Re:Geisha: The Secret Garden - Reviews

[Post New]by mistergeorge on Feb 10, 10 6:30 PM
I was bored with the old match 3 games but really liked this new style to me of sliding the squares. I was also concerned with how small the plants and trees were and took awhile to figure out how to get the whole building or plant. They are upgrades to buy. This one will be in my list of ones to buy with my next game credit. And how cool of the developer to hop in the pond with us!

gaykl
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by gaykl on Feb 10, 10 8:40 PM
LizzieK wrote:I found this game a little too complicated for a Match-3. I wasn't relaxed playing it, even though I was in the relaxed mode. There seemed to be too much going on and too many different kinds of tasks in a short period of time. I also found the mahjong tiles too difficult to see clearly. It was visually confusing for me.

I like challenging Match-3 games. The Ancient Quest of Saqqarah and Caribbean Hideaway are two of my favorite Match-3 games and they are both very challenging but in a different way.

I'm glad we have different choices and the developers make a good variety of games. This will be the right choice for some but not for me.

I agree, even in the relaxed mode I was stressing out.

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Feb 10, 10 9:04 PM
I love match-3 and I love MahJong

This game is very different from most - have played over 2 hours without getting bored. Very unusual for me because I have a hard time sitting still.

Nice game and very relaxing!

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Feb 11, 10 2:31 PM
I am trying the demo at work, and although I like the game, I don't like the curser - it seems a bit slow, and sometimes has a mind of its own. I'll finish the demo, then decide if the game is worth putting up with the curser.

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on Feb 11, 10 4:12 PM
donnasm, please try the game on your personal computer and let me know. The cursor works very well, it must be a video card driver issue. I'm very sorry of that.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Feb 12, 10 1:52 PM
I hadn't intended even to look at this game, but I do like reading the posts on new games, and when I learned that the designer had combined the two themes I was intrigued. I thought it was nice too that the designer was concerned enough about his "baby" to join us in the pond to get our feedback. So I downloaded the trial, and, yes, I bought the game. It's lovely, and it isn't all that simple, as you progress...at least not to us semi-challenged Match-3 players. The graphics are simple but attractive, the music is not intrusive or unpleasant, the game-play is clever and does require thought. I'd like very much to see you expand on what you've done with this game, dmekersa, and thank you for introducing yourself to us.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Feb 12, 10 3:45 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks to auntann11 for getting this thread started! I've gone ahead and stickied this thread to make it easy to find.

Remember, if you're posting solutions or posting anything that might reveal part of the storyline for somebody who hasn't played yet, be sure to post a big ol' spoiler tag at the top as a warning.

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 13, 10 9:28 AM
Interesting mix of match-3 & mahjong. Took a while to get the hang of it & I'm guessing this takes hrs & hrs as I hadn't finished the 1st season yet. Takes quite a while to make gardening money. I just wish the graphix for the garden had been as good as the rest of the game! Those were some pretty sad bushes etc.

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on Feb 14, 10 10:19 AM
Genet1770, thank you so much for your support.
I'm quite busy with my kids today, but tomorrow I'll be back to let you know the story of "Geisha The Secret Garden"!

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on Feb 15, 10 3:14 AM
Hi everyone, players (or willing to) of Geisha The Secret Garden.
I'm the french designer and lead programmer of the game.
I would like to tell you the story of this game.

At first, it was a personnal project, the aim was to offer it to my kids... and the game was about the Wolf and the 3 little pigs! The game was to construct a house for the pigs, by moving pieces falling from the top of the screen... then I added the wolf, etc. and decided that the game was not funny at all... but the engine was quite powerful, and it was sad to let it sleep on my computer.
So I decided, with some advices of friends, to make it a real game!
I studied some game mechanics, and decided to be inspired by my favorite one : Tetris Attack (Puzzle de Pon), from Super Nintendo.
But... this was still not the game you play, it was a Scifi game, with planets, etc.
It was fun, but the Casual Games market is not sweet with SciFi games, it's too much for guys...
So, I decided to cancel the project. Too much work, too much efforts, too little progress... I continued it but with no heart to.
One day, my wife left the house for a week end, with the kids, to visit her family. This day, I was surfing on the net, and was looking at Mahjong games... And this is this day I decided to change everything! I decide to make a surprise to my wife.
There was no game mixing a match-3 mechanic with mahjong (not only the tiles, but the spirit too!). In 2 days, I chanded everything in the game, replacing planets with tiles, etc., and asking my musician to forgot the outerspace for japanese musics (he was very happy, as his girlfriend is japanese!).
When my wife was back, she was so happy, the game was crappy but already amazing! Mixing it with mahjong changed everything!
We decided to work together and bring the game to the market. So my wife become my producer assistant, and she was responsible of everything regarding the garden part, and for validating all the graphics assets. We found an artist, naturalist, to draw all the plants, backgrounds, etc. he did an amazing work! and 2 others artists for the colors and the other screens. Andrei (the musician) created a lot of amazing musics and I coded over and over to give the game a good pace, and make it a mix of relaxing and challenge. Myself was unable to stop playing when I was testing the game, so it was a good sign I think :-).
Not kiding, I think a played the game around 5000 times during the whole development process .
to be continued...

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on Feb 15, 10 3:19 AM
At the very end, I decided to add a Relax Mode, for the Mahjong players, and for those not happy with the challenge.

The game name was "The Mahjong Garden" but we changed it the last day, because it was already used by another mahjong solitaire game

This is the story ! Today the game will be published in 7 languages and we are so happy. This is a kind of "family game", and I hope you can feel our heart by playing it, even if it's not a perfect game. We spend 1 year on it, and we still playing it every day!

As the game is not very visible (but as you like it!) please support it by talking to your friends, family, by promoting it, if you can, and you'll be part of his success!

Have a nice play with Geisha...

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Feb 16, 10 11:41 PM
Thank you, dmekersa, for sharing that with us. It's as though the spirit of the game came and dwelt with you. I definitely have been telling friends and family about it, and I would imagine others here are doing that too. I like very much the choice of challenge or relax, and I think it might be possible, too, for those who were saying that the Mahjong tiles were difficult for them, to become more familiar with the distinguishing characteristics of those tiles in this type of setting. Have you any plans for the game right now, or are you waiting to see where inspiration leads? In either case, I think all of us here are really glad to get to know you, and that the game reached us. I have to compliment you, too, on how nicely the game runs, I've had no problems whatsoever on my xp.

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on Feb 17, 10 1:25 AM
Genet, thank you for your reply.
I plan to work on Geisha 2, but not right now as I'm producing an adventure game (called "Enigma Project"), but if the sales of Geisha 1 are sufficient, it will be possible to produce the sequel! In this sequel, I planned to add a level editor, allowing the player to create their own levels, and an enhanced garden with many items, that you can flip horizontaly, and change the color. And more...
Any suggestions?

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Feb 18, 10 9:08 PM

Well, dmekersa, I can tell you I'm already looking forward to it, lol. I've noticed I spend more and more time playing Geisha...your comment about its being a powerful engine got me to thinking, and as I'm progressing I'm seeing more and more evidence of that. It's a lovely game. I know I said that before, but it bears repeating. I find too that although I've never been very good at this kind of game, though I do love these and play them all the time, with Geisha I'm able to develop my strategies better. I notice too that the artist you found shows a fine sensitivity to things Oriental. I'll keep you posted if I do think of suggestions; please check your pm's too, I'm sending one with that in mind.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Feb 27, 10 12:44 PM
I'm SO disappointed. I'm a real "Japanophile" and had high hopes for this game. First off, it's not a true Match 3 game. I suppose there are lots of folks who will enjoy the game play in this one, but it's certainly not my cup of tea. Music? Not worth listening to. Silly stuff like having to repeatedly click on water tiles to clear them... Sigh. From me it gets a big

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Mar 11, 10 1:34 PM
I'm so glad there is a "relaxed" mode! I didn't use it until I got into the late levels, and then it was a lifesaver! I enjoyed this game very much and will play it through again soon. It's very engaging, and if you're not careful, hours can go by in the blink of an eye.

The garden part was lovely and I enjoyed that immensely; one thing I wish was a feature: the ability to delete something you've purchased. I bought a couple things I really didn't like the look of afterwards and ended up having to "hide" them behind trees so they weren't visible. Another nice feature would be the ability to align the elements in various directions. I found I would have liked another pretty little bridge for the left side of my stream, but the bridge only faces one way.

All in all, well worth a credit!

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Mar 19, 10 4:53 PM
Generally match 3 games are all pretty much alike, but when I come across a unique Match3, count me in! I love this game! It is very interesting and can be quite challenging. The graphics are beautiful and it's fun designing gardens. I'm with David, winter is also my favorite. Definitely on my buy list!

[Post New]by indianabeth on Apr 29, 10 9:11 AM
I thought this game was really easy on the lower levels. But I'm stuck at Winter 44.

How do you get through this one without switching to the relaxed mode?

So far I haven't been able to get to more than about 120 of the 300 bamboo needed. There are so few bamboo tiles and I keep running out of time. (And yes, I do have the time dragon!)

Thanks!

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on May 7, 10 8:13 AM
@indianabeth
Restart the game until the bamboo tiles (shown at the bottom of the map screen) are with high values. This is randomly choosen by the game engine, so if you start the level with low values tiles, it doesn't help

[Post New]by Cupcake57 on Jul 10, 10 3:30 PM
dmekersa wrote:Hi,
I'm the designer and developer of the game.
Thanks all for this sweet and detailled feedbacks!
Regarding the short objectives: it depends of the tiles you got for the level. As the tiles are choosen randomly, if you got "hi values" like 8 or 9 symbols on the tiles, the objective is reached quickly, but it can be longer for other players
Regarding relax mode, I would like to give you a hint: play in timed mode for the challenge, and switch to relax for the more difficult levels (just click on the label under the "play" button on the map).
Regarding the number of levels, there is 80 levels, 20 per seasons + 1 bonus level every 5 levels. So 96 levels total, it's a good challenge. I have to say that Winter levels are my favorites, with the snow and the ice (ice is a nice challenge!).
Have a nice play. Remind to take pictures of your gardens and share with us!
David

Go to: