlimited clues.

Cons:
- Characters lost a bit compared to the first game. They're nice and all, but somehow a bit too wacky. It didn't help to change / "improve" them graphicwise.
- same for the story. A bit too wacky to keep you really interested and carrying.
- why are Cassandra's eyes moving on cutscenes / talking parts? Looks like she's reading from a teleprompter and not talking to you, the gamer.
- at the ending (won't spoil it) reading the letter, she's smiling. Considering the events just a minute ago, it seems just.... inappropriate.

Should be improved:
- really disliked some parts, like the scene in Peru with two suitcases. Going back and forth, moving 20 objects around looking (for example) the flashlights, only to find them outside. More frustration then fun.
- also disliked the parts with the flashlight / magical lense. The mouse cursor is just too far away from the enlighten area. No idea if this was so intended, but it feels unnatural. Sometimes even troublesome with the cursor interfering with the description of clues on the left side.
- buying the stuff in Peru marketplace is a constant switching between inventory for the coins and the stuff you're actually looking for - inconvenient.

Bugs:
- under extras, visit game forum leads to http://www.bigfish.forum/

All in all a worthy successor and a fun game. Could use some work on the storyboard - at least for me, it couldn't draw me in like Valerie Porter and the Scarlet Scandal did.
Replay value for the story is rather low, however there's still the minigames and the fortune telling room.
Great for beginners, for seasoned HOGamers probably a bit too short.

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 4:40:35 PM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 19, 09 4:46 PM
nwl43 wrote:
Pats3 wrote:Found a problem in the very first part - lighting the candles, the closest one on the mantle cannot be lit because the hand(curser) gets in the way. Any solutions?

I just clicked on it and mine lighted up behind the hand.

I had to click just to the left of the candle.

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Dec 19, 09 5:36 PM
I enjoyed the first one of these games, but CJ2 is in a class of its own. Only took me 5 minutes of gameplay to realise this one is a keeper. I'm having no problems with it being slow - runs perfectly for me. Lovely music, nice mix of mini games, and beautiful graphics.

5 from me - keep 'em coming !

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 6:50:37 PM PST

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Dec 19, 09 6:33 PM
Haven't played yet--just downloading but has anyone noticed the change in the look of Cassandra? The last one was girl-next-door ish, this one looks definitely on the witchy side! Not sure I'm going to be into this but willing to give it a try.

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Dec 19, 09 7:10 PM
Just demo'd and I think govegril was correct, somewhere this was slated to be a CE - If you click on the extras - and then, I think, more about cassandras journey, it opens your browser to the download page of cassandras journey ... ummm, If I didn't have it downloaded how would I have just clicked that button????
Oh, and why is the magic ball considered a puzzle or minigame?? that is a huge stretch.

But other than that, I really liked it, I felt happy playing anything that said 'fairway' all in all, I will buy it. In fact, I enjoyed this demo better than dire grove,but that is probably just me.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Dec 19, 09 7:16 PM
vault07 wrote:I guess I will be the odd duck here. I will say for the sake of my conscience, I could not play this game. It seems like a lot of witch craft, casting spells, I downloaded the demo, gave it a half of a minute and felt like I was engaging in something EVIL! Not for me at all. I also chose not to play MANY other games just released for this same reason. This is just how I feel about the game. I would really like to see Big Fish come out with less witch craft and something more upbeat.

by Itsupikachu on December 19, 3:19 PM
I like everything about the game but the subject. The graphics are really good and the IHOG aspect is my favorite type of game. However, for the same reason I didn't buy the first Cassandra game, I won't buy this either. I stay away from anything having to do with astrology, fortune telling, etc., etc. I don't understand why, if there can be games with themes of astrology and the like, why can't we have a few games with a Christian theme? Astrology and fortune telling are both a type of belief system so why does there seem to be such an objection when it comes to anything Biblical or Christian? Please, Big Fish, get at least a few games that have some Christian themes.
I'm sure there are some fish members who would appreciate them.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 19, 09 7:19 PM
vault07 wrote:I guess I will be the odd duck here. I will say for the sake of my conscience, I could not play this game. It seems like a lot of witch craft, casting spells, I downloaded the demo, gave it a half of a minute and felt like I was engaging in something EVIL! Not for me at all. I also chose not to play MANY other games just released for this same reason. This is just how I feel about the game. I would really like to see Big Fish come out with less witch craft and something more upbeat.

Amen to that! I agree 100%.

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Dec 19, 09 7:24 PM
i played the first Cassandra ,and could not wait for the second one ,next thing I am waiting for is the portable pc ,so we can carry the games in our belts that way at least we can get something done .Won't that be just perfect? BF I am buying smaller purses .I need therapy !!!!!!!.Help. . What are you doing to me?

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Dec 19, 09 7:47 PM
Played the first hour and really liked the game. The puzzles were different and it kept my interest. As far as the objections to the subject--yes, there is a crystal ball but I didn't feel it was trying to turn you mind in that direction or anything. Mostly its a mystery story. For me, anyway, thats a non issue. I have more of a problem with killing and blood and gore. So, its a yes for me. downloading now.

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Dec 19, 09 9:14 PM
I can certainly understand why this game might be a problem for some members. It is very occult centered - with fortune telling and tarot. Not in a scary way, but if the mystical bothers you stay away.

I was having the same problem with placing items - I wish I had seen the hint about the wide-screen setting before I did the demo! I adjusted to it, but it did annoy me a bit.

Other than that absolutely no technical issues. Download and scene loading were speedy, no other glitches or bugs at all.

I DO NOT like having to move aside a hat or a bowl or whatever to find something underneath. I do not mind opening a drawer or cabinet - those are much more intuitive.

Why is her client/guest wearing gloves the whole time - did I miss something. Even while fixing lunch?

The graduated clue system is clever, although I think I only used two clues - both in the room with the pieces of notes. Both told me to move something in the room, but neither told me what to move so that was frustrating.

I also thought the riddles in the museum were clever - quite easy but added a touch of fun, nonetheless.

The street scene where you had to match drawings to the objects on the building and whatever - pfft. None of the drawings looked much like the actual items. I looked at the general shape and clicked around. They were not hard to find since they were the only items of another time and place, but they DID NOT match the pictures.

I finished the demo with 7 minutes left on my hour - so based on the scene count in another thread I would expect this game to take me about 3 hours - nice, OK, not great.

Not sure what I will do with this yet. I need one more game for my December punch card, so I will get this if nothing else catches my fancy (hard to believe that will happen with 12 days of the month left!). Otherwise, probably not.

/

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Dec 19, 09 10:15 PM
Was going to add something, but maybe not. Merry Xmas to all.

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 10:17:12 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 20, 09 12:57 AM
I like it, quirks and all.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 20, 09 5:07 AM
I really liked this game. Had no problems downloading the demo (took about 3 mins) and the game doesn't run slow as some have mentioned. I didn't have an issue with the occult theme either; it is just a computer game after all.

Lovely graphics, hidden objects not too hard to find but not too easy either. I got to the end of the demo with 5 mins left but having just bought Dark Tales, will have to wait for a credit before I buy this. I have found however that since Dire Grove, nothing has come close to being as good!

Looking forward to seeing what the new Mortimer Beckett is like; does anyone know when that is being released?

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Dec 20, 09 5:12 AM
Does anyone know how long you need to play this game before your progress is saved? I downloaded the demo...played 15 minutes and had to leave the game. A box came up saying that my progress would not be saved. I am always going in and out of games and it would be really inconvenient if I could not have my progress saved. Also, I did not see a pause button...is there one that I missed?

Go to: