ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

Re:Great Adventures: Lost in Mountains comments and reviews

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Dec 30, 09 12:17 AM
I am an average player... whatever that might mean to you (LOL)... and it took me about 3 hours to finish this game. Yes, I did buy it, mostly because I wanted something to fill in time that wasn't too strenuous brain-wise. It is a fun little game that isn't too difficult.

The story is "old"... girl's father disappears, yet again, and she must go and save him. He is, of course, a famous scientist who has invented something that someone evil wants to steal. Never fear... he has it hidden and will not give it to them even on threat of death. Like I said, the story is old and pretty much worn out and we've had a lot of the same storyline lately, whether in Hidden Object, Adventure, or even Match 3 games. On this one you have a female and a male, each of whom have their own purposes. The game is pretty linear though. You can't do "this" unless you do "that" first and sometimes you have no choice as to whom you must use to accomplish a task.

This isn't a time management, nor a hidden object type of game, nor is it a Sim. It is quest-like and you have to figure out how to open doors, for the most part. I did enjoy the game, although I found it a bit lacking in some areas. But I wanted to play a simple game for a little while, and this suited that purpose.

Edited on 12/30/2009 at 12:19:04 AM PST

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Dec 30, 09 1:16 AM
I have bought the game after the trial period, too (well, had a few minutes left when I decided to stop and buy it) and enjoyed it very much.

The graphics reminded me a bit of older RPGs (Ultima, mostly), because of the pseudo-3D. It's a style I haven't seen on screen for a long while and I like it very much.

I have to agree that it's neither a sim-game (after all, you just have two people to care for and they care for themselves pretty well, if you let them) nor a time-management game (there's nothing you need to do during a special period of time). It's an adventure, and not a bad one at that - for a casual game.

Still, I hope to see more of those in the future, because the gameplay with the little tasks always makes me feel I'm getting somewhere.

Pea511
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Pea511 on Dec 30, 09 3:26 AM
Syrenia wrote:I think the length of the game really depends on how quickly you play. I am well into chapter 10 at the end of the trial, so even though I enjoyed it, it hardly seems worth it to buy for less than another hour. Too bad, it was lots of fun.

I found this too. I too was well into chapter 10 after an hour, so even though I thought this was a fab game, something different. I won't be buying it as it is not value for money

Edited on 12/30/2009 at 3:27:37 AM PST

Eanti
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by Eanti on Dec 30, 09 3:33 AM
I like this game a lot. It is full of riddles to discover and solve, full of little objects to find like the butterflys and lanterns etc. full of fun.
The difficulity is exactly what I need. Few tasks a bit challenging, some are easier. But even if you get stuck the doggy hepls you to go on.
I also liked the gameplay in which you are able to play with two charakters at the same time. This game had tasks which you can only finish when you let a specific charakter let do it - so a kind of teamwork.
Til now I really enjoined the free hour but I`m sure to purchase it very soon.

[Post New]by jhub916 on Dec 30, 09 9:05 AM
Liked the game...but wayyyyy too short. Was halfway finished the game by the time the 1 hour trial was over.

[Post New]by nickstimson on Dec 30, 09 9:31 AM
For me a fantastic game. Lets see more like it and less hidden object games. PLEASE!

jyork
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by jyork on Dec 30, 09 9:34 AM
I played 30 minutes into the demo and knew I wanted to finish the game, so I bought it. I did finish the game in a couple of hours so if you are looking for long game play, then you might not want to buy this, but for $6.99 it was definitely worth it. Cute, but easy and if you get stuck there are plenty of bones around to give you hints. Not much brain power going on here so H. O. lovers will really appreciate this game! It's not a time management game though.

Edited on 12/30/2009 at 9:35:31 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 30, 09 10:52 AM
Well I'm finished the game and I must say, I loved it. The little dog running around helping was so cute. The entire game was very enjoyable and as for my last post about having to restart the game, that was my fault for not entering a profile name.
I hope everyone who played had as much fun as I did.

[Post New]by thad224 on Dec 30, 09 2:02 PM
This is really a cute game. I did freeze up one time during my 1 hour demo, but that was the only time it happened. I purchased the game because I was very intrigued to see were it would go. I did complete the entire game in a couple of hours though. I was hoping it would take me more time to complete, but I definitely enjoyed playing it.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Dec 30, 09 6:02 PM
The game was only OK, but it bothered me A LOT that there was an insidious sexism built in...the girl couldn't use the torch or the dynamite(!) and was only needed for squeezing into small spaces. Had the game allowed you to choose an avatar (either gender) for your "mechanical genius" and your "acrobat" or something I might have liked the game a lot more. I certainly wouldn't let children play it, because I think gender stereotypes are something we can all live without, especially when we are supposed to be playing. I found it rather offensive.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Dec 30, 09 8:07 PM
GoddessOdd wrote:The game was only OK, but it bothered me A LOT that there was an insidious sexism built in...the girl couldn't use the torch or the dynamite(!) and was only needed for squeezing into small spaces. Had the game allowed you to choose an avatar (either gender) for your "mechanical genius" and your "acrobat" or something I might have liked the game a lot more. I certainly wouldn't let children play it, because I think gender stereotypes are something we can all live without, especially when we are supposed to be playing. I found it rather offensive.

Well, she is a scientist that is very intelligent and can hack into systems, that the guy is not able to do. So, I didn't get the sexist impression that you speak of.

With that being said, I really enjoyed the demo and just purchased the game. I like the open map, sim play mixed with adventure/hidden object, characters, and cute graphics.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Dec 30, 09 10:06 PM
mahbah55 wrote:
GoddessOdd wrote:Well, she is a scientist that is very intelligent and can hack into systems, that the guy is not able to do. So, I didn't get the sexist impression that you speak of.

It was interesting that she was so smart, yet unable to use the hammer, or even pick it up, she was afraid she would start a fire if she tried to use the torch, could not fix anything or use any tools, so yeah...she was a real genius. In my opinion, there was no reason that gender needed to be assigned at all, especially in this rather demeaning way.

[Post New]by SMBrown on Dec 31, 09 5:00 AM
Very good game, just shorter & easier than I was expecting. Would love to see some sequels! Just hopefully they're longer so it would be worth the $.

Edited on 12/31/2009 at 5:02:12 AM PST

dotk88
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by dotk88 on Dec 31, 09 8:28 AM
The game itself is a mixture of an adventure game (finding clues and completing puzzles) and a sim game (taking care of your two people). However I finished it in one day. It was far too easy and had only one location (the hotel). If the creators of the game ever read this (which I doubt) please make your games LONGER.

I don't recommend spending the money for this game. Not really worth it.

[Post New]by squeakandmuffin on Dec 31, 09 7:54 PM
Hey Sante001,

Loved your review. Wish I thought stuff like that to say. I agree with most everything you wrote. I'd buy another in this series if there are any. Every now and then a simple, not too challenging game is a nice place to be.

Just wanted to say again, how impressed I was with the careful thought you put into your review. Very nice, very helpful.

[Post New]by squeakandmuffin on Dec 31, 09 8:01 PM
Sante001 wrote:I'm liking It!

As I was playing the game, I said to myself, "who the heck comes up with this stuff." Then I said, jealous, because you can't.

1. I'm not sure that it's a time management game, but the developers seem to have gone out of their way to provide us with something different and enjoyable. -- Kudos to them.

2. The many things you have to do are nicely mixed throughout the movement of the storyline -- turn on the TV, BUT, you have to find the remote, oops! you have to fix the remote. Great way to get the interaction going.

3. While you're doing all this action with you two characters and the puppy, of course, you have to keep your characters happy -- rest, listen to music, eat. These are not too overdone and do not take away from the storyline and the adventure.

4. The graphics are pretty good, and easy on the eye. The different scenes are also pretty good. The TV looks like a platinum screen, etc. For some, the characters might be a little too cute, but this did not bother me.

5. I'm "hearing" different things in the forum about lengh. With 15 chapters, and me only completing 1-1/2 chapters in 30 minutes, I think I will get my moneys worith if I get 3-4 hours of play time.

Bottomline for me, it gets my approval and my purchase.

I'm back to work, so I will have to revisit the game later this evening. If you don't hear from me before the beginning of the year!

Happy New Year to All!

[Post New]by squeakandmuffin on Dec 31, 09 8:03 PM
Sante001 wrote:I'm liking It!

As I was playing the game, I said to myself, "who the heck comes up with this stuff." Then I said, jealous, because you can't.

1. I'm not sure that it's a time management game, but the developers seem to have gone out of their way to provide us with something different and enjoyable. -- Kudos to them.

2. The many things you have to do are nicely mixed throughout the movement of the storyline -- turn on the TV, BUT, you have to find the remote, oops! you have to fix the remote. Great way to get the interaction going.

3. While you're doing all this action with you two characters and the puppy, of course, you have to keep your characters happy -- rest, listen to music, eat. These are not too overdone and do not take away from the storyline and the adventure.

4. The graphics are pretty good, and easy on the eye. The different scenes are also pretty good. The TV looks like a platinum screen, etc. For some, the characters might be a little too cute, but this did not bother me.

5. I'm "hearing" different things in the forum about lengh. With 15 chapters, and me only completing 1-1/2 chapters in 30 minutes, I think I will get my moneys worith if I get 3-4 hours of play time.

Bottomline for me, it gets my approval and my purchase.

I'm back to work, so I will have to revisit the game later this evening. If you don't hear from me before the beginning of the year!

Happy New Year to All!

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Dec 31, 09 8:20 PM
A fun game, so glad that Howatch recommended it! It won't be that short for me I think because I am having fun figuring this out and taking my time. I hope that the developers make more games like this one, it really is a different kind of game!

[Post New]by GamerGirl_31 on Dec 31, 09 8:47 PM
Cute game. But it did drag a bit on my PC. (Could be because I had some stuff running in the background.) Anyway, just not really my thing, but it's still a well done game graphic wise and such.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Jan 1, 10 1:21 AM
Overall I liked the game, but why it's considered time management is beyond me and had I noticed the category I wouldn't have tried it since I loathe those games thanks to slow reflexes. This is a point and click adventure with extremely limited sim elements. The sim elements are a bit of a drawback because the characters will automatically perform the needed action when their meter gets too low and to me it was annoying to have to wait for them to be charged up.

Graphics were generally good although I don't like the rotated 45 degree angle of the game board. It was a cheery and bright look and enjoyable to view. I thought the characters would be a bit cheesy but they grew on me. The dog was my favorite since it ran around on its own. The animations were cute especially the dancing scenes.

The gameplay is fairly easy as far as this kind of game goes which suits me since I'm a very casual player, but more intense gamers might find the game to be a bit short for their tastes.

The one thing I really would praise is the hint system. First of all, the game isn't stingy with the hints, which as a more casual type I like and best of all, there was no timer on the mini-games and you could skip them at leisure. What really impressed me about the hints was the way the game handled them. The dog would have a bubble over its head indicating what objects you needed and then it would stand in front of the item that required the objects until you got the character there and performed the required action. This is how a hint system should work.

There's nothing more frustrating than having 19/20 objects collected in a hidden object game and there is a locked drawer and you hit the hint button and it helpfully circles the locked drawer instead of pointing out where the key is.

One thing I didn't like was the sexism in the game. It really didn't add anything to the game play in my eyes and as another poster mentioned it really did kind of spoil the mood for me a bit since gender roles are something I dislike.

Overall, if you like point and click adventure games, it's worth the seven bucks.

Edited on 01/01/2010 at 1:23:46 AM PST

Go to: