nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches

[Post New]by nwl43 on Mar 7, 10 7:53 PM
peggysu wrote:We hated this game. "We" being sister and I - not the royal WE. But you can curtsy if you like... lol!

We play a couple of hours every night when we find a game in this genre. However this one was not fun at all. We ended up having to pull up a walkthru to get thru it.

There's no real dialogue, no interactive play with the character, no hints to say, "I don't need this yet" or "that won't work" or anything! It's just mindless attempts to figure out what goes where.

The combinations to get the orbs was a crap shoot... who would think to combine cement with a hat - or whatever it was... and put it in a burn barrell. ??? Sheeesh.

We like a challenge within reason but this was really more of a gambler's game. If you're lucky and guess right you got a clue in your notebook. Bummer.

Actually there were lots of clues in this game. It just took time and patience to work them out. The paper in the mill gave you the color clues for pairing the objects. Gypsum (cement) was orange; therefore it was paired with the orange glove. I'm not saying everyone has to like this game. But it's somewhat unfair to judge it as a poor game by claiming there were no clues for playing it. Those of us who managed it without the walkthrough would beg to differ.

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Mar 8, 10 5:18 AM
Just finished the game two minutes ago and at the moment feel as though there is something missing in my life,

The game was absolutely wonderful with gorgeous graphics as well, o.k. I did need plenty of help but that was there in the walkthrough so no problems with that either,. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best adventure games I have ever played,

Can't wait for the next one to come from these people.

Thank you.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

Wonderful game!

[Post New]by joyzebra on Mar 8, 10 11:35 AM
I am a gamer nut and this game is wonderful! I highly recommend it. Just please make sure you save frequently in case you mess up.

[Post New]by magicalnat on Mar 9, 10 7:36 AM
Can I have a little help on this game please, if anyone can...I am on Chapter Two and am trying to combine the 3 stones together, but every time I right click in inventory it does nothing, I've also try combining by left clicking, still nothing...I have repeated this part 4 times now, just in case I missed something, still nothing...get rather frustrated....thank you

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Mar 9, 10 3:02 PM
magicalnat wrote:Can I have a little help on this game please, if anyone can...I am on Chapter Two and am trying to combine the 3 stones together, but every time I right click in inventory it does nothing, I've also try combining by left clicking, still nothing...I have repeated this part 4 times now, just in case I missed something, still nothing...get rather frustrated....thank you

Hi Magicalnat

Sorry you're having problems with Rhiannon. The combining of the slates seems to be a stumbling block for some players as if there is something wrong with the original download. It seems to correct itself if you uninstall and reinstall the game but you must not, under any circumstances, use any save you have already created. This means you'll need to start the game again which I know is very frustrating but is the only way to get rid of the glitch.

There is some further information on the technical thread of this forum. If you send me a PM I may be able to help further.
Best wishes
Karen

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Mar 10, 10 8:54 PM
I really enjoyed this game!

I love good story lines, characters and a bit of a campfire scare here and there. I'm glad I had a notebook ready, becasue I took notes...lot's of notes. But that's what you have to do with games such as this one. I looked back at a walkthrough once or twice but found that the sotry line was not that difficult to fallow or understand. I really liked the classy and mild approach when it came to anything pertaining to the spirits. Nothing was over the top or very frightening. I also was very happy with the length of this game, I feel I certainly got my moneys worth. I hope that the company creats/releases more like this.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Mar 10, 10 9:58 PM
This game IS awesome! I started the trial when it came out and had a rough start. I purchased another game and had problems with it so gave me a credit. I read all about this game and decided to try it again. I read the walkthrough and the directions thoroughly before beginning the game and wow what a difference. It just keeps getting better and spookier and it is v e r y long. You will get your $ worth from this game for sure. This is a story you can get very wrapped up in. I need to go to bed as I have so much to do tomorrow. I just wanted to send a shout out to anyone that is on the fence about this game, it is worth the time to get going. I can hardly put this one down and can't wait till I can get back to it again. Kudos to the developer of this one. I could play games like this one forever. Thanks for a great game!

floradora
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by floradora on Mar 11, 10 3:05 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Yes its difficult in places, but that is what makes it all the more interesting and challenging. The story is great and there are a lot of places to visit and unlock. I admit to having to use the walkthrough a couple of times to get myself out of a pickle !! I have no problems in recommending this game. Enjoy..

intrestra
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by intrestra on Mar 12, 10 9:31 PM
I have just finished - I had a blast playing this game - it challenged me
and made me work hard to find all the pieces - I particularly enjoyed that it was in
chapters - which meant I could stop and get on with life and then game the next chapter when I could. The story was compelling, and never let me down so I never really took that big a break... great game and well done!

[Post New]by Robynsthe1 on Mar 12, 10 9:43 PM
I am SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

I picked up all the pieces of slate, but when I tried to put them together, in every possible combination, THEY WOULDN'T GO TOGETHER! I can't get any farther without the slate being together. Believe me, I did exactly what the walkthrough said to:
"Open one piece of slate from your inventory by right-clicking on it then left click and drag the other pieces over to combine it. Note that parts 1 and 3 will not combine without first combining part 2 with parts 1 or 3. Once combined you can see that there is a little flashing star on the slate and Roman numerals at the top."

SO NOW WHAT???!!!

[Post New]by Robynsthe1 on Mar 12, 10 9:47 PM
Oh for PETE'S SAKE!!

I just read where you have to "uninstall" and "reinstall" the game!!! Well, I didn't buy a CD. I just downloaded it from Big FIsh Games.

SO NOW WHAT??!!

This is really ticking me off.

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Mar 13, 10 9:16 AM
Robynsthe1 wrote:Oh for PETE'S SAKE!!

I just read where you have to "uninstall" and "reinstall" the game!!! Well, I didn't buy a CD. I just downloaded it from Big FIsh Games.

SO NOW WHAT??!!

This is really ticking me off.

Hi Robynsthe

I've sent you a PM. You can safely uninstall the game from your game manager and then go into your account at BF - to your purchase history - and reinstall the game. After that I can help - see my PM.

Best wishes
Karen

Ticking
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Ticking on Mar 14, 10 1:12 PM
Took me quite some time to finish this game as I was determined not to use a walkthrough.

I got badly stuck at least twice - once was when I just kept missing an item that was clearly visible and once when I stubbornly kept trying to use the wrong item thinking the game was bugged. It wasn't the game though, it was me. Was enjoying it enough that I kept wandering round til I got it right.

The only part I didn't like was the translator as I kept entering the wrong symbol when I'd nearly finished and had to start again - would have punched the person with sarcastic laugh if I could have.

aliesha78
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by aliesha78 on Mar 16, 10 4:29 AM
well i certainly have found a challenge in this game! Downloaded the trial and already looking for the blastered lighter to light the fire! dont tell. once ive finished downloading the full version, im hoping its in a room i couldnt enter! lol hmmmm this game i can see will fustrate me but looks like a great game! normally play the hidden object games but to this one!

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Really crappy navigation

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Mar 17, 10 9:01 PM
This game looked so promising, until I started playing it. The navigation is just dreadful...half of the time, trying to click to move opens notes or journals or some other foolishness. I found myself gritting my teeth and cursing under my breath most of the time. It seems to me that navigation has always been a weak point with this type game...lots of wasted time trying to figure out HOW to get around the stupid couch to turn off the unbelievably annoying beep of the answering machine...turning in circles trying to figure out if there is anything else in the scene I should be looking at, all the while opening and closing things at the top and bottom of the screen. Truth is, I always WANT to like these games a lot more than I do...I have several that I purchased but never finished because of the very high irritation factor. Add in the "you can explore this area when you buy the game" notice (over and over and over) and I just couldn't take it anymore...4 out of 10 stars

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Mar 22, 10 12:49 PM
zed3 wrote:Love this game but could do with some interaction with the main character - what she's thinking, planning next steps etc. On the whole though a really good game that keeps you engaged and thinking. One slight irritation is the linear nature of the game. It would be better if you could follow your instincts more and keep things you've found to use.

I agree with you. It really helps the game to flow smoother when there is self talk from the main character. The game is great but I did need more help from the walk through with this one than with other LGs.
There are printable walkthroughs with out a lot of pictures on the web through a Google search.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Mar 22, 10 1:41 PM
Had some scary moments....the end was a bit of a disappointment for me but the biggest draw back was the extremely slow load and save time involved which was a detriment to overall game play.

It's pretty good, and with a little more effort it could have been great. However, I'd still recommend it to those with patience who like adventure games.

uniphin
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by uniphin on Mar 25, 10 10:26 AM
What a great game, great story line, great graphics, game similar to nancy drew but no interaction of character, took days to complete, well worth the money, needed the walkthrough a few times, more like this please

shadowsong
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by shadowsong on Apr 1, 10 7:40 PM
This is a great game. I am really getting tired of hidden object games, so this one was very refreshing. I want more of the same. This, Dire Grove and Return to Ravenhearst have been my favorites. I did resort to the walk through a few times, and it is a really good walk through. I like that it gives us hints before it comes out and enumerates what we are supposed to do next. Then you can still have that element of trying to figure it out, but not being quite so frustrated.

This is my favorite genre of game, and this is a good example of this type of game. The story was intriguing, the graphics were great and the sound design was very good.
SPOILER -
The fan needs a sound to it, though. I would have never thought of it, had to get that clue from the walk through.

I also agree that the menus could be improved, it did get a little annoying when they kept popping out as I was trying to search the top or bottom of each frame.
This probably took me around 10 hours to get through - which is perfect, I think. I don't want a game that will take over my life for weeks at a time, but I do want a game that I can get into over the course of a few days.
Can't wait for the next one! Great Job!

[Post New]by Dragonfish89 on Apr 3, 10 5:00 PM
kazkaz1957 wrote:
magicalnat wrote:Can I have a little help on this game please, if anyone can...I am on Chapter Two and am trying to combine the 3 stones together, but every time I right click in inventory it does nothing, I've also try combining by left clicking, still nothing...I have repeated this part 4 times now, just in case I missed something, still nothing...get rather frustrated....thank you

Hi Magicalnat

Sorry you're having problems with Rhiannon. The combining of the slates seems to be a stumbling block for some players as if there is something wrong with the original download. It seems to correct itself if you uninstall and reinstall the game but you must not, under any circumstances, use any save you have already created. This means you'll need to start the game again which I know is very frustrating but is the only way to get rid of the glitch.

There is some further information on the technical thread of this forum. If you send me a PM I may be able to help further.
Best wishes
Karen

Go to: