Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Hidden Identity: Chicago Blackout

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 3, 10 8:36 AM
Very boring game. The graphic is not good. I will skip this one. No buy.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 3, 10 8:51 AM
phatkhat wrote:
I get it ..But honestly unless they come to BF first , they usually aren't worth playing much less buying ..If I see a game at another site that i haven't seen here , it's usually a dud ..I know I complain ..sometimes ..(smile)...But when I go this long without a new game ...I get a little cranky ..You understand ..don't you.. ..

A lot of good games go elsewhere first - or don't come here at all. Inquisitor is a pretty good game, off the top of my head. But, you did say usually.

Well, for me, three days, three duds. Even the DDs. But that means Mudrock's 3 games have to come out in the next 4 days, right? Couple of those sounded very interesting. I looked at the trailer for one that looks extremely good!

So... C'mon over to the Pub, OldBay. Have a or two, and chat about games no one else is talking about. [/quote

Just give me the directions & I'll be there .

buddhabme
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by buddhabme on Mar 3, 10 9:02 AM
I really don't get why this game is being slammed so hard here when Steve the Sherriff is apparently so popular around here. This game was fun, the mini-puzzles were a little different and not impossible, the graphics good and the twisted clues are great. Yet so many posts saying "boring" - how is this more boring than Steve the Sherriff a game that I think is pretty similiar in terms of being a light-weight yet amusing game?

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Mar 3, 10 9:17 AM
Couldn't find much of a story to follow. This just seemed like a HOG mess. I think the game makers took a bunch of ideas, threw them at a wall, then went with whatever stuck.

I guess it's good that not all the games are wondrful, because if they were I wouldn't have any money left.

[Post New]by purpleladyljr on Mar 3, 10 9:27 AM
I must say I enjoyed the demo. My main complaint was the "frozen" time lapse between each scene. Probably won't purchase unless it shows up as a DD. Then I wouldn't mind finding out how it all ends.

[Post New]by petlady on Mar 3, 10 9:37 AM
Has anybody had trouble getting out of or finishing the putting together of the shredded note? None of the pieces stay where I put them, especially if I try to move another. They go back to where they started. It's very frustrating, and there is no way to skip the darn thing or even get out of there and progress with the game.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Mar 3, 10 10:03 AM
buddhabme wrote:I really don't get why this game is being slammed so hard here when Steve the Sherriff is apparently so popular around here. This game was fun, the mini-puzzles were a little different and not impossible, the graphics good and the twisted clues are great. Yet so many posts saying "boring" - how is this more boring than Steve the Sherriff a game that I think is pretty similiar in terms of being a light-weight yet amusing game?

I agree with you. With all the "slamming" I wasn't going to try it. But, I'm glad I did.

My Likes: The first thing that got my attention was the list of objects to find. I've only played 30 minutes of the game and during that time, each scene required you to place something. And what to place was not always easy to figure out. So this gives you some challenge. The second thing I liked was that each scene mentioned something that you had to figure out. For example, "fore," Was this the golf ball or the golf club? The objects are also reasonably challenging to find. for creativity in this area. The other thing that I found amusing was the "notes." They ask questions that we've been asking ourselves, like "why put a pretzel in the ceiling?" All in all, the graphics were OK.

My Not Like So Much: The mini-games do not have a skip option and the instructions could be better. You do not have a relaxed/time option. However, this was OK for me. You have plenty of time -- 30 minutes.

Bottomline: I give this game my approval and my purchase. Off to purchase now!

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 10:04:30 AM PST

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by auntann11 on Mar 3, 10 10:08 AM
OLDBAY wrote:I get it ..But honestly unless they come to BF first , they usually aren't worth playing much less buying ..If I see a game at another site that i haven't seen here , it's usually a dud ..I know I complain ..sometimes ..(smile)...But when I go this long without a new game ...I get a little cranky ..You understand ..don't you.. ..

I totally understand and empathize with you. I also appreciate that while you may often be disappointed, you never turn that disappointment towards other members. Hope your hunt for something spectacular is successful very soon and very often, but please don't hold your breath.

This may not be a super game but I did laugh and scowl as I tried to figure out just what the heck they were hinting at. Never even noticed there was a timer and don't know about the hints. The minis at least were different even though very easy.

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Mar 3, 10 10:53 AM
Not a bad game, just boring. Same old, same old. I guess after playing Puppetville and Nightfall this kind of game just doesn't work for me. I also really like Mortimer Beckett and Campfire Mysteries, which I had never heard of, until I read about them here. Thanks fellow gamers!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 3, 10 10:55 AM
It's been 13 days for me , that might be a new record ..for me anyway ..&.... I'm not BRAGGING !!!!

[Post New]by antannie on Mar 3, 10 11:47 AM
I won't even try the demo. The last time I played a PopCap game I got a nasty virus. Thanks for the warning that it is from PopCap.

[Post New]by snowflakesh on Mar 3, 10 12:09 PM
Very basic HOG game but very boring. I won't be buying this one.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 3, 10 12:51 PM
Played it at "the other" site and liked it. BUT, cannot afford their prices.
I only buy at BF for $$ reasons and am more than happy when they aquire
a game I liked elsewhere. Wish they could get Mortimer Beckett, but have
heard that will not happen. Oh well, maybe if I win the lottery!

Yes, agree with a lot of the other fishies, kind of simple, not too hard, but
very relaxing. Sometimes, that's all I ask of a game: entertain me.
Didn't have a problem understanding "swish", but after reading some posts here, can understand problem if you are not American. Like that the lists are not just lists, but require some thought. Will usually NOT buy any timed only games, but
the fishies have assured me that it is a consistent timer, so maybe will bend
that rule. The only other concern is the "no skip" mini games. Sometimes I just
go into senior moment mode and cannot get it. Wish developers would
give us the option! Putting this on my wish list and will probably buy and hope
no senior moments on minis.

I see two of my favorite posters; phatkhat and oldbay are meeting at the pub.
Sounds like fun. Can this old lady come, too?

sammybean
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by sammybean on Mar 3, 10 12:59 PM
Could you please tell me which site is SWave? Thanks

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Mar 3, 10 1:32 PM
I don't get the very negative reviews either. I think it is funny, cheerful and the graphics are nice. NOT grainy, No items invisibly placed in the dark. The timer did not matter as it is so long. The no skip on the puzzles is not a good thing on any game. I played the hour and did NOT repeat a room. Amazing! lol there have been so many games where you go back to the same area over and over. That is boring.
I had no technical issue and liked the "feel" with the curser. (some games are really annoying with wandering cursers or slow cursers).

Also I liked that you clicked on an item and it went off the list! Lately some games you have to pixel hunt on the object to find just the right place it will work.

I was having fun until I read these reviews.

I do wish I knew how long it was though. If you are on the fence, at least base your opinion on trying the game and not the reviews.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 3, 10 1:46 PM
sammybean wrote:Could you please tell me which site is SWave? Thanks

They probably meant Swave. I was a bad fishie and forgot the rules when I spelled out the full name. I have sent you a PM with the info.
Joyce

Edited on 03/04/2010 at 6:26:02 AM PST

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Mar 3, 10 3:11 PM
Hi fishies,

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that as per our FAQ and General Rules we don't post the names of our competitors as it is a form of advertisement.

You can use abbreviations or private messages to discuss them.

Thanks!

bfgTigris

sammybean
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by sammybean on Mar 3, 10 3:37 PM
Of course! Thanks so much

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Mar 3, 10 3:37 PM
I guess I'm easy to please - I liked the demo and will probably buy. No, it wasn't RTR or Sweeney Todd - but as was mentioned above, it's entertaining, relaxing, and enjoyable. No tough mini games. I like that it tells you what you've found as it removes it - sometimes I'm not quite sure! I did have some technical problems as the game wore on - extended pauses - so for that reason alone may not buy. One thing I've always said about Big Fish is you can be sure of the quality of the downloads. I've tried other sites and had major problems. You can get the games other places, but buyer beware! It's something I've recently gotten on BF for too - never had problems until they started the "A new game every day". That said, I'm totally loyal to BF!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Mar 3, 10 4:21 PM
Scarlet, in case you're interested in giving it another try, the cigarette goes on the "no smoking" sign at upper left. My problem was just the opposite. I noticed the unfinished sign right away, and then couldn't find the cigarette! Yes, big as a house and I missed it.

LOL @ the big as a house b/c it sure was! I tried plonking it into the big blue ashtray on the front seat, then thunk maybe it goes w/ the cigar, or in my purse....who knew it was an unfinished sign? TYVM

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 4:22:23 PM PST

Go to: