hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

Re:Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 26, 09 9:05 AM
I found this game a dissapointment because I had to use a magnifying glass to see half of the h.o. I find the makers of some hogs are making them smaller and smaller. My eyes aren't as good as they once were so I just give up on allot of hogs.Another thing is they hide something where it's the same color as what it's hidden on, I think that's kinda dumb. Anyways, those who play have fun with it and Happy Holidays to all.

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Dec 26, 09 9:27 AM
I enjoyed the demo and it is certainly on my wishlist for the future. The graphics were clear and the timer very generous.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 26, 09 9:39 AM
This game has been out & about for quite awhile ...It's a basic hog , & very boring for my taste .....I couldn't get into it ...at the other sites ...sure not going to waste my time , playing here ...I was hoping for a better game then this today ...but I guess I was wrong ...again !!!! ...better luck tomorrow !!!!

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Dec 26, 09 10:28 AM
This has definitely been recycled here on this site. I've played this demo twice, and I only use Big Fish and one other game site.

1LIR
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by 1LIR on Dec 26, 09 11:10 AM
It's your average HOG with mostly finding the objects. I got about half way through the 5th level. Don't know how many levels there are, but I think I'll pass on this one. I've already have enough of the simple HOG's.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Dec 26, 09 11:31 AM
I waited for this game, figuring I would find a game like Peril at Land's End and, as many of you have said, it is more like the Nile game, which had me tearing my hair out by the time I got to the last searches as I had to repeat a few of the last sections several times to beat the clock. It is great that some of you find the 25 minutes as adequate, but for me, I make it just under the wire and always have to use up the hints. I tried multiple times to get more hints by clicking quickly, but it did not make any difference, even when I clicked three in a row as fast as I could move the cursor to each object! So my waited-for game is now a game I will pass up until I am really desperate and feel ready to be in race mode for several hours. When will these game developers ever learn that we don't want timed games? For some, I think the answer is that they never will learn!

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Dec 26, 09 11:37 AM
Sure wish they would spice these up as I found all the Agatha Christie's to be so boring.

I don't even bother demo'ing anymore.

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Dec 26, 09 11:39 AM
Poodlebear wrote:I tried the demo on the other site and found this to be a real snoozer. I loved Death on the Nile and Peril at End House but unless I am misremembering they had a lot more Interactive stuff. For sure Death on the Nile did. This is pretty much a straight up H. O. with a lot of repetition and I literally started falling asleep. Definitely a pass here.

Couldn't have said it better. The others were so good and I was excited to see this one (I got it several weeks ago on another site) and boy was I disappointed. Same scenes and objects over and over and boring story with too many names to keep straight. Save your money/credits.

jocarl17
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by jocarl17 on Dec 26, 09 11:49 AM
Just want to add another vote to the NO TIMER issue. I play these games to relax - I don't want to compete with anyone, even myself. I just want something that makes me think (Dire Grove) but not rush. Even when the timer is generous, it is always in the back of my mind that I will have to replay that scene if I don't finish in time. It takes away a lot of my enjoyment, so I will not buy any game without a relaxed option. And I buy a LOT of games. Just sayin'.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 26, 09 11:53 AM
I had to find 5 items in a row for a hint. Don't know about recharging hints, I guess that will only happen when you have hints down to zero.

So, even when hints are ample, and the time limit is still okay in the first three chapters, items to find are very small. I have to be glued to the screen, more or less. So, even though items are in tune with the time period and mostly in plausible places this situation could be improved.

Also, I found that the game throws a lot of names around that were all introduced at once in the starting cartoon strip. That was too much info, and so I kept wondering who those people on the clue cards are. Nile did a better job there introducing them one or two at a time, also providing a match up game that summarises the plot. I don't know if this returns since I only got 6 minutes left at the start of chapter 4, but I haven't encountered it yet.

[Post New]by helpplease on Dec 26, 09 12:08 PM
where is the sugar bowl for the cubes```````tks fb

[Post New]by blackjack4360 on Dec 26, 09 12:09 PM
Objects way too small did not finish trial game
If they cannot do hidden objects why make a game and put us through torture

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 26, 09 12:39 PM
helpplease wrote:where is the sugar bowl for the cubes```````tks fb

On the right side of the table. The game tells you the location (in a pop up) when you pick up the first lump.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 26, 09 12:39 PM
Laflamme said: Also, I found that the game throws a lot of names around that were all introduced at once in the starting cartoon strip. That was too much info, and so I kept wondering who those people on the clue cards are. Nile did a better job there introducing them one or two at a time, also providing a match up game that summarises the plot. I don't know if this returns since I only got 6 minutes left at the start of chapter 4, but I haven't encountered it yet.

Exactly, glad someone mentioned it. Hope the Devs read our FB. I like a game that makes me think too, part of why I play games, trying to sharpen my brain matter.So give me time to digest. I quickly lost track of who the characters were and with my failing memory was afraid there would be a pop quiz suddenly. Just too much to juggle while also going blind looking for things and watching a clock. Maybe devs should also track demographics, age groups of who buys these HOGs. Jumping on games with name brands like Agatha Christie for bait isn't winning us over but creating disappointment.

I'm afraid the next LostCases of Sherlock Holmes will be the same. That first one was hard enough with tiny things and timer, struggled a week with that rather than buying more games. I think AC Nile was my first interactive game and was so enchanted with finding and moving roses. So I had more patience then.

Name brand, Murder She Wrote WAS such a pleasant treat, wasn't a sequel but so user friendly and fun. To me, fun is what it's all about. This game

[Post New]by helpplease on Dec 26, 09 12:58 PM
to laflamme tks fb

nameplater
Stingray
Stingray
4,776 Posts

[Post New]by nameplater on Dec 26, 09 2:18 PM
puzzledone your comment about a pop quiz was so true and had me lol. When a card came up with a character on it I thought 'who is this' and then decided I did not know and did not care cause I had to hurry and beat the timer.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 26, 09 2:47 PM
Sigh. I blissed out playing the demo, and I will be waiting for Jan. 1 to get this one.

But I also agree that we need a way to have "cue cards" or something to remember who's who. We got introduced to so many at the start, and when I went looking, I didn't find a "lineup" or any way to remember who's who and what they do.

Thx for the tip about earning extra hints. I didn't find that in game intro. Maybe I missed it.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 26, 09 2:59 PM
I bought this game, elsewhere, awhile back....never did finish it. I was also surprised to see this as the Christmas Day game...was hoping for something good. Alas, not the case. I really dislike timers, even generous ones, so this one just doesn't hit the spot with me.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Dec 26, 09 8:04 PM
Sympathy to all who wish there were a relaxed mode, I can dig that.

My attitude is I take the time I need and if I run out then I'll try again, no big deal.

I have found all three of the AC games to be charming. Nothing extraordinary, but nice HOGs to play through. I enjoy the music, the admittedly simple mini-games...kind of like a warm bath of a HOG...

I'm not a Poirot fan - I'm happy the game downplays his narcissism, and I like the era portrayed. As for keeping the characters straight - I confess, I take notes. Learned to do that way back in Death on the Nile. Christie was famous for intricate plots so I find that aspect of the games totally in character.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Dec 26, 09 10:35 PM
The AG HOGs have always traditionally had smaller HOs & I like that b/c it's a challenge. Even tho it's timed I've never run out of time & I am by no means Speed Racer. I discovered purely by accident that if you're scanning & you see like 3 HOs on the list at once & click on em in a row, it gives you an extra hint, which I find much better than hurling in some tedious minigame to get one. I also think the HOs are made even harder to find b/c they are "normal" items for the most part that you would expect to find in a dining rm or wherever, & not just random junkpiles. If they all leapt out at you, then folks would complain it was too EZ instead of too hard. The harder it is, the longer it lasts. Fine by me. Even now I still can't remember where everything is in the Civil War game where the HOs were miniscule (those arrows & fireflies are the worst), so I don't think the fact that the HOs might not change significantly (& they do change; it's just that there are some that are always there, mostly the interactive bits) is an issue if you go back & play later.

I've probably read every AG book there is & I'm pleased that some of the less-well-known ones get a chance to shine in this series; Peril at End House was always one of my favs even tho it didn't get rave reviews like Death on the Nile or Murder on the Orient Express. I liked the ones where Ariadne Oliver was Poirot's sidekick especially.

The graphix are well-done & the music fades into the background & doesn't bother you. At least it doesn't make dreadful sounds or have fish swimming in your way or random sparkles to distract! That's irksome. Since I don't like a touted HOG to be 90% interactive puzzles w/ an occasional scene of HOs tossed in to appease, this type of game is my cup of tea. I demo'd it a few mos ago & have been patiently waiting for to get it. When my credit hits tomorrow it's going to bounce right back out b/c I'm definitely getting this. TYVM for stopping the suffering by getting this at last!

Go to: