patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Re:Cate West: The Vanishing Files Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 14, 10 1:37 AM
Love this game. The Hidden Objects are not so small that these old eyes can not see them. The graphics are very, very good and not to dark. The dialog moves slow enough to read, but fast enough to keep the game flowing. The music is not bad, but then I had it turned down pertty far.

This Cate West has my favorite puzzles --- compare pictures and find the differneces or in reverse -- put back missing items.

I would have purchased Cate West: The Vanishing Files at 6,99, but at 2.99 as the Catch of the Week ... what a deal.

Thanks BF .

pat

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jun 14, 10 12:13 PM
Slite wrote:If you like HOGs, then this is a totally great 2.99 game. My only advice is that this game is most enjoyable if you just play one or two chapters at a time and stretch it out over several days. Otherwise, it can feel too repetitive.

You are so right. I bought this a while back & found I enjoyed it about 40 minutes at a time. I thought The Velvet Keys was better, but for a straight HOG, this game is worth it.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 16, 10 10:22 PM
I had forgotten what this game was like so I had to go to another site to demo it again. After demoing it again, I remembered why I didn't purchase this game for $6.99. The whole "supernatural" element/theme just turned me off. However, for $2.99, it is an enjoyable game and I made sure to come back here to purchase it.

If you want a relaxing game to play, this one would be perfect. Yes, it does have an over abundance of find-the-difference, which I absolutely loathe, but the differences aren't too, too difficult and you have unlimited hints. Basically every level is the same, with different scenes, but if you don't try to finish the game in one sitting, you should be fine and not get bored.

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

spoiler

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Jun 28, 10 4:47 PM
I did NOT like this game, and wish I had saved my money for something else.

There is clever, then there is "clever". The "cleverness" of this one spoiled it for me. The objects were not hidden, they were buried - and so should this game be.

The only thing that kept me playing was the storyline. I've had the game for two weeks, and still haven't finished it because it gives me a tremendous headache.

I will not be buying anymore Cate West games. Sorry, fishies.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on Jul 7, 10 7:00 PM
Slite wrote:If you like HOGs, then this is a totally great 2.99 game. My only advice is that this game is most enjoyable if you just play one or two chapters at a time and stretch it out over several days. Otherwise, it can feel too repetitive.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I paid 2.99, because for full pop or credit, the monotony would make me feel cheated. I may just keep this one Cate West game so that I have something idiotic to play for 15 minutes instead of watching the drapes fade.

OK, so that was snarky, but there is a need out there for this pure HOG, and as such, that's all it is. If you want something more, that's out there too. Thanks BF for the variety!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Aug 28, 10 8:13 PM
Cate West: The Vanishing Files is a straight HOG with a lot of variety and an interesting story. To make it even more interesting, there are alternate endings depending on how many points you earn during the game.

For every chapter (level) you have HOG scenes, spot-the-differences scenes, fragmented object scenes and finally, a replace-the-object kind of spot-the-differences scene and finally, figure out the who the criminal is.

If you can remember multiple items from the list and click on them concurrently, you will be bonus points - ie. instead of 100 points per object, you'll get 100 points for the first object, and 200 points for each object you find quickly after the first.

A minor qualm is that you cannot just click-click-click the items as you find them, you have to wait for the first item you click to register and be removed from the list before clicking the next one. This is good in a way, as it gives you more time to look for items and get those bonus points!

I do NOT care for your average spot-the-difference gameplay, and this one is no different in that respect, so I just gritted my teeth and worked through them when they came up. What I do really like is the replace-the-object scenes. Very fun, and a good way to rack up the bonus points if you can place multiple items in a row.

The graphics remind me very much of Lost in the City, a game I really enjoyed. Like Lost in the City, this is a very long game, so I generally played one level each time I decided to play - it lasted me for a couple of months! Levels (chapters) get longer as progress through the game. By the time I got to the final chapter, there were six locations to search (hidden object scenes) and four FROG scenes. The game has 15 chapters, so you can see why I was able to enjoy it for such a long time!

The story is memorable enough that you can walk away from the game (as I did) and come back without losing anything. I really enjoyed this game (although the sequel is even better ) and am glad I bought it

mafabray
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by mafabray on Sep 8, 10 7:55 AM
If you like straight HOG then you will like this game,I prepher a little adventure. So this wouldn't be my first choice,maybe if I was really bored.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Dec 4, 10 9:32 PM
This game was very long - 15 chapters of repetitive tasks -- finding HOs in junkpiles. Items were difficult to find because of the poor graphics. In addition, the items had nothing to do with the story line. And, why do the developers need to place a very large snake in every hidden object scene? What's the point? The dialogue is non-existent. Sometimes a character would say one word followed by a stream of written words. I believe the developers should exercise more thought in building the story line and include only pertient items to discover and use. I'm glad I only paid $2.99 for it!

Edited on 12/04/2010 at 9:34:43 PM PST

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

spoiler

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 20, 11 4:47 PM
Ariztokat wrote:There is clever, then there is "clever". The "cleverness" of this one spoiled it for me. The objects were not hidden, they were buried - and so should this game be.

This is the same conclusion I came to. I admire hidden object scenes where the game developers cleverly hide the objects. Throwing as much as possible into a scene to hide objects is not clever hiding.

The mini-games were all the same thing, although I did enjoy the identify the suspect game.

I like that apparently the ending is different depending on the score you achieve.

Overall, not really the game for me.

[Post New]by animefan18 on Sep 24, 12 12:22 PM
This game is fun but repetitive. I give it 6 out of 10, a detective story with biblical elements.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Sep 29, 13 1:24 PM
This is definitely an old school HOG. BUT .. it has a story, good graphics, variety of play and keeps you hooked to find out how it ends. It has junkpile HOGs, STD, HOGs where you replace items and FROGS. And then you have to identify the guilty party. It is long but didn't drag. I played it one chapter at a time so it stretched out for quite a while. I'm glad I got this game.

Go to: