Tournament scores

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

Re:Tournament scores

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 10, 16 12:19 AM
Using hints reduces your score on PC, but I don't know about the other platforms. Sometimes, I find four tokens in one scene, but only get credit for three. I think three is the max you could get credit for in any given scene.

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 10, 16 10:55 AM
NoFishToday: are you sure about the hints reducing your score on PC? How much? I'd not noticed that...will pay very close attention next time, since I use them almost every time they refill (and occasionally w/the 1diamond recharge).

Wands murder your score because you don't get any of the cumulative-item boost. It's like you clicked on one item, waited for the upper-left timer thing to drop back down to 1x only, then clicked the next item. 6 times. Just, without the time passing. MUCH lower than the scores you would have gotten for the same 6 items clicked in a row. To get that bonus x11 item or x12 item in a scene I usually find tricky,

I've even hit the crystal ball a before coming to the last few, trying to clue myself in. Had never noticed the score fall there either.. again, will watch closely next time!
Even if it does ding you a little (?), that bonus x12 from getting the last item quickly, especially if you can do it before the sequential-timer(?) in the upper left times out, likely make up for the penalty (if there is one).

Re: 4 tokens... I've thought that too, though recently I noticed some tokens are under actual objects, and I've gone for the token and it turned out I'd hit the object instead. So had to hit the token again later. So--especially if I hadn't noticed the object went instead--coming back to that 1st token feels like I've clicked on tokens 4 times, even though it was in fact 3. Could be wrong! In any case, yeah, no more than 3 count if they're there.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 10, 16 12:32 PM
I have to agree with bzo about using hints & crystal balls. If I truly cannot find that last item, which I usually can't, my score is better if I just give up & use the hint right away instead of wasting another minute searching for something I'm never going to see. Much better. And if there are 2 or 3 I can't find, I'm better off using the crystal ball.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 10, 16 12:52 PM
Desertdruid wrote:I have to agree with bzo about using hints & crystal balls. If I truly cannot find that last item, which I usually can't, my score is better if I just give up & use the hint right away instead of wasting another minute searching for something I'm never going to see. Much better. And if there are 2 or 3 I can't find, I'm better off using the crystal ball.

I absolutely agree with this. I do it too when I have to. But, if you look at your "accuracy", it will be 100% if you do not break the chain or use any hints. Hints will lower it. So, let's say my normal HOS score had I been able to find the item...is 16,500, but I used a crystal ball. It will be more like 13,800. Believe me, I've paid close attention to get that cat so I make the decision...hint or no? And I agree, hesitation only makes things worse. I got the cat...after 4 grueling months. So, I say everyone should do what's best for them. I do win more when my base score is 80-85k (as opposed to 73k). And of course the tokens can't be controlled, or the spins. When I first started the tournaments, I went through hints and crystal balls like crazy. But, I practiced and practiced to get that base score up without hint help, playing any and all tournaments I possibly could.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 10, 16 2:21 PM
Are you saying the ONLY place a hint impacts your score is in the accuracy bonus?
I'm on iOS - there is no accuracy bonus.
If that's the case, I'm going to not hesitate to use hints for things I can't find! There's no reason not to!

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 12, 16 3:19 AM
I paid a bit more attention this time when I played the tournament, and used both a hint and a crystal ball so I could check the stats. I misspoke. Neither lowered my accuracy, my accuracy was 100%. But, my base score was lower. Perhaps it's because it takes extra seconds to use those items?

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 12, 16 4:39 AM
I just tried the same thing too, being SUPER careful where I clicked.. same result 100% accuracy. BUT, yeah, all my hints/cballs/tools at the bottom are sorta "sticky" - there's a li'l little delay between when I cursor over them (PC) and when they register I'm there, then an extra delay before I can click on them. Only a fraction of a second delay! But it was enough to break the "consecutive items" streak, so for the Crystal Ball I only got the 9 items in a row, then the item-timer reset while I was trying to tap the CBall (even tho I had known where the 10th item was, just couldn't get there fast enough). Not a super score, tho not awful.
Bottom line: Well worth using the CBall tho if you're way lost, or using the Hint ASAP for a last item!
Note: I *have* gotten >15,000 base score for a room using a Hint --> so you can still be well on track to a great tournament score if the spinny gods are smiling BZO
ETA: If you use a hint, then see the next room's a tricky one, maybe try hint-recharging early, as the item-counter starts slow & you'll have time between, say, item #1&2 or 2&3 w/o it resetting.. but NOT much after.

Edited on 07/12/2016 at 4:45:44 AM PST

Buffysue
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Buffysue on Jul 12, 16 1:33 PM
I really like all of your hints and comments...I have been super careful where I click and today got a score of 102,505!!!! Not enough to win a prize but I am super happy!

AussieSweet
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by AussieSweet on Jul 12, 16 7:02 PM
I am playing on iPad and I tried several different techniques while playing the tournament.
First, if you use wands before you found several items in succession, your score will be much lower. But if you use a wand to find the last item, it doesn't matter. I'm doing that now when I'm tired.
Second, the best technique for me is to click rapidly and methodically at all screen parts. So, I usually scan the screen for the chips and then start clicking like mad It helps to finish the scene in ~15-17 seconds and usually gives me a score around 14k.
However, I have pretty good memory and usually remember the scenes I already played, so I know where to click (approximately). It saves time immensely.
But even with a good base score I cannot make it in the top 100 without the good spins. And it seems that luck turned away from me I only need one more time to get the kitty! Btw, what type of food it eats and how much?

c0c0_nuts
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by c0c0_nuts on Jul 12, 16 7:09 PM
AussieSweet wrote:
But even with a good base score I cannot make it in the top 100 without the good spins. And it seems that luck turned away from me I only need one more time to get the kitty! Btw, what type of food it eats and how much?

20 unique food

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 12, 16 7:35 PM
..and the ONE time I splurged feeding Champ kitty allllll that premium food, she rewarded me with an extremely meh chest with a couple lousy stamps and like 1 or 2 coin stacks and something else lackluster.
So, my sample size is ONE, but due to the kitty's expensive tastes, I'll pet her, sure, but she'll have to live on rainbows and sunshine and birdsong and any leftovers she can scrounge up for herself... it won't be her prima donna cuisine again, not from me!

Sure, counts towards Avatar achievement (for what that's worth.. not much to me at this point), and one's personal sense of accomplishment. /corny ^_^ hehe

If your base scores keep going up over time, that's a win! And if you keep getting better at remembering where the items "hide" -> they'll keep going up, and occasionally those will sync up with 3+ good rolls, whether you "ration" your rolls or not. Til then... you're not missing anything super from that glutton Champ kitty
Good luck! BZO

kiki232627
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by kiki232627 on Jul 12, 16 8:39 PM
AussieSweet wrote:
But even with a good base score I cannot make it in the top 100 without the good spins. And it seems that luck turned away from me I only need one more time to get the kitty!

Keep trying. It can be done! Yesterday out of nowhere I got 4 incredible spins and I got the highest score I ever had and I finally got my kitty. No more tournaments for me. Thank God!

ofitg7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by ofitg7 on Jul 13, 16 7:42 PM
Just finished the tournament, on PC, played three times and first score was the best of the three. It was not a winner but it was never even posted to the board. I checked the board several times while the tournament was running and again after closing. Is this a regular happening, if so, we could loose out on a top one hundred score, if I could ever be so lucky to get that far, but would still like to see a posting.

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 14, 16 1:50 PM
ofitg7, I've had that happen too - it's frustrating even if the score wouldn't have resulted in diamonds. I wish I knew why it ever happened, though it seems most likely to happen when I've had the game running a loooong time (like fell asleep on it) or when I've got a lot going on my PC. One time a disk clean helped.
In any case tho, definitely submit the problem to Tech Support see link on the Help page (top right corner in desktop view of this page). Try to screenshot your score with the leaderboard where you *should* be and aren't to help w/documentation. (I have trouble w/screenshots of this game the usual way on PC, so snapped a pic w/my phone )

Also, just yesterday downloaded MC on Android (for the MiniEvt) and today got my 1st tournament there!
I see how it still tells you your "Accuracy" but the score's a N/A. So, revising my PC stuff from earlier this thread:
There are 5000 fewer points points possible for each room in Android (& iOS) since no 5000 accuracy-bonus.
So, what I'd considered a decent base score of 15,000 per room, is 10,000 on a mobile.
As an example (Imperfect b/c only 1 data point for me!):
131,523 was the 100th place score (for the achievement )
121,868 the last 1-diamond score (happened to be 142nd)
If you'd scored
10,000 per room-> 50,000-> 4x 30% rolls would have won a diamond.
11,000 per room-> 55,000-> 3x 30% & a 10% would have been top 100.

Lots of spin combos possible!.. just an illustration to get an idea of what kind of spins you'd need on Android w/ a decent vs great score to win... you can play with the math
Don't know if winning scores are higher on iOS since it seems lots more people play there?
Cheers! --BZO

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 14, 16 2:16 PM
iOS has a tourney going right now - top score is 266,266. So far. 45 min to go.
100th place is 143,568 with 3 diamonds.
Update:
100th place now 153,410 with 14 diamonds
Lowest 1 diamond score 134,622

Things change very quickly in the last 1/2 hour EXCEPT at the top. Usually the top 10 are there from the first round & stay there the whole time. Very odd.

Final scores: top score unchanged, 266,266
100th place, 157,539 with 14 diamonds
Lowest 1 diamond score, 134,316
3910 participants

Edited on 07/14/2016 at 4:03:30 PM PST

dlsed
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by dlsed on Jul 14, 16 3:49 PM
Borkzo.......... states...........

Re: "wasting" rolls. I'm honestly not sure if that's how it works. It depends if they've programmed it to have X number of 40s or 50s (...) per tournaments or time period, or if they're allotted probabilities as a percentage of spins. If it's "you get X 40s/50s per tournament" or day or whatever, a boatload of spins sorta waters down chances of getting good spins. BUT, if it's "you're likely to get X 40s/50s for every 100 spins," then no, spins aren't so much wasted[b].

this is an interesting observation. However i have a small batch of first hand information which won't support this. I too am a player who won't even bother spinning when i win less than 3 spins. But in doing that, i still see no difference in my alotted 10 spins!!! yikes.

thing i can't understand is how there is such a high amount of regular finisher in top 30. how does this happen? And how do they improve their scores? i can count on 1 hand; in 7 mos of tournament play for 2 players, the times i improved a top 50 score. very very rare. i understand that if you have a modestly high score, and are assured of diamonds (say over 5 or 10), that in a sense you can buy a couple 'free' turns because your using 'house diamonds'. that's the only way i can fathom the ability to constantly improve one's score.

great post!!

Knim
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
411 Posts

[Post New]by Knim on Jul 14, 16 10:04 PM
Had an update... made for a real slowdown and 4 frozen with reboot needed. Went to tournament and guess what showing wrong % again. Am very careful and accurate. Looks like the clicks on chips are lowering accuracy % like in May. The other day had a 92% how is that possible? TOAD455631 PC

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 15, 16 12:24 PM
That's really interesting how much higher the iOS scores are than the Android ones! I assume because lots more players.

There was an Android tourney I missed last night that had only 800-something players! (very early a.m. US-times)
Forgot to screenshot or copy down exact scores, but took a mental note that
101st place was 125,000-ish and
Last diamond-winning place was 115,000-ish.

Another droid tourney just started and it's midday Friday, so I'll note what happens w/what should be lotsa participation relatively.

Bottom line tho? If you're languishing in the 200th/300th place doldrums on iOS, you might be a king or queen of the Android/Kindle tourneys! (and at lowly level 10 on that OS, I could sure use the diamonds...)

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 15, 16 1:15 PM
Knim: I just played on PC; chip-clicks didn't ding my accuracy. It sounds like your computer has a lag between what the screen/graphics are saying, and what it's recording as your clicks. That happens more when your memory is maxed out (which sounds like it is, from the freeze). All I can rec is run a disk cleaner, delete/disable any program you don't use and if that doesn't work, contact Tech Spt?

dlsed: I'm also stumped why some players are pretty consistently in the top 50, especially on PC where wildly hitting everything will get lousy accuracy. Best guess is insane speed. Reasoning:
The max for accuracy (PC) is 5000. You can get less but not more. And (all) the 12-in-a-row items bonus has a ceiling also, I think, b/c only 12 possible. So the only thing that could go higher indefinitely is speed. These tourney toppers might have some great system of knowing exactly where the items might be and going straight there in a whirlwind.
The times I've gotten >18000 for a room (PC) or once >13000 rm on mobile, I was on a roll and the items were in places I'm used to, where I look first, so total time was low-20s seconds. It could have been faster, hypothetically, if I hadn't "wasted" time looking around, so people with superb hands/coordination, eyes AND memories could definitely get below 20sec for an outrageous time bonus. Would still probably need at least 1 round of spins that was decent, but it'd take the pressure off considerably!
To clarify: The items don't move between turns in the same tourney! So I *def* recommend making a "memory game" of it ,so even if your 1st times thru are meh you can go right to the items, breezing thru w/lower times (higher score) in later turns.
They also might be SUPER aggressive about purchasing extra plays w/diamonds.. if you're good enough to likely win diamonds often (or have tons and are bored at L71), it could be worth it.
That... or... they've sold their soul/firstborn to the wheel-spinny gods or sacrifice a baby unicorn to them or something -BZO

ETA: If you are one of those players in the top 50 very often, please do chime in with a top tip! (I realize if everybody gets really good/fast now, I'll get fewer lucky-diamond wins, but whatever.. I got my kitty and would rather help )

Edited on 07/15/2016 at 1:20:12 PM PST

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 15, 16 2:16 PM
I just got my best base score ever - 60,220 - & found 10 chips. You guessed it, 10%,10%,10%. And one of those spins actually stopped on the 50% & then jumped to the 10%!!!
Nope, I'll never have the problem of struggling to feed that fat cat!

Go to: