Re:Virtual City comments and reviews

[Post New]by jdk0874 on Dec 21, 09 3:35 PM
I am stuck on level 2-5. I can't figure out how to collect garbage without garbage trucks and the garage will not let me purchase garbage trucks. Help.

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Dec 21, 09 4:34 PM
Looks like a combination of Build a Lot and Road to Riches. I'm getting this game this week!

[Post New]by Amedeo on Dec 21, 09 5:12 PM
Game / menus are flickering and I am not able to see the building / tutorial menu. Anyone got the same problem?

[Post New]by girllfren on Dec 21, 09 6:42 PM
The complainers haven't either read or understood the information. If you haven't provided the needed items for the cosmetics or magazines, nothing will happen.
Its a trade off so one truck will carry a load, one truck will pick up a load. If the game is toooooo easy its a waste of money. C'mon, if you like building and delivery this is a great game.

marker117
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by marker117 on Dec 21, 09 8:41 PM
Annoying. The little icons in no way represent the product. No legend describing what the *grrr* the little pictures are supposed to mean. I'm left with a tutorial that tells me to combine a few icons. Sadly, I don't know how to make make-up. The game not only won't tell me the formula, but I get to decypher icons that have no connection to reality. A simple legend would he[p, or here's a thought, just lable the dang things with actual words. I bought it... hope you are smarter than me.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Dec 21, 09 8:43 PM
I am one of the complainers and I have read what I have been given ; take two pies to the neighbouring place and take two cosmetics to the Mall.

I understand that.

However, this is a TUTORIAL which means it is supposed to teach us how to play the game. However - IT DOESN'T do that. It simply says to do it but no instructions - that isn't good enough so I will be saving my money and telling anyone who is interested to not waste their time or money until the game designers have enough sense to understand that a tutorial is where they teach a game and a walkthrough shouldn't be needed for a tutorial.

My rating for this game is a huge 10 thumbs down due to the appalling tutorial.

Edited on 12/21/2009 at 8:44:08 PM PST

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Dec 22, 09 5:49 AM
Wowww... I'm really surprised at the complaints. The tutorial was well done. And the icons are representative.... Like somebody else said, if it was easy, there would be no challenge. This is one of the BETTER time management games out there right now. Don't give up on it.

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Dec 22, 09 5:50 AM
jdk0874 wrote:I am stuck on level 2-5. I can't figure out how to collect garbage without garbage trucks and the garage will not let me purchase garbage trucks. Help.

You have to upgrade the garage first.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Dec 22, 09 6:29 AM
I still agree with BertiePuppy that the tutorial is sadly lacking!!! I love TM games and for the player earlier who was new to TM and liked them I highly recommend MonopolyBuildaLot available on iwin. HAPPY GAMING I forgot my BUDDY OLDBAY Merry Christmas to you too!

Edited on 12/22/2009 at 6:32:01 AM PST

[Post New]by Moon_Rose77 on Dec 22, 09 6:51 AM
jdk - is that the soledad level? If so you don't need to collect garbage there is enough recycled material already at recycling plant to complete the level

diannb
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by diannb on Dec 22, 09 7:19 AM
I understand the frustration of some about how to route the trucks. What I found that helps a lot is to go back to the main menu, press the "help" button and select the bottom button about production routing and it shows you how to route the trucks to deliver the various products (pies, magazines, clothing, etc.). I find it more helpful than the tutorial!

Diann

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Dec 22, 09 7:22 AM
I got stuck on the level with the collapsed tunnel. I didn't have enough money to fix the tunnel, and since the tunnel was cutting off trade to other cities, I had no way of earning any money, either. Upgrading businesses and houses didn't help, either--I ended up spending what money I had and getting nothing back.

That was the point at which I discovered that there was no hint button. The mentor character just kept repeating the information she'd given the first time around. And I couldn't find a walkthrough online to show me what to do.

I enjoyed the game up to that point; it was a lot of fun. But running into an unsolvable problem was frustrating. I'm sure it wouldn't be unsolvable to everyone who played...but since it was for me, I would have liked a way to discover what the answer was.

carolwst
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by carolwst on Dec 22, 09 7:23 AM
I don't like games that are too easy either but a tutorial should be helpful and this one wasn't when the time came to exchange goods between towns. Intuitively one truck should have been able to pick up and deliver pies and return with cosmetics but that is not the case. Why have an empty truck traveling back from a neighboring town?
Also I noticed another pet peeve of mine - buildings that I upgraded on one level weren't upgraded on the next level.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 22, 09 10:28 AM
It is a nice building tm-game like build a lot, but a little bit different. But I am so sorry, it is nothing really for me.

loudlife
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by loudlife on Dec 22, 09 11:24 AM
Well I like this game a lot, but I agree that the tutorial was lame. I basically just persevered in the assumption that I would figure it out eventually - and I did. I like them to be challenging. I still haven't lifted my head up out of the game long enough to figure out how they decide if you finished as an "expert" or not. The trophies just appear magically as near as I have been able to tell!

My question is this - has anyone else just had every single vehicle suddenly disappear? I was just playing the first appliance level and suddenly every truck, bus, and dumpster was just gone!

loudlife
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by loudlife on Dec 22, 09 11:34 AM
Ugh! I just went back to it and now the level is totally glitched up! The screen is black except for the tabs at the bottom and the tags at the top. My mouse doesn't work, Esc only toggles between the menu and the (black) level, and in the end I had to ctrl-alt-del to get out of it. Guess I'll un- and re-install. Am I the only one experiencing this?

msymms
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by msymms on Dec 22, 09 2:46 PM
One of my favorite games of the year. I am slowing down on the plethora of HOGs and other same-o same-o games until games like this come along (forget the punchcard BFG. Not enough decent stuff coming out). Innovative games like Westward, My Kingdom for a Princess, and Virtual City are becoming buried in the HOG and lovey dovey games.

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Dec 22, 09 2:54 PM
msymms wrote:One of my favorite games of the year. I am slowing down on the plethora of HOGs and other same-o same-o games until games like this come along (forget the punchcard BFG. Not enough decent stuff coming out). Innovative games like Westward, My Kingdom for a Princess, and Virtual City are becoming buried in the HOG and lovey dovey games.

I agree with you.... It seems like every other game is a Hidden Object game. TM games are my favorite but Build a Lot never fully captured my attention to buy. I liked Build it Miami but not enough to buy. Virtual City is a breath of fresh air....

[Post New]by Dave866 on Dec 22, 09 4:26 PM
More games like this please. Fantastic game. I really enjoyed the Montana challenge to tear down the dairy and build your income up - warning - you have to think to solve it.

For those who prefer mindless distraction games - there are plenty of them.

emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

$6000 income

[Post New]by emerance on Dec 22, 09 4:45 PM
I'm stuck at the level where you're limited in seed funding and then have to produce $6,000 in income. I have two malls, have both the clothing and furniture factories going, and have built up the population to 100. I can't seem to get it higher than $4,200.

Anyone have any ideas how to increase income? I've upgraded all my vehicles to 3 stars as well as every possible building.

Go to: