janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Broken Hour Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by janey3315 on Nov 24, 16 12:26 PM
Wow what a treat for the holidays...very well made game....I have ALL the MCF files games and must say I am enjoying this game and have become pleasantly engrossed in it and want more and more....it's got MCF vibe and some of the old trigger objects we all love about the original blockbuster MCF games...I haven't finished the game or even come close ...Purchased and downloading now...can't wait to get back to it!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Broken Hour Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by campfire29 on Nov 24, 16 9:50 PM
Sorry to say, I'm in the camp with- do not like. This might of been a great game under any other name but it certainly does not fit the style or graphics of a MCF. It is not what I expect. No challenge and quite boring (my opinion). Where exactly is this going was my first thought??Oh well..

2dogsx2
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by 2dogsx2 on Nov 25, 16 1:38 AM
I loved drawn! yes please create more of those games, off to play it now

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Nov 26, 16 9:29 AM
Another disappointing MCF game. Not even the same as the once well done MCF's of the past! Way to much conversing and the annoying pop ups to let you know you completed a task! I do not see how anyone would think this is a great MCF game? Another no buy for me.

marylou67
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by marylou67 on Nov 26, 16 12:05 PM
I'm with all of you. Two thumbs down. No longer a MCF game, just another HOG. I'm done with this series. When it becomes a MCF again, I'll return.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Nov 26, 16 4:54 PM
I have been waiting for a new Mystery Case Files game to come out, for a year,what a disappointment. Nothing like the old games, why do they even bother to call it a Mystery Case Files game. Don't like the puzzles and I didn't come across a super puzzle, which I really enjoyed in the last three Mystery games. What a let down, after waiting an entire year for this game.

kloanne
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by kloanne on Nov 27, 16 11:33 AM
I'm actually (and unexpectedly) enjoying this game. Last year's entries into the MCF series were so disappointing that I never replayed them (a first, as I had always replayed MCF games, the great ones many times, the so-so ones at least once). So I bought this with some trepidation, and so far it's quite fun. Dark, but not the done-to-death Dalimar story., or a pointless follow up to my beloved Dire Grove. Yes, the glorious puzzles of old are a thing of the past, but there are some good challenges to be had here. I'm particularly relishing the challenge to complete all HOPs in under 20 seconds. It is doable, but not on the first try (at least for me). So while I have a ways to go, and I guess could still be disappointed, I'm very happy at this point that I purchased Broken Hour. It's a very good game in its own right, and a respectable entry into the MCF series.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 28, 16 9:44 PM
I have enjoyed this game . I like in the extras where you can replay HOPS and puzzles so if I had used hints or skips this is where I can get the achievements . The last two puzzles though were nerve wrecking to me . I agree with others this is not a BFG MCF but all in all a good game . Thank goodness this one is new ! No returning to the past

Edited on 11/28/2016 at 9:44:59 PM PST

[Post New]by toomanycats on Nov 29, 16 8:39 AM
Along with everyone else, I miss the REAL Mystery Case Files Games. The ones that have come out in recent years are NOT the same. Yes, I was a Ravenhearst fan and a Madame Fate fan, but it's not just the storylines, it's the general ATMOSPHERE of the games that is missing...spooky, challenging, the music, the artwork, it was ALL superior to this even though perhaps not as sophisticated as today's games have become. Is this because EPIX took over? Unknown. I do know one thing: Big Fish needs to go back and review it's ROOTS to recover the magic and mystery of the old games. THAT is what we WANT. Not more and more puzzle difficulty or morphing objects. We want the original FLAVOR of the games, that has been sorely missing in recent years.

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Nov 29, 16 10:18 AM
To :

My review: *** stars out of *****.

1. This looks and plays like a Ravenhearst rehash: scary mansion, 19th century trappings, mad scientist, undead people, etc. I was hopeful that with a new title came a new theme, but sadly this feels like recycled material.

2. No outdoor locations to break the monotony. In fact, why does nearly every MCF game is confined to one location? The detective has a car, doesn't she (or he)? Have him or her travel between towns, cities, a wider area, which would result in a more interesting journey and story. A lot of other casual games do this.

3. The hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo storylines in the last few MCF games are getting tiresome. Instead of crazy bizarre scenarios, you need genuine *intrigue*. Instead of a hodgepodge of horror elements and supernatural mumbo-jumbo, you need to get back to the basics: get back to the roots of this series, which is a detective solving a crime. You need to hire a good mystery/detective story writers. I get the feeling the writers you have now have very little idea of what detective fiction is all about.

4. I was a fan of those Women's Murder Club games a few years ago. Maybe MCF needs to change course and adopt a similar style: a modern, human, realistic crime story that is infinitely more relateable and fresh than all the supernatural stuff we have seen in this series.

3. Newcomers to casual games may enjoy this game. But after over 10 years, many who play casual games are veterans now. The MCF games may still be selling, but the last several MCF games average about 3 stars only in customer reviews, and that should be a cause for concern.

4. I have loved all the "Goldberg machine" puzzles in the past and I'm glad they are back. I'm still surprised that other developers don't do this more. In fact, other than MCF games, I can't think of another game that has this kind of puzzles.

5. This is the first time in my decades of game-player life that I have to *cremate* a person in a game. I guess something that makes me remember this otherwise somewhat forgettable game is a positive thing.

6. For a game to be memorable, you need to give the player something memorable to do. As mentioned, all locations are indoors, and that cuts down on the variety of puzzles. There are FAR too many box-unlocking, key-finding, room-unlocking, furniture-watching, etc., things you only do indoors.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Nov 29, 16 10:21 AM
(CONTINUED)

7. Some people are against using live actors, but that is not an issue for me, provided that the result works well with the gameplay. If you use video clips done with live actors, you need a good director. If you use still photos of live actors, you need a good photographer. Here, you seem to be using characters drawn *to the likeness* of live actors. Which is fine, because other video games big and small have done this too. Here, the results are mixed. I like how the Meredith character is drawn and animated -- her villany is effectively depicted, so is her voice-acting. But other characters are not done too well, both in drawing and voice-acting. All this is subjective, of course -- and also secondary, since gameplay is more important.

8. The in-game map is just a crude drawing of the layout of the house that has no geographic realism at all about the actual layout. It is quite useless for navigation, and not so nice to look at as well. Past games have had very nicely drawn maps that was a pleasure to use. Fate's Carnival has a map that is actually a miniaturized replica of the whole place.

9. I have no problem with morphing objects that some people have. I actually wish you would do more with it. Make it a *primary* thing in some way, instead of just an optional, tacked-on thing. In Shadow Lake, for instance, there was a nice instance where a photograph morphed into another photograph of the same person at an older age. Now, that was a nice touch that could have added significance to the storytelling, if done well. Use morphing objects as part of the storytelling device, such as seeing glimpses of future or past with morphing objects, depicting ghostly visions via morphing objects, etc.

10. The idea of a rotating structure is nice. But it would make more sense in a tower or other types of cylindrical structure. Also, when you go up and down the structure, the room on the left is always the same "unfinished room", which is geographically inaccurate.

11. I didn't encounter any bugs, and that was great for a newly released game.

Edited on 11/29/2016 at 10:33:30 AM PST

[Post New]by sweetanni on Nov 29, 16 10:18 PM
Mystery Case Files are my favorite games. Now that the fix has been done for the secret doorway in Broken Hours, it's perfect. Thank you and please keep these games coming. They are so fun and interesting.

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Nov 30, 16 2:33 PM
Looked forward to this game, however, if this is how the rest of the future MCF games will be like, then I say stop now while you are ahead!. This one is not at all like previous MCF games. If it did not have MCF in the title I would not have even figured it was from that series. So sorry I purchased it. Live and learn I guess.

chipper23
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by chipper23 on Dec 2, 16 1:29 PM
Have to agree with many here...I had high hopes for this new MCF....But, as someone who has a long relationship with the MCF games( going back to the first game,) there was nothing in this game that really had the WOW factor...I haven't even played the bonus game yet ...I think I will re-visit Ravenhurst this weekend and re-play the original Madame Fate... Long gone are the days of getting on the forum in September and the anticipation of what the new title and theme would reveal...I think our detective may be ready for retirement unless something really special shows up in the next few games...Believe me, I never thought I would see the day when I would have to give a MCF game a "blah" review and it gives me no pleasure in doing so..

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Dec 3, 16 4:34 PM
As has been said here many times...this IS NOT a MCF game! There may be some elements that are similar to a MCF game but it is (majorly) missing the exciting atmosphere, graphics and uniqueness of this series that so many of us have enjoyed, and as the last poster mentioned, looked forward to each year with anticipation. I (regrettably) did purchase this game, hoping that I would find something to rekindle my interest in this series...it fell dead flat. Time to let it go BF

linssue55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by linssue55 on Dec 3, 16 9:33 PM
From the beginning of the very first MCF games, I have bought all of them. My favorites were "The Ravenhersts" and "Madame Fate." I bought this one after the trial hour hoping it would get better. Well, it did not! I am very disappointed for they are just not that good anymore. They lost the spark that the earlier ones had and the length is not as good as the older ones. I wait a whole year for the next game of MCF, so I really doubt if I will ever buy another.

They have to get MUCH better and go back to the suspense and graphics of the older games. Also, they should stick to the ORIGINAL story line of the first one, for I LOVED the story and suspense of it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 4, 16 8:31 AM
Following on from my review on page 1, I have now bought the CE in this weekend's sale.

Although I liked the demo enough to consider buying the game, having restarted the game today and having come a fair way so far, I have to say that I like this game a lot. It may not feel like an MCF game, but it's a great game nevertheless.

I also love all those riddles as part of the puzzles we have to solve. A very well done game.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Dec 6, 16 6:29 AM
FINALLY after the last 4 extremely disappointing MCF games, we get one that's closer to clever games in MCF games up to the last 2nd Ravenhearst game (though it is still VERY Eipix-y). No more long, boring cut scenes. No more 2nd grade or overly tedious puzzles. Even though I didn't use it, I liked that you can skip part of the long puzzles. The world was fleshed out, the story made a bit of sense and the graphics were nice. Good job, y'all!

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Dec 6, 16 7:00 PM
I like the cinematic quality of this game and the music; the storyline seems to me unfortunately all too familiar and the level of mayhem seems to be upped a notch. I am glad it's not as graphic as other HOGs. There are too many mini-games and not enough hidden object scenes to my liking--thank heavens for the skip button. One tier of mini-games is more than enough without prolonging them through tiers. The characters, artwork, voice overs are all well done. The storyline is confusing--perhaps I've not paid careful enough attention--like what actually did happen to the children??? What are the shockwaves actually doing? Anyone got a synopsis or decoder ring?

MCFs games always seem the most challenging to me--even on the easy level I have found them difficult. Better than some of the games in the series, not as good as some others--Return to Ravenhurst remains my favorite.

If you liked the Ravenhurst Saga you should like this game, if not play the demo. There is a lot familiar about it and bizarre tasks like (spoiler alert) making a murderess tea . . .

I have nothing against Epix--I haven't disliked what they have done with the other series--the artwork has been upped a notch from previous releases and I'm glad to have an immersive atmosphere without live actors and just animated characters. I was never fond on what I called the Roger Rabbit phase of this game genre's development and am glad they went to full and well done animation instead.

I will say the bonus chapter explains a lot--and I recommend getting the CE just so it all makes a bit more sense--at least as much sense as this story can make.

Note to developers, I dislike having to earn tokens to unlock extra content at the end of the game. Just playing through the game should be enough to access all the extra content. Please allow us to have our extra content in the way traditional for CEs--after all we paid for them.

Edited on 12/17/2016 at 6:47:49 PM PST

napapen
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by napapen on Dec 8, 16 12:09 PM
an excess of blood and guts. I wish I had passed this gory game up. The puzzles don't have all the instructions need to understand what is going on and I think it is too violent!!!

Go to: