CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Mar 25, 10 3:14 PM
The ***** in my comments should show up as **** (hidden object) - don't know what happened there.

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Mar 25, 10 3:45 PM
Difficulty level (as in: its way too easy)

Graphics:

Music:

Storyline:

Money's worth:

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Mar 25, 10 3:46 PM
CiCiRR wrote:The ***** in my comments should show up as **** (hidden object) - don't know what happened there.

Heeeeyyyy, you posted the exact same thing at gamebozo

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 25, 10 3:51 PM
Repost (with slight edit) so it's in the right topic.

I can't deny that these are some of the best graphics I have *ever* seen. Beautiful visual design, spooky animation and atmospheric lighting that still managed to be bright enough to find stuff. That said...? The game? Eh.

As was said above I also find it too easy, so much so I keep overly complicating the puzzles thinking, "Can that really be that simple?". Yep. I am also really annoyed by the sparklies that show interactive areas not yet activated and keep blinking away, or items you are meant to look at but do nothing with, like the clippings, that continue to blink after looking at them. Some things you need to interact with blink, some things don't and it doesn't seem consistent. I'd rather have no blinking at all or have it optional. Another small pet peeve of mind - HOG scenes that you return to and the things originally found are back in place. It's a small thing, but it's a thing. Then there is the clumsy Inventory/List control. At one point I had to zoom into an area and use an inventory item, but unless I thought to switch from list to inventory before zooming in it would dump me back when I tried to open inventory. ...and yeah, the dusting thing, which I see simply as time paddding. It was ok the first time, but not every room.

As I've said many times before the artwork in a game is hugely important to me, but this week has been an eye opener. Played, bought and loved Millennium Secrets - Emerald Curse which had really carpy 1990s graphics but super gameplay. Then comes this offering with insanely good art and so-so mechanics. Don't get me wrong, it's a *good* game, just not great, and if not for the graphics I'd be really lukewarm about it. As it is I'll have no trouble at all waiting for the standard edition.

<-----90% based on graphics

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Mar 25, 10 4:36 PM
Now this is what a game should be all about! Having said that, I'll still wait for the less expensive version and yes, I could well live without the dusting of the mirrors. Still, very clever and lots of fun. You actually get involved in helping the character escape.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 25, 10 5:02 PM
Poodlebear, thank you so much, I do look forward to your reviews and they are so accurate. I also agree with another fishie that it just didnt excite me that much. I too did not get the "I just have to buy this now". Maybe its unfare to compare with MFC Games and RTR and D?RE Grove were worth every penny. Therefore since think I can get 3 games for that price and fill out a second punch card, I might as well wait for the regular version. Thanks so much. CHeers

mizzmm
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
435 Posts

[Post New]by mizzmm on Mar 25, 10 5:40 PM
great game, but not worth 20.00
i'll wait until the 6.99 version comes
out. imo, this game should not have
been a CE.

i would have bought it tonight if it
was 6.99.

[Post New]by jen_69 on Mar 25, 10 5:43 PM
wow i think my game has a glinch i think is the 3th level the one in basement i gave the right time in but nothing happen now i'm stuck...can somebody help?

[Post New]by aroyyuyhyuiyhuhy on Mar 25, 10 6:25 PM
Got to the celler and i'm sure i played that wine bottle scene in another game, but i don't know which one???

dachawawa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dachawawa on Mar 25, 10 6:26 PM
jen_69 wrote:wow i think my game has a glinch i think is the 3th level the one in basement i gave the right time in but nothing happen now i'm stuck...can somebody help?

Make sure the hour hand is in the correct position....HINT...it won't be on the XI.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 25, 10 8:28 PM
This game has marvellous graphics and great if you are in the mood for easy IHOG- it does get a bit trickier (just a weeny teeny bit) in places further along but not so hard you need the strategy guide.
I did not find the story particularly enthralling and the mini puzzles were crummy.

I am a slower than most HOG player and I estimate a good 7 hours of play here for me, without using hints unless particiularly necessary or skipping the mundane mini games.

The bonus adventure was an extra 20-30 minutes play- same HOG scenes and objects but you had different tasks. Quite straightforward as is the main part of the game.
The other extras were wallpapers and cutscenes from the game which held no interest for me personally.

I did enjoy playing the game, though I do wish they would stop this dumbing down of games and put some challenge there. SInce I am paying for a strategy guide I would like the chance to at least need it once

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 25, 10 10:33 PM
This is one game that I will definitely wait for the regular version to come out. I think the main problem I had with the game is the storyline. There are enough morbid things in the world that I really don't need to see it in the games I play. I can handle a few, but it seems like the majority of the games now are ghostly, deathly, or plain weird/evil. I realize others might love this type, but for me, it is really sort of getting old.

I did complete the demo and got to the end of the pantry section during that time. Judging by the number of mirror pieces I still had left to find (9), it appears to be a relatively long game. I did skip most of the dialogue so I could play more of the game to see if I wanted to purchase it. I do think taking the time to read the dialogue might help...or maybe not

The graphics were good and the minigames, for the most part were okay. The music was okay although my daughter did come into the room and say the game looked and sounded weird. The hint refreshed quickly, but there is a penalty for random clicking. Like Poodlebear, I, too, was irritated by the sparkles. You would click on them and either there was nothing to do there or it was something you had already completed. I didn't find the game too easy, but I just didn't get that "Wow, I've got to have it" feeling.

Edited on 03/25/2010 at 10:35:20 PM PST

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 26, 10 2:10 AM
I really wanted to like this game, it was very interactive, no timer, hints loaded quickly, I never got stuck and it has nice graphics, BUT......

every other screen had tiny objects and the ones in between were way too easy. It's got the mirror shards and the same old mini games as lots of other games. Not cool to have a key sitting out in plain view when you're searching for another key. You do the work to find the diagram that's not needed the mini is so easy. Dusting mirrors every level was not fun, felt like housework LOL, annoying to have to get every bit of it when all you want to do is get to the next level. Too easy, there was no challenge to me.

Seems will be a mid-size length, I got thru 4 of the 19 or 20 levels in the 1 hr. I definitely wont buy the CE, maybe if I have nothing better to spend my game credit on, definitely if it's ever a DD.

sandyterryb
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by sandyterryb on Mar 26, 10 2:11 AM
Finally a HOG I`m not squinting or using a magnifying glass for. Easy to follow with plenty of hints if you prefer using them. Had been able to skip the mini`s at least as far as I`d gotten. Music not bad enough it had to be turned off. Good graphics, at least not in the pitch dark like some games. Didn`t find it scarry at all but rather amusing. Had an enjoyable time during the trial period. Will definately purchase.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Mar 26, 10 7:08 AM
I have 10 minutes left on my demo and I am in the Dining Room. I have found the game exceptionally easy. Like most of the reviews I've read, I also prefer HOGs to be challenging. I'm looking forward to something difficult, especially the puzzles! I will not be purchasing the CE or the regular edition of the game.

[Post New]by gooddragon38 on Mar 26, 10 8:18 AM
The game was ok but didn't really "grab" me enough to get the CE. Will probably get the regular version when it comes out.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Mar 26, 10 9:53 AM
Is anyone at BF reading these reviews? If you are, you should be aware that most of us won't pay the cost of a CE? What is with this new policy anyway. It sucks!

I played the Demo and found it much too easy which makes me wonder what criteria is being used to determine what is going to be designated as a Collector's Edition. Does anyone know?

Edited on 03/26/2010 at 11:27:59 PM PST

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Mar 26, 10 10:45 AM
Interesting game but not worth the CE price for me.

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on Mar 26, 10 10:50 AM
I would buy this game but as often happens, the game screen does not fit my widescreen monitor- it's raised about an inch from the bottom so an inch is cut off the top. Confusing because a lot of games fit just fine, and if they don't I can use the windowed option. Is it because I have Windows 7? Does anyone else have this problem?

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Mar 26, 10 11:00 AM
Welcome to the pond tyyllls!

You may want to check out this help article to see if it will help get your game playing in widescreen mode. Screen Resolution

If that doesn't help, you can contact Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right of the screen, and then clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom left of the next page.

Or if you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat

Hope this helps!
bfgTigris

Edited on 03/26/2010 at 11:01:01 AM PST

Go to: