Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bourbongal on Mar 11, 10 5:52 AM
I can't get this game to download. I've tried several times to no avail. So frustrating!

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Mar 11, 10 6:04 AM
It looks good at first glance - up to Ch4 at end of demo, but I'm a bit worried that too much of the file space is taken up with attractive scenes with comparatively little to do; puzzles so far are fairly simple, and there's a lot of going to and fro to perform tasks. I'm not sure I'd want to pay the extra money just for a guide and an extra scene.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Mar 11, 10 6:06 AM
Have reached Chapter 3. Love it! Items fairly easy to find, but not too easy. Minigames good so far. Graphics are excellent. No problems downloading or playing.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Mar 11, 10 6:24 AM
I didn't have any problems downloading or playing this game.
I'm so glad that BF finally put out an adventure that I couldn't wait buy.

You start out watching the 'real' story of sleeping beauty ( with a voice over thank God).
Then you see your character holding a tape recorder telling you about an old castle that is covered in a strange rose vine that will cover the entire city in seven days if you don't find the source and stop it. It seems like a normal adventure game with puzzles and **** mixed in.

I bought it pretty fast, but it's turned out to be a little disappointing because it's pretty easy and there isn't an adventure mode that you can upgrade to.
One cool thing is if you do get stuck you don't have to quit to access the strategy guide.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 11, 10 6:28 AM
any ideas on length

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 11, 10 6:35 AM
I guess if you are fast then you do 5 chapters in the demo hour, if slow you do 3. There are 14 in total, plus three bonus chapters.

Edited on 03/11/2010 at 9:05:10 AM PST

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Mar 11, 10 6:56 AM
I'm downloading now. From the reviews, it sounds great. I'm going in to try it out.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Mar 11, 10 8:00 AM
Hooray!! I've now managed to get the game downloaded. Thanks BF for putting this right so quickly.

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Mar 11, 10 8:01 AM
Okay, I played into Chapter 2 and it's a buy for me. This game is cool. The graphics are great and I like finding objects that are in pieces. Especially like that you have to use the objects you find. The puzzles are just right, not to hard but not so easy that you feel like your playing a childs game.
Now I still have to find games to buy with my 2 punchcard credits. Oh well, I'm sure will solve that problem for me

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 11, 10 8:01 AM
Well I saw the 4 in 1 door puzzle where you had to move the horse along and I just had to buy it as i reminded me of Ravenhearst's doors and I thought this is going to be a great game.

Like Govegril I like the puzzles that I have come across so far . I am up to Chapter 8 and I have been playing for about 2.1/2 hours to 3 hours ish but I have not been rushing it because I do not want the game to end just yet as I am having fun and so I am avoiding using any hints.

I do find the graphics to be a little bit dark BUT if you study the shape of the pieces that you are looking for and then pay close attention to the screen it is possible to make out even the smallest ones and I have found all the pieces so far, touch wood I continue to do so .

This is one of the few games where I have actually played with my speakers switched on as I found the music to be quite pleasant and not at all irritating.

C

Saturnmiss
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Saturnmiss on Mar 11, 10 8:07 AM
Don't want to sound ugly but i'm getting a little tired of the complaints about the CE additions of the games. First just don't buy them then. Second they always come out as a regular game soon afterward, Third you're not waiting on anything if you do wait for the regular edition. You wouldn't even know about the games or when BF would be putting them out if not for the CE versions.
This is also coming from a MAC user who has to wait even longer for games IF we get them at all. I personally have bought and enjoyed many CE games and would get this one if It were MAC ready. It's not for everyone just like **** or TM or Match-3 aren't for everyone's tastes. That where the variety and spice of life comes from.
So please please please it's been said a million times and doesn't need to be said a million more. The games are here to stay so just by pass them and let it be.

Syrenia
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by Syrenia on Mar 11, 10 8:08 AM
I would like to know more about the "novels." Are they actual full length stories, or just a 10 page short story?

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Mar 11, 10 8:14 AM
Having fun playing this, love the puzzles. I like the Collectors Editions, have bought all the I HOGs. Had no problem downloading the game, just going back into it for the first time after buying, hope all will be O.K.

[Post New]by Snakey_poo on Mar 11, 10 9:04 AM
Well I've done my hour demo and was just beginning on Chapter 3 (I wasn't being slow either). From what I have seen I think it's a lovely game, beautifully drawn with lots of interesting puzzles. I do not usually buy CE games (other than Dire Grove which I just had to have and was worth the price asked) but after playing for 1 hour and looking at other people's reviews I am convinced enough to splash out and buy this one

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Mar 11, 10 9:17 AM
Darn, was just going to play the Demo then wait for the regular version....that's not going to happen now! Loved it....picking up stuff and morphing items, what's not to love???

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 11, 10 9:26 AM
Saturnmiss wrote:Don't want to sound ugly but i'm getting a little tired of the complaints about the CE additions of the games. First just don't buy them then. Second they always come out as a regular game soon afterward, Third you're not waiting on anything if you do wait for the regular edition. You wouldn't even know about the games or when BF would be putting them out if not for the CE versions.
This is also coming from a MAC user who has to wait even longer for games IF we get them at all. I personally have bought and enjoyed many CE games and would get this one if It were MAC ready. It's not for everyone just like **** or TM or Match-3 aren't for everyone's tastes. That where the variety and spice of life comes from.
So please please please it's been said a million times and doesn't need to be said a million more. The games are here to stay so just by pass them and let it be.

Your not being ugly ...Very well said , CE's are here to stay ..take it or leave it ,

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Mar 11, 10 9:29 AM
kayjay97 wrote:Excellent game and story line. Good hint system. I had no tech issues nor problems downloading

In an hour I got to level 5 so sadly, I am going to pass on the CE Edition as I can not justify the cost. I didn't need to use the strategy guide and only used the hints a couple of times

I second this! Lovely game, great story line. Liked the way Briar Rose appeared to show me where to go next. I am not a huge fan of the "pieces" hogs - I just click on anything that sticks out and that way get most of the bits then check for the rest, but still enjoyed this game. Oooh and the "cursed items" were cool - I love morphing things. But seeing as I also got well into Lvl 5, I can't justify buying the CE either.

Hmmm this CE does explain the sudden lack of hogs over the past ten days or so

Will def be buying the standard edition.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Mar 11, 10 9:30 AM
Thanks to each one of you! I have never bought a CE, but this has to do more with my finances than any philosophical issue about CE's in general. I nearly bought the Treasure Seekers CE, but...$ got in the way again. THIS one...I saw it early this morning, and quickly zapped to the forums - so quickly that there weren't even any posts on it yet, lol. Now I have the opinions of all of you, added to my own pleased first impressions...This game, this CE, is a definite buy.

Cranky_B
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by Cranky_B on Mar 11, 10 9:31 AM
I downloaded the trial w/out any problems. I have Windows 7. So far, love the game. Don't have the $20 yet to purchase it, but probably will. Only issue I have with it is it seems like you are gathering a lot of items not knowing yet what to do with them and then needing a lot of items you haven't found yet. I really like their spin on finding hidden objects... a little different then say the MCF HOG, but nice blend of hidden objects, puzzles and adventure. Just my 2 cents...

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Mar 11, 10 9:32 AM
The complaints would stop if the CE version and regular version of the games were offered on the same day.

Go to: