sackese
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Occultus: Mediterranean Cabal here.

[Post New]by sackese on Aug 7, 16 12:55 AM
I liked the game, but I thought the interface was horrible. In some puzzles it wasn't at all clear what you had to do, you tried to put objects in the logical way the instructions pointed out, and ended just bypassing the puzzle, obliterating the puzzle challenge pleasure.

Other things I didn't like was that you had eg. to put the screwdriver tip exactly on the screw, and items used several times on the screen jumped back to the inventory bar (the screwdriver as an example). I mean, what's the meaning in frustrating players with such stupid things?

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Occultus: Mediterranean Cabal here.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Aug 21, 16 5:50 AM
Based on completed game

Wow. I thought this game was fantastic! Took me completely by surprise and I just loved it.

This game plays a lot like an adventure game with lots of puzzles and some HOPs. The game world starts small & grows quite large. There is a jump map and a skip for the cave corridors. The inventory runneth over with items. You will pick up some things you won't use for hours and hours. Old school adventure patient gaming is required.

Yes, I said hours and hours. If you take the challenge and don't hint/skip through it unless completely necessary (pulled hair is lying on the floor), this game is incredibly long. Some puzzles are easy and some are quite challenging. The adventure aspect is also more difficult than most casual games. And there is a maze without a map! You get chalk to mark the walls. It's not a huge maze, but enough so that I was happy for the chalk.

There is a lovely journal that keeps track of clues and provides insight as to what you are experiencing with the story.

Now, no game is perfect. If I waited for a game that gave me everything, then I'd never play. So here are the things to watch for. If they are deal breakers, then this game will not make you happy.

Difficulty Level: Cannot be changed. I chose hardest to avoid 90 sec sparkles. Much later in the game when I could not skip any puzzles, I was hurting at some points but made it through. Think about it when you choose, for again, this is a long, game to have change your mind about later.

Cursor: Yes, drag & drop. Just like Forgotten Places: Regained Castle here on BFG. If you played that one and liked it, you will most likely like this one. If this doesn't thrill you, I would say, it doesn't thrill anyone. But the challenge level is such a bar higher than most HOPAs and this game is fun! I got used to it. Awkward and then natural.

One thing about interaction: Sometimes you place objects when you see the gears over the area. Sometimes it is object end to place to fit, e.g. end of key in keyhole. If one doesn't work, try the other. Non-working choices will always give you a message at top of screen. If you don't see one, it means the game didn't recognize the action.

Voiceovers: Not the best, but there aren't a lot of them. Sounded to me like a machine rather than actors. Indie games. They don't have the cash.

If you want more challenge in your games, I highly recommend giving this one a go.

[Post New]by yellowflat on Aug 24, 16 9:19 AM
Totally agree Bartsister, I did not see this review in the main game page, are you going to post it there aswell?.
I did not write one my self but it could be quite the same as yours.

JulietteW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING

[Post New]by JulietteW on Oct 10, 16 3:25 PM
kandinsky wrote:This game will not please every player but I find it very wonderful and very different. We all complain of the sameness and cookie-cutter quality of games, well here is one that is indeed different.
It is set in Palermo by a studio based in Palermo and the scenes are authentic and uncompromisingly Italian. The hidden objects pose a different kind of challenge than we are used to, they are often small, you may need to use the good hint system rather often as I have but somehow given the different nature of the objects and placements with still a pleasure in finding the ones that I do find.
The viewpoint character is drawn into the mystery of the fate of his (pleasing for a change to play a male role) grandfather. The story is in the occult but somehow ,whether because of the setting or the way it is developed, I do not feel that numbing certainty about what comes next that I do with so many games.
Having shared this to encourage you to join me in this game, I will go back to the door at the end of a secret corridor where I will press on with an unexpected pleasure in gameplay such as I remember from when I first began to play these games.
I think of another Italian made game I loved and reviewed on sale page; Black Viper Sophia's Fate which however is even more challenging to players so check it out and yet dont hesitate if drawn to it.
But this one , Mediterranian Cabal, should find many, not all, players who would enjoy it.
anyway these thoughts...

I am really drawn to this game, to the style, the different feel to it, etc. It is a bit difficult for me to see everything and I find myself using the hint button a lot. I'm in the trial and have played with buying it, but - I dont' know if it will frustrate me more than fascinate. I want to see what happens next, I want to learn more!!!

Hmm.

JRDALLAS
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by JRDALLAS on Oct 18, 16 11:25 AM
Save your money, terrible game.

Go to: