MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for It's all about masks

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Mar 13, 10 10:47 AM
Got an error button in Chapter one...brought me back to BF Games Manager. Hit play again and no problems. Not sure what that was all about but got to play. Won't buy this game tho. Typical HOG game.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Mar 13, 10 10:53 AM
Had no problems with game running. Straight HOG so not my cup of tea.

[Post New]by WanderingPenguin on Mar 13, 10 11:12 AM
EcclesCakes wrote:After the needlepoint puzzle, you get about 5 rooms to visit. Unfortunately, even after completing one or two of those, if you exit the game for a break and come back, you come back to the beginning of the darn needlepoint puzzle! Tried it twice and the same thing happened. That makes it a no sale for me, I'm afraid.

Eccles Cakes

I completely agree with your comment. We didn't even exit the game and had the same problem. We solved the needlepoint puzzle, but found that the room was not completed, so we re-entered it. After (again) finding all the hidden objects, we were asked to help the lady with her needlepoint. So we clicked on the sampler again and the exact same puzzle appeared on our screen to be solved from the beginning a second time. Not good.

We also had a problem with ambiguity in several scenes. For example, in one scene they asked us to find a "stamp" and we clicked on more than one kind of "stamp" before we found the one they wanted. This is a pet peeve of mine in HOGs.

Will not be buying; in fact, didn't complete the demo.

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Mar 13, 10 11:49 AM
Did not even finish the Demo...Music is horrible, not really music at all....Nothing to do but find ****'s...Boring...Mini puzzles too easy.....No thanks

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 13, 10 12:03 PM
Wow! I am really in the minority here as far as people who posted their comments about this game.
I like it. I very much appreciate the graphics for one. I also appreciate that the objects are so well hidden and plenty of them.
It certainly has a good length of playing time, for me anyhow.
The music varies as do the sounds such as rain falling, children giggling. I like that. Sometimes the music is a little annoying but it is only in some scenes so I just turn it down a little.
I like the mini games because they are so different than what I am used to. It challenges me to think differently. Loved the needlepoint mini. Kept me focused.
It is pretty much a straight HOG but for the reasons I have stated I think it is a very good one.
I still have many IHOGs to play but it's always nice to have a straight HOG when you are in the mood.
I bought the game.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Mar 13, 10 3:06 PM
Nope. Not for me. I did the demo hour, just about burst an eardrum with the nasty horrendous hideous music (someone needs to have their instruments tuned).

Some of the graphics were so dim and poorly drawn the only way I could find them was using a hint (grr). And the back and forth... I dunno.

DID find out something new, the "clew". I'm a yarn addict, and didn't even know it was a word for a yarn ball. Maybe I'll ask for Clew balls next time I'm at walsy mart lol!

I have a pretty recent puter (6 months old? archaic I know) and the 2nd time I ran the game it kept lagging/hanging on me (I'd move the mouse, and it would kinda get "stuck" then move).

The fact that I can't change the cursor, the bad music, and very dry story line make this a nope not even on a DD for me. Sorry folks.

Edited on 03/13/2010 at 3:07:40 PM PST

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Mar 13, 10 3:24 PM
I played the demo and really did enjoy it. I am glad that at least some others found the embroidery puzzle sort of neat and intriguing. No problem with it running on my computer; which is almost five years old, and uses Windows XP Home Edition service pack 3. I did have the same little "hiccup" with that room still showing as active after I completed the puzzle. I sent a "help" request to BFG, and if enough of us let them know what happened, maybe they can get the developers to fix the problem and give us a new build. I think it will have a decent amount of playing time; I only finished the first scene in Part 3 before the demo ended.

Edited on 03/13/2010 at 3:28:59 PM PST

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 13, 10 4:46 PM
I like the game a lot and I like HOG the best of all games but this one does not have an option for me to turn off the custom cursor. Also screen resolution (once again) is off and I had to play the demo in windows mode. Between that and the slo-mo hard to maneuver cursor, I gave up.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Mar 13, 10 7:50 PM
I'm finding that I really like this game. The objects are not difficult to find and I like the fact that if you click on some objects, they make a sound. I clicked on the wild cat in Col. Turner's room and it growled and it's eyes glowed, I thought that was kinda neat. I always turn the music off when I play, because I find it distracting. I'm actually quite surprised at so many negative comments regarding this game because as a fairly straight HOG with a little interplay, it's really good IMHO. I'm still going to wait to purchase until I see if we get another HOG that may interest me more.

jin

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Mar 13, 10 8:22 PM
straight HOG, semi interesting plot, music irratating so I usually turn it off. Not real difficult--may wait on DD to buy

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Mar 13, 10 8:50 PM
i like the game also, i really enjoyed the embroidery mini puzzle that was so different. some items are really hard to find but the hint recharges no timer i played with the music low but could hear the different sounds that was nice. i quit after the embroidery game, but i am going to get this as it is a nice change with the mini games.

i will give it 3 out of 5 just for the embroidery game it really got my attention there.

oh you also do keep a few things in inventory. to be used in later scenes.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Mar 13, 10 9:58 PM
I know I would enjoy this game if I could only get the curser to let go of the tiles on the box on the desk. The rest looks really good. I turned down the music about 25% and it was just fine. I like the look of it.
If an update is done, I will buy it.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 13, 10 10:42 PM
This is a traditional junkpile HOG which I like sometimes when I just want to relax. Most of the graphics are nice and clear and not tiny (which Ive run into too many that are too dark and too tiny lately), so this was a nice relief. It's what a HOG should be, items cleverly hidden in plain sight. A few items were a drag, but hey that's what hints are for and these hints load in decent time.

The story could have been more interesting, but it's OK, I rather have a good game. The only complaint I have is with some of the wording. I dont know if they need better translators (as Ive run into with other games) or if they were trying to be clever....a letter opener is a paper knife? The one that read "letters" should have said tiles, as you wouldnt know they were letters until they were used in the mini. And was "clew" really necessary? In about a minute or one hint and you figure it out. "Ball of yarn" would have sufficed, I dont play games to take a lesson in old, obsolete English.
Overall, it's pretty good

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Mar 14, 10 12:19 AM
Hi...biomix..I totally agree. I LOVED THIS GAME; yes it is a straight HOG game; but the graphics (I think) are wonderful; there is a story line...not sure yet what it is..but there is something to think about, and I will be buying;

I have a relatively NEW computer and had not one problem playing the game. Just a quick remember about the disclaimer suggesting that the game may not play with older computers. I had to bite the bullet and upgrade my computer after my monitor died. So I got a laptop and the games work extremely well.

We may be few in numbers who think that this game is fun! That is OK...
Have a good day!

OnWI

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Mar 14, 10 9:22 AM
I only have one objection to this game - you can't turn off the custom cursor. I have a habit of running the cursor round the screen as I hunt for the things I can't find. The custom cursor in this game moves really slowly. I suppose you could argue that it's forcing me to look more carefully. I just think it's a pain.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 14, 10 11:09 AM
Great to hear a few other fishies are enjoying this game. I think it is a quality game.
I hope that if and when they develop another one similar to this that they give the option to turn off the custom cursor so others can enjoy as well.

Well, off to play

honeybun3403
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by honeybun3403 on Mar 14, 10 12:25 PM
I was able to get thru most of the game until Mr. Cummings was supposed to hand out the masks. Total freeze. tried exiting to desktop and reenter. nothing. Then exited completely and re-entered. Again, freeze. Anyone with any suggestions? Running XP.
Thx
Honey

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Mar 14, 10 11:24 PM
Getting abit tired of these S-HOG, no buy from me too.

You're kidding, right?

B/c I am looking around for this alleged flood of straight HOGs w/ which BFG has been inundated & I ain't seeing em! All we've had out lately seems to be "games on the variation of who can make the biggest mess by combining the most elements, innovations, & aggravations into one game & call it a HOG" HOGs. I didn't even notice this one till just now w/ all the jumping up & down over whatever it is that fractured fairytale Briar Rose thing is supposed to be. I am seriously scratching my head trying to remember the last really truly no gimmicks upfront we're not lying just to getcher bucks straight HOG that was released here, it may have been Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly?

Flood me w/ straight HOGs....it'd be better than the mismash of nonsense that seems to pass for a HOG these days!

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Mar 15, 10 8:36 AM
Pretty much a regular HOG with items that are sometimes hard to find, Some of the objects wouldn't pick up until I pressed the hint button. It also has some items on the list that didn't match up to what I thought it would be. Has rechargeable hints and solves for the puzzles. Not much of a plot and pretty boring puzzles.
Might buy it if was on sale only.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 15, 10 9:58 AM
Hi, I just finished the trial and got up to the needlepoint flower. "clew" through me too! I am running a new computer , Sony Vaio with Windows 7, aero card turned off. Ran fine...pretty graphics...definitely a HOG game. Music was not great but not bad...It would be a nice break from puzzle or adventure games when stumped by them. As I often get stumped by those type. LOL ...Sally

Go to: