oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree CE here.

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Jul 9, 16 4:15 AM
purplecat8 wrote:I managed almost 40 minutes before being overwhelmed by tedium. The art is not too bad, though not what it was before the current game maker took it over. The story line and the games are blah. I needed a lot of hints to find the fragmented objects. Too bad, this series was a favorite in the past.

I admire your staying power, I only managed 20 minutes.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree CE here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 9, 16 8:17 AM
Well I'm in the minority but that's nothing new. I generally dislike the games that get 5 star reviews and are fawned over by some. I usually like the games that are criticised by the majority and this game is no exception.

I love the Dark Parables games and I don't care if the story makes sense or not. These games are the only ones being created that are pure FROG'S and throwing in other styles of HOS would ruin what makes them special. Let's hope Eipix keeps to the original premise; that 'Dark Parables' are always fragmented object games.

Blue Tea's artwork was undoubtedly superior; Eipix do their best but I miss the exquisite beauty of the fragments and the utterly gorgeous completed objects. The fragments seem flat now and consequently, harder to find. But they are still pretty to look at, as are the graphics. The puzzles are quite entertaining and neither too easy nor too difficult. I didn't take too much notice of the story but it is based around the classic White Swan/Black Swan characters. I couldn't find many acorns or Parables; they are hard to see. The game is customisable and the map transports.

I bought this game without trying the demo; it's a Dark Parable and its a FROG. If we don't support these games, Eipix may well decide to drop them and we will lose the only pure FROG being made. So I will buy every one of these games as long as Eipix keep making them

Athenatoo
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Athenatoo on Jul 9, 16 1:52 PM
I also appear to be in the minority I loved it! While I agree that the fragments are a tad difficult to find in the HOPs (maybe that was the goal?), the game as a whole was enchanting and fun. I do agree that morphing objects and the acorns were hard to find (developers: do not assume everyone has high end resolution and monitors) so that could be a "need to improve" for the next chapter in the series. The story line seemed to hang together well and each chapter also had coherence. I'm looking forward to the next episode!

[Post New]by Stardancer001 on Jul 10, 16 1:35 PM
Very disappointing compared to the previous Dark Parables games.

The graphics are nowhere near as good as they used to be, the game doesn't really flow (you are sent backwards and forwards illogically) and the story itself ... oh well.
If this is the new standard for the Dark Parables series, this is certainly the last one I bought.

Very sad because they're some of my all time favourites.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jul 10, 16 7:49 PM

I'll try to keep this one short...

The game muddled the story a bit too much, and it became confusing in the end. The story of the Swan Princess has the two female characters named as Odile/ Odette, and it shouldn't have been that hard to put that in the game. By changing the title from a royal title to one in a guard's rank, it complicated the story needlessly. When at one point in the game one of the characters addresses the Swan Princess as Your Highness...I don't know if it was an error or what. You only address royalty like that, not the high ranking member of a guard. I don't mind twists in stories, but at least stay consistent. And can we stop with the whole "woman warrior" armor design? I'm sure that many females in medieval times who fought didn't use all that, and it wasn't about physical strength, but rather intelligence.

Overall, this one missed the mark. Overcomplicated story, dark graphics...at least make them look good if there aren't going to be light. And please, if you're going to make a long game, at least don't set to a pace that really drags.

gheudi
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by gheudi on Jul 11, 16 8:47 AM
I found this game deplorably lower in all respects to previous games of this genre. The story line was obscure and convoluted, having little to do with the 'theme'. The game play was also overdone, requiring too much back and forth, repetitive movement.
Unfortunately, I had so enjoyed most of the previous games in the series that I purchased this one without previewing it. A mistake on my part. The stories, the graphics and the games themselves were so well done in previous issues. Too bad the standards have slipped so badly.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

Visual Delight

[Post New]by Beingknown on Jul 14, 16 7:25 PM
HELLO FELLOW FISHIES

I just thought I’d take a dip into the pond today to share my impressions of the Blue Tea, Eipix recent game “Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree”. First of all, I found the graphics to be bright, beautiful, and clearly defined.

As always, I appreciate the option of being able to set my own game play mode and set to “custom” as is my usual preference. I enjoy having a map that both transports, indicates available tasks, and objectives. I really enjoy the morphing objects, the collectibles found, and the achievements accomplished being available within the scenes.

I enjoyed the sound effects and the background sounds . I also appreciate being able to skip the dialog. It was fun to find the hidden signs and souvenirs. While I did not find the HOPs unpleasant per se, I do wish there had been an alternative game to play. As these old eyes of mine continue to tire, I find HOPs more and more tedious to complete. I enjoyed this game and encourage you to at least try the demo to discover if you enjoy it too.

HAPPY GAMING ~B

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Jul 17, 16 7:50 AM
I think I have figured out why I was so disappointed in this game. I went back to the first DP games and oh, the difference. For a starters there were more FROGs in the first chapter than in the entire game in this latest failing effort. For another start, things progressed in an orderly fashion according to a clear story, unlike this game, which hopped all over the place for no particular reason except perhaps the developer was bored with it. I wonder if this is deliberate so the series can be killed off with a minimum outcry from those of us who loved it?

Edited on 07/17/2016 at 7:51:07 AM PST

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Jul 18, 16 5:01 PM
I found the graphics a bit dated. Someone mentioned "voice overs". This is the second game I've played where the lips are moving and no sound is coming out. That kind of put me off finishing the demo.

[Post New]by EccentricChick on Jul 24, 16 3:27 PM
As with the previous DP game, I'm kind of on the fence with this one. Graphics wise, it did better than the last one. The story on the other hand... what story? There wasn't much of a plot at all which was rather disappointing. Considering that the convoluted plots were what made the DP games so great.

It was okay, and felt rather short (maybe that's just me) but I wasn't really too satisfied with this one.

[Post New]by lijakaca on Jul 25, 16 3:10 PM
I always buy Dark Parables games, just because there are so few fairy tale/fantasy-based HOG/FROGs available compared to horror.

However, I didn't enjoy this one that much. I found that I often had to use the hint button, not for the FROGs but because the next action or step I had to take either didn't make sense, or was very picky in terms of using an item in a certain place on a screen/object.

This kind of thing made it feel a lot more finicky and less fun for me. I didn't mind the story, although I didn't pay enough attention and so sometimes got confused as to who was which Swan Princess etc.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree CE here.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Aug 1, 16 7:16 AM
Based on completed game and bonus

I actually liked this one and I have been especially hard on this series since it was taken over. I would say that this game is my favorite since the changeover from Blue Tea to Eipix.

I thought the story was just fine. I knew what was going on and what I was supposed to be doing. The story was more cohesive this time. Some earlier editions were serious mash-ups of about 4 different fairy tales. This one was far more focused and I appreciated that.

Visually, this game did not look like the typical Eipix game. So I was able to sink into this one better than I could the last few. I thought the graphics were quite nice for the fairy tale theme. A bit muted, but that was okay for me. I really, really don't want all the games to look the same.

The challenge level was quite nice for me. I did not get the ultimate puzzle speed achievement on my playthrough - which I normally get on games from this developer. I enjoyed the mini-game they chose for the repeating puzzles. It's a 'make the right number of connections between blocks' (dice in this case), but they changed the configurations from the standard and made them fun and interesting to me. Collectibles were also a challenge. I wish Eipix would do more of the random morphs where you don't know where you might find them, instead of knowing you will get them in the HOP scenes.

As far as the FROGs? I thought this was the best set of FROGs Eipix has done. Some of the earlier attempts were more like HOPs, as the pieces were actual items instead of fragments and size and color were not always true to the clues in the bottom bar. This time, we actually got fragments and the finished products were more ornate than they have been in a long while. I could go back to how I have always done FROGs, i.e., looking at the bar for a couple seconds for colors & themes, then ignoring it and just picking up all the pieces from the scene in front of me. I can usually grab everything but one or two items that way. It made me very happy to be able to do that again.

I thought the length was very good, in part because the puzzles and collectibles were more challenging in this one. Also in part because they tried to make the game world a bit larger in this one.

I had fun which was a happy surprise. I recommend this game if you like FROGs and these kinds of themes.

Edited on 08/01/2016 at 4:02:54 PM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Oct 15, 16 6:09 AM
Bartsister, I noticed that your mention of of the game developers didn't get censored by BFG. Not your fault you were giving your opinion as all of us have. Funny that your mention was a positive one rather than negative. Mmmm I wonder if that's why it hasn't been removed?

pysanky13
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by pysanky13 on Feb 22, 17 4:31 AM
I've only just started this game, and have 6 dark parable games so far. I would just like to say THANK YOU for the jump map! this is the first one I found it in, although the others did have helpful maps. I am not buying them in order and all are not CE, which I usually get. So far I like the game as well as any of them.

Go to: