scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

Re:Anyone finished? Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 18, 10 7:41 PM
OK it didn't suck as bad as the cartoony screenshots led me to believe it might, but I do agree that w/ the dark bluish scenes, graphix should've been crisper. Red tarot card? Green tarot card? They all looked purple to me. Tho if the graphix were clearer, the difficulty level would've gone way down & made this too EZ. The discoloration is what made things tougher to find, not cleverness in hiding or smallness of HOs. Some of those tarot cards were the size of Kansas LOL you couldn't miss em if you tried. The puzzles were all really simple to figure out so no head-banging; in fact (& I'm not a huge puzzle fan, mind) I got a tad insulted on how things like putting together a simple shield led you by the hand w/ outlines. I mean, it was 4 pieces, & only 2 of them the same shape, so at the most all you could've made was one mistake in it. So I thought the whole thing wasn't up to adult difficulty standards, yet w/ the tarot theme I can't see this being a huge sale to a younger audience whose skill levels might be better suited. Good for an intro to a simple IHOG. O & there were far too many spot the differences w/ the tarot cards! FYI for those who hate em, there's one in nearly every scene. Pretty deck, tho. The good thing is it allows use of hints for those & for puzzles if needed, & hints were unlimited & fast-loading. Typical evil magician storyline w/ the fortune-teller being the only one who can save the day. Yknow just once I'd like to see evil triumph ROFL b/c what's the pt in playing if you know the good one will likely win? Maybe on a DD. Got thru 6 chapters in the demo hr, how many they got?

[Post New]by andygoldie on Feb 18, 10 10:06 PM
First time asking for help - usually I can catch on rather quicjkly,. But I am stumped right off the bat. I am clueless how to "tackle" the serial number game. How did I miss the "clues '? surely they're somewhere???!!!

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Feb 18, 10 10:26 PM
Scarlet_11dy6 Thank you for a well written review. I only wish you had completed the game too so you could tell me how long it is. Oh well !! Can't have everything.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Feb 18, 10 11:22 PM
I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't. I'm certainly not a fan of tarot cards, but I didn't find them a major part of the game. You do have to find them in the junk pile hidden objects, but otherwise, the only other parts they are used are very easily skipped over. I finished the mansion and was well into the next section when the hour ended. The music was fine and it wasn't difficult to figure out what to do.

My only complaint, and it is a major one I think, is the fact that the graphics are somewhat blurry and the colors are so dark that it is extremely hard to find some items. On some I still don't believe they were really there! I used a hint and just clicked on the area where the circle was to find the item. At least the hint refills quickly, but I found it frustrating and not enjoyable to have to use the hint so much. I am also not a fan of spot-the-difference and there were many in the game...several in each level. Again, skipable, but I feel that if I have to skip a lot of a game, it isn't worth my playing.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Feb 19, 10 4:49 AM
I was so excited about this game that I bought it before I finished the hour Demo. I am now so sorry I bought it. I have tried and tried to play it and can only get so far and then can go no farther. I have even tried playing under different names thinking maybe I had messed up under one so tried another. This is the first time I have felt so frustrated with a game and would gladly give it back if I could.

I like Spot the Difference. I do not even mind using a hint once in a while. After all that is what they are there for. When a room or scene gives a message that there is nothing else available at this time and to else where for now, heck, I do not even mind that. I am not fond of junk piles ,, but again I can live with that.

Some of the scenes are rather dark, others are kinda smoky .. I can even handle that. Just let me progressssssssssssssssssss

Edited on 02/19/2010 at 4:57:01 AM PST

puzzlingmom77
Marlin
Marlin
8,539 Posts

[Post New]by puzzlingmom77 on Feb 19, 10 4:58 AM
Just finished...on my second try. I had the same problems as many others in the forums-I got stuck when leaving South town and all the doors were locked. Played again under another game and made it through. So, to all those who want to finish it, just make sure not to leave South Town. There is no reason to do so anyway.
Hard to say how long it was because of starting/restarting but I'd putting it at about 3 1/2-4 hrs.
FYI: No reason to do the spot the differences puzzles unless you can't figure out how to proceed. I didn't do any the second time and it was not an issue.
Graphics were awesome. I loved how the screen shot moved. For music, there was just one song that looped over and over.
I liked the game. I just wish the bugs were out before they released it.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Feb 19, 10 6:13 AM
I only played part of the demo so I can't review it fully. Some of the remarks have made me wonder if I would have been interested if it didn't have the tarot theme, which does take a bit of research rather than using some blank rectangles and calling them 'tarot' (remind anyone of another game?).

Some of my cards were easily seen as the right color but others were blended until one looked brown...I know I had a green one.

As far as children, tarot enthusiasts often introduce their children to the tarot so that would not be any issue if the game were suitable otherwise. There are even several decks designed especially for children. It doesn't seem exactly like a child's game to me but then it's been a long time since my children were young.

I'll probably still buy it next month if they get rid of the bugs.

Edited on 02/19/2010 at 6:15:34 AM PST

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Feb 19, 10 1:35 PM
Diana_Mc wrote:I only played part of the demo so I can't review it fully. Some of the remarks have made me wonder if I would have been interested if it didn't have the tarot theme, which does take a bit of research rather than using some blank rectangles and calling them 'tarot' (remind anyone of another game?).

Some of my cards were easily seen as the right color but others were blended until one looked brown...I know I had a green one.

As far as children, tarot enthusiasts often introduce their children to the tarot so that would not be any issue if the game were suitable otherwise. There are even several decks designed especially for children. It doesn't seem exactly like a child's game to me but then it's been a long time since my children were young.

I'll probably still buy it next month if they get rid of the bugs.

I agree - objects are really hard to find - plus the bugs are not worked out yet. When I found something needed to complete a puzzle it disappeared so I couldn't go any further (broke the barrels but didnt' get the wand insignia) I don't know, just too frustrating to really enjoy.

[Post New]by cherubsfire on Feb 19, 10 4:33 PM
I enjoyed the game and finished in 2.5 hours. Only used about 5 hints, to me the puzzles were obvious. If you played the face up tarot card in screen shots it gave clues as to what to do. I enjoy mystic games and wish there were more of them. I had no glitches or bugs, smooth sailing through the game. I also have a gaming computer, that is very fast. I would recommend buying the game, hope there is a sequel. Many levels to keep you intrigued. Click on the map Icon it tells you how many levels. The game explains if you have to go elsewhere to find some clues. Grey means you have to do an action before retrieving an item. Blue means it is in plain site. You can't please everyone. All in all I would give it a 3.5 out of 5.

[Post New]by lindam1142 on Feb 19, 10 4:52 PM
Not the most game player friendly. Several hidden objects are really hidden. Don't like to use hint button, but this game you have to use them too much. Not one of my favorites - If there is a sequel I won't buy.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Feb 19, 10 6:51 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:Yet another game with occult type themes? Sorry, but no sale here. Surely, other subjects can be found. I know some people like these types of games and I'm not saying to not have any at all. I would just not care to see so many of them so often.
I would much rather see more historical themes and family oriented games in IHOG. I know there have been a few-"Murder She wrote" and "Love Story:Letters From The Past", to name two, but it seems games like those don't come out very often. Please, , bring us more family type games like the two I mentioned.

I personally prefer the darker games--the darker and spookier the bettter!

There's no reason that games which are dark can't incorporate learning, history, or anything else--the very best stories and movies do.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Feb 19, 10 11:31 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... I just finished the game and loved it. I had some problems, NOT with the game ... It was all me. I Love this game. Took me several hours over 3 days. At one point, I was ready to just delete and say forget it. Again, Not the game.. all meeeeee..

Thank you BF for bringing this game to us.

flowerfan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Not Finished (but a few comments about lockouts & backtracking

[Post New]by flowerfan on Feb 19, 10 11:58 PM
Hello all!

I am pretty good w/HOG's...(ie: have only used the forum to ask about 4 questions in over 2 years, never use the Guides I buy and once in a blue moon reference
a walkthrough when available...basically, if I like it I whiz thru it and if I don't, I delete it! LOL!)

Anyway, am posting this b/c I am stuck in the forest...I know what I need, but don't have anywhere else to look. Assume I need to go forward to find them and come back, but not sure yet b/c of all this "glitch" discussion. I, too, have the ever flashing card, but I think as long as you rec'd the clue when complete, it shouldn't affect anything, right?

Also, wanted to suggest selecting the Map button, it brings up tiny thumbnails of all the scenes and see if any of them display the "place name" when you mouse over it. I found that the only one that does that is the Forest scene that I'm stuck in.

Lastly, I have gone all the way back to town center several times and have always been able to get back to the forest (checking to see if I missed something, but all scenes tell me to go away, nothing there for me). So, if that's a glitch for so many, I'm wondering if the posts were written before the first fix came out, which I believe was Thursday, 2/18. When I was downloading Taj game (boy, does that suck!), the game manager asked if I wanted to initiate the fix, so I did b/c I hadn't started the game (until now, 2/19-20... after midnight).

Sorry if this didn't provide any insight, but I thought I'd take the time b/c so many are having problems...maybe a few will be assisted I hope. Big THANK YOU to Margie B....you're incredible!
Take care, Eileen (flowerfan)

[Post New]by tisherself1 on Feb 20, 10 6:15 AM
I got all items except the gear. Hint showed me where to find but message said no item here to find. Don't think i will waste my credits on this .

[Post New]by bethstav on Feb 20, 10 8:53 AM
Just finished this game took me about 3 hours, not bad. Got stuck early on in the game couldn't find the second lot of barrels to break to find the 4th piece of the shield. I think the hint button could be a bit more helpful maybe give clues on where to look for hidden objects that are not in the same place as you are.
Overall the game was good.

[Post New]by SandraG1000 on Feb 20, 10 10:53 AM
I've just started, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I wonder if the comments about "invisible items" are related to the scrolling backgrounds. I love this and I have found several items hidden behind something until I changed my position. I find all the more obvious things first and then move around to look for all the truly hidden items.

I'm new to casual games, but someone recommended this game as I love tarot cards!

Well, I'm back to the play the game. I will review it completely when I'm done.

chasseur
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by chasseur on Feb 20, 10 3:26 PM
Just finished this game. It took me about 41/2 hours and I am not a whiz HOG player. It may not have been as long as Age of Oracles: Tara's Journey, but it wasn't so tedious or nearly as preachy. Stangely, the most diffucult items for me to find were the Tarot cards. I found that if I stopped getting impatient I could find everything. I generally do not like "spot the difference" games. In this case, I rather liked it because the cards were so well done. What I wouldn't give to get a Tarot deck as pretty as this one. As for comments about it being applicable for children; my father taught me to "read" cards, tea leaves, coffee grounds and palms etc when I was v/ young. One other note: Because this game has a panning feature it is important to look behind you and around corners.

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 3:28:36 PM PST

[Post New]by njj0419 on Feb 20, 10 3:33 PM
this was a fun game but the objects were hidden almost too hard. I liked it very much will play again!!

[Post New]by fydylib on Feb 20, 10 5:21 PM
andygoldie wrote:First time asking for help - usually I can catch on rather quicjkly,. But I am stumped right off the bat. I am clueless how to "tackle" the serial number game. How did I miss the "clues '? surely they're somewhere???!!!

Just finished and had a great time!

[Post New]by SandraG1000 on Feb 20, 10 9:20 PM
This was a fun game with some really enjoyable elements. I loved the scrolling screens and the extra level of searching it created. I also really enjoyed the moving around town, back tracking and using items from other areas to solve puzzels.

I thought it looked great.

I might have liked the puzzles to be a little harder, but this certainly did not detract from the game.

I had no problems making it through. I have read a lot of people say they are stuck at different spots and I think this may be related to the placement of items. I did find that I had to be specific with where I put my cursor when I was using items to solve problems, but this was nothing I could not deal with.

A very nice evening spent playing.

Thanks to The Tarot Misfortune!

Go to: