scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe`s Murders in the Rue comments and reviews

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 7, 10 2:39 PM
Wow....some harsh reviewing here!

For those that found it too EZ, do you ever check Options? You can play this in "Expert" mode to make it harder. I usually start on Relaxed to get a feel for it & will go back later & re-play in Expert to see the differences if I buy. Maybe you were in EZ-mode?

I don't find the graphix "mediocre" at all. I think they're very well done. It has the nice tinkly creepy music like Puppet Show did. Is it from the same devs? The opening title scene was pretty cool. Real period flavor here. It looks like a quality game & that the devs were willing to invest a lot of time in it to get it right.

I'm just liking the atmosphere of it so much from that alone that after 12 min & 2 rooms I am seriously considering throwing my punch card credit at it. I just want to know if the puzzles/minigames are skippable b/c I am not left-brained & hate resorting to a walkthru to solve things. It took 4ever to get thru RTR.

If anyone's bought & knows this, let me know.

[Post New]by leopuff on Jan 7, 10 2:53 PM
Liked The game bought it for the extras was real disapointed thought there would be more than one seen whata rip

[Post New]by barrynut on Jan 7, 10 6:01 PM
I was really disappointed that I bought this game at the $19.95 price. It would have been to much even at $6.99. Was really to easy and not much to it. Don"t know what I got for the extra money either as all that opened was you got a guide but that was not there till you finished the game.

[Post New]by barrynut on Jan 7, 10 6:05 PM
Yes the mini puzzles are all skippable so don"t worry if you get stuck on them. They were all pretty easy though so you might want to try them. My husband and I got through them all without having to skip any. Usually I have to skip at least a couple.

[Post New]by boxergirl02 on Jan 8, 10 2:56 PM
Not terribly boring, just short and not worth my $6.99!! Pretty disappointed with this one.

dady45
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dady45 on Jan 9, 10 2:41 PM

Trust me , it is superb game, the BEST i ever played, you are going to love this SUPER PREMIUM game.
I enjoy having the strategy guide immediately available there.
Gameplay is very good, Poe's tale, Graphics are Top-beautiful, plot plausible, objects are not tiny and you can actually find them!
Mini games are good, not too hard .
Love it! Thought it was great!!! Enjoy!

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Jan 9, 10 2:53 PM
Yes Dady45!!! You are right!!!
Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Murders - it's a Best game!!!
Once I started play this , I could not stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a game!!!!!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed playing this one.
Thanks

dady45 wrote:
Trust me , it is superb game, the BEST i ever played, you are going to love this SUPER PREMIUM game.
I enjoy having the strategy guide immediately available there.
Gameplay is very good, Poe's tale, Graphics are Top-beautiful, plot plausible, objects are not tiny and you can actually find them!
Mini games are good, not too hard .
Love it! Thought it was great!!! Enjoy!

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Jan 10, 10 9:10 AM
spammy63 wrote:Too short, not challenging enough. Figured out the "mystery" pretty quickly, then it was just boring. Wasted a game credit since it's the 3rd (CE) and 4th most downloaded, which i guess means people are downloading without reading reviews.

Or perhaps they downloaded the demo, played it and liked it. Just because it is not a game for you, does not mean no one would like it.

[Post New]by susangopher on Jan 10, 10 9:23 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:I was a bit surprised to find only one review on the regular edition, so far. Anyway,
I would loved to have heard the voices of the actors and a British accent for this story would have been perfect and enjoyable to listen to, besides. I love Edgar Allan Poe's work, especially his poem, The Raven.
POE WAS AMERICAN!! His works were set in New England...

[Post New]by halfmoon6666 on Jan 13, 10 10:46 PM
I, too, enjoyed the game. But I'm wondering why we boiled the water on the boat?

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jan 15, 10 12:10 AM
So glad I waited for the cheap version. This game was enjoyable on many levels but way too easy for those of us who like a challenge. I have purchased both Dire Grove and this one and will never, EVER, buy a Collector's Edition without having the opportunity of trying the demo. Just not worth the extra bucks.

[Post New]by eyemcrazy on Jan 15, 10 5:44 PM
I am so glad I didn't get sucked in by the collector's edition ruse. I waited for the free trial and then for some dumb reason bought it. There's a single word to describe this game: annoying. I find the music annoying, the "puzzles" annoying and having to hunt all over the screen to make the eyeball pop up in some random place extremely annoying. There's no real logic involved in solving the mystery, just a lot of hunting and trying to figure out in what sequence you have to do stuff (e.g., the microscope, shell, pipette thing). ANNOYING. Hated it.

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on Jan 16, 10 10:58 AM
I loved this game, just as I loved Puppet Show! Not too difficult, not too easy for me either. I hope the developer keeps these great games coming!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 16, 10 11:25 AM
I think some of you are confusing Poe w/ Nathaniel Hawthorne or something. While Poe was born in Boston, he was orphaned young & raised in Virginia & later made his home in Maryland, not New England. Dupin is his most famous fictional character & he is a FRENCH police detective, so Murders in the Rue Morgue is set in Paris, as are the other Dupin tales. Very few of Poe's prose works are set in New England or in the US at all. 2 others that leap to mind, The Pit & the Pendulum or The Cask of Amontillado, are certainly not New England settings.

duskyblue
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by duskyblue on Jan 18, 10 9:25 AM
Played the demo and was intrigued enough by the graphics to buy it, but in the end I have to say it was boring, short and the puzzles were practically self-solving. If you love strictly HOGs, this game may be great for you ... the graphics are fairly good and the hidden object scenes are logical, but if you're looking for more challenge in the puzzles, I'd look elsewhere.

Mertie1
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Mertie1 on Jan 19, 10 7:21 PM
I did like the game...but it was way too short. The ending really was...ehhh...kinda abrupt. I like the style of game...not a straight hog....so that's what made me buy it. Still worth 6.99 for me...gave me a few hours of fun.

jessikart
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by jessikart on Jan 20, 10 3:21 PM
Really enjoyed this game overall - a good story, puzzles and not too infuriating hidden objects,

Minor quibbles were that not all chapters were equal - some required only a few minutes, others required a lot more time, so it was hard to judge how much longer you had to play the game. The ending was rather lame too - the final chapter was largely superfluous as it was clear what the ending would be.

The game overall is good, and I really enjoyed it. Not as challenging MCF, but better than most HOG

drummer1961
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by drummer1961 on Jan 26, 10 1:34 PM
Mertie1 wrote:I did like the game...but it was way too short. The ending really was...ehhh...kinda abrupt. I like the style of game...not a straight hog....so that's what made me buy it. Still worth 6.99 for me...gave me a few hours of fun.

I also liked the the game, (just finished it) but was short, ending abruprt. It's replayable for me(that is), enjoyed the game and agree with alot of people that the hidden objects were fairly easy to find. Wasn't expecting a gorilla to be the murder suspect, was worth my $6.99. I'll give the game 4 stars.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Jan 29, 10 11:52 AM
just finished playing. I give it a 4out of 5 stars. Very nice graphics, story was ok, finding objects most of them were easy but a few were hard to look for. Chores did not always make sense but what the heck, it is a game. Finally, i am very happy i've played it and reminded me of return to ravenhurst. Will likely replay in a near future. For the lenght, myself i've find it 'reasonable' but not 'short' as some fishies says. looking forward for a sequel .....

[Post New]by robchook on Jan 31, 10 10:37 PM
I am dissapointed with my version and the staegy guide wasnt helpful. It appears to belong to another game and I sorry I wasted game credits on it, even thogh I found the game quite good but am unable to progress when it comes to te ladder, pipette,and the cupboard. It doesnt appear to have any way of retrieving the objects needed. Wasted 2 hrs trying to find solution.Dissapointing

Go to: