No Skip no Buy

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:No Skip no Buy

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 19, 10 12:23 PM
i'm with you all the way! NO SKIP NO BUY!! mini-games should not be game-stoppers.
the problem is, most game developers are young and no doubt way healthier than many of us who are their customers.
developers: your challenge is to always remember your target group. elevate your games by offering us crisp clear graphics, bright screens with reasonably-sized objects, and diverse mini-games which always can be skipped, hopefully without penalty. as long as i'm wishing, no timers either.
thank you lineck for starting this thread, NO SKIP NO BUY is a real rallying cry.

Edited on 02/19/2010 at 12:46:45 PM PST

redrose1940
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by redrose1940 on Feb 19, 10 12:23 PM
Definitely NO SKIP-NO BUY!!!!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Feb 19, 10 12:35 PM
Count me in, as well. If I can't skip a puzzle that stresses me, then I don't want the game. Same goes for those awful timers in match-3 games. I don't play a game to add stress. I play a game to get rid of it!! Developers, WHY aren't you listening???

[Post New]by girouard347 on Feb 19, 10 12:45 PM
First post ever (although have been reading the forums for over a year) : I HATE memory puzzles! I absolutely agree with everyone in this thread:

NO SKIP NO BUY

[Post New]by sheila45 on Feb 19, 10 12:46 PM
i do not like this game beacase it has no way of what to do so how ever made this game did not have game people in mine .

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Feb 19, 10 1:04 PM
I love HOG's, not INVISIBLE objects! Give us a break, developers. Games are suppose to be enjoyable, not frustrating. Waiting for a hint to discover the location of "objects" is not a fun game. Won't be purchasing this dog.

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on Feb 19, 10 1:15 PM
"I remember that horrible organ thing in dream chronicles that you had to copy the tune. My husband finally had to get me out of it"...... I am laughing at this because I remember that darn organ puzzle!!!! I actually used a marker to WRITE on my computer screen to get past it! I also agree with those that say this type of puzzle is nothing but frustrating; especially for those of us who do not read music or play an instrument. I am not buying this one. The map is confusing and I felt like I was going round and round in circles and getting nowhere fast. The graphics are pretty though.

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Feb 19, 10 1:31 PM
No Skip No Buy!

Thanks for the warning - I will not even download the demo.

Sorry to get off topic slightly - there is also the issue of - Bought But Sorry Because There Is One Thing I CANNOT DO.

Zuma's Revenge - can't do the third boss level - no skip. Sorry I bought it because it is way too short because of this.

Avenue Flo - I finally got the aerobics, but it was SO out of character with the rest of the game. There was no warning that there would be this one thing that was so much harder - and no skip.

Thanks for the place to vent.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Feb 19, 10 1:48 PM
fudgem wrote:I too have dumped this game because there is no skip, not only that but there is no access to the menu so had to summon the task manager to close the game, no buy

I agree with everyone so far. I like to be able to skip the puzzles if I feel the need to. I try not to, but sometimes I have to. Also, IMO I found this game awful. You have to find the exact spot at the side or bottom of the screen to navigate away from the present screen- I found this frustrating. I don't like having to search for the navigation arrow. I found the layout and setup poor, with no access to the menu from the game screen, and the hints took WAY too long regenerating. Since the graphics and storyline were humdrum, there was nothing in this game that made it worthwhile to buy. I uninstalled it after 22 minutes. Yawn.

kit

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Feb 19, 10 1:49 PM
girouard347 wrote:First post ever (although have been reading the forums for over a year) : I HATE memory puzzles! I absolutely agree with everyone in this thread:

NO SKIP NO BUY

Welcome to the pond!

I "kind of wiith you" on the no skip no buy. First, I too dislike the mini-games where you have to repeat the tunes. If you're tone deaf, this is really a challenge. However, my second point is, if there is a walkthrough that can give me hints, I might consider purchasing. Until I see the walkthrough, I with you, NO SKIP, NO BUY.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Feb 19, 10 1:51 PM
kinget wrote:I have fibromyalgia which causes short-term memory problems fondly known as fibro-fog, so I am with everybody else on this one. I play these games as a distraction from the pain, so I don't need the stress of time penalties or especially no-skip puzzles. I've passed on a lot of games for just that reason.

I too have fibro. I like to use the games and the puzzles within the games to keep fibro-fog to a minimum. That and going back to school for my PhD sure helps to keep the fibro-fog away. :-)

I agree kinget that Big Fish games are my favorite way to distract me from my pain. I'd be much less functional because of my fibro if I didn't have HOGs and IHOGs to play. Keep 'em coming BFG!

kit

daisimai
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by daisimai on Feb 19, 10 1:57 PM
Kalavinka wrote:I like the fact that you can not skip puzzles.... Shows a bit of integrity on the part of the game makers. I skip a puzzle now and then, but usually if I pick at it long enough I can solve it.

While I like picking at puzzles once I own the game and have lots of time to figure them out, I do like to see a skip if I can't get them. I also don't like the 3 chances and you're out type idea, where you have to start all over again if you can't complete the puzzle in 3 tries.

I'll vote with the rest of you...no skip, no buy.

Zoesgran
Herring
Herring
365 Posts

[Post New]by Zoesgran on Feb 19, 10 2:03 PM
I was looking at buying this game, thank you for the review, I will save my money and buy something else instead because I agree with you all, no skip no buy.

I also found that dratted organ in dream chronicles a pain, but what really stressed me out was that awful chess game just near the end. I could NOT remember the moves. I never did finish that game because of it.

Edited on 02/19/2010 at 2:04:45 PM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Feb 19, 10 2:12 PM
NO SKIP, NO BUY,Here TOO!

I always check the reviews at GameZ to see if the puzzles can be skipped in any game that I'm interested in,because they give more thorough gameplay info there.
I have crossed several off my list because they will not let you skip the puzzles,and/or they are timed,can't stand those stress producers,either!

There are some folks who enjoy timed games/puzzles and don't mind if you can't skip so for their enjoyment,and ours,I think all games should have the option to choose,timed ,and easy mode where you can skip puzzles.

Edited on 02/19/2010 at 6:32:04 PM PST

LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Feb 19, 10 2:54 PM
obrien60 wrote: Thank goodness I am not alone. I dread those memory mini games that escalate to being really hard. I skip them too. I will not even download the trial now.

me too, thanks for the heads up!
Blessings,
LucyMarie

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Feb 19, 10 3:39 PM
I was really enjoying the demo, and then I hit the flower tiles. Only 3 tries and then start over and no skip. I could see if the puzzle remained the same until I hit a match, or had a skip button that I could click, and possibly play the mini-game later. I am not sure about the member that indicated the game only lasted 10 minutes past the demo. Maybe he/she had a magic wand that solved these side games. Or maybe the mini-game did not require a solution to complete the game. I am really sad because I was really enjoying, but I also must say,"No skip, no buy."

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 19, 10 5:10 PM
Absolutely, I agree with you 100%. This game had a lot of potential...no sound, but a lot of potential. I thought a lot of the game was slightly annoying, enough so that I would not dream of buying it. My issues?
1. The graphics were a little fuzzy, beautiful scenery, but fuzzy. I would not have minded had there NOT been a click penalty...you are searching for bugs in a garden, for crying out loud...there are gonna be some extraneous clicks. Why Why WHY do game developers punish us for checking out the scene?

2. Hint was too slow to recharge...again, why developers think this is a good idea escapes me. We are playing for fun. Some love a challenge, and won't use ANY hints...some like lots of hints...so what? If I don't feel like looking for the last two stupid bugs, I shouldn't have to wait two minutes to move on, nor deal with the silly click penalty. What difference would it make if I found absolutely NOTHING on my own, but used hint after hint? People are playing for pleasure and stress relief...make it so that we can play at ANY level. I seldom use hints, but when I want them, I want them, and no foolishness, just give me a $#%$#%#$ hint!

3. No skip feature. I too had problems with the pond puzzle, hated it...hated it...HATED it. It is my game...I should be able to skip any and all parts I dislike. I bought it, it is my stress level...give me a skip option.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 19, 10 5:28 PM
Oh, yeah, a previous poster commented on the sludgy navigation...I agree, this game was not much fun at first, because I couldn't navigate easily, and was just sort of shuffling back and forth between a couple of scenes, trying to figure out what was expected of me.

Also...don't call it a map if it isn't one. A list of names of areas is just that if it doesn't help you navigate...make maps interactive, or skip them entirely, they are not very helpful without linking capabilities. Also, in a game such as this, wouldn't it have been nice if there was some indication as to whether the area was active or had been completed?

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 19, 10 5:33 PM
NO SKIP...NO BUY!
THE FED- UP GAMERS CRY!
iF YOU WANT TO GET MY MONEY
YOU MUST LET ME PASS IT BY!

Zenzy
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by Zenzy on Feb 19, 10 5:54 PM
I hate those puzzles to where you have to remember each time but I have a trick that I do... at the fountain ..I would get a paper and draw the 3 post..then I would number each circle that pop out..this helps me as I also am not good at memory and I hate getting frustrated on a game that i am suppose to enjoy..hope this helps..

Go to: