vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Comment and Reviews for I SPY Mystery

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 6, 10 6:04 AM
March_Hare wrote:I spy a miss by a mile. Fifty-eight minutes still left on the trial.

Two minutes was all I could take, given the grating voice, the poor graphics/resolution and the fact that it is clearly aimed at very young children (kindergarten age) - with no mention of that in the game's description. Hooray for demos.

Ditto! Only lasted two minutes myself!

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Apr 6, 10 6:09 AM
Just finished the demo and found myself wishing I could go on with the game! LOL. Very much for young children (which explains the annoying narration) but I was enjoying the simplicity. The two mysteries that I completed were cleverly done, considering the intended audience. Chasing the mouse was fun and had a sweet ending. The player's name is incorporated into several scenes, which would certainly appeal to kids. I found one tiny bit of interaction when a button had to be moved in order to complete an object. Didn't notice any problem with the graphics - seemed clear to me. I'm no kid, but might consider buying this as a DD just so I could solve the remaining mysteries!

glocal
Flounder
Flounder
2,408 Posts

[Post New]by glocal on Apr 6, 10 6:25 AM
Love the I Spy games. Usually Great for the children. I was going to contact Scholastic about the quality until I read some of the comments.

When I saw TGT I knew it would be a done deal until.......

I know my eyes aren't that bad!!!! Terrible graphics, voice doesn't bother me as I am used to these games (work with children and I spy 's are favorites).

Graphics remind me of the pixels on an old Apple computer.

Come on Scholastic you're quality is better than this. I purchased the I Spy for Wii and liked the premise . i thought this (since large file download) may have some of the features. I couldn't get through more than two paintings and I was done.

sorahi23
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by sorahi23 on Apr 6, 10 7:39 AM
I read the comments and reviews for this game while it was downloading, and I admit the comments made me curious, so I went ahead and tried it.

I expected it to be geared for younger players when I saw the I Spy name, but games for kids can be fun at times. I have to agree with other reviewers that this one is more annoying than anything else.

The voice is typical of games and shows aimed at preschool children and I have suffered through enough of those not to want to put up with it in a game I am playing. I also don't see what is the point of being able to uncheck both the narration and all sound in the options when it doesn't change anything. I was willing to play without sound if it wouild stop the voice, but I unchecked both boxes and she still read the riddle to me.

Not a game for me.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Apr 6, 10 8:38 AM
Poodlebear wrote:This makes me really sad, actually. I don't care that it's a kids game. It was an I Spy that first introduced me to HOGs and I LOVED it. I don't recall the name (it's not offered here) but it had different story book type chapters. Then I found I Spy Spooky Mansion and loved it too. Now granted, that was several years ago now and I have much higher expectations, but the graphic quality of this game is just unforgivable. Perhaps they were trying to save size or make it run on all systems, but considering my system is over 6 years old now and I played, without lag, some gorgeous games recently it's very possible to have both.

I barely played it because even windowed the graphics were better but still "pixelated" and I shouldn't have to play windowed. It may well have been a good game but I can't enjoy something that looks this bad. Poodlebear Passes.

Poodlebear - I feel exactly the same! in 2006 around, Halloween, I was surfing for something spooky - general google search - and found I Spy Spooky Mansion - became addicted to games and found and have been a member since. I too have graduated to bigger and better, however - this is where it all started for me!

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Apr 6, 10 9:06 AM
I do so agree, Poodlebear, Lindawithag and others. Very disappointing. Anyone who's enjoyed the I SPY games in the past will feel let down by this on so man levels.

There's the quality of the graphics - they were certainly not like this in the other games, which were lovely and clear.

Then there's the 'unfinished' feel to the game - as you finish each puzzle you're just left wondering what to do next, not sent back to the home screen.

And there's the length. It looks as though there are only six 'mysteries'. I finished two in half an hour, so not much playability beyond the demo.

And finally, worst of all for me, is the fact that many, if not all, of the screens are recycled from other I SPY games. If you already have those games you'd be wasting your money buying this one.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.....

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Apr 6, 10 9:10 AM
Hmm, may be I'm going a little senile....but I liked this game. As with the other I downloaded, it brings with it a little bit of lightness and wonder...abiet a simple kind of wonder!!

While I agree that the graphics are 'hazy' I still found myself smiling at the antics of the objects found and appreciation at the thought put into them. Having to solve the puzzle at the end of the riddles is an added bonus.

I think there are seven riddles, and I finished 3 and a bit before the trial ran out, so me thinks that it would not be that long of a game. Perhaps a bit more than two hours. And, this is what would stop me from buying the game now....money being tight, I'd need a bit more bang for my buck. I would however, have no difficutlies purchasing it at $2.99.

I do appreciate the smile it put on my face today. Too bad I'm not flush with the $$'s

happy gaming all

[Post New]by candleofhope on Apr 6, 10 9:14 AM
Don't post much but when I read this title I said I have this game....It's an old game...just doesn't have the whole title...I spy...spooky mansion...it's the same ....sorry but i'm passing on this since I have it...believe it came out in 2008 on r.a.
Just to close to the spooky mansion game....way to close....
Sorry to spoil it.....it's an old game...come on Big Fish.....

Edited on 04/06/2010 at 9:16:13 AM PST

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Apr 6, 10 9:18 AM
I was wondering if this game was Beta tested. With all the stinky reviews did anyone that beta tested it say it was a good game...... I don't think so. So why offer the game at all?? Just wondering.
giggyann

akaratcat
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by akaratcat on Apr 6, 10 9:35 AM
I just tried this game,,,,,,I am so sorry,,,,the graphic is terrible. I have a new system and it didn't help game....I have a 4 yr old grandson who didn't like game.....His favorite is granny and mushroom age and sprill.........He can play those so he is to old even for this game.......
Sorry, could not like game no matter how hard I tried..........do not like to be talked down to as this game does.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Apr 6, 10 9:36 AM
I downloaded this as 9 yr old DGD is visiting for Easter Holiday but graphics are awful, cursor is very sticky. DGD has been playing Return to Mysterious Island. Kids are more sophisticated than some people give them credit for. This is a pass for us as well. . Just our opinion.

[Post New]by dreamquests on Apr 6, 10 9:41 AM
Wow! I couldn't even get through the first scenes before cutting it off. Between the voice, the graphics and the slow response time, I was just aggravated. Sorry, definitely not a buy for me.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Apr 6, 10 9:47 AM
I'm just DL this now so haven't seen it yet,but my granddaughter and I love the I Spy games we already have that BF doesn't offer for some reason. The wonderful 3-games in one I Spy Fantasy,I Spy Treasure Hunt,and the one that BF offers that we have I Spy Spooky Mansion Deluxe.

With the small number of kids games that BF has,I'm sure not going to complain because they decide to offer some a few days in a row,but I do wish they would get some of the other popular I Spy titles and those great quality ones by Humongous-PuttPutt, Pajama Sam and Freddie Fish titles. They are wonderful hidden object games with great graphics and really adorable voices and stories. PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE BF for our kids and grandkids!
[b]

sullysdragons
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by sullysdragons on Apr 6, 10 9:56 AM
If this is intended for children (and it obviously is) then the graphics should be nice and crisp and clear. They are so far from that ---- I can't even begin to describe. Awful is the first word that pops to mind. I immediately took it to windowed, to try and sharpen it up, and it was still grainy and pixelated.

I give this 2 thumbs down.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 6, 10 10:08 AM
soblessed57 wrote:I'm just DL this now so haven't seen it yet,but my granddaughter and I love the I Spy games we already have that BF doesn't offer for some reason. The wonderful 3-games in one I Spy Fantasy,I Spy Treasure Hunt,and the one that BF offers that we have I Spy Spooky Mansion Deluxe.

With the small number of kids games that BF has,I'm sure not going to complain because they decide to offer some a few days in a row,but I do wish they would get some of the other popular I Spy titles and those great quality ones by Humongous-PuttPutt, Pajama Sam and Freddie Fish titles. They are wonderful hidden object games with great graphics and really adorable voices and stories. PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE BF for our kids and grandkids!

I would also very much like to see these other games offered here! I have watched kids play them, and they were having so much fun, [b]I
wanted to play too! PuttPutt is especially fun, I think.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Apr 6, 10 10:42 AM
Yes, we both love our "Putt-Putt Travels Through Time ",and I will probably soon get "PuttPutt Saves The Zoo". Too bad I won't be getting it here at BF.

Edited on 04/06/2010 at 10:42:55 AM PST

[Post New]by syimi3333 on Apr 6, 10 12:22 PM
Everyone is correct... its a kids game, graphics are way more pixelated than previous I Spy games, its unbearable to play if your not 5years old... tried for 2mins and had to stop...

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Apr 6, 10 12:23 PM
I was so desperate for a HOG game that I bought this one. Come on BF more challanging HOG games please. Can someone tell me if "I Spy Mystery" only has the one page of challanges? I feel like I finished up real fast and I am not a fast person with these games usually. If that was all there was to this game, then even $6.99 was a waste of money.

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Apr 6, 10 1:30 PM
Horrible graphics, horrible voice you can't shut off, and the "windowed" mode of this game simply shrinks the playable area into a small box in the middle of a sea of black.

Definitely a "delete-now" for me.

I Spy a total loser.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Apr 6, 10 1:39 PM
I am SO glad I read the forums before wasting my time downloading this. The other 3 I SPY games, made for kids, were not bad at all. I enjoyed playing them with my granddaughter. But, because of the voice, grainy graphics and overall poor recommendations, I won't bother. TY again!

Go to: