ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Lamp of Aladdin

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 2, 10 9:12 AM
This game presented no technical glitches for me, and I'm rather enjoying the combination of an IHOG at the beginning of each chapter with "make a path" Match-3 in between. The building component is just story, you don't actually build anything, it all runs on its own. Yes, it's a rather easy game, but it's nicely made and I like the oversized game boards. I'll give it a "Lisa-approved" for children and not too demanding seniors like me, and (out of a possible 3).

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 2, 10 9:13 AM
It reminded me of 4 Elements, too. I absolutely love the relaxing soundtrack, the characters are cute, and with the "timer off" option, it isn't stressful. I'm not a huge fan of M3s, but this one goes in the maybes folder.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 2, 10 10:13 AM
My taste in Match 3's runs more to Big Kahuna Reef (still hoping for a Part 3), where as levels get harder, you contend with locks and such, where you have
to plan several move in advance.

Do loveHOGS and IHOGS, so decided this was worth a try.

The graphics are beautiful and I did demo on timed tho I usually prefer
relaxed. The Match 3 is kind of cute and had there been more hidden object,
it would have been an immediate buy. As it is, it goes on my "maybe" list
for when I need a relaxed beauty of a game.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Apr 2, 10 3:13 PM
I played the Beta of this game and, even though I normally don't care much for match-3 games, I did like this one because you can play without a timer. I also like the IHOG scenes. It's bright and colorful, too-an added plus. I had fun playing it.

onemeg
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by onemeg on Apr 2, 10 3:23 PM
Ok whether it is in the category of M3 games or not, it says *this* on the description:

"Catch a glimpse of a world where dreams come true and fairytales are real in Lamp of Aladdin, a unique Hidden Object game!"

This is why people are saying it shouldn't be called an HOG, because it IS called an HOG in the description. Obviously if you look at the screenshots you can see that it is an M3 as well, but stop giving people a hard time - they read the description.

P.S. I like the game And sorry if this post sounds mean but I get tired of people calling others out on every little thing on these forums!

churly72
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by churly72 on Apr 2, 10 3:23 PM
great game, i like it..no problems at all...

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Apr 2, 10 3:50 PM
Really cute Match 3 game with a teensy weensy bit of HOG.

JDelB
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by JDelB on Apr 2, 10 4:31 PM
Where was the challenge ? No opportunities for strategy at all. Nothing to this game.

knitnow
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Lamp of Aladdin has pretty dim bulb

[Post New]by knitnow on Apr 2, 10 5:15 PM

This game would not make my Top Ten Match Three list... probably not even the top 20, 30....

visually, it's a nice game, so it's too bad the game is pretty boring and without challenge. while you can 'earn' a bonus (of sorts) there is no strategy as to how you use them... just catch a parrot and he clears the path at the appropriate time, or get the rugs to move to the next stage in a level.

guess i'd say it could be a good game for kids, but i think most kids would also find it lacking.

I'd rate it a snoozer

C'mon BigFish, can you find a game like Unwell Mel, Heroes of Hellas... or, a different take from the 'slide to match' games.... something like Land of Runes, Arabesque, or DaVinci's Secret ? ? Please. ....

brewcan1
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by brewcan1 on Apr 2, 10 5:15 PM
Not a true HOG..Will not buy.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 2, 10 5:33 PM
INSANELY high production value on a gorgeous Match 3 with Timer Optional and some nice little FrOG rounds thrown in. I Beta'd this one and LOVED it and bought it immediately and was very happy I did.

I do not play Match 3s to challenge me. I play them to relax while I listen to audio books since apparently that uses two separate parts of the brain (I can't play HOGS with word lists while I listen). As I played I figured many hard core M3 fans would find it too simple, tho I have no idea how aggressive the Timer is when on. The Bonus Timed levels at the end of each Chapter were very generous in time and I had no problem at all getting all trophies. I, personally, like all the animation stuff and explosions and what not going on when I play M3s. It's one of my criteria, actually. If the tiles just dropped into place and nothing else happened I'd tire quickly of what I was looking at. Which is another of my criteria when playing M3s - I want pretty to look at and this game has that in Spades, with the background changing often enough (each chapter) to suit me.

My only negatives were the terrible voice acting (turned off immediately) and the somewhat motion sickness inducing review of the playing field at the beginning of each board. Difficultly could have bumped up more at the end by addition of more tiles or blockers of some kind, but I'll always opt for too easy over too hard any day. It's also a bit short for an M3 though I still played it for like 8 hours to the finish.

Poodlebear Approved!

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 2, 10 8:08 PM
I enjoyed this game very much. It's definitely a match 3 but with the occasional hidden object scene thrown in.

The graphics are beautiful. Clean and clear. The tiles move easily and you can continue to make matches while new tiles fall - a MUST for M3 games, IMO.

It's very much like an easier version of Jewels of Cleopatra. I would have liked to see some obstacles thrown in the way to make the game harder.

I played in timed mode but was glad to see an untimed option for those who want it. Glad to see more developers are paying attention to our requests for both options.

I had to stop playing so DH could have a go at it but I've already put it on the "must buy" list.

Oh, and thanks to all the fishies who mentioned similar games. I've downloaded a bunch of other demos because of you. Yaaaay!!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 2, 10 8:10 PM
onemeg wrote:Ok whether it is in the category of M3 games or not, it says *this* on the description:

"Catch a glimpse of a world where dreams come true and fairytales are real in Lamp of Aladdin, a unique Hidden Object game!"

This is why people are saying it shouldn't be called an HOG, because it IS called an HOG in the description. Obviously if you look at the screenshots you can see that it is an M3 as well, but stop giving people a hard time - they read the description.

P.S. I like the game And sorry if this post sounds mean but I get tired of people calling others out on every little thing on these forums!

Amen .. ... Frankly what type of game it is, is not really important .. what is important is if you like it or not. I liked it when it beta tested it several weeks ago. With what time BF gave me to play, I tried both timed and un-timed. Both were fun.

Also read what Poodlebear wrote ... great comments .. Thanks Poodlebear.

Thanks BF for another good game.

Lamp o Aladdin gets a Seattle thumbs up.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Apr 2, 10 11:17 PM
I played the free version for 10 minutes before i had enough. it was a waste of time to even download it!!! don't even bother. one of the worst decisions of the past few months!!!

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Apr 3, 10 6:13 PM
As an "Hidden Object" game (as stated in the BigFish blurb on the download page) it's a miserable failure. There are 7 chapters, and exactly 7 simple object searches, at the beginning of each chapter. The remaining 6 levels are all Match 3. There are 7 levels in each chapter for a total of 49 levels...soooo, that would be 14.29% object search and 85.71% match 3. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's a duck. Which, in this case would mean it's a Match 3 game, NOT an Hidden Object game.

The graphics are Disney movie quality, the sound and effects are equally top-notch, great take on the Jewel Quest type match 3 mechanics, outstanding production, overly easy except for kids, BUT it's NOT an Hidden Object game.

Who's to blame for tricking me into wasting my time downloading an "Hidden Object" demo, that's actually a Match 3 demo? Are object searches so popular that no other genre has a snowball's chance in hell?

I'm not upset because it's a Match 3 game, I'm upset because I was expecting an Hidden Object game and got bupkus. Did BF hire someone new in marketing, trying to maximize sales, at all costs? Thank the heavens customer service is still top drawer.

Anyway, no sale on this overly easy Match 3 with the token "object search" injections.

Of late, I've noticed a decided decline in the quality of offerings. The promised 1 game a day is now up to 2 or 3 mostly forgettable titles. What's up with that? Pretty difficult to buy anything, if most of the new stuff is mis-marketed or absolute dreck.

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Apr 4, 10 2:27 AM
I was also a beta tester, and I see that others have picked up on my main two comments: an over-helpful genie, and the exit screen. The question about screensaver is wrongly placed: the Yes/No is the reply to the Exit command, and the screensaver is a separate, tick-the-box question. Leave the box unticked, hit "Yes", and you're out.

Enjoyable game though. Have just downloaded the demo, hopefully I'll be able to get a bit further than the Beta test, then I'll decide whether to buy or not. Like my M3s untimed though, and preferably not requiring deep thought!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 5, 10 10:25 AM

I tested this game too. I have no match 3 games on my PC as I'm not a fan of them but since it was sent to me to test I gave it a try...and to my surprise I absolutely loved it!! There are elements of fragmented hidden objects, as well as what was (for me) an unusual take on the match 3 gameplay. It seemed extremely well thought out and every care taken to keep to the Aladdin theme. Loved flying about on my magic carpet to get to the next level :-) This will be the first Match 3 to make it onto my BFG games hub or anywhere on my PC!!

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Apr 6, 10 4:25 PM
bribling wrote:If you don't like a Match 3 with a bit od platform/arcade and TM thrown in with an occasional IHOG then this game is not for you.

It has beautiful graphics, a good story, humor and seems well crafted. I like Match 3s and I like IHOGs and I even like platforms but I just don't want to play them all at once. I don't care much for TMs so I have no interest in building a castle or restoring a ship or beating a timer. If this had been strictly an IHOG with maybe an occasional very short M3 or other minis I would have bought it in a flash. As it is, I'll regretfully pass on it.

That says it all for me, unfortunately I have already bought it. Bored to pieces. I won't be buying these type of games again. However the game is great as stated above for those who like this kind.

PS: the further you go, the more tiny the hidden objects become. Too much of a strain for me.

Edited on 04/06/2010 at 4:30:51 PM PST

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Apr 10, 10 2:32 AM
I don't normally like Match 3 games- the only one I ever finished is Cindy's Travels, however, now I can say I finished 2 match 3 games

I really enjoyed Aladdin Must be something about the little person running around my M3 board that makes all the difference

oh - and a relaxed mode also makes all the difference too!

Edited on 04/10/2010 at 2:35:02 AM PST

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 11, 10 5:12 PM
Someone already said it, but it's like a disney cartoon which means excellent graphics! I like the hammy dialog and Aladdin. It's not a TM game at all but a really fun Match 3. I'm easily amused I guess because I get a kick out of watching the sword, flying carpet and parrot. And it's a break from the regular match-3 in that we at least get to follow a road, reminescent of Hidden Wonders of the Deep which I love, something about those crabs!

Having said all that, I am so far behind in playing all the games I already bought, (30 in April alone), that I'm going to do some catching up first. It's definitely on my to buy list though.

Go to: