dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

Re:Welcome to Penny Dreadfuls™ Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition forum

[Post New]by dogmama on Jan 14, 10 6:31 AM
I am really enjoying this game! The graphics are wonderful, the hidden objects can be difficult though many aren't, and I love some of the comments (bordering on rude) when I tried to use the wrong inventory item

The game has 6 chapters, and I've read the chapters get longer as the game progresses. I also read that it is a 4-6 hour game even if one skips the mini games.

Not sure yet on buying the CE. I bought it for Dire Grove and am very happy I did. I did not buy the CE for the Edgar Allen Poe game and ended up not even purchasing the regular game. I don't fault BFG for offering the CE of this game first. It *might* be a condition of the publisher (Playpond) though I don't know that for sure. They have had it on their site for a couple of weeks now at $19.95.

A note about possible cursor problems. A friend dl'd the demo from the publisher and the cursor was very "jittery" to the point she coudn't play the game. Playpond is apparently working on a fix for it but she can play it in windowed mode and can stretch the window to a large size.

So far

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 14, 10 6:47 AM
Has anyone ever asked BFG if we can pre-order the regular edition of these games so that we can apply it to our current punch card?? Now that would be trick and I would order in a New York minute!!

gjnashif
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by gjnashif on Jan 14, 10 7:11 AM
For your info, there is a complete walkthrough for the CE edition of Penny in the blog sections of BFG......I will wait for the 6.99 version, I have played through part of the version and it is a wonderful game, but have not had to use the strategy guide yet.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 14, 10 7:50 AM
I have 38 min left on the demo , was it just (me) I spent 5 min. clicking on the nail , then I realized that it was the cursor ... very jerky , with that in mind , I have to say it's a no buy for 20$ but might reconsider for 7 $..Let me know if anyone else encountered this cursor problem ..Don't like being the odd man.. OUT.. fish like to drink too ! so cheers !!!

kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Jan 14, 10 8:33 AM
I have played thru 30 minutes of the demo. I bought the CE Version of Dire and Edger but will pass on this CE version. What I got thru was, to me, a very basic HOG with easy interaction. 20 dollars, IMHO, is not worth it for the guide.

Think I will wait for the 6.99 version. I do thank BF for the demo.

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Jan 14, 10 8:50 AM
Just dropped in to read reviews before trying this out.So thought I would add my thoughts to about it.I always laugh at how different we all are(which is great).Because so many people liked the CE Dire Grove and not many the CE Edger Allen Poe.Where I just couldnt stop playing Edger one til I finished it.Have still not finished the Dire Grove one.I have to spend too much time in the help section.But will get through it at some point.I dont mind paying more if I like it,so am happy to have an hour to see.Hope this is as good as Edger Allen Poe.And it will be a buy for me.So off to try it.So good gaming all you fish.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 14, 10 9:16 AM
OLDBAY wrote:I have 38 min left on the demo , was it just (me) I spent 5 min. clicking on the nail , then I realized that it was the cursor ... very jerky , with that in mind , I have to say it's a no buy for 20$ but might reconsider for 7 $..Let me know if anyone else encountered this cursor problem ..Don't like being the odd man.. OUT.. fish like to drink too ! so cheers !!!

No, I had the same problem on several things. Can't imagin how much "over clicking" it would cause in the challenging mode. I think I'm the odd man out here. I didn't think the graphics were that great, especially for playing the HOG puzzles. Seemed too grainy. Also didn't like the guy with the really bad cockney voice. Like I said, odd man out. This ones not for me. Didn't care for the short length of Poe but it had very clear, really beautiful graphics and good selection responce.

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 9:36:04 AM PST

Feistey5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Feistey5 on Jan 14, 10 9:16 AM
I agree with most of the comments on the graphics and the sounds but have also found the cursor very jittery, actually had to point it above each item!

youreyes13
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by youreyes13 on Jan 14, 10 9:26 AM
I'm downloading the demo now and wanted to come read the comments as to whether the CE was worth purchasing. It looks like most people are going to pass.

I purchsed both the MCF and EAP CE's and loved both games. MCF was certainly a good length, but the "Extras" weren't worth the extra money but I couldn't wait to play this game and therefore, didn't want to wait for the regular edition. EAP, however, did have some extra game play, which was enjoyable. I NEVER use the the Strategy Guides, the wallpaper, etc. so perhaps I'm not getting my money's worth. Basically I purchased these last two CE's because I couldn't wait to play them later and I'm happy to help BFG earn some extra money because they're so good to us.

However, I may wait for the regular edition of this game to be released (if I can restrain myself LOL) because $60 for 3 games in a short amount of time when normally you could get 8 games plus some $$$ left over is a little too expensive for me.

Also, I'm a little surprised BFG is releasing a CE so soon after the other 2 since they said there would only be 1-2 released a YEAR. Oh well, I love BFG and if I could afford to keep paying $20/game I would, but I can't. It does bug me though that by not buying the CE, we won't get to play the "extra" hidden object scenes. Since these CE's are almost 3 times the anount of a regular game, I wish they'd put in A LOT more hidden object scenes or extra gameplay because it looks like there are quite a few other people who don't use the Strategy Guide either.

Anywho...I'm off the play the demo.

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 9:31:49 AM PST

pocojazz
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by pocojazz on Jan 14, 10 9:28 AM
You're not the odd man out on graphics. I thought the graphics were very good until you get to the hidden object scenes. The graphics in poe and dire were so superior to this one. It is a shame too, because this is a good game. Love the commentary and also love, as someone else said that you don't have to click closed all the time or keep clicking for dialogue. Great feature!

I am on the fence as far as CE. I will probably wait because of the graphics in the hidden object scenes. I don't mind some darkness, but I like for the objects to be clear and this game just doesn't deliver on that imho. The music, dialogue, play, bobby are superior though.

Poco

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 14, 10 9:35 AM
cll1950 wrote:
OLDBAY wrote:I have 38 min left on the demo , was it just (me) I spent 5 min. clicking on the nail , then I realized that it was the cursor ... very jerky , with that in mind , I have to say it's a no buy for 20$ but might reconsider for 7 $..Let me know if anyone else encountered this cursor problem ..Don't like being the odd man.. OUT.. fish like to drink too ! so cheers !!!

No, I had the same problem on several things. Can't imagin how much "over clicking" it would cause in the challenging mode. I think I'm the odd man out here. I didn't think the graphics were that great, especially for playing the **** puzzles. Seemed too grainy. Also didn't like the guy with the really bad cockney voice. Like I said, odd man out. This ones not for me. Didn't care for the short length of Poe but it had very clear, really beautiful graphics and good selection responce.
Well i did buy.. Dire Grove , and Poe ..as well & I expect perfection ,for that price , & will pay it, but this one leaves High & Dry ..I expected better , at first I thought the grainy was me ..but since others have mentioned it , I realize I'm not the only one in the boat....... AHOOY......

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 14, 10 9:50 AM
Thanks to the few that agree about the graphics. I kept seeing all the praise for the graphics and thought either I had the wrong game or sometning. I'll try the last 30 min. and see if I like it any better but it seems to lack that certain "charm that RTR and Poe had. Also, I love spooky games, but I'm about burnt out on "buckets of blood" games. I can't wait untill someone comes out with something spooky and dynamic that doesn't envolve a lot of slashing and blood-letting or blood dripping from peoples teeth. I read all the time, I know there are some great stories out there that would make wonderful games. Have fun with this one, fishies who love it.

[Post New]by SaucySideDish on Jan 14, 10 10:05 AM
Hey everyone,

Really happy to see there is a demo with this one. Sorry to hear some fishes are having some troubles with the game, because I've no problems and really love this game.

I posted in another thread on the mouse thing, but I'll mention it here in case it might help anyone who wants to keep playing this game. The only thing I can think of is that when you click on an item to pick up, you just need to use the arrow to point at the item. The little animated "hand" is only for show (kind of a hint, letting you know you can do something).

Anyway, I'm just excited Big Fish was able to get this game, and I hope they get more like this, cause it's a definite must have for those who like a bit more "meat" (pardon the pun, lol) to their games.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 14, 10 10:14 AM
Maybe the graphics quality has to do with one's own monitor? Because I have one of the old clunky CRT monitors (not widescreen) and the graphics are incredibly sharp and clear, and I was expecting the opposite. Strange.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 14, 10 10:17 AM
I love Surf & Turf ,..

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 14, 10 10:28 AM
Can't play it - ye olde computer isn't up to this one. Shame! Looks beautiful! Hope everyone else enjoys it!

BrenSommer
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by BrenSommer on Jan 14, 10 10:38 AM
lynnestock wrote:

Oh and another thing..just my two cents, but I think that if we "buoycott" Collector's editions, then BFG might get off this kick of releasing $20 versions of games weeks before the $7 version. If ppl want the CE, they will buy it. Releasing it before the regular version is manipulative.

I have to respectfully disagree. One of the perks of purchasing the CE is that you get to play it before the regular edition comes out. I would feel very cheated if I paid $20 for it and it was available the next day - or even the next week - for $6.99. That would be one of the reasons I paid extra for the game. If they were both offered at the same time, I don't think anyone would actually buy the $20 game.

I think this is a great compromise. Big Fish isn't "forcing" anyone to pay $20 for a game, you can certainly wait for the regular version, but they are offering a premium game for a premium price. I would venture to say that the more money they make off of the games, the more money they have to put in to making more awesome games like MCF.

I remember a time - not too long ago - when I paid $20 for every game I downloaded. Then I found BF and joined the club. Even then there were a lot of people who were complaining that they had to commit to a game a month in order to get the games for $6.99. (I can't imagine not being able to commit to a game a month - I could commit to a game a week!) Then, BF changed it so that EVERYONE could get the $6.99 - Game Club member or not.

I think BF is a HUGE value for your entertainment dollar! If you are willing to pay the $20 for a CE, that's great. If you aren't, that's fine too - you're just going to have to wait longer to get the game. I don't see where this is manipulation. It is simply good business.

Just my 2 cents worth! Bren

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 14, 10 11:05 AM
vicalana wrote:Can't play it - ye olde computer isn't up to this one. Shame! Looks beautiful! Hope everyone else enjoys it!
I have a vista ..& I had 38 min left ..to 24 min left ..I spent ALL that TIME clicking on the Paper in the STREET !!!!..Wont let me have it ..This game has way to many glitches , ,, for the price.. So your not the only one , Vicalana ,

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Jan 14, 10 11:25 AM
Okay...here is my opinion. I have vista and the game worked beautifully. I did not have any technical trouble and the graphics were clear and sharp. I am not a fan of dark scenes;having said that, even though a few of the scenes in this game were dark they were not so dark that I could not see the items I needed to find. I thought that this was an excellent game and a good deal for people who like the CE editions. So, did I buy it after playing the trial...you betcha!

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Jan 14, 10 11:46 AM
I just purchased the game, as I did with the other 2 CE games here. The only thing I think the company should do when they offer the CE games, at the higher price, is include the game CD with it.

Go to: