recliner24
Salmon
Salmon
2,957 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Settlement: Colossus

[Post New]by recliner24 on Mar 31, 10 10:43 AM
I've tried a few Time Management games and did not care for them but this combination of building a settlement and HOG I find relaxing. It only took a few minutes to realize that if I'm sent out for wood I should pick up food or anything else I might spot. Still have 30 minutes on the trial. Am enjoying it very much wish I didn't have to wait until my april 8th billing date to buy it.

Edited on 03/31/2010 at 10:44:08 AM PST

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Mar 31, 10 11:33 AM
What a nice, relaxing little game. The few times I have tried a builder game, I got bored before the trial was over. I also don't like a bunch of little windows to open to do anything.

So this one has simple tabs to look at instead of windows. There isn't much time spent at the building area. There are hidden places - lake, cavern, forest, etc. And there are mini games of various difficulty.

Those used to this type game will find it too easy, but for me the hand-holding is just right.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Mar 31, 10 12:05 PM
I used to constantly play the Pharaoh, Cleopatra, Poseidon, etc games that are exactly like this (except they have wars).

I played this for 4 hours straight today while having transfusions and was totally enthralled.

It has enough extra's that kept me from getting bored.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 31, 10 12:19 PM
Did 45 minutess of the demo. Looks like the best of both worlds to me I like HOGS, IHOG Lite (no wandering or braindrain puzzles) and love all 3 of my Virtual Villagers games. Never play TMs or building games. Love beautiful graphics and no timer. This has it all.

Just uninstalled the Faerie one from yesterday, too busy and complicated to learn for me, and this will be a great fill in til VV4 releases April 21 on BF. Want to continue but guess I'll wait for an April Fools gift to self, use my March credit, or could wait for our punch codes. Either way it's a definate buy, and something to relax between hard ones.

Aren't the HOGs nice, the rain in the forest, the cavern, lake. Not sure what to look for but if starting out with a hint you see what it looks like. Funny, much like my sidetracking at home, i.e. as long as I'm here I may as well do this or that LOL. Then I forget what I'm supposed to be doing. Kinda threw me going back to forest, and more mushrooms were there and firewood and later bamboo or reeds and I thought I was to look for clay. I clicked on everything tho and I expected the mushrooms wouldn't move if I'm looking for clay. I'm used to sticking to a list on hogs. So that was fun. Task icon shows basket and I didn't see any, then realized I had some, find mushrooms to put in it dummy. (I'm old ) Just click on anything that looks out of place, may get a surprise bonus like scissors. No boomerang or cell phones (yet). Items fit tasks.

Have no idea how long this goes on for play or if you accomplish all tasks and game over. But it's the only mixed genre so far that I felt it was designed for me. And the puzzles, simpler and skippable. I had to skip the planks on the bridge one just to not use up demo time.

I guess I'd call it a good HOG, unlimited hints when charged, skip puzzles, and the building part more like puzzles, somethiing to do between search items.

Good one!

Oh, there was a wide screen option, but it didn't stretch on my 15.6 new laptop, and I still had black borders on each side, clear pix tho. I think it is a Win7 thing, seems most games went to wide screen stretch on other laptop with Vista. Haven't learned how to stretch pic on new laptop but no time yet to learn. Changing screen res made it even smaller. Stretching does seem to distort tho, so this is fine, just a bit disappointing. Also went from 32 to 64 bit if that has anything to do with it.

Still a buy.

Terri218
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

Just my opinion

[Post New]by Terri218 on Mar 31, 10 12:32 PM
yasure wrote:Don't you find it kind of boring? I mean, the hidden object scenes are somewhat the same over and over again.
Don't get me wrong, it's a "cute" game but I'm not much of a time management game player and that is the feel I get from this game.
I started to download this because it was listed as a Hidden Object game but as I was downloading, I checked out the walkthrough and didn't think it sounded like a Hidden Object game at all so I cancelled the download. I don't like time management games either and also find them boring. To each his own, I'm just wondering why it was labelled as a Hidden Object game.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 31, 10 12:54 PM
I LOVE THIS GAME! I am grateful that BF put this in the HOG category because I never play TM's. They are stressful for me.
The natures scenes are breathtaking. I don't mind going back to the same scenes because I just get to enjoy them all over again. Love the rain. The music is perfect.
The instructions and help built into the game is awesome. I am never lost.
What a beautiful game.
Thanks so much BF for bringing us this game. So relaxing.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Mar 31, 10 1:23 PM
I love the nature sounds, too. How about that crack of lightning! Tweak a frog yet? After a while you really start to juggle resources but no timer, no hurry. It's a very relaxing, very addictive game.

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Mar 31, 10 1:24 PM

What a boring game. All the time I have to pick the same items then another one is added. Lots of repetition. This game definitely not for me
Nouni

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 31, 10 2:12 PM
I have played (and bought) a few time managements games. they are ok until you get towards the end and then get so frustrating that I never do wind up finishing. This game is NOT like that at all. No rush and definitely has hidden objects to find. No not a Peace Symbol in 1912 but I found the branches and reeds quite challenging at first. I love my VV games and cannot wait for #4 to arrive. Am at a dilema as to weather to use my March credit (free game) or wait and use it for VV as my April game credit doesn't apply til the 28th!! Ahhh such problems I really did enjoy this very much.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Mar 31, 10 2:27 PM
A question: I'm no good at TM games but I did love My Kingdom for a Princess. Someone compared this to Virtual Villagers. I played a demo of one and all my people died. Since this doesn't have a timer, do your people die if you don't get all the stuff they need? If so, it's not for me. Otherwise it sounds intriguing.

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Mar 31, 10 2:27 PM
I can't wait to try this game, based on everyone's comments. I've never played a builder or TM game, so this should be interesting. Music is an important part of a game for me--i've bought a couple of games based on the music alone (Love Story Letters from the Past; Murder She Wrote).

MamaK9
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by MamaK9 on Mar 31, 10 3:43 PM
Please count me in with the ones who like this one
The graphics are fantastic and I love the hand "grabbing" at things but like some others, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to buy when it will count towards my April punchcard. I played the full trial hour and wanted more, but it's not like I don't have anything else to play - I kinda went over board with the Spring Fever special this weekend - but it was sooooo much fun!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 31, 10 5:33 PM
Lots of reviews and no real need to add mine except a quickie:

I am VERY impressed with this unique take on a Builder/Resource Management game mixed with IHOG. For me personally I can't remember a game doing this in this way before. Another thing I LOVE is with regular IHOGs I always have this little twitch about *why* am I searching for these things? As my hubby summed up in his first go at a an IHOG (Samantha Swift: Hidden Roses of Athena), "Why do I need these 8 beetles?" I love that this game requires me to collect items for a purpose. I also love that all games I've played requiring resource gathering it's been teeny minions sent off and the personal first person feel is great. I am foraging myself. Now that may be a bit unlikely as they keep calling me Emporer, but *shrug*

Graphics are insanely clear and gorgeous and lots of settings options, tho I stuck with defaults. I put my audio book on and played for hours without even feeling the time pass.

Only dislike was the terribly distorted main character in the cut scenes with his HUGE head and freakish short arms... I have a *mild* concern, as the demands of my settlement seem to be getting harder to fulfill, that I will not be able to keep up, but I'm trying to stay mellow about it all as no "Timer" per se.

Anyway, loved it, bought it, totally Poodlebear Approved!

(ya call that a quickie? )

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 4:56:50 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 31, 10 5:33 PM
lilvr re Virtual Villager games. They don't have timers. They have passage of time, real time. So when you leave, exit, you just go to Options, PAUSE THEN EXIT. When you feel like playing you open and it is just where you left it, nobody dead or starving or population out of hand etc. I only let it run on slow if I am waiting to gain points for a task, set them up and return in an hour or so while I had to do something else on pc or RL. I'm sorry if instructions don't make that clear. You can either leave the time progression going or stop it til later.

Maybe you'd like to try one another time, I keep a village going for months, just revisit and play when in the mood. I don't play TM or anything with timers, too much pressure, I play to relax.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 31, 10 5:37 PM
lilyr wrote:A question: I'm no good at TM games but I did love My Kingdom for a Princess. Someone compared this to Virtual Villagers. I played a demo of one and all my people died. Since this doesn't have a timer, do your people die if you don't get all the stuff they need? If so, it's not for me. Otherwise it sounds intriguing.

I don't know for sure if your people would die if you did not collect food for them but unlike some Resource Management Sim games you ARE responsible for collecting the food. Some games if you do not the people are somewhat autonomous and will do so on their own. However this game does not continue to play on it's own, so no worries that they will die if you can't get back to the game for a while.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Mar 31, 10 5:53 PM
bought this game today and enjoying all of it. It is a 1st for me to build stuff and you do learn some things when playing. Graphics are awesome and sound too. No pressure with timer and you can take all the time you want to do your duties. Thanks BF

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on Mar 31, 10 6:03 PM
Hi BF Flounder

Hope you don't only want our opinion of this one game,as who like to give you some feedback on some other games as you don't seem to have a dept we can make request,except CS who are great but can't let us know about up coming games

We seem to have to wait an awful long time for part 2 of many games & some really great games [like new Mystery P.I. ] are out on other sites weeks before BF get them lately were as they used to be first with the games

BF have had all the other P.I. series so why not this one ? have to wait for any new games though until it is the 1st of month in US as it is here [in Australia] as already have 4 coupons filled so hoping for some great games in April

Thanks for asking for our views how about you come on once a month so we can keep you up to date on games we will buy BF still the greatest game site

snaffins
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by snaffins on Mar 31, 10 6:27 PM
Love this game

Anam_Craite
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by Anam_Craite on Mar 31, 10 6:35 PM
No worries...no one dies!

All that happens if you run out of food, wood or what not is that you cannot progress to other tasks until you gather more food, wood or whatever item(s) are necessary. If you notice when you go to build or upgrade a building or even go to the farm to gather food, you need (for example) farming tools or an ax and so many wood as the prerequisite.

And don't worry, you never get stuck to where you cannot move forward...I finished the game , lol.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Mar 31, 10 6:46 PM
I think this is a fun, cute and very relaxing game! This totally surprises me, because I don't usually go for games like this. It's kinda a HOG and TM minus the time part? I can 't say because I do not do TM games at all. Doesn't matter. I found myself enjoying this. Since this isn't the kind of game I usually play, it took me a bit to figure things out, even with the hand-holding (sure am glad this is available on this game...LOL!).

The graphics are very pretty, and it's nice just to watch the fish swim around, or the dragonflies flitter by, and watch the raindrops as they bounce off leaves and roll down the trunks of the trees. Very relaxing indeed.

Bought it, which fills my punch card for March....teehee!

Go to: