thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

Re:People that have NOTHING on their Wish List :O

[Post New]by thurber on Jun 28, 16 4:40 PM
This topic pops up periodically and it's always fun to read the different approaches to gifting.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the swirly gifts or gifts for current offers. I've wound up with 25 of one swirl - more than anyone needs. If charges for current offers aren't dropping quickly, I'll put them on my wish list, otherwise I don't want them.

The wish list is there for a reason and it's not up to me to decide what another neighbor needs if they have items on their wish list I can send. To me, fulfilling their needs is being a good neighbor. I never mass gift. Gifting is easy and doesn't take that long.

I don't understand why folks leave their wish lists blank or seldom update them. As one person said they don't assemble artifacts, I guess that's a really good reason. Having choices is one of the beauties of ROM!

Like some others, I keep my neighborhood about 100-110. That way, since there are always sleepers, I can be sure I'll be able to gift everyone each day and can double gift when I can send a wanted backpack item. Nobody gets short-changed. At 150-200 neighbors, visiting would take forever, and I couldn't possibly gift everyone.

I send flints, ores, or buttons (when available) for neighbors with empty lists. Yep, that was sort of the decided norm for an empty wish list a long time ago and even if no longer valid, those items can always be used.

I keep 4 of each backpack item and gift the rest when asked. Why? Because you never know... and I like to keep a few on hand.

If a neighbor either never gifts or always ignores my wish list, I delete them. I ask neighbors who send refreshing dew not to as I have over 19K and get more every day. For me, they're pretty useless.

I do wish that buttons were available all the time and that the devs would make the hearts (for $100) available all the time too. The hearts were a nice way to say 'hello' or 'thank you.'

For me, attention to my neighbors is paramount, and being a good neighbor is a major part of the game. That means paying attention to wish lists and gifting every day, and of course, helping with expeditions. It's great that others have their own way of gifting. As marliza said, there's something for everyone here.

Happy gaming!

mommerj
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by mommerj on Jun 28, 16 7:49 PM
I'm sure there as many reasons as there are people playing this game, as to why a WL is left empty. I am a player that has been playing this game for over three years (I kind of lost track how long it's been ). At this point, I don't much need anything. I have many, many charges, and can usually buy them when I need them. I play this game for my entertainment. If a neighbor wants to send me a gift, any gift, I'm ok with that. If they don't, that's ok too, no hard feelings.

Don't stress out. You are right, you can't read people's mind, and don't try too. Gift how you see fit, play your game the you want and enjoy!

saraherc5
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by saraherc5 on Jun 29, 16 2:02 PM
thurber wrote:This topic pops up periodically and it's always fun to read the different approaches to gifting.

****The wish list is there for a reason and it's not up to me to decide what another neighbor needs if they have items on their wish list I can send. To me, fulfilling their needs is being a good neighbor. I never mass gift. Gifting is easy and doesn't take that long.****

I don't understand why folks leave their wish lists blank or seldom update them. As one person said they don't assemble artifacts, I guess that's a really good reason. Having choices is one of the beauties of ROM! **

**If a neighbor either never gifts or always ignores my wish list, I delete them. I ask neighbors who send refreshing dew not to as I have over 19K and get more every day. For me, they're pretty useless**.

For me, attention to my neighbors is paramount, and being a good neighbor is a major part of the game. That means paying attention to wish lists and gifting every day, and of course, helping with expeditions. It's great that others have their own way of gifting. As marliza said, there's something for everyone here.

Happy gaming!

I Think You hit the nail on the Head! Thurber.. I agree 150% Thanks!

Edited on 06/29/2016 at 2:07:19 PM PST

Cyberfox277
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Cyberfox277 on Jun 30, 16 8:44 AM
Well, I can only speak for myself, of course I have no idea what the other players are thinking

But I keep an empty WL for 2 reason...

1st I don't really need anything so I'll let my nbrs decide what they need and I'll send it back, I think my nbrs figured it out by now LOL

2nd which might relate to 1st, I'm not really sure I don't really have time to check everybody's WL everyday, some people play this game after work, you know?

[Post New]by Alice_Pereira on Jul 2, 16 12:02 PM
Thanks to al of those that answer my invitation or invited me. I have more active neighbors that ever. Still some Sleeping Beauties. All my vacancies have been filled.

THANK YOU

Boute135
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Boute135 on Jul 2, 16 12:11 PM
My wish list has often been empty over the last few months. Mostly because I have 100's of charges, and 20-30 of 4 items necessary to assemble lots of artifacts, but lack one item that rarely drops. I won't put that item on my WL because I figure (a) I should work for it, and, (b) it's probably just as scarce for everyone else, judging by the number of times I see it on neighbour WLs.

I WISH one could exchange, for example, 100 of the 400+ Bonds of Affection, Musketeer's Hat, and Air Kiss that I have for ONE Passion Letter or Astral Ball of which I have none. Then I could use some of the 200+ charges I have for that artifact!

The charges I desperately need - Quartz and Sulphur Crystals, e.g., as well as some others - aren't giftable.

So, therefore, when there is nothing on my list, feel free to ignore me or send me whatever you like....I have had some interesting pretty things gifted!

To my neighbours with empty WLs, I'll send atoms, rocks or magnets most of the time.

Edited on 07/02/2016 at 12:14:24 PM PST

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Jul 3, 16 10:34 AM
I try to keep my wish list full, but I also agree that if it is empty that means I don't want anything at the moment. Several months ago I had a family emergency that prevented me from playing for a month or so; I didn't fall asleep, but I found it a problem to find time to collect all the gifts. If players are sleeping, I can't imagine they really want all those gifts when they're not playing at all. From the comments I've read here, it seems to me that the consensus is falling down on the side of "Empty WL = no gifts needed". If any of my neighbors feel this way, let me know and I'll lay off the gifts while your WL is empty !

And I definitely agree with Boute135 that it would be really nice to be able to exchange abundant artifacts for rare ones!

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 3:32:46 PM PST

lovesnf
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by lovesnf on Jul 3, 16 11:11 AM
msmithnc wrote:. If players are sleeping, I can't imagine they really want all those gifts when they're not playing at all. From the comments I've read here, it seems to me that the consensus is falling down on the side of "Empty WL = no gifts needed".

I rarely have sleepers but I try not to gift them if I do. I think it's a nice consideration not to burden them with, potentially, 100s or 1000s of gifts to accept.

Although more experienced players with empty wish lists probably don't want the charges, I think that less experienced players probably do. I am very bad at remembering to fill up my wish list but, at level 98, I still need whatever my neighbors might want to send.

I gift everyone from their wish lists and then do a mass gift of a useful charge to everyone else (except sleepers). It only takes a few seconds and, by gifting daily it let's my neighbors know that I am still active.

Go to: