samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for Escape from Lost Island

[Post New]by samwise50 on Feb 26, 10 11:43 AM
It reminds me when patents expire. Sometimes, it ends up with low quality substitution. Treasure Seekers came up with this unique interface of looking inside an object and dropping what belongs to it into the circle, besides the very high graphic quality and story values. Unfortunately Escape from Lost Island is IMHO a poor imitation.

Stereotypical cliches much???

[Post New]by BethThomlinson on Feb 26, 10 12:24 PM
sphinxvictorian wrote: My main problem, though, was the complete stereotypical cliched nature of the plot. Okay, guys? This isn't the 1930's in Hollywood. The game is set in contemporary times, so why, when the girl is shipwrecked, does she immediately get attacked by cannibalistic natives? And why does she feel the need to point out that the chief looks white? We're in the 21st century, haven't we gotten past the need to portray island natives as completely evil?

Sphinxyvic

I agree about the cliched plot, but I don't think she was saying that the chief looked white. I think the chief is white. There is a torn-up picture with an Oscar winner, and there are hidden Oscar statues in the house. But I kept expecting an explanation for that, and there was none.

Very funny as Syrenia pointed out that she felt she had to put out the fire on the sinking ship before she could leave.

And I agree with the comments about the music. Lose it!

On the positive side, the items were not placed in physically impossible places, as some games do. That's a pet peeve of mine, and I won't buy games that do that.

If you like Treasure Seekers and want a similar game, this is a good one. I got through the first 3 levels playing slowly without hints in the free hour. It probably took me another 2 hours to finish.

My total rating is still a

Beth

[Post New]by greatgem on Feb 26, 10 7:50 PM
The pauses between scenes put me off this game. The concept was good but it certainly has some flaws. By the time the trial hour was over I had given up. At one time it took so long to move I thought the whole thing had frozen..

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Feb 27, 10 8:24 AM
Like the graphics, the pieces are findable, I like jigsaw puzzles. I always turn down the music so no comment on that.
But I have 7 unfinished games that somehow are more interesting to me. So I think I will catch up on the games I have and save this for a dry spell. There will come a time when I am caught up with my purchased games and BFG has no H O G s available. Then I'll come back for this one.

Edited on 02/27/2010 at 8:25:10 AM PST

[Post New]by tbc102304 on Feb 27, 10 9:16 AM
not able to pick up objects.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Escape from zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[Post New]by Mistickel on Feb 27, 10 4:07 PM
GoddessOdd wrote:Not much for me here. Bland graphics and elevator music. The designers phoned this one in. Stock graphics and free library music. I think I made it thru about 15 minutes before deciding that there were far better ways to spend an hour...tax preparation for one.

I am not a fan of the association style HOG. That is, you click on a item, a halo of other items opens, you find all of them (it's not enough that you find them, you have to physically drag them over and place them in the halo) , then another halo opens, find and place those objects...lather rinse repeat. By the time you have reached the last halo in the level, you can finish in seconds because you found all those items while you were searching for the first ones. Give me a straight up HOG anyday, I will look for ALL the items at once, and not have to bother dragging stuff around the scene.

Graphics are murky, I found the font difficult to read, being a somewhat ornate gold style on a white background, but it was better when I turned out all the ambient lighting. A great many of the HOs were either lying underneath a halo or clumped down at the bottom of the screen, where, inexplicably the designer dumped lots of clutter producing iconography...never used it, just looked over, under and around it.

The music actually detracted from the game. Imagine a lost island where you are compelled to listen to the worst dentist office waiting room music you can imagine...I couldn't lose the music without muting my PC, and since I wasn't having much fun anyway, decided just to skip it altogether. 3 of 10 stars.

LOL you covered everything I just came here to post. I will add that it's not enjoyable when some objects are so tiny you need a magnifying glass to find them. Im passing on this one!

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Feb 27, 10 4:31 PM
I'm feeling kind of hard to please after playing 2 demos and hating both lol..the music is squealy & hard to take. Graphics fuzzy & storyline boring. ONLY my opinion but I definitely will not buy this let alone finish the demo.

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Feb 27, 10 10:25 PM
I have a problem about reading the text it disappear before I can read it. So I missed a lot in the story. English is not my native language as you can see. Also the pipeline mini puzzle the time is running out before I even understand what to do Some of the objects are very hard to find. This game is not for me I think.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 28, 10 12:21 AM
Imagine a lost island where you are compelled to listen to the worst dentist office waiting room music you can imagine

ROFLMAO HA HA HA That is THE perfect way to describe it! Much better than my thought of Soporific Jazz in the Key of E any day of the wk. This is supposed to a a danger-filled adventure quest & this is the best they could do?

I was never of fan of the Treasure Seekers-like circle popups but these particularly annoyed me b/c for one, the HOs in the circles quite often failed to much resemble the actual item you had to pick up, how many useless caribiners does this chick need, you are so kidding if you expect me to sit here in the dark in the jungle & click on every single palm frond, & when there were multiples of items to go in, why couldn't they just pop into any circle instead of specifically designated ones? A wick is a wick is a wick. Graphix were OK, but unnecessarily dark, & I didn't think there was a new way to torment me w/ wires & pipes, but they found some. There seemed to be no random click penalty & the hint & skip had decent reloading time, not fast but not waiting 4ever on it. And I really think I'm burnt out on the intrepid adventure girl in the jungle theme. Tho I thought she was a boy until she got blown out of the lifeboat & saw she had what appeared to be bosom dents on her shirt LOL I was also unamused w/ how long it took her to turn those pgs & get on w/ the story already. Custom cursor was also a bit slow, but there was an option to disable. That swinging the grappling hook thing was kind of ridiculous & hard to get the hang of; sometimes it would spin like Xena was plying it & other times the same amt of mouse-holding made it collapse like a limp noodle. Shooting parrots to keep em out of her food....what food, she hadn't found any yet what w/ all those caribiners, & tho she was collecting & using stuff she never seemed to be carrying anything. I think maybe kids might like this if they could get past the dark screen, but meh for adults IMHO.

[Post New]by tamsan5555 on Feb 28, 10 12:40 PM
I really enjoy this game. It is a HOG, but not a junk pile HOG. I have to find objects that make sense in the game, not a bunny, or a globe, or a sun dial. And the minigames are fun, too. A bit frustrating with the parrots, but, hey, it's a game. A great way to while away a Sunday afternoon. Great job!!!!!

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Feb 28, 10 7:42 PM
Personally, I wasn't impressed. The graphics were okay and just okay, not great or impressive. I found that a lot of the objects were very hard to see and find, especially when it was night time. I had to use the hints a lot in the darker areas. The music is horrendous! Eeek! And I turned it down as far as it would go too. It amazed me how she managed to escape the natives, considering she was supposed to be tied up each time they caught her. Not my cup of tea either. I don't mind straight HOGs when the items you need to find are in beautifully designed graphics and easy on the eyes. This one wasn't all that easy on the eyes. Gets a from me.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Mar 1, 10 7:41 AM
Boring
Horrible graphics and the lighting makes it very difficult to see.

If you don't mind straining your eyes for hours, then this is the game for you.

pobs
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by pobs on Mar 2, 10 10:10 AM
is anyone having trouble controlling the cursor

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Mar 4, 10 8:36 PM
I've been quite enjoying this game - been playing off and on for several days, still have 2 levels left. Been taking my time, enjoying the story - the music could have been better, had to turn it right down as it was getting to be a bit annoying and repetitious. I have found, however, that even though the scenes are not inundated with piles of "objects", some items were quite hard to find - either quite small or too well "blended" into the scenery which makes it very difficult to spot them (especially when one is older !! and uses both contact lenses and reading glasses !!

But, be that as it may, I have enjoyed playing this game and it has given me hours (if not days !) of playing.

No problems, no glitches - game runs really well on my HP laptop with Vista Home Edition.

ckub
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by ckub on Mar 5, 10 8:24 PM
I found this game to be very boring. A silly plot, with very silly mini games, "escape from lost island " just didn't make sense to me. I've purchased approximately 20 adventure/ hidden object games from big fish, and this is one game club credit I wish I could have back. I guess I've been spoiled by the mystery case files games. This game is unchallenging, and the background music is downright annoying. Oh well, maybe I'll choose more wisely next time.

Edited on 03/05/2010 at 8:27:05 PM PST

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on Mar 5, 10 9:09 PM
Wow I have never seen so many different opinions on game length. Some say 2 hrs, some have been playing for days & days, and I usually judge my decision on game length. But 2 hours doesn't cut it for me. I usally can go to the forum and find out an idea on game length, but I'm confused this time lol Maybe I should have checked for a walkthrough and checked that out before posting, still waiting for a REAL good game to come out!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Mar 5, 10 9:22 PM
Puppycake, try Vampire Saga: Pandora's Box. It's very long, challenging without being impossible, and a good plot. Really good!

[Post New]by skippy_tramp on Mar 6, 10 3:27 PM
I though it was cutet but notto hard it was not like Syberia I & II

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Mar 7, 10 10:48 AM
waste of money

[Post New]by khlrkat on Mar 8, 10 11:11 AM
I THINK I WOULD LIKE THIS GAME, IF IT DID NOT STICK ALL THE TIME . IT TAKES ABOUT 15 MIN, TO DO ANY THING, PLAY 10 MIN THEN IS GET STUCK AGAIN , OUT OF A HR FREE PLAY I ONLY GOT TO PLAY ABOUT 25 MIN. I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IT BUT I AM NOT GOING TO PAY FOR IT IF YOU CAN NOT PLAY IT THANK YOU KATHY

Go to: