hookt
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for Dracula Origin!

[Post New]by hookt on May 31, 10 10:42 AM
Dracula Origin is the first large file adventure game I have bought and played from BFG. I usually play the hidden object games that have some puzzles and a little adventure mixed in. There is no trial version, but I went ahead and bought this game anyway because I was curious, and mostly, because I like Dracula stuff.

I found the graphics in the scenes to be exceptional. This is a beautiful game to look at and a lot of work went into it. The storyline is good and keeps you wanting to go further. A brief tutorial at the beginning of the game would have been nice to show how the inventory worked, exiting to the main menu, saving the game, etc. Somewhere in this forum I came across the tip to hit the space bar when first entering a scene to show all the "hotspots", and hitting the Escape key to get back to the main menu. These tips were extremely helpful throughout the game. I found most of the puzzles to be very difficult and kept going back to the walkthroughs and this forum to help me finish the game.

Overall, I like this game and enjoyed playing it. It's worth the money and gives you many hours of game play. I will definitely play it again. Happy gaming.

VelvetRose55
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by VelvetRose55 on Jun 1, 10 2:33 PM
After reading these reviews I thought I wasn't playing the same game as the rest of you.

I can't get past the first room. I got stuck trying to glue the pieces of paper together. I never found the last piece, if there was one and my glue, tape and scissors kept disappearing. Each time I started the game it started from the very beginning and did not save.

I gave up on it.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 1, 10 2:40 PM
VelvetRose, I think you are right and you're playing a completely different game.
The first room has a map behind a curtain. You have to read four magazine articles and use a red pencil to join from - to, then click on a location.

I wonder if VelvetRose is playing a Nostradamus game.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/1506.page

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 1:27:40 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 25, 10 4:13 AM
absolutely brilliant - I loved this game.

A lot of different and unique puzzles, really quite long, and you aren't allowed to leave an area if you need to pick up an item. For clues in a scene just hit the space bar to see 'hot spots'.

I wish there was an option to turn off the music without turning off the voices. It isn't a 360 spinner game (good) but you do have to make sure you hit every footprints - easy to miss some scenes (but the space bar helps you out with this)

Really recommend this game.

VelvetRose55
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by VelvetRose55 on Jun 25, 10 6:22 AM
A warning to the squeamish.

I liked this game very much at first, but the closer I get to the end the bloodier and gorier it gets. It's grossing me out right now, but I want to finish it.

I had to find a walkthrough to do some of the puzzles. I would have NEVER though of some of the solutions.

I love the graphics and the sound track. I also like the fact that you really can't make a mistake. If Van Helsing doesn't want to go take a certain action he won't.

As for the technical end, the game loads and saves quickly. I just finished playing another game that took minutes to save and load. This Dracula game is bigger, but has a more efficient engine.

I think the graphic of Dracula lying on the couch is the silliest thing I have ever seen. I think it was meant to be a joke.

Edited on 06/25/2010 at 6:33:57 AM PST

[Post New]by cherryjam on Jun 30, 10 2:31 PM
this was great really en joyed it a few tough things but was great when you got a eureka moment and worked it out

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 18, 10 3:31 PM
Definitely on my top 10 list of Best Games ever.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jul 27, 10 4:20 PM
Hi there everybody!

I loved this game, although I was frustrated at first on how to play. Look Ma! No instructions!

Once I figured out that you can drag inventory into other inventory boxes to assemble tools, things went much easier.

Some tips:

If the cursor turns into an eyeball, it's something to be observed. If it turns into a hand, that means you can either pick it up to put into your inventory, or use an inventory item on it - if you have the inventory item that is.

If you've tried to combine every inventory item with every other item, and you've tried all of those on the hand cursor item...well, you've missed something.

Run your cursor over EVERYTHING and pay attention. Some of the items are very small and easy to miss.

Talk to everyone you can - multiple times.

Don't feel bad if you have to use the walk through on some of the puzzles. There aren't any instructions and some of them are HARD.

Anyway, I loved the graphics, and the voices didn't bug me. Very gory and disgusting in parts.

He is the slowest walker in history for someone who's supposed to be in a hurry. If you double click on where you want to go, sometimes you can jump to it so that you don't go insane. LOL

I would recommend this game to people who like a long, horror adventure.

Happy gaming!!

[Post New]by cl1960 on Aug 5, 10 5:00 PM
I know everyone LOVES this game but I can't get past the beginning...it must be me! I will never purchase a large file game again...especially if I have to have to buy a strategy guide to get though it...(at an additional $9.99) Forget it----Not saying it is a bad game just saying I have learned my lession on these types of games.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Oct 17, 10 11:44 AM
This is definitely one of my favorite LFG. I enjoyed playing this game very much.

Anne3624
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Anne3624 on Oct 29, 10 10:37 PM
Okay, I have played quite a few games here at Big Fish Games....and think I have it pretty much down when it comes to the tough ones...but does this game take a "genious" to get through? if so, its not for me. I like challenge, just not one that takes me 24 hours, 7 days a week to figure out.....I love good graphics, music, and plot....but don't make it so hard that I have to refer to a strategy guide for each and every move....

[Post New]by toebuddy on Oct 31, 10 6:44 PM
I HATE IT !!!! IT WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF MY MONEY!!! There's no instructions. I couldn't get past the first page !!!

Edited on 10/31/2010 at 6:47:06 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 4, 10 12:48 PM
This game is a lot of fun but without the walk through I would still be in the first 10 min. As it is I am stuck right now with the walk through and am taking a break because it made me so angry. If I can get passed this part I would say I love this game I needed it to be really good to justify the HUUUGH download. I hope I can get through this problem. It really does have great graphics and after playing Sherlock V. Arsene I do not want to try another 360 for a while. This is much easier to deal with. All in all I would probably do it again evn if it does make me feel like a dimwit!

Robwood
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by Robwood on Nov 6, 10 12:41 PM
Bad game. First off, the name's misleading. If you're only interested in Dracula's origin, then you can quit the game after reading Dracula's rather lengthy book...provided you can get the damn thing open, of course.

Secondly, the puzzles, as someone mentioned earlier, aren't hard because they're tough to figure out--they're hard because the game doesn't know how to give you enough clues to figure them out. Like Dracula's book, for example. You have to mysteriously know how to work the thing just to get it open. The game doesn't tell you anything other than an overtly vague clue (a book page with Dracula's book cover illustrated), which tells you nothing of the steps you need to take to solve that puzzle. How do you make the words show up? Which jewel is supposed to go in which slot? The game doesn't tell you--you need sheer dumb luck to get it. So if you can't figure some of the puzzles out, don't feel stupid--call the game designers stupid. Do yourself a favor: before you even play the game, find a walkthrough and then print it out so that way you'll save yourself the headache of minimizing the game all the time.

Thirdly, the sensitive spots on objects are too small. For example, you have to make your own key at one point by filing down some wooden poles. Good luck finding just the right spot to place the file! The game is very picky about where you click, and not just in this trial alone. Don't bother clicking everywhere, just hit the spacebar every screen and save yourself a lot of grief. This game isn't worth you trying to figure out what to click on. Another point that's bad with sensitivity is the map at the beginning of the game. You have to draw lines on it showing all the fleeing paths the stranger took in all the news articles you collected. But it's not good enough that you draw the line from one point to another--no, you MUST start with the beginning and you MUST end with the destination. Drawing from destination to start won't work.

Finally, I wish I had bought this game from Big Fish instead of right off the shelf, because this game is a ripoff. I don't mind being ripped off for $7, but for $30? GAH!

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 12:43:42 PM PST

Terry200
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Terry200 on Nov 19, 10 5:59 PM
This was one of the best games ever and long. i just completed it. It took me a week and I spent 2 days fiquring out how to exit the game without shutting down my computer. After that smooth sailing until the puzzle at Turks gate. Everyone should purchase this game and it didn't cost like the CE's. Wow! I want more of these types of games. Worth every penny.

[Post New]by Sangretta on Nov 21, 10 11:01 AM
Everyone,

I have to agree with a few others; this game is a mess! The graphics are great, but I'm still in the first room too and since there are absolutely no instructions and you are asked to purchase the game guide in addition to the game; that sucks! Besides which if you're going to have a game this large, it seems it would have been considerate for BigFish to include the strategy guide with the game as they did in Reincarnation (collectors addition); it certainly would have helped.

It was a waste of time and money!

Sangretta

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 11:02:05 AM PST

VanRonk
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by VanRonk on Dec 9, 10 4:17 AM
This is a fantastic game that held my attention for 2-3 weeks. On the road to "nailing" Dracula there are plenty of other adventures and puzzles keeping your brain very active - if not frazzled!

Other posters have discussed the game in greater depth so let me just repeat what a great game this was. Worth every penny.

5 Star RPG along with Syberia, Syberia II, Art of Murder:FBI Confidential & Art of Murder:Hunt for the Puppeteer.

PM me if you have any other recommendations please

Enjoy!

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Apr 2, 11 9:48 PM
Absolutely a great game after I got it working correctly. I had some trouble with the graphics to begin with -- screens flashing the wrong colors. I tried to get that corrected, but there were no characters in the scenes. I actually played until I got to the cemetery without any characters showing. Thought that was the way the game was designed. I shut down and restarted the game and set the graphics to default. Boy, was I surprised to see my character appear as well as the gravedigger. Before there was just a voice coming from the grave and dirt flying around. It was much better being able to see my Professor. So now I will accept the default graphics setting instead of choosing my own.

This was a superb adventure game. I really liked the puzzles in it even though some were hard and not really logical to me. The Universal Hints helped me in those really frustrating places, but I didn't need to use them a lot. That's what made the game so enjoyable, I could figure out most of it on my own.

Dialogue was not so long as to detract from gameplay. The story moved along nicely. Traveling to the different countries was fun and a real adventure.

Thanks for a great game with truly challenging puzzles.

marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by marachat on Apr 15, 11 4:29 PM
This is one of my favourite games though it was really hard at times. I loved the graphics, the length and the story - the only big minus was the difficulty level. A bit more hints or helps would have made this a 5/5 game, but for now it's only a 4,5/5. I hope a similar game with another intriguing story will come soon!

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Apr 15, 11 4:37 PM
Thanks for your comments marachat!

They are very timely because I'm considering buying this game this weekend.

I've only played Syberia so I am concerned I do not have enough experience to play this yet.

Thanks again

Go to: