Lynnet67
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by Lynnet67 on Apr 1, 10 8:59 AM
I found it a tad boring doing the same things over again too.

No buy for me either I`m afraid....

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by Faylyn on Apr 1, 10 9:42 AM
Just finished the demo and am on the fence about this game. I used hints a lot to simply move the game along. I don't like to use hints so that was a negative for me. I agree with Poodle's assessment about looking for so many different items just to be able to use an item that is sitting right next to the person (i.e. Mrs. Staff's glasses). I guess if you like the search within a search type game you will enjoy this. I would probably buy this game as a DD.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 1, 10 9:49 AM
Baybear wrote:Anyway it's nice to see Marty Feldman back again...

he he - That's exactly what I thought.

(This joke is for oldies only I think)

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Apr 1, 10 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the reviews...It pays to read these before buying....Saves me the trouble of even trying them....

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 1, 10 10:16 AM
I'm going to contradict myself here. There is always an exception to the rule. I don't like straight HOGS anymore.... except this one. I love ARTOGON games! I love the graphics, the cut scenes, the pleasant background music and the pop up circles for items to find. I particularly liked that not all the objects in a circle pop up at once. When you find one, another to find is added. And Marty is just icing on the cake!

This is a relaxing beautiful way to spend an afternoon. Definitely a buy for me.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Apr 1, 10 11:45 AM
I think this Crystal Portal is 'prettier' so far than the last one. That being said, I agree it is nonsense to look for something to find something that is right in front of you. Crystal Portal games are very short though. Relaxing, not difficult. OK if you just want to play a nice game for a bit and be done with it. Don't think I'll waste a credit on this one because looking at walkthrough I've already finished 1/2. Maybe a $2.99 game.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 1, 10 12:17 PM
As one who enjoyed the first Crystal Portal, I was anxious for this sequel to be released. Within fifteen minutes of playing, I knew it was a purchase for several of the positive remarks already posted.

Honestly, I doubt if a Strategy Guide is needed. Ditto for the walkthrough. But then everyone's ability on games is different and while this is easy for me, it may be challenging for another person. Especially, someone new to this genre or style of HOG.

As for it being "easy"... sometimes that is exactly what I need in a game. Like today. Having to euthanize my cat this morning, I was in need of something to ease my mind from the grief. Playing this game in half hour increments is helping me get through the day.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Apr 1, 10 12:22 PM
I'll give my "plus" thoughts about this game first: Beautiful, colorful graphics, pleasant music, lovely settings for the searches so far (and I did finish the entire demo this time), the promise of a reunion for which to look forward.

BUT... all that said, I don't think I'll be buying this one. Poodle's review hit the nail on the head regarding many of the things that I considered to be "minus" points in this game. I particularly found her to be "point on" with her remarks about the searches... i.e.: while searching for one circle of items, another will often pop up that is linked to another and still another. It did tend to be more of an annoyance than a pleasure after a short time... especially, when I discovered that it was going to happen in every area I got to in the demo.

I agree with some of the others who feel that fishies who love the straight HOGS might really love this game.

I was really hoping this would be one one of those "gotta have it" games. Guess I'm still disappointed about not being able to play the demo of Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse. From the reviews on it, I felt I'd love it, but I keep getting "An Exception Has Occurred!" message when I first open it. I've never been able to get even to the point where I can enter my name and hit "play".

Classicaljazz

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 1, 10 12:29 PM
I like this game, but I could be a little bit longer. I will buy it anyway, because the gameplay fun is the most important thing for me. Good graphic, interesting storyline. Thanks,

Edited on 04/02/2010 at 5:30:42 AM PST

[Post New]by birdlady101 on Apr 1, 10 1:46 PM
i always enjoy these kind of games but I must agree with most of the comments...can be boring...really no challenge connected with it...which there could be...I bought it but if the sequel is like this one then I won't buy it.

Lou

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Apr 1, 10 2:09 PM
I LOVED the first Crystal Portal, and replayed it over and over. This one, so far, isn't quite as good, but it's a keeper for me anyway. If you read the reviews, people are definitely split on this one - so BF - it just goes to show you - keep sending out a variety of games. Thanks! I'm buying.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Apr 1, 10 2:33 PM
Although I enjoyed the first one, I agree with Poodlebear as well. I got bored and when demo ended, I pretty much got all I can get out of the game. I will probable buy it if it becomes a DD just to add it to my collection for games to play when you need to just zone out. cheers everyone and happy gaming.

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 2:33:22 PM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 1, 10 2:42 PM
I love the graphics but like many others, the game is a bore. I have never been a fan of bubbles and that is all this one is. Bubble after bubble after bubble with not variation.

Since I already have 4 games on my want list from March, I will take a pass on this one. Bummer, wanted to like this game with such nice graphics.

A Seattle thumbs down for me.

NBliving
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by NBliving on Apr 1, 10 3:01 PM
DLing now, But must say, usually I listen to Poodlebear, that woman knows her games! Wish me luck

Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by 5352 on Apr 1, 10 3:34 PM
I'd love to play this game but am only 10 minutes in and am so frustrated.!! When I try to move an object to join the main one e.g. the large cauldron - trying to move the items needed to it - I can't grab and move the item. It highlights, then goes away then highlights again and then moves around the screen by itself~! If I do manage to move it to the main item it takes 10 or 12 tries.

Help!

Barney

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Apr 1, 10 4:27 PM
to smallhaven: I know how you feel. I had to euthanize our cat of 21 years. She was a great cat. To this day 15 years after, I still miss her. You are in my thoughts today.Take care.

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Apr 1, 10 4:29 PM
This type of game has lost it's appeal to me. I do worry that I am getting harder and harder to please. I keep looking for that one "different" type of game. I wish there were more like "zombies",,can't remember the full name of it, but, man, was it fun and different.

Happy gaming to all

[Post New]by gooddragon38 on Apr 1, 10 5:15 PM
This was just what I needed for today; not feeling well so this game with it's relaxing music and easy game-play was the right speed. It did get annoying on occasion when you think you'll just pick something up and you have to search for 10 more things. I guess for me it's just the kind of mood I'm in that is a good indicator of if I will buy a game or not and as I said, this was a good one for my mood.

Oh, and Marty Feldman's Igor (that's pronounced "eye"gor!) LOL!!!

[Post New]by snow2mom on Apr 1, 10 6:48 PM
I love the Crystal Portal series, but this one was extremely short and too easy. I was very surprised how quickly I got to the end of this game. Graphics are still beautiful, though.

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Apr 1, 10 7:29 PM
I played for 35 minutes and definitely didn't meet my expectation.
It is not that bad and not that great. What a confusion!!
Well my conclusion is:
... It is a fun game just to kill time.
... Not interesting.
... Lacks the challenging factor.
... I won't get it for $6.99 but maybe on DD
Nouni

Go to: