Re:Comments and Reviews for Happyville: Quest for Utopia

[Post New]by Mortal_Godiva on Mar 27, 10 8:36 AM
Saturn1985 wrote:
Mortal_Godiva wrote:
I personally wish more games like "My Kingdom for a Princess" would be developed which brilliantly captured both strategy and TM. I am hoping that the upcoming Playfirst release "Royal Envoy" will meet this exciting criteria.

Just to avoid confusion, Royal Envoy is being developed and released by Playrix It will be released on next Wednesday as a Special Edition, as one of the developers announced at GZ just yesterday.

Another nice surprise - the Russian version of My Kingdom for the Princess 2 has been released just recently, so it might get here soon

Yes, Saturn 1985 you are correct. My mistake: I meant Playrix.

mr7933
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by mr7933 on Mar 27, 10 9:15 AM
I kind of liked it in the trial so I bought it. I expected to see different towns and more variety of buildings, but I didn't. I ran out of room and can't get every citizen happy, which is the last goal. I also can't seem to earn enough to buy all the monuments. There doesn't seem to be a cap on the population, so making every person happy is impossible. There just isn't enough space for all the houses and business.

lorie56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by lorie56 on Mar 27, 10 9:56 AM
sorahi23 wrote:This game had potential. I was enjoying it for a while, even though accumulating money is slow. But it was the unrealistic wants of the townspeople that eventually killed it for me.

The whole place is barely a village and they want shops on every other lot and a hospital and police station just down the street from the ones that are already there. And why does each business only seem to employ one person, so that every new person immigrating to the town needs a new place to work? There was no way to lay out the town in the manner I wanted and keep the people happy at the same time. Very disappointing.

You can increase the coverage of the hospital, police station and other buildings. Just click on the building and then click on the arrow to increase the coverage.

[Post New]by ziggy111 on Mar 27, 10 1:21 PM
wreeve2006 wrote:Well, I bought it, played it, got bored, built more, got to where EVERYONE had to have a hospital/police station/school AND be happy - then get an error message saying the Manager has run out of sprite! what a funny error message hahaha - obviously some bug - and some developer putting in an amusing comment!
Well, now i have filled every possible square with something there is nowhere for me to go! hmmmmm think i wasted a game credit on this one. sorry developers, thought it could do with a "next" town option where you could put what you had learned into practice. not a happy bunny really. sorry.

ASForbes
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ASForbes on Mar 27, 10 2:16 PM
Anyone remember an old PlayStation 2 game called "Metropolismania"? Happyville is just like it, but in a minature version. I read all the reviews, but decided to try it out for myself. I played the demo with no expectations of what it was going to be like, and was happily surprised. I bought it because it's simple, yet fun. (The SPRINGFEVER discount didn't hurt, either)

[Post New]by pearlofgr8price on Mar 27, 10 4:13 PM
This game was disappointing. I had no idea it was over once you ran out of ground to build. It made the game really BORING after a while. i wish it had other cities to move up to. It was like one long boring level.

cjathome
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by cjathome on Mar 27, 10 10:51 PM
As an avid TM player, I have been in the parched desert lately waiting for something new to play. When I saw this one, I thought maybe. I played the 1 hour demo and didn't like it all. Was bored and frustrated within 10 mins. However, I NEEDED something new to play and I hoped against hope that maybe I just didn't give it enough time.

Stupid, stupid stupid. I used up my game credit for a game I won't ever play again. Games that actually annoy me are the worst waste of money.

Not blaming anybody but myself for not listening to my TM game intuition. The final straw came when the citizens wanted a restaurant, I built two businesses near each other and both turned out to be clothing shops. GRRRRR...

This game sucks the big one. Don't waste your money or credit.

ruthiepic
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by ruthiepic on Mar 28, 10 7:43 AM
This game is a mild diversion for a few hours and nothing more. It's a little disappointing as the format is simple and could have just been tweaked a bit to make it a really interesting engaging game. I really liked the graphics and the use of goals and elections. More goals, a bigger area and some different buildings could make an outstanding game. But it isn't.

dlkelly01
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dlkelly01 on Mar 28, 10 7:53 PM
Got a little bored at the end.....

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Mar 28, 10 8:42 PM
I enjoyed the 1 hr demo but was worried that there may be no more if I ran out of ground which I was starting to do. This game could have been great if you got to level up to a bigger sized city. There needs to be more games with many levels like Burger Shop so you feel like you're getting your money's worth. I just also tried Diner Town Tycoon and thought I was playing Fairy Godmother Tycoon again. Bigfish needs some new fresh ideas and stop duplications!

Comments and Reviews for Happyville: Quest for Utopia

[Post New]by maysalee on Mar 29, 10 5:04 AM
I want my game credit back! Read the reviews and totally agree. This game is a failure!

bbyee
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by bbyee on Mar 29, 10 11:46 AM
I am a *huge* TM game fan and played the demo of this game, enjoyed it enough, and picked up the full version. Now I'm just frustrated. I can't make all my little people happy even though no one is homeless and there are plenty of job openings!

I understand that there is a big demand for these games because people like us don't mind paying a few bucks for entertainment, but I was really unhappy with this game. You "unlock" everything really quickly and, like others have mentioned, when there is a need for a specific business and you build 2 next to each other, half the time they aren't what is wanted!

Sorry, but the developers missed the boat on this one, which is a shame. It seems that the quality of TM games has decreased quite a bit over the past year. I'm eagerly awaiting the next Build-a-Lot to give me my fix

[Post New]by bonlee1 on Mar 30, 10 4:59 AM
This is my first TM game , so I guess I needed to start out slow. I was a little disappointed though because it does not seem challenging enough. Once I have my city full I am getting the Manager out of sprites error message. I would like to have had the option to determine the type of business to set up and also determine how many employees at each business. How about having options for the housing - single family dwelling vs apartment complex, etc. I can not seem to ever make the citizens happy - they want a clothing store when one is across the street. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Big Fish Games -great customer service, interesting games, REASONABLE PRICES (YEA).

nobodyz
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by nobodyz on Mar 30, 10 6:14 AM
MarkAlan wrote:
I also agree with Saturn's review, but another mindless hidden object game is what we don't need. This site is chuck full of them and even the other categories like puzzle and adventure have become hidden object clones. It's now even infiltrating the time management and match 3 games. See "Potion Bar" and "The Enchanted Kingdom" for example.

"Sim City" was an awesome game. Now if only the right developer would step up and translate that concept into a casual game worthy of that franchise. Gogii was obviously the wrong candidate for the job.

We will have to wait and see...

100% in agreement with you MarkAlan on the fact that hidden object games (aka HOGs) have virtually taken over other genres on BigFishGames. I do not want to see them take over completely, so I spend money on other types of games.

I bought this one hoping that it would be a new and unique or at least different building game and it IS in my opinion, but the eternally slow trickle of money even on sped up speed in the game is enough to make citizens leave because they are "tired of being unhappy". Well, so am I. I'm tired of searching for other types of games besides HOGs and having such a hard time finding them.

On the upbeat note of hope: This game can be salvaged, just needs a correction to the amount of money or at least the amount of time it takes to collect the money you need in order to fill simple and reasonable requests of the town characters.

Happyville: Quest for Utopia just needs balance.

[Post New]by shellymark on Mar 30, 10 3:07 PM
yea well i want my money back it was boring and i still can't make everyone happy its impossible

Everyone's Happy but still no Happy Ending!!! Hated it!

[Post New]by MrsTonyaFaye on Mar 30, 10 6:30 PM
Once I start a game I will not stop until it's completed. This was the worst game I've ever played in my LIFE!

The max population is 250: I reached it.

I had over 19 available jobs, no homeless & everyone was "Happy!" Not a sad citizen in the place. So I had 250 Happy People and I purchased the 100K Globe! I decorated the hell out of this town with plenty of trees and fountains....just went all out with it all.

I still was not successful!

I was hoping for a different level or town to start....nothing.

This game was so bad, it is a deal breaker for me. I'm done with this site.

Fool me Once, my fault, fool me twice (as bush said), I just won't be fooled again!

Peace and Hairgrease!

[Post New]by AnneAckland on Apr 1, 10 2:30 AM
I was definately dissappointed with this game. I played the 1 hour trial and really enjoyed it, so decided to take the plunge and use a credit to buy it ( i usually only buy farm frenzy / build-a-lot games), and once i started to play for real, realised quickly that this was a mistake. There are no-where near enough goals and types of houses/businesses to make it fun. Once you build a building, then within a few seconds a tradegy occoured and had to have a hospital or police station, right before election day, and it takes a week to accrue the funds needed. This game could have been sooo much better. I can't attain the 'make everyone happy' goal, despite reaching all other goals within a few hours, so is an anti-climax.......

[Post New]by Jezebel1967 on Apr 2, 10 11:00 AM
As a VIP member at LDW, I just got my advance copy of VV4 - Tree of Life. Great game, but some of the puzzles were pretty hard to get the hang of. I also enjoyed Happyville, up until I maxed out the space, and then it won't let you expand your boundaries. Never got the hang of the Sims games, I don't care for the way that they work. Still, Happyville could have at least had the option to expand, or move to different locales to start new towns. I'm kind of bored with it already.
puzzledone wrote:Saturn People who enjoy slower strategy games might enjoy this one, although, in contrast to Virtual Villagers for example, here are not even mysteries to solve, let alone other surprises-

I'm one of the VV devotees going back to VV1 thru 3 and eagerly waiting for VV4 Tree of Life to be at BF. But no, this game and most others I felt were clones of VVs. Maybe because VV1 was the first of this type game I ever tried and was so enchanted, I could just never warm up to other ones but VV2 and 3. They are endless for replay, challenging for trying new strategies, low key, too slow moving for some but I like that. I can get so immersed in their progress and my entertainment.

But consider, these devs at LDW spend a year on a new release. And they keep such a pulse on player's likes, dislikes, adding new features and keeping each one fresh and fun. Maybe we are just a cult, but I'd start a new village on an old game anytime over buying 3 more lookalikes. I know VV4 is worth waiting for, and plenty of other good quality games to replay in the meantime exploring other genres. Just no TMs for me, even if they did remove timers or added some other puzzles or HOGs. It would be a disaster if LDW started pitching us 3 or 4 a year just to pay their rent and ruin the original concept, feel for the game. They merely evolve along with their players and get better and better. OK may be out of line and OT here on another game's forum, but hope this dev is taking notes.

shadowsong
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by shadowsong on Apr 2, 10 11:43 AM
I agree with most of these reviews. I only did the trail for an hour, but it was frustrating trying to wait for the money to build up. The range of a restaurant or other building was only about 2 houses deep, everyone further than 2 houses away wanted you to build another grocery or restaurant. It did seem unrealistic to me as well. It looked like it had some potential at first.

Comments and Reviews for Happyville: Quest for Utopia

[Post New]by connorave on Apr 2, 10 2:47 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Happyville: Quest for Utopia? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Go to: