meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Island: The Lost Medallion

[Post New]by meisie99 on Mar 28, 10 10:33 AM
Here's what I really love about reading comments on games, it's never all for or against. This just goes to show that there are games out there for everyone. Personally I don't like straight HOGS anymore, yet I know there are many out there that do.

This game is just my cup of tea - interactive HOG. I love finding fragments, and not being spoon fed every step of the way. I enjoy a challenge. Some of the fragments are difficult to find, so thank goodness for a Hint system. I too used a hint for the light bulb and the lantern. When I clicked on the photo and realized that was the way to continue I felt a bit stupid lol. But now I know in future to click on finished fragments first before going to the hint system.

I love a game that makes me think. So this is definitely a buy for me with

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by auntann11 on Mar 28, 10 10:34 AM
I think I will get this one. Anyway, I do appreciate is that the hot spot is generous in this game. Too many games are sadistically pinpoint.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Mar 28, 10 10:42 AM
This is one of those games that is really a trade-off. Do you put up with the eyestrain caused by the ridiculously tiny graphics in order to play a really interesting game, or do you just give up and wait for the next game? I'll admit, I'm torn, because I really did like this game, and unlike some other fishies here, I like finding pieces of objects and then looking to see where those objects are used. But right now, after playing the demo, my eyes hurt, and that's with using a magnifying glass.

I think I'll put this is my 'maybe' pile, which is a shame because if not for the eyestrain, I would have bought this game today.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Mar 28, 10 10:47 AM
I really enjoy this game but for some reason it does not cover the entire screen of my laptop. There are two black areas on each side of the game. I have had this before and I could change my resolution and the game would then cover the 17" screen. I have tried every resolution at my disposal and no luck.

A shame because I would really like to play this game as it is a little bit different and the graphics are excellent. Anyone else having the screen issue and perhaps resolved it someway?

Corie

P.S. Except for this one drawback this game is quite enjoyable.

[Post New]by marylou51 on Mar 28, 10 10:55 AM
i have found everything in the car but game wont let me use screwdriver on bolts to get key............ help

Const_happy
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Const_happy on Mar 28, 10 11:06 AM
Corie60 wrote:I really enjoy this game but for some reason it does not cover the entire screen of my laptop. There are two black areas on each side of the game. I have had this before and I could change my resolution and the game would then cover the 17" screen. I have tried every resolution at my disposal and no luck.

A shame because I would really like to play this game as it is a little bit different and the graphics are excellent. Anyone else having the screen issue and perhaps resolved it someway?

Corie

P.S. Except for this one drawback this game is quite enjoyable.

The game simply keeps proportions, and isn't stretching in widescreen monitors.
Unfortunately you can not disable this function. But thus you see not spoiled graphics.

p.s. Pckiller in other topic suggested to make your screen resolution 1024x768 in Windows. And change it back after the game to the original resolution you have.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 28, 10 11:15 AM
I hope I won't get hurt.
After 30 minutes I gave up.
The music is a total cacophony (ok, I can turn it off, which I did). The story line is dull. The dialogues are irritating, e.g. “I’ve got the medallion but Pam is gone, I’d rather have her back”, duh! On a 24” screen I can’t find most of the objects, teeny tiny pieces. Eye strain. The puzzles are elementary; no brainstorming. Very boring game. Even the interactive part is annoying. This is simply MHO, very humble.
Sorry.

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 11:16:51 AM PST

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Mar 28, 10 11:18 AM
Thanks Const_happy. Yes, I understand the premise but it just bugs me . I tried changing my resolution and it made no difference. The Lost Cases of Sherlock Holmes did the same thing, but changing my resolution did stretch the game screen. I will just have to see if it bugs me enough to pass on the game.

Thank you for responding

Corie

r3t1r3d
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by r3t1r3d on Mar 28, 10 11:22 AM
Love this game. Has all the different elements in it that I really like in a game. Didnot want to leave the fishing boat by the dock, it was so peaceful, felt like I was on vacation. ( which is needed desperately)

akaratcat
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by akaratcat on Mar 28, 10 11:24 AM
I also wait for poodlebear's comments.............I downloaded and also bought with code.......So far I love this game.......also went against the grain and bought Haunted Manor collective edition...........so far I am loving both.......seems I have 3 free game credits for next month.........I found all hidden objects with little problem.......I only purchase from BF. Except for granny..........wish they had those here...............Customer service can't be beat..

Const_happy
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Const_happy on Mar 28, 10 11:25 AM
marylou51 wrote:i have found everything in the car but game wont let me use screwdriver on bolts to get key............ help

Hm.. try to click directly with the cursor point (not with a attached screwdriver) on the bolt's head, maybe you're just missing.
Hope you'll get through this

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 28, 10 11:42 AM
I am enjoying this game...yes, some items are really small, and a challenge to find, but the hints are available, and so far I haven't had to beg for a walkthrough, lol. I can't wait to get back to it. It is paced well enough to suit my mind at the moment. I have several games that I am playing just a bit at a time as they just aren't distracting enough. For those who know what is going on in my life at the moment, you will understand, lol. Sometimes a game that you can get totally involved in just isn't the one you need at that moment, yet this one is perfect for me right now. Thanks BF, once again.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 28, 10 11:46 AM
I always value Poodle's opinion but in this case I am a little disappointed.

Here is a game with promise, interesting if slightly overused story, nice puzzles with fragmented items and straight Hidden Object play, interaction, a Hint that renews faster than some do. What could be wrong?

Many object pieces are so tiny that they can barely be recognized. Some graphics are fuzzy. Some Hints are totally useless as noted by others here. if you don't know that a key opens something, a ladder reaches something and a light bulb illuminates then you probably are way too young to be playing games.

I really wanted to play this. It's the kind of game that I like. I still wonder if it might not improve if I just push on a bit. The library scene is what made me quit. I found the pieces very difficult to see. The parts were very small and I literally had to lean in to the monitor within just a couple inches. Even that close, I had difficulty seeing any of the pieces. I found the scene fuzzy. The only part I did totally unaided was to find the trombone pieces and scare off the owl. I found about 3 photo pieces unaided and had to resort to Hints for the rest. Several of the ladder rungs were very difficult to find. Once I had everything, I could not discover any hot spots to show where they needed to be used and the "cryptic" Hints were not helpful. That's when I quit.

Another problem I had was with the poor location of the Menu button. i was often kicked to the main Menu when I accidently clicked on that button. It must have happened at least 4 times before I clicked on it purposely.

One of the better things was the ability to randomly click a bit longer than some games allow. Do it too much and the curser will be disabled for about a second. The need for random clicking is strong when graphics are fuzzy, items are tiny and clues are useless so I did appreciate being able to do a little extra random clicking.

I would really like to explore this game a bit more. I have not completed the Demo so I will finish that in hopes that I see improvement. Even at the discount price, I doubt I will purchase this. Such a shame as I would like to see it to the end.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Mar 28, 10 11:49 AM
Decided to give it one more go, so I rebooted my laptop, then changed the resolution to 1024x768 and opened the game. It now fills the screen. Figure the memory dump on reboot did the trick. So now the game is a definite buy for me .

Thanks Const_happy for getting me to rethink and try one more time.

Corie

valeriepres
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by valeriepres on Mar 28, 10 11:52 AM
Has anyone finished this game? If so, I need help with the part when there is a cube shaped stone with vines growing all over it. The message on the notepad ( page 17) says that the vines have to be cut down. How is it done? The hint does not help either.

Const_happy
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Const_happy on Mar 28, 10 12:10 PM
valeriepres wrote:Has anyone finished this game? If so, I need help with the part when there is a cube shaped stone with vines growing all over it. The message on the notepad ( page 17) says that the vines have to be cut down. How is it done? The hint does not help either.

You need to assemble the whole mechanism - put the tripod on the cube, insert lenses, pull in water (dew drops collected by the bowl), put the crystal on the top. And hit the warrior statue's spear several times with the stone.
Good luck

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 28, 10 12:26 PM
When my dead laptop was running games I had only 1 or 2 that did not cover the widescreen, and the res was right. The black borders seemed to be where normally the vista side bar would be taking space. Actually, the game was in right proportions. Sometimes I was sorry I had widescreen cuz when they do stretch across you may notice distortions. Like a round ball could be more of an oval. On my Virtual Villagers the little people looked fat and squatty and I was so used to their sizes on the reg pc monitor so many years. In fact, looked like they waddled like ducks when they walked.

What I also noticed was to stretch, you may lose a bit of top and bottom of picture just to have it reach the sides. In one game some bottom small items were off the screen or an icon. Only a few games lately have a widescreen option when you start and that seemed to help proportionately, at least I didn't have a comparison from running it on the other rig. That was a consideration getting another 15.6 widescreen rather than moving up to 17" which may be even more stretching altho I'd love a bigger one if that makes teeny objects bigger. I think that may cause the fuzzies too using a higher res.

But no, I wouldn't pass on a game that had the black borders on wide screen, I think the game itself is looking same as if you were on a reg screen. I think it may also fade colors a bit, at least games look prettier on my reg monitor with more color.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Mar 28, 10 12:35 PM
I agree with much (positive and negative) that has been said about this game. I don't buy too many HOG's any more because most of them are too frustrating for me. If I need to buy a handbook or look at the walkthrough regularly, I'm not having fun.

The biggest negative for me is the murky scenes with objects (especially the fractured ones) that I can barely see even after using a hint. (the ladder parts in the libraey would be a good example.) Still, many scenes are clearer and brighter.

The best positive for me is the mini-games, which have been great fun so far. I enjoyed the "password retrieval game," although I can see where some would find it frustrating.

Needing one more game for my card this month, I jumped in and got it, and so far, I'm still playing happily.

slow and borrrrring

[Post New]by paulalively on Mar 28, 10 12:46 PM
I am not an advanced gamer, but found this to be frustrating and boring to boot. I found myself not caring if I found this object or that to go back and perform certain tasks.

Hidden objects were easy to find as a rule. Not good or bad. Mini-games for the most part to me were okay, but not anything different.

Still looking for another great HOG!

BellaGirl27
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by BellaGirl27 on Mar 28, 10 12:52 PM
Const_happy wrote:
puzzledone wrote:....So, hesitate buying any more games til I find out if even my others will run on 64bit. Anyone running this on Win7, 64b?

I have i Win7 64b - it's ok, no technical problems at all.

me too, ran great!

Go to: