Prissi
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:The Search for Amelia Earhart

[Post New]by Prissi on Jan 16, 10 10:53 AM
It seems to me that there is a certain something that a game either has or doesn't have that makes it a definite buy. This one lacks this quality. The run-of-the-mill HOG has too many intrusive and insipid interruptions. I didn't care for the graphic style, and the music was fairly neutral.

I get the sneaking suspicion that BF deliberately offers so-so games at or around the same time a new collector's edition comes out just so we will think it is worth it to pay the extra money for it. This game and yesterday's only seems to confirm that fact in my mind. But I still love BF and buy almost all my games from them.

Edited on 01/16/2010 at 10:53:47 AM PST

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Jan 16, 10 11:26 AM
Yikes! I hated this game! Much too much dialogue.....nearly every time you clicked on an object, the girl popped in a comment. The hidden objects were just unclear, muddled up junk piles.....nothing to do with the story. Big thumbs down for me......not one that I would buy!

delrio_gw
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by delrio_gw on Jan 16, 10 12:44 PM
played demo for 20 minutes and gave up completely driven mad by the incessant pop ups, nearly every time you find an item you get a box - didn't bother reading anything after the first two, just did my head in.

this means that if one DID contain important information, it's unlikely it'd be read by anyone except those with the patience of a saint.

what could have been a fun game celebrating a great figure in history has been made annoying

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 16, 10 1:11 PM
Well, I must be in somewhat of a minority because after reading the reviews here, I really didn't expect too much from this game. However, I found that I really, really liked it and ended up playing the entire demo without realizing it! That doesn't happen to me very often at all because I really try to leave a few minutes on the time in case I don't buy immediately and want a second look at a later date.

I found the graphics to be very good for me. Some of the objects looked a bit different than I expected, but they were still very easily identifiable. Notice that I said "easily identifiable" and NOT "easily found" LOL! Like Poodlebear said, the game did an EXCELLENT job of hiding the items! Most of them are even in somewhat to be expected places and not scattered in totally weird places in the scene. However, many are NOT very easily found, and I found myself needing more hints than usual....of course, after using a hint, I was usually going DUH!

I thought the jigsaw puzzles were a good break from the HOG scenes. I liked doing the coordinate gadget because it did take a bit of thinking at first to figure out, and it was different. As far as interactivity, there is happily more than I expected.

When it comes to FTD scenes, I know I'm in the minority with those as well because so many people don't like them, but I do like them if they are done well, and I thought these were done VERY well, and I found them more than a little challenging at times...hints were useful here as well. LOL! One thing I appreciated about these AND the HOG scenes is that they both seemed to be very fair to the player without trying to "trick" the player. My one biggest gripe about FTD scenes is that with most of them (this game included), the edges of the scenes don't match up either because of the borders put around them or because they aren't cropped at exactly the same places along the edges. I do understand the reason for the blurry edges in this game, but that isn't the problem.

The flashing "skip" button was quite distracting for me as well, but I just tried not to look in that direction. However, I didn't like having to try hard NOT to look. The circles that appeared when you found the differences didn't bother me because they didn't stay on the screen long.

Overall, I think it's a very good (not great) game and will very likely purchase it at some point.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 16, 10 1:29 PM
Not for me , no way to shut her up ,

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Jan 16, 10 2:11 PM
I thought this game was, at best, low average. The landlord was creepy and totally unnecessary to the game. Perhaps the objects are well hidden, but I was more of the opinion that the cartoonish drawing of the game scenes made the objects difficult to see. Perhaps I am wrong. To put out a game about Amelia Earhart is fine, but the game commented something about not always being correct about her or having taken liberties with her history, so as a consequence, I did not pay attention to what the game said about her. There is no real mystery about Amelia Earhart other than choosing whether to believe she crashed on an island or her plane went into the ocean when she ran out of fuel after not being able to find the island where she was to land. She was a woman who did much to advance women in our society, but, sadly, she would have done even more if she had chosen her route more carefully and had then lived to receive the praise she would have garnered! And personally, there has been so much searching for her remains that I suspect her plane went into the ocean.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Jan 16, 10 3:16 PM
Poodlebear, if you review and like a game - I'll buy it. I agree with this one - hated the landlord, the flashing "skip", and actually didn't much care for the game. I'm pretty easy to please, and was frankly bored with this one. Yes, they hid the objects well - so what. Very uninspired.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 16, 10 6:00 PM
Not tried this game yet but have some 'information' about what happened to Amelia Earheart which may amuse!

She was actually abducted by aliens, along with her navigator Fred Noonan and hundreds of other people from Earth in 1937. She and about half a dozen others were cryogenically frozen for 400 years and were revered. No-one disturbed their cryogenic chamber until they were discovered and unfrozen by the crew of the Federation starship Voyager.

All of the other abductees who were not frozen created a 'new' Earth on the planet they were taken to. Amelia, Fred and the remainder of the frozen humans stayed on the planet, despite Amelia's obvious desire as a pilot to fly a starship.

'Information' courtesy of Star Trek:Voyager episode 'The 37's'!!

kroozkitty
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,144 Posts

[Post New]by kroozkitty on Jan 17, 10 9:29 AM
I love HOGs but this one definitely "unimpressed" me. I deleted the trial after about 15 minutes.... just found it boring and a bit annoying.

wrath6
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wrath6 on Jan 17, 10 2:05 PM
I didnt care for this game, some may like the story line (have nothing against Amelia Earhart) but the constant pop-ups with tidbits of information concerning her life was annoying. Also in the beginning when Chrissie (if i remember correctly) got her home, she said Amelia inspired her to use her gift, but her gift was not mentioned until later. It seems like the story started in the middle and i didnt understand the landlord (was he supposed to be comic relief). The game is not very interactive and straight HOGs are not mine type of game. I did like that if you solved a mini-game, you could earn hints and so it was easy to recharge hints. The graphics were not the best - they seemed sort of amateurish. So far still searching for february punch card.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 17, 10 10:05 PM
Kind of torn here. Christine needs to SHUT UP! Graphix are nothing spectacular & neither is the music. That coordinates thingy was a good concept but a bad execution of it. No warning that hints were taken away for wrong clicks or that skipping minigames penalized you by refusing to hand over more. Really irked me to have to put together endless ripped pieces of paper to get one lousy hint out of it.

B/c you needed em! The HOs ranged from medium to hard to really hard & nothing was EZ to find, so I'm torn b/c that was challenging. I wanted to like it better but I think the negatives overwhelm the one positive aspect. I can deal w/ meh graphix for a good storyline, but I can't figure out what the storyline was supposed to be other than Christine being rather obsessed w/ Amerlia Earhart & apparently unfazed at her ability to time travel w/ her gadget. And the hint system was lousy. It wouldn't have mattered so much if the game was EZ, but it was very challenging to find things. I only got up to the airplane engine thing b4 demo ended & I think that was the 3rd level. You don't know how long I was stuck in that kitchen looking for a cucumber b4 I gave up! And quite surprised Christine didn't pop up & go, "Gosh, I'm hungry. I could make a salad with that" LOL

Challenge of HOs is worth it, but the rest of it is annoying. Maybe for 99 cents.

churly72
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by churly72 on Jan 18, 10 3:26 AM
i like this game, i am in scepter 10, but i stopted fore a while, now i will play again, but have to start all over again...why??? is that normal??

kjyjr
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by kjyjr on Jan 18, 10 6:36 PM
how many levels are there in this game.

slester
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by slester on Jan 18, 10 7:10 PM
I did not like this game at all. Way, way too much dialog to have to skip thru. The flashing arrows on the Skip button were just way too annoying. I deleted after 7 min of play. Will not be buying this one.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 19, 10 9:25 AM
I am a little bit dissapointed. This game could be so good (I like the story about Amelia Earhart). But the graphic is really bad and it is nothing interesting. I hope we get this week a much better hog.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Jan 20, 10 10:37 AM
just finish demo and i wont buy it neither on daily deal, graphic is very bad and in full screen mode it's all a pixel! i have to click on the same object 20 times before this crap graphic understand where i was clicking. maybe a good game for who have a small screen but a not one for a large screen .

corbs123
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,701 Posts

[Post New]by corbs123 on Jan 22, 10 4:53 AM
Yes stuck in kitchen have done the 2 other rooms, and i do hate her popping up all the time yes i am not completly!! stupid so stop telling me what i have just done. will not be buying this game.

Pleiadestar
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Pleiadestar on Jan 22, 10 5:58 PM
I started the demo...ran outta time so I figured I have a credit why not buy? Welllllll there's a catch. Once you buy the game you HAVE TO START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING. I am soooo annoyed! I played for the full hour - I had a pretty good start on the game and now to have to do it all over again is ridiculous!

And yes, that landlord is a skeeze - and I really don't need the comments - but I love Amelia so I will tolerate them.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 23, 10 11:21 PM
I deleated afyer 35 min. Was gonna give it the full hour but I was so tired of the blond popping up eveytime I found something. It was a bit cheesy anyway. Was there any reason for putting that discusting landlord in? Dissapointed. really wanted this to be good.

Go to: