shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:Please, enough of these games of witchcraft

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Jan 31, 10 2:14 PM
Most, if not all games have a walkthrough for you to look at see if there is "stuff" in it you may not like . For me the spookier the better..and I'm not much for the new romance oneS............to each there own, that's why they make so many different kinds.

LadyLilithAnn
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLilithAnn on Jan 31, 10 5:47 PM
Very well put nocturnadawn. Most of our ancestors would find this amusing as they mixed their "potions" to survive in their time. I bought the game and have enjoyed it thus far. I have to admit to printing off the walkthrough on this one.

annari24
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by annari24 on Jan 31, 10 6:35 PM
Kalavinka wrote:They are just games and should not be taken too seriously. I do not agree with witchcraft, but neither do I think that people should impose fundamental viewpoints on others either. I am a good Catholic-- a little bit of magic in a game is not going to sway me towards the "dark side". I am too smart and strong for that. Indeed, the most evil people in history have been those that fostered intolerance and censorship towards other people. I like the majic and think that it should stay-- it is a fun aspect of these games. I also like ancient Egypt and think that it should stay. I even like cartoons. There are plenty of games out there that do not have these elements in them. Besides, the title of this particular game-- Green Moon, should have served as a big clue as to the potential content.

As for skulls-- we all have one, and so how can this be witchcraft? Sorry, but I think that censorship is the greater evil.

HOWEVER, I do think that BF should warn people about any sort of occult content. This will help buyers to purchase games that are appropriate for them. I do not think that someone should have to pay for something that they dissapprove of.-Kala

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 2, 10 5:25 AM
Kalavinka wrote:Now come on Taeltann-- sometimes a good warning label can improve an experience! The best things seem to come with warning labels! What warns one-- draws another.

Ha, ha...very true Kalavinka!

In this case though, in casual gaming no less, warning labels you think acceptable seem rather extreme and not to mention insensitive to those who happen to practice religions that include actual (not fantasy) witchcraft. What is a 'cult' or 'dark side' to one is the religion or the spiritual belief or is a valid, positive practice to another. Not everyone shares the same religious constraints nor should everyone be made to feel as we should; particularly when dealing with what are fictional fantasy themes in casual games.

No information about games is hidden. Given free one hour trials, all the walk through's made available, the game discussions, the reviews, and the questions one can directly ask people who've played the games to the end right here in the forums...what more can people want or need to make a decision? Thankfully, it appears there is a big market for fantasy themes; and count me in, I love them.

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Feb 2, 10 7:25 AM
Oh brother, overreact much? The one hour trial provides more than sufficient opportunity to discover the content of any given game; between that and the description provided, no one is twisting your arm to buy anything that you do not want to. Besides there are plenty of other games on BFG: cops and robbers, world travel, international intrigue, spies, etc, that have not the slightest hint of the supernatural. So if it curdles your milk, don't buy it! Sheesh!

Oh and incidentally I happen to have been a Christian for more than forty years; if a person is strong in his faith, a few fairy stories are certainly not going to make a shred of difference!

Edited on 02/02/2010 at 7:27:53 AM PST

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Feb 2, 10 11:18 AM
Oh my!! *Dances...

I wrote yesterday when I had played my 60 min. trial. I HAD to come back and let everyone know that this game is definately NOT about witchcraft, or witches or anything like that. I finished it a while ago and beyond the mixing some ingredients alchemy style, there is nothing more spooky to the game. It is about terra forming the moon of all things! I won't write more so I don't spoil it, but I would really hate to see someone miss out on this one because they got the wrong impression of it. It is truly the best game I have played on here in a good long while. There are parts that have truly stunning graphics. Really different and totally fun mini games. I will add that, while the game is not about witchcraft, you do time travel and at one point visit a shaman, and later a witch. I am adding that so that someone does not come on later and yell at me..lol. You get to visit the old west, pirates, Egypt and all sorts of places! I am so glad I bought this one

Bhilithinn
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Bhilithinn on Feb 2, 10 8:45 PM
Hmm maybe if there should be warnings of witchcraft and occult elements being included in games, there should also be warnings every time symbols like a cross are included. Hey, it might offend some people too!

Ok, of course I'm joking about adding content advisory for all religious symbols. But you have to keep in mind that people who play games are from a variety of different cultural and religious backgrounds. Not everyone will share the same view on these subjects. So chances are every one of us (myself included) will find something in a game that offends us.

When that happens you can simply stop playing the game and not purchase it.

Myself I like elements of magic and a spooky atmosphere . But I know this will not be everyone's taste.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 3, 10 1:01 AM
I only got thru 10 min of this one not b/c of anything objectionable save that I thought the game was utter carp & was mislabeled a HOG when it was a LFA. But just looking at the thumbnail.....yeah, I'm thinkin' anything depicted w/ a raven perched upon a barren branch over a full moon that's a nauseating green, likely it's going to have a "creep factor" somewhere. I'm thinkin' where there's a video & screenshots available, plus a walkthru usually within a day or so of release, that's enough info to make an "informed consumer choice" on apparent content & pass if it's not your idea of fun. B/c once you start calling for "banning" of certain genres, you've started down the slippery slope & do you think anyone will be left to care when whatever it is that you prefer gets yanked off the market, too? If everyone liked the exact same thing we'd have a pretty boring choice of games.

I'm trying to remember a game w/ actual witchcraft in it & I can't. I really can't. And to say there's "elements" of witchcraft in a game.....well, unless you ARE a practicing witch, how do you truly know that? From the movies? LOL C'mon.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Feb 3, 10 7:23 AM
I'd like to see more games with real witchcraft (not this 'play' stuff) and warnings on games that have a bunch of Christian items, especially when they are inappropriate to the game (rosaries, crosses, etc.) Using 'tarot' that is not tarot is my pet peeve. And tarot has many more Christian images than Pagan <surprise!).

Oh, I'm not serious about the Xtian warning. I generally chalk it off to foreign game developers but the rosary in Sleepy Hollow was a little startling. The Hudson Valley wasn't exactly an RC area .

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 3, 10 7:24 AM
Oh dear - banning games because of mixing potions? I feel sorry for some people - they must have missed out in their childhood of such things as Cinderella (turning pumpkins into coaches, rags into ball gowns etc), Snow White and queens turning into witches, poisoned apples. No Alice in Wonderland, I'm sure there are many more examples. - what a dull childhood.

Please get a grip, people. It is a fantasy game. You also time travel in it - are we to ban time travel games as well as it's not possible in real life. It is just a fantastic (in its true sense) story.

I am loving this game, a true masterpiece, even if I haven't got very far!! Off to look at walkthrough now.

LadyLilithAnn
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLilithAnn on Feb 3, 10 8:05 PM
I have just finished the game. This game to me is about creation and sustaining life. Will not say more for the people who have not finished.
To Dancer: I hope you reconsider playing this. I think you would be surprised at the end.

theolone
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by theolone on Feb 3, 10 9:14 PM

Most games are typically based on either fantasy or mystery- at least as far as I can tell. People like fantasy partly because it provides an additional element of escapism. However, as someone mentioned there are lots of games coming out that have a romantic theme. I noticed that even Nora Roberts has one coming out. This might be worth checking out.

i agree that games are deliberately based in fantasy or mystery (and i'll add mythology) -- for instance, the Dream Chronicles series, or the final Ravenhearst game -- both involve adults & children in what would, in a reality setting, be very distressiing situations. placing the characters in a fantasy/mystery world creates a necessary emotional distance and allows us to have fun with the game -- WARNING SEMI SPOILERISH STUFF AHEAD it's not a *real^ husband who's separated from his wife, or a real child who's been kidnapped and held. those aren't real ghost (formerly live) children who are asking for your help -- they were never real.

can you imagine the feeling of playing a game that required you to find a bunch of hidden objects (and the occasional useful one), wander around the country side or a big house without knowing what's ahead, or to solve a bunch of weird puzzles in order to rescue a child in a too-real-world situation?

for me, the suspension of belief inherent in fantasy, magical, or mythical worlds helps because i know none of those things are real, nor are they likely to become real (trust me. if any sort of "Witchcraft" actually worked, we'd all be witches and rich to boot. the honking big CZ on my ring finger would be real, my kitchen would be clean, and the dog wouldn't bark when i'm on the phone.)

badgernflash
Catfish
Catfish
1,706 Posts

[Post New]by badgernflash on Feb 4, 10 6:00 AM
ooooooooooo i love witch craft and magic, im a harry potter fan and im gonna go to hogwarts when i die to become a hogwarts ghost. bring on the spells

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Feb 4, 10 7:42 AM
QEIII wrote:Oh dear - banning games because of mixing potions? I feel sorry for some people - they must have missed out in their childhood of such things as Cinderella (turning pumpkins into coaches, rags into ball gowns etc), Snow White and queens turning into witches, poisoned apples. No Alice in Wonderland, I'm sure there are many more examples. - what a dull childhood.

Please get a grip, people. It is a fantasy game. You also time travel in it - are we to ban time travel games as well as it's not possible in real life. It is just a fantastic (in its true sense) story.

I am loving this game, a true masterpiece, even if I haven't got very far!! Off to look at walkthrough now.

Am I missing something? I don't see that anyone in this thread has recommended banning games.

Edited on 02/04/2010 at 7:44:15 AM PST

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 4, 10 8:59 AM
ducle wrote:
QEIII wrote:Oh dear - banning games because of mixing potions? I feel sorry for some people - they must have missed out in their childhood of such things as Cinderella (turning pumpkins into coaches, rags into ball gowns etc), Snow White and queens turning into witches, poisoned apples. No Alice in Wonderland, I'm sure there are many more examples. - what a dull childhood.

Am I missing something? I don't see that anyone in this thread has recommended banning games.

loonylimey
Clownfish
Clownfish
522 Posts

[Post New]by loonylimey on Feb 4, 10 9:07 AM

Every body has their own standards. I have discovered that it is necessary ro play a demo on everything. For me it's a different issue. i have likes and dislikes and enjoy some game styles more than others. I couldn't care less what other adults are playing, it's none of my business. We canno and in my opinion should nott expect to set a standard for other players.

Chris

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 5, 10 4:45 AM
ducle wrote:

Yes. Have you read the title of this thread?

Lemme help with a recap:
"Please, enough of these games of witchcraft "

Which means "No More." And the OP's standard of what's offensive includes just the presence of objects that are "dark sided" like potions or a scull. Then came the 'warning label' idea. It's ALL rather extreme; hence the response it has evoked from others.

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 4:50:23 AM PST

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 5, 10 4:46 AM
Double post!

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 4:49:22 AM PST

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 5, 10 5:24 AM
Kalavinka wrote:Theolone-- I would like to be able to wiggle my nose like Samantha!

Also-- I do realize that I might have been insensitive in at least one respect... While I do not think it should be equated with witchcraft (in terms of what is depicted in games, popular culture, etc.)-- there are a lot of people who practice Wicca-- which is a life/nature affirming faith tradition. I have no problems with anything Wicca-- particularly since I am a bit of a greenie.

As for the Tarot-- well, I am Roma and so have grown up liking it. I find it facinating and always like games that include it.....

-Kala

Well, there are many forms of witchcraft that are not fantasy types found in games, including Christian witchcraft. Many Wiccans also consider themselves witches practicing a form of witchcraft along with the religious aspect. I think what I said about insensitivity of 'warning labels' still stands. Imagine someone asking for a ban or warning label on game that includes crosses or roseries as if they are objects from a potentially dangerous cult. That's just as bad, but not worse.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 5, 10 5:31 AM
Kalavinka wrote:Not even dark stuff! Potions are part of life. Gee even aspirin is a potion. Toilet bowl cleaner is a potion..... As for skulls..... Well, having a skull-- that's just healthy.

I totally agree, but not in the opinion of the OP. It also makes any practicing herbalist a witch! It's all so medieval.

Go to: