1 Penguin 100 Cases

Re:1 Penguin 100 Cases

[Post New]by WanderingPenguin on Feb 6, 10 10:29 AM
Ok, I have read all the positive reviews on here and I cannot believe I am the only one who was disturbed by the unbelievable racism of the teacher, "Mao". I was very disappointed, too, because even though there were obvious difficulties with the English language for the creators, for once they really didn't get in the way of fun for me... until Mao. If they had just not had him speak with such an outrageous Charlie Chan circa 1940 accent it might have been ok, but as it turned out it's far too offensive for me to spend any money encouraging this kind of behaviour.

I would have loved to have played this to the end, because the graphics were fun and interesting and the moving around of objects was really quite different. The voices were annoying, but certainly easy to ignore except for the one character (so far) noted above.

One more small note, but a big one for me (a "penguinophile"): it would be VERY difficult for polar bears to be "enemies" of the penguin since they don't come within 10,000 miles of each other in nature. A common mistake but a really annoying one nonetheless.

If the developers are reading this, let me say they are on the right track for sure but please, no more stereotypes in future efforts.

A definite no-buy for me, very VERY sad to say.

Oh, one final note which I think should be obvious but just in case: please do NOT let children play this game unless you turn the voices off.

Edited on 02/06/2010 at 10:30:38 AM PST

[Post New]by Mrs_Good on Feb 6, 10 10:59 AM
Hi! My name is Youme. I disagree with the post above. My origins are in Korea And I find the Mao's accent very cute and funny by the way. I live in USA and have two kids Bryce and Julia. They are so in love with tis game. So happy to finally see a good one for kids! I will buy one for them for sure. Thank you Big Fish Games!

[Post New]by JenAir1 on Feb 6, 10 11:52 AM
I absolutely loved this game. It was a little bit on the childish side but I really enjoyed playing it. It was sometimes hard in places, not to hard that it took alot of time but just enough to get you to think. Graphics were awesome. The humor was excellent. Characters were funny. All around I would give this game an excellent rating.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Feb 6, 10 1:12 PM
i think i'll use my credit for this game, it's so cute and i'm having so much fun with this game

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Feb 6, 10 3:03 PM
I love this game and the voices I found Mao a real character and it is great that they use differant voices I cannot see anything in this game that could offend anyone even the cockroche was cute (Ihate them) I wish the mice were cuter(I hate them) The only small problem I have found is in the cellar trying to put the fruit on the web it acceps some but not others especially the melon I skim over and see the comment but the number does not show and the fruit goes back to where I found it. But yes I would give this 9/10 well done developers a all round family fun game with enough help and skips.

You Rock

lineck

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Feb 6, 10 3:06 PM
I didn't find this game any more offensive than all of the ones that show women as weak and silly who need men to rescue them. Or any of the ones that stereotype people of all kinds of other cultures.

That said, I did find some of the objects incredibly small and it took a while to get used to the graphic style. Once I did, it was easier to find things.

It reminded me a little bit of Avenue Flo. That same sort of cartoony game with objects that are hard to see until you get used to the style.

Honestly I thought I'd play a few minutes and dump it but when I looked at the clock I realized I had played over 50 mins. Time flew by! So it's going on my list for sure!

ladycholla
Manatee
Manatee
3,720 Posts

[Post New]by ladycholla on Feb 6, 10 4:24 PM
I'm with Wandering Penguin on this one. The teacher Mao was too much for me on a couple of levels. Political (in todays arena) and the accent, Charlie Chan style. My reasons may differ from others, but this was a disappointment for me. Wanted it to be good. When I saw Mao and clean your mind, I was done.

Ladycholla

Edited on 02/06/2010 at 4:29:58 PM PST

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Feb 8, 10 3:25 PM
I thought Mao was a jerk...wouldn't want my kids in his class...
Game is so-so...I may get it as DD to fill up a punchcard, but not a full credit.
I did like the different mini games etc. Good try developers, please don't give up!

Re:1 Penguin 100 Cases - can't finish building the ladder

[Post New]by khasnon on Feb 8, 10 9:16 PM
I love this game but I'm stuck on building the ladder after placing the spider webs in the correct places. Ladder appears to be complete. Used the hint several times but no help. Hope someone has the answer so I can keep playing. Thanks

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Feb 10, 10 7:16 PM
I'm still playing this game, so I can't give a complete review. I think the cartoon graphics are very cute, and after playing Sweeny Todd, I was looking for a light-hearted game. One annoyance for me are the obvious problems that the programmers had with English. Mao's accent is bad, but Pengoo's broken English isn't much better. Skeleton's are "sceletons", and crowbars are "nail drawers". (What?!) Also, ahem, why does the female penguin have breasts? Isn't it enough that she's pink? She doesn't have to have human-looking breasts, too.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Feb 11, 10 8:43 AM
WanderingPenguin wrote:Ok, I have read all the positive reviews on here and I cannot believe I am the only one who was disturbed by the unbelievable racism of the teacher, "Mao". I was very disappointed, too, because even though there were obvious difficulties with the English language for the creators, for once they really didn't get in the way of fun for me... until Mao. If they had just not had him speak with such an outrageous Charlie Chan circa 1940 accent it might have been ok, but as it turned out it's far too offensive for me to spend any money encouraging this kind of behaviour.

I don't agree with this at all. Are all voices supposed to be plain? This game was meant to be "fun" including varying voices. I saw no stereotyping in this...just a purposefully outrageous voice for a teacher. With all due respect, let's pick our battles here and focus where racism is actually present and relevant. Would you have felt the same way if it were a ridiculous British accent? Or poorly acted French? In fact, some of the voices used silly English with words like "da" for "the." Aside from the voice, which in your opinion was racist, did you see any other "racist" themes within the game? According to your statement, no. And from what I've seen, no. Which translates into developers that were not attempting to stereotype anyone much less incorporate racism into their game development. It's a fun game, and part of that fun comes from differences in voice acting. It was that and nothing more. I urge you to view your initial perception in a different light.

Edited on 02/11/2010 at 8:52:14 AM PST

Mertie1
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Mertie1 on Feb 15, 10 1:32 PM
I usually lean toward to darker games...but this one was pretty fun. I actually had a hard time during the demo finding things. Not used to the cartoon graphics...but nonetheless...very enjoyable hour. Not sure if I'll buy...maybe. But it was quite fun.

I didn't really notice accents..as I pretty much keep the sound low.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Feb 15, 10 7:24 PM
I finished the game, so now I can give a complete review. It was cute and whimsical, but by the end it just felt a little too long. A lot of people complain about short games, but I say it's always good leaving people wanting more. *spoiler* In the end, Pengoo is finally reunited with his love, who still has human-looking breasts. It's weird. And kind of gross. She isn't pink anymore, though.

I can't really recommend this one. The English translations are ridiculous. Near the end, you're warned to watch out for kites. What they really mean are vultures. This is the worst English I've seen in any game I've played, and it's a problem all the way through. Also, there is WAY too much dialog. You get to experience a conversation every time there is a new task or a new area to explore. I never skip dialog, but by the end I was clicking my way through it, wishing the characters would just shut up for once and let me finish the game.

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by auntann11 on Feb 19, 10 12:43 PM
Just finished the demo and this game cracked me up. Instead of growling when I had trouble finding something I laughed and cracked a few more eggs.

The voices and story didn't bother me in the least as I don't read stories or listen to the audios. The scenes were not junkpiled so it was even funnier that I could not find some things right away. Anyway - anything that makes me laugh is a good thing.

GEmory
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by GEmory on Feb 20, 10 9:27 PM
I loved this game! It is a good game for kids, but adults can enjoy it too if they're looking for something light. I frequently skip the story in HOG games, but I didn't in this one. It was cute and made me laugh in spots. It's also nice if you want to relax without stressing about time limits.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Nov 10, 10 8:40 AM
dlb628 wrote:The English translations are ridiculous. Near the end, you're warned to watch out for kites. What they really mean are vultures. This is the worst English I've seen in any game I've played, and it's a problem all the way through.
Kites are a kind of bird. I'm nowhere near the end, yet, so I'm curious if the word might be correct after all?

Diblover2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Diblover2 on Dec 30, 10 1:53 PM
I love this game! Me and my 2 yr old niece cuddle up on the floor with the laptop and play it hour after countless hour! Of course we have our penguin buddies and a bunny: Suri ( penguin ) Pengi ( penguin ) Huggles ( penguin ) and Primatusa ( bunny )

Marcie2304
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Marcie2304 on Feb 17, 11 10:11 AM
I loved this game and kites are a type of bird (see below from wikipedia)

Kites are raptors with long wings and weak legs which spend a great deal of time soaring. Most feed mostly on carrion but some take various amounts of live prey.

They are birds of prey which, along with hawks and eagles, are from the family Accipitridae

merivilan
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by merivilan on Feb 21, 11 3:23 AM
I loved the game but wished I had a grandchild to play it with. I just have to accept I am in a second childhood.
It is a game that encourages you to click.

Go to: