morticia6
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,044 Posts

Re:Epic Adventures: La Jangada comments and reviews

[Post New]by morticia6 on Feb 5, 10 12:44 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:Hey Scarlett, how do you demo twice?? I would love to be able to do that on games I have tried, deleted and then down the line don't remember what they were like to play. Does anyone know how she did that???

just go to any other game site that's also offering a trial. i demoed this one somewhere else a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Feb 5, 10 1:43 PM
Luv the game. For those wondering the length, while it says 8 chapters, there really are 43 levels! I completed 17 of the 43 during the trial. I may have completed more if I didn't read the storyline. But, this story was so good that I had to read it as I went along.

The **** task change at different times. Sometimes you only have to find the objects, at other times, you have to find them a place them (interaction).

There are also mini-games which very as the game goes on.

Graphics, pretty good. Music and sound, I'm not one to ask since I rarerly listen. --LOL. You can read the storyline without the sound on and the story moves nicely without the sound.

This game gets my approval and my dollars!

[Post New]by mistergeorge on Feb 5, 10 2:06 PM
I would love to do more HOG's but alas I am a person with poor site. But I litterally needed to use my own magnifying glass to look at the screen to try to find a lot of tiny things. That is the 1st time I ever had to do that. Is simply too much trouble for me to enjoy this game.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Feb 5, 10 2:23 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this game - keep it coming! I've gone ahead and stickied this thread to make it easier to find.

Remember, if you're posting solutions or posting anything that might reveal part of the storyline for somebody who hasn't played yet, be sure to post a big ol' spoiler tag at the top as a warning.

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

star82601
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by star82601 on Feb 5, 10 3:04 PM
I for one loved this game and i'm not an expert on playing these game in 21/2 hours.it took me more like 6hours.the story was good and i love the scenry and the story.yes somethings where really hard to fine and you really had to look!! i also have to say some games that have been rated here as bad and people said they wouldn't waste there credit or money on then,i found they were real good games --so each their own.!!!

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Feb 5, 10 3:49 PM
I bought it after 31 minutes of the demo. It's not the best game ever, but most definitely not the worse either. There are some rather interesting mini games that take just common sense to play. Some scenes where there are hidden objects to find, are rather hard......the objects being rather small and well camouflaged, even with my trusty magnified glass......but, it is a hidden object game. I don't know the game length, because I don't time the games I play. The dialogue could be shorten a bit without taking away from the plot. But, I'm not sorry I bought it.
I'll give one hint......when placing the symbols on the books, look not only at the book title, but the authors name also.

[Post New]by nascar4_9kasey on Feb 5, 10 3:57 PM
Loved it! I thought it was a great game, and yes some items were a little hard to find because of size but overall I enjoyed the game. I will (definitatly )spelling?)be buying this one. and 5 .

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Feb 5, 10 4:08 PM
OK, I guess I must be way different than the rest of you because I really disliked this game.

I found it irritatingly slow with endless "Loading" scenes. I skipped all the talking, which is never a good sign for me. I found many of the objects incredibly small and even with the magnifier option on my mouse I still couldn't find a few of them. And my eyes are 20-20 so that shouldn't be a problem.

I did kind of like the scenes where you had to fix things (light candles, pack the suitcase, etc.) and found those more interesting than the straight hidden object scenes. And I didn't hate the mini-games that I played.

But the whole theme of this game just rubbed me the wrong way. I stopped after 30 mins because my DH asked me why I was making those irritated sighs.

Anyway, I'm glad so many of you liked it but it's definitely not for me.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 5, 10 4:26 PM
I agree that the graphics are nice and the story is interesting but... I find there to be a little too much talk and not enough play. I feel that if i skipped all of the dialogue i might finish the game in an hour or nearly so. It seems slow moving. This is a game I will consider at another time but do not think I will purchase it now.

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 6:15:55 PM PST

lalaby47
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by lalaby47 on Feb 5, 10 4:40 PM
Poof11 wrote:It looks as though I am in the minority here, I was bored to tears. Anyone with visual problems will have a problem finding some objects, since many are very small and very well hidden. I am also not too keen on game makers that insist on putting objects at the very edge where you can only see a little part of it. I had to do alot of guessing of objects due to their size. Sorry folks, I won't be buying. Off to find a game to get me through the incoming snow storm. Stay warm fishies and enjoy your weekend!

I agree with you. I have the feeling it took me ten boring hours of trial. So , you're not minority.
lala

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 4:56:07 PM PST

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Feb 5, 10 5:24 PM
SLOW!!! Not my cup of tea ...

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Feb 5, 10 6:23 PM
I'm apparently in the minority here, but I thought this was the strangest game I've ever played! It felt to me as if the creators couldn't decide quite what or where they wanted it to be. It was supposedly set in South America, but the actress's voice was decidedly British. On top of this, it felt to me as if the story were originally meant to be set in India, the Near East or Middle East maybe, but was later changed. It would have seemed more at home on the Nile, perhaps.

The narration was SLOW and aggravatingly monotonous--very little emotion, almost a dream-like objectivity, as if she were viewing it all from a great distance. The scene transitions were also a little slow and disruptive to the flow of the story. There were also some item descriptions which seemed to have been translated from another language, such as the use of scepter for what would ordinarily be called a cane or walking stick, and there was at least one typo.

I saw that some people thought the graphics were quite good and the items easy to find. I did think the general story graphics were good, but I was really frustrated with the hidden objects. Sometimes there were items that fit the description, but were not the items they had in mind. For example, there was a whole bush of roses in the foreground that were not considered to be roses, while some that were "correct" were very obscure; there was an entire plate in the wedding preparation scene which was not the one to be moved to the stack of other plates, while a small portion of another plate barely showing on the side of the screen was correct. Some other items were so small or so dark or indistinct that I could barely see them even when I had used a clue to find them, and many of the items were hidden on the very edges of the screen where they were almost not visible.

But the thing that stayed with me the whole time was that sense of it not really making up its mind about the setting, time and culture--almost a schizophrenic feeling. Am I the only one who felt that? Maybe I'm just having a really strange night! I do appreciate BFG giving us the space to discuss the games--it really helps if I'm undecided about spending one of my precious credits! And I love to read what everybody else has to say and to see how diverse the opinions are.

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 6:25:44 PM PST

Rhowennah
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Rhowennah on Feb 5, 10 8:47 PM
I agree with some of the others... I could not get past the slow part... I have read the book before and found it great reading, and had high hopes for this game as well.. but after all the "chatter" would get done, then we had to look for a few objects and then on to another scene... to look for more of the same objects... and so on... did not make it to the wedding... will not be buying this one...

MissB59
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by MissB59 on Feb 5, 10 10:10 PM
not sure about this being minority anymore .. but .. I didn't care for it either .. too much dialog but at least you could skip it ... having to look for things where you can barely see the corner is irritating .. and being told to look for a pot but they really mean a vase .. there were several other items along the same line.. and was it only my demo that when you picked up the apple and put it in the basket a banana appeared and when you put the banana in, an apple appeared ??

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Feb 5, 10 11:09 PM
I wasn't so sure about this game at first...thought it was going to be boring. But after playing it for about 20 minutes then I couldn't wait to keep going to see what was happening in the story. The only problem I have is that it seems some of the scenes are really hard to see. Did anyone else have that problem? I want to know what happens on the story but just not sure I will buy it....have a couple of others I want first.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Feb 5, 10 11:15 PM
Scarlett probably played the demo on another site. I have done that before and got pretty far in the game. Doesn't seem like you can do it as much anymore.But might give it a try.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 6, 10 1:07 AM
Hey Scarlett, how do you demo twice?? I would love to be able to do that on games I have tried, deleted and then down the line don't remember what they were like to play. Does anyone know how she did that???

It came out on ilose last month so I played it there 1st. If you get lucky sometimes it will let you pick up where you left off & not start over.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 6, 10 5:35 AM
I already gave my opinion of this game in another thread, but since someone mentioned 'scepter' I have to ask if anyone was distracted by the voice actress's pronunciation of that word? Maybe it's a British thing, but the "c" is silent where I'm from.

Edited on 02/06/2010 at 5:36:43 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Feb 6, 10 6:46 AM
scarlet_11dy6 wrote:..... Hint reloaded pretty fast & unlimited.....which is good when one is looking for shrooms & berries to treat snakebite in the middle of the night in the jungle. Whoever did that scene was a sadist who secretly despises HOGgers ROFL .....quote]

I completely agree! As you get toward the end of the game, there are more times you need to use the hint button, because the objects seem to get smaller and smaller. I think I used 4 or 5 hints for that mushrooms and berries scene, and that was after chancing upon a few of them through random clicking. Luckily, they are not too tough on random clicks - you have to do quite a few before the curser starts jiggling around to let you know you went too far, but then it jiggles for several seconds.

Overall, I enjoyed the game and the story line. No junk piles, and the items fit the scenes. It was a bit disconcerting to hear an English accent from a young lady who should have had a Spanish accent (it is South America, after all, and all the names and places were Spanish) but it wasn't annoying. The music was nice. The first thing I do whenever I load a new game is to go into Options and turn the music volume down to almost nothing, because even at the lowest volume setting on my computer the games play very loudly. This time I went back in and turned it up just a bit, because it fit the theme so well.

I'm glad I made the purchase, and it's nice to see a string of HOG this week instead of all the Time Management games.

Julie S.

[Post New]by maweems on Feb 6, 10 7:50 AM
Yes! I definitely had a problem with the fact that female narrator, who has a very plesant voice and is well spoken, seems to have a problem with pronounciation on SEVERAL levels. Valdez for one. Even with Standard British speech does not come out the way she says it. Scepter is scepter and never whatever came out of her mouth. Also the names of hidden objects are somewhat protracted, like they were taken from a bad translation. TINY objects many times and often hidden so that they are buried beyond detection and recognition.

The repetitive nature of the atmosphere sound loop almost drove me crazy with the tolling of the church bells (bong, bong, bong) playing over, and over, and over again.

Very wordy, poetry, notes, and messages not well written and again seem to be tragically translated in many instances.

NOT buying this one.

Go to: