coha92
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy comments and reviews

[Post New]by coha92 on May 2, 10 11:55 AM
It was my first Nancy Drew game and I played as a Senior. Big mistake. I didn't have much help and I ended asking everyone in the academy over and over when I was looking for the key to open the library case. Corine kept saying things that didn't help me although she was the one who supposed to give my the key.
My mistake, I didn't look closely at Mel's room for something in the wall talking about Moore book. When I went probably for the 7Th time I saw it and then it allowed me to go back to Corine's room and then I was able to make the correct questions in order to continue the game.
Next time I'll play it as JUNIOR! Overall: It's OK. I played better games.I'll try to buy another one to see if it worthed to have the whole collection.

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on May 9, 10 4:00 PM
this has been my favorite of all the Nancy Drew Games so far.... :-)

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on May 16, 10 1:35 PM
Actually, this is a question and not a comment or review. Didn't see this issue addressed as I looked through the rest of the forum.

What can I do after cerfew that is productive? When I venture out of my room, I usually end up with 5 demerits (sometimes, even when the "hiding" emblem shows). If I try to exit by way of the tree, I get demerits. Even when I am in my dorm room after cerfew, I have managed to get demerits. If I am "good" and go to bed and stay there after cerfew, the time slowly clicks by while my unfinished tasks sit there waiting for my attention.

I am usuallyl moderately to exceptionally good with games... but this is my first Nancy Drew game (besides the dossier one that I purchased, which was much easier) and I don't think I "have the hang of it" yet.

Any suggestions on accomplishing tasks after cerfew without ending up being expelled because of the excessive number of demerits?

Classicaljazz

Edited on 05/16/2010 at 1:35:52 PM PST

[Post New]by AngelFishNY on May 21, 10 1:34 AM
I understand that this is a legendary series and all games got interesting story, but I think it's time to upgrade graphics

[Post New]by emandalsmom on Jun 5, 10 7:44 AM
help help
is anyone else having trouble picking up the key in the storage closet. my cursor wont light up. i tried starting over figuring maybe i missed a step but i cant seem to figure it out. has anyone else had this problem?

[Post New]by emandalsmom on Jun 5, 10 1:37 PM
ok. i have seen this problem on another gamesite forum. I figured out the problem and wanted to post it in case anyone else has the same difficulty. You have to turn the light on first. I never realized it because i could see the key without the light but thats what it is.

[Post New]by rivergenesis on Jun 19, 10 1:58 PM
ATM I hate this game. I adored it up until Rachel refused to accept my trophy picture after sending her over 20 of them. Now, I'm seriously considering uninstalling and telling it to... well... can't say that here, might be kids reading.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jun 19, 10 2:04 PM
rivergenesis wrote:ATM I hate this game. I adored it up until Rachel refused to accept my trophy picture after sending her over 20 of them. Now, I'm seriously considering uninstalling and telling it to... well... can't say that here, might be kids reading.

Did you take the trophy out of the presentation case for the photo? If not, do so, take the photo and it will be accepted.

[Post New]by rivergenesis on Jun 20, 10 3:04 AM
If you'd read the post I made (the one noone seems to care about) you'd know that the game won't let me take it out of the case. I didn't know on day 2 when you do so that I was supposed to take a picture, and now I can't. Useless, stupid game.

[Post New]by southerngirl78 on Jul 30, 10 10:15 PM
rivergenesis wrote:If you'd read the post I made (the one noone seems to care about) you'd know that the game won't let me take it out of the case. I didn't know on day 2 when you do so that I was supposed to take a picture, and now I can't. Useless, stupid game.

Rivergenesis. . .don't give up. You can take the trophy out of the case, or you should be able to at anytime. If you can, there must be a glitch in your game and you might need to redownload. I had to do so and then my gameplay, with the exception of Leela's ball bouncing, went seamlessly.

You do have to have some patience with ND games and seriously, if you've never played one before, you might want to start on Junior detective so you can get hints and have a checklist. That also applies if you're more into the happenings than you are into the puzzle and the clues and the mystery of watching the mystery unfold.

vetchick
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by vetchick on Sep 1, 10 7:10 PM
This was my first Nancy Drew game. Now, I want to buy them all! I loved this game! I love the little mini games scattered throughout. I recommend saving pretty frequently. I kept getting demerits and got kicked out.

[Post New]by southerngirl78 on Sep 17, 10 1:36 AM
Classicaljazz wrote:Actually, this is a question and not a comment or review. Didn't see this issue addressed as I looked through the rest of the forum.

What can I do after cerfew that is productive? When I venture out of my room, I usually end up with 5 demerits (sometimes, even when the "hiding" emblem shows). If I try to exit by way of the tree, I get demerits. Even when I am in my dorm room after cerfew, I have managed to get demerits. If I am "good" and go to bed and stay there after cerfew, the time slowly clicks by while my unfinished tasks sit there waiting for my attention.

I am usuallyl moderately to exceptionally good with games... but this is my first Nancy Drew game (besides the dossier one that I purchased, which was much easier) and I don't think I "have the hang of it" yet.

Any suggestions on accomplishing tasks after cerfew without ending up being expelled because of the excessive number of demerits?

Classicaljazz

Did you ever get a response to your questions? If not, please let me know. . .I'd love to help you get through the rest of the game as it is a good one. . .and there are really only two things you need to do at night after curfew. . .

[Post New]by sorratine on Sep 26, 10 11:08 PM
Hi! This game was my first ND game and I'm hooked! The premise of the mystery would've probably not worked on anyone else but Nancy -- only she can appreciate going back to high school and solving a sinister-sounding mystery with such cheerfulness! I admit to skipping over the tutorial, but it was easy to orientate myself to the controls and navigation. The characters are believable (I know a LOT of Rachels!) and well-rendered and I especially love the quirks of expressions they make to go with their dialogue. Conversations are well-written, especially in Nancy's conversations with Ned, and the snippets of conversations heard at the snack shop are hilarious. It's a shame that there's not much to explore beyond the dorm grounds, and that there's only a few students around, but whatever is presented here is high quality, no complaints. I enjoyed the mini-games, especially the Snack Shop Boss one. The game is a mix of linear and non-linear play, so it's something to watch out for if you are consulting walkthroughs. When I had to use them for some parts, which I'd completed 'ahead of schedule' relative to others, I had to scroll through some 'spoilers' which took away some of the fun. So perhaps a spoiler-proof walkthrough like UHS might be more suitable for you. It took me a whole afternoon to play, so it's not very long, but I personally prefer to finish games in one sitting.

Overall, the game was immensely enjoyable, and I am looking forward to more of the series.

[Post New]by sugarcitygirl on Oct 23, 10 3:39 PM
I wish I had known about BF years ago. I have purchased at least 15 Nancy Drew games over the years at the $20 store retail price. Wow...just think how much I could have saved! haha

Each game has a different appeal, although they are all great! Waverly Academy is one of my favorite along with the Crystal Skull. I like the arcade games you can play as much as you like as well as the mystery and suspense. These games are for people who don't mind taking the time to figure things out...maybe even take a few notes. I've been stuck a few times, but it just makes it that much more satisfying when you finally figure things out! I have never been disappointed with a Nancy Drew game!

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Feb 14, 11 10:21 PM
I usually buy all the Nancy Drew games that BF offers as soon as they become available, as I did this one. But for some reason, I cannot get interested in completing the game. I am not very far into it as it is, and I am finding taking pictures of all of the girls not very fun.

All Nancy Drew games seem to have a puzzle (or two) that is timed, and if I can't get past them even by cheating and using the walkthrough, I don't get to finish the game. Right now there are 4 or 5 games that are not finished and this makes me disappointed. I even bought one game (Creature of Kapu Cave) that I have not even started, due to lack of interest.

But, like someone has said, most of the ND games take awhile to complete. You really get your money's worth with them. And since they are so long (and complicated) I feel I need to have hours available to me to get into the game. They are not games you can hop into and play for a half hour or so before going to work. (The Nancy Drew Dossier games are for those with short periods of time at a stretch to play.)

PTSuusje
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by PTSuusje on Aug 18, 11 8:06 AM
Just finished the game and quite enjoyed it. My first Nancy Drew large file game. It was slow starting, with an awful lot of listening to the characters talking and explaining things (characters are very well drawn, btw, took me right back to the backstabbing boarding school days!) but it picked up so be patient. I dipped into it over a few days. Graphics great, puzzles and games interesting. It's a good story with a few interesting twists at the end. You do really have to keep to the order of events fairly well; for instance, I opened the drawer in the library almost on my first visit but for ages there was nothing much inside it. I kept going back but it wasn't until after lots more puzzles and stages in the game that something relevant turned up. The same with the cutlery game, which incidentally was very fiddly and difficult to see. Also I got pretty fed up with going up and down stairs, round passages and corners, I must have lost kilo's..!! Didn't like the photo sessions, you have to do them all wrong once before finding out that there are strict parameters, seemed a pointless frustration to me. Loved the US states game, have often tried to memorise them (as a non-American) but this is a great help.

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Nov 27, 11 9:24 PM
I really enjoyed this game. As a longtime fan of Nancy Drew games, it didn't disappoint. I liked the characters, story line, engaging tasks, level of difficulty and length. Sometimes the dialogue was a little tedious, but for the most part you expect that in a Nancy Drew game, so not a huge minus.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 6, 13 12:50 AM
This is a perfect nancy drew game; no impossible mini games and they have a reset buttons on a couple, no impossible timed element, a great story, largest amount of characters I think I've seen in a ND game.

It's set in a boarding school and you have to find the black cat - a person sending notes to other pupils and things then happen to them. I learned a lot in this game, from music to more about a famous writer. It was all so well done.

I love the more modern ND games as there isn't that intrusive old interface, and you get achievements at the end which are fun. If you don't get them all, go back to an old manual save near the end and try again (although one won't work at the end.)

It's a perfect balance of great plot but not too much dialogue (maybe it was the order I did it in), great mini-games of all types and hardness and a great pace. Some ND games are more adventure this is more adventure/mini games.

MINI-GAMES (spoilers ahead as to type)

I'm useless at arcade games but I do love some types and hate others but here they weren't hard (and I played on senior) and loved all of them. There were other non arcade, puzzles as well and some very intelligent (well thought out ones.) As usual you can't skip any puzzle but if you get stuck just go to a walkthrough, there are really no timed ones (thankfully) that you have to do (apart from sometimes the making food one). They were all very doable but you do need to work some out and get a pen and paper.

edit
- After I played this I went in to read reviews and realised the puzzle at the end was timed but by fluke I got it first time, it is a second chance one and only a limited choices you can make so it's not one of those very hard ones.

LOVED all of them and the variety of them.

Usually there are about 2 mini-games you can repeat as often as you want, here there are four. I just sat for hours playing the first three over and over!

1) A great dart game which anyone can take the rules and apply to any dart game - it's a bit different.
2) Air hockey
3) Making up orders. I appreciated this one as it was varied, mostly it wasn't timed so it was just fun. Sometimes it was (when a teacher orders) but it was just one order.
4) Timed match pair - You didn't have to do this so that was good but it was good.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 7:14:40 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 6, 13 12:52 AM
continued

If you play junior you get a to-do list which you tick off and hints from your friends when you phone them. Some puzzles are apparently slightly easier.

There is a thing called second chance if you make a fatal mistake but it's auto saved and takes you back to just before you made it which is good. It's manual save so save often.
It was so much fun from start to finish, I didn't find any annoying puzzles it was pure fun. The interactions (what you have to do) was very varied and thought out as well as the plot.

My favourite up till now has been white wolf, and venice but do think this tops it.

Not sure if it's your first ND game I'd recommend this, if you play it, do pick junior. The task list will help. LIke all ND games you NEED a pencil and paper to jot down some things.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 12:59:18 AM PST

[Post New]by dan2548 on Mar 16, 13 6:22 AM
Played nearly 50 Big Fish games, mostly hidden object, and decided to try a different genre. The puzzles were all very unique, and many required a bit of research. Was able to solve them all, but for the final puzzle with the pendulum I assumed the covers didn't repeat and just tried all options until I hit the correct one. Got kicked out of school many times before realizing I could hide at night. Fell out of the tree a half dozen times before realizing I could follow the squirrel. Took a lot of notes while trying to solve the puzzles, especially the one related to locating the valedictorian candidates on the website. This was the only puzzle that was similar to puzzles I've seen in the past, but it was still a good challenge. One issue I had was when trying to locate the stars in the cellar. The symbols on the stars were a little hard to distinguish. Another issue was trying to navigate the academy as the ND method seems a little awkward to me. I eventually mapped the building but it took a while to even do that. I played in Junior Detective mode, and that was a good thing as I'm not sure I could have finished the game in Senior mode. The task list made a huge difference. All in all, I really, really enjoyed this game and will definitely try more ND games.

Go to: