jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Forgotten Places: Regained Castle here.

[Post New]by jan1949 on Jul 5, 16 7:40 PM
The mechanics of this game just don't feel right to me. While randomly clicking on objects trying to figure out what to do, I got some action where neither the hand nor the magnifier appeared. This game is constructed differently than what we are used to, as in having to go to the upper right corner to change locations and scenes. Maybe that is a good thing to make our brains work better. Change is good? I did not like the way we had to retrieve items from the inventory -- hang on to them or they drop back. The colors are really good, the graphics fine, and the HO's scenes were clear enough to find the listed items. It felt like a simple game; another good one for beginners, maybe. I played all the way through the demo and did not have any mini-games/puzzles to play. That was a disappointment.
One funny thing to me was the opening statement 'today is my birthday' -- today really is my birthday, but I am a lot older than 21!
I did not have any technical issues on my PC, Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Jul 5, 16 8:22 PM
Happy Birthday Jan1949 - hope you have a great day with plenty of prezzies. So you are 22 then!

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Jul 5, 16 9:13 PM
I love this game. Graphics are terrific,good story line and never got bored. Had a fun day with it! Will have to finish it tomorrow and looking forward to finishing it. Would like more from this developer, thanks.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Jul 7, 16 1:40 AM
I too agree with M LADY, a brilliantly written review. The game is quite long for a SE.
I have just finished and really enjoyed it. You can replay the HOs in the extras which I also like.

Ooh bot today's game. What a TREAT.

Linda

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jul 23, 16 12:02 PM
Based on completed game

There are a nice selection of good reviews, but I just loved this one and so felt the need to add mine to the pile.

I thought the story was compelling and had some unexpected twists and turns that made it quite enjoyable and kept my interest. There is an excellent journal that not only picks up the scattered notes that you will find throughout the game (try to pick up every piece of paper you find), but holds the notes needed for puzzles. I am almost glad for the lack of voice overs as I had Jane's voice perfectly in my head of the proper English young lady as she made her observations and conducted her investigations - reminded me somewhat of a Gail Carriger novel (Parasol Protectorate) which I find very fun.

This game world is absolutely huge! It is easy to get lost and if you decide to walk the game, will be a test of your memory to traverse this large estate. At the same time, there is a very good map to assist when you need it. Areas open up in scenes you have already visited. Your actions (especially in the beginning) will trigger HOPs and new hot spot areas. I just loved it.

Yes, the controls are a little awkward at first. But I believe the game is well worth spending the time to used to it. And you will if you keep playing.

Dizziness alert: It takes a lot for effects to affect me. But in this one, there are two mazes. They have a small map in the bottom corner while the main screen is a hedge row maze. As you move, the maze (your screen) shifts hard as you move. The second time I did this, I actually felt it a bit and thought that people that are affected by big screen motions might have a hard time with this. I recommend focusing on the little map on the left and try to ignore the big maze movement if it starts to bother you.

Collectibles and replayable HOP scenes as bonus features. This could have been a very nice CE if it had a bonus chapter. But as it is, this SE is very long.

The challenge level was good. Not insanely hard but definitely not a cakewalk. There are variations of more standard puzzles that made them unique. For example, they did a slider puzzle like I have never seen before - loved it!

I cannot recommend this game enough. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and I would love to see Jane on another adventure.

Edited on 07/23/2016 at 12:08:39 PM PST

SandraSwede
Shark
Shark
14,103 Posts

[Post New]by SandraSwede on Jul 27, 16 4:28 AM
I was planning to dump this game after ten minutes of playing but decided to keep at it another ten minutes and by then I was hooked.

Yes, the interface is clunky to say the least by today's standards, but the rest of the game makes up for this. Good music, no "messy" or "overdone" scenes like most games today (where I give up playing because there's just too much nonsense).

I like a clean game with just a few things to do in each scene and this game provides that.

Good map and hint system and there is a collectable which I like (thank you devs for not making it into a horrible morphing thing).

A simple, realaxing game well worth a punch card code if you give it a chance.

Edited on 07/27/2016 at 4:29:36 AM PST

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Jul 29, 16 2:28 PM
was not impressed at first but the more I played the better it got. almost didn't buy it but glad I did. used a coupon on it anyhow.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Nov 29, 16 6:43 AM
I have punch card coupons that will expire soon and nothing in SE games that appeal. I read all the poor reviews but decided to try this game anyway since I need to use this coupon. Yes the game is old style and definitely sluggish. But I found it somewhat quaint. A few plusses are that it does have a map with jump ability and it does show where a task is needed, and it has collectible butterflies. I have touch screen function and I use it often to hit the "go back" button etc. That function speeds up the sluggishness. So for free it is a nice little diversion.

Go to: