prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

Re:Nick Chase and the Deadly Diamond

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 29, 10 3:56 AM
cll1950 wrote:Crashed. Don't think I'll try again. The voice over was the thing I liked best.

First one -
Very slow when text runs - Voiceover is great. Why mess it up with comic book text?
Custom cursor "floats" - no turn off choice.
Crashes
Crashes
Crashes
Too bad. Could have been a great game.

If you guys can't do better than this, don't bother with a "Nick Chase 3"

Sorry- you are playing the first game if you have a voice over.

silver64
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by silver64 on Jan 29, 10 4:53 AM

I have the same slow game play problem- even after changing the cursor option. TOOOOO SlOOOOOWWWWWW

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 29, 10 4:53 AM
Looks like a guy version of Samantha Swift as far as the cartoon renderings and gameplay. Like the dry humor and if you don't like teeny objects, this is your HOG, in your face objects LOL Could be a fun game but....

SLO-MO on Vista laptop, I mean even dialog goes one l e t t e r a t a t i m e, waiting for a complete sentence. They should give 2 hours on the demo if it's going to run half speed. Cursor imposible so switched to normal. But then I wasn't getting a mag glass so wore out my hand random clicking for hot spots.
Closed and switched off Vista Aero to Vista Basic. Didn't seem to make a difference . Only one other game did this out of around 100 and it was Treasure Seekers2, Canvases altho TS1 ran ok. CS never could figure the problem unless it is the Nvidea graphics card. However when I got further along slomo it did speed up a bit, maybe chapter 2 but not normal. Even DG and long file Million Dollar Quest ran fine just slow to load.

Good news is DL on desktop pc, 4 years old, HP Pavillion, Pent4XP, a quarter of the RAM (512) as on Vista laptop (2gs) and it ran just fine on the clunker. So go figure. May be the pc graphics card, Intel. Jigsaw took some time to finish so skipped some puzzles to move along but just got as far as him looking for a blowtorch or something to get out of basement or store room (?)

If it weren't end of month and have 7 games I may go for it just for light entertainment or dry spell so big maybe list. It is a change of pace for variety of themes and mood. And simple enough so far for me. But since I hate to buy games that won't run on the laptop I doubt I'd get it, that's what I bought the laptop for, just games on my bed.

I give it a ?

Edited on 01/29/2010 at 6:41:09 AM PST

KimVJ
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by KimVJ on Jan 29, 10 5:08 AM
Man... what a disappointment My heart sank when I didn't hear Harrington's Bogart-like voice. His voice really tied the game together for me, and playing the game without, while possible, just makes it feel flat.

My heart sank even more when I found they tried to broaden the appeal of the game by adding HOG (Hidden Object Game) elements. I loved the first game because the things you searched for had a direct bearing on what you were trying to do - i.e. to clean the fishbowl you picked up the brush and used it on the bowl, you didn't need to search for safety pins, a violin, a chess piece, neck ties, and pens, in order to finally get a brush. I know that there are players who enjoy the HOG games where you have to hunt through random objects... but I don't and having to do them lessened the game for me.

I bought the first game when it first came out and thought it was better than the second, which I will not be buying.

bfogc
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by bfogc on Jan 29, 10 5:26 AM
With so many complaints,I don't know if I want to purchase this game.I really liked the first one.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 29, 10 6:01 AM
I also have the same problem, game is terribly slow and jerky, dialogue types 1 letter at a time, had same prob with first Nick Chase game and also Treasure Seekers. Updated drivers for NVidia card but no difference. I have other games with far more intricate graphics and they run perfectly. But since other people seem to have probs with the same graphics card, perhaps it's the problem. Unfortunately a definite no buy for me; my credit is burning a hole waiting for a really good game!

Louky
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Louky on Jan 29, 10 6:09 AM
I have played 45 minutes and love the game , i have not had any problems.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Jan 29, 10 6:28 AM
add me to the list....very slow and jerky, only tried 2 mins and then gave up, quite a few games have been like that lately...luckily none of them held much interest for me anyway, but that is not the point is it?

[Post New]by Marniem on Jan 29, 10 6:39 AM
It's working fine for me. I automatically turn off custom cursors whenever I'm given the chance -- why on earth do they use them in the first place? They always seem to slow everything down and I don't want a giant cursor blocking my view anyway. For the puzzle pieces, I found I had to click on the piece and THEN right-click it to rotate -- a bit awkward. Not a bad game but not one I'd buy. At the moment I'm stuck trying to turn on the water. I'm just banging around with my wrench on the pipes. LOL, what am I missing??

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 29, 10 6:44 AM
No issues running on Vista SP1

vloert
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,089 Posts

[Post New]by vloert on Jan 29, 10 6:46 AM
Marniem wrote:It's working fine for me. I automatically turn off custom cursors whenever I'm given the chance -- why on earth do they use them in the first place? They always seem to slow everything down and I don't want a giant cursor blocking my view anyway. For the puzzle pieces, I found I had to click on the piece and THEN right-click it to rotate -- a bit awkward. Not a bad game but not one I'd buy. At the moment I'm stuck trying to turn on the water. I'm just banging around with my wrench on the pipes. LOL, what am I missing??

A valve, front right, if I remember it correctly.

Edited on 01/29/2010 at 6:48:10 AM PST

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 29, 10 6:50 AM
If you still can't find it, the screenshot has it marked here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/nick-chase-and-the-deadly-diamond-walkthrough/

catathang
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by catathang on Jan 29, 10 7:02 AM
I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the kit, so can anyone tell me 1 divided 0.2 is!

Lynnet67
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Lynnet67 on Jan 29, 10 7:07 AM
I quite enjoyed this game, not sure whether I will buy it though.

Catathang the answer is 5....

Edited on 01/29/2010 at 7:08:55 AM PST

1Seashell7
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by 1Seashell7 on Jan 29, 10 7:09 AM
I enjoyed the game but I had 7 games this month and with the extra for the collectors edition I am way over six. It would be great if they gave us another credit for 9 games like they did in November. I will wait until the first of the month before I purchase anything else even though I have credits.

[Post New]by Marniem on Jan 29, 10 7:18 AM
Thanks guys -- I'll go back in and turn on that water.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 29, 10 8:09 AM
I have no problems at all running the game. I am disappointed that we don't hear Nick's voice, but otherwise I find the game to be of high quality with great graphics and nice music. I will be buying it at some point.

podette
Clownfish
Clownfish
527 Posts

[Post New]by podette on Jan 29, 10 9:10 AM
Has anyone any idea how long the game lasts, roughly of course.

Thanks buddies x x

Edited on 01/29/2010 at 9:11:20 AM PST

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 29, 10 9:52 AM
i don't care if it was Brad Pitts voice that was on it ...that wouldn't change the zero quality of this game ..now if it was Brad's Body ...I might consider ...

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jan 29, 10 9:54 AM
No problems at all running this game. Got Windows XP. Enjoying this one. Will buy next month - nearly there (only 2 days to go!). I love task based games with lots of puzzles rather than straight hidden objects. I'm also going to get Green Moon, so I will have a good mix of difficult (good for the brain) and relaxing (good for the stress levels) games.

Whoa - I've become a starfish!!!

Edited on 01/29/2010 at 9:55:11 AM PST

Go to: