Too frustrating to be fun

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

Re:Too frustrating to be fun

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 8, 10 11:58 AM
That the game seems to lack instructions and is frustrating for several fishies is a fact. I really doubt IQ has anything to do with this. I am not discussing what my IQ is, but despite I got past the faucet stage of the game I thought the "logic" hidden behind some of the puzzles was nothing to die for: Many things you could get by simply clicking around enough times, not even thinking. Others you would have expected to be of more complicated solving yet the "logic" was fit for a 5thgrader (in pyramid f.e.: the tile organizing puzzle or when you were forced to wipe the pyramid wall, but just by looking at the chest's images there was little need of the "clue")
Besides, probably most fishies around have enough experience in similar games as to have their IQ's playing a conditioning role here. If you get involved in the story, if you like the graphic work, if you have no sight trouble (in those games the items are too small or blurry), if you have enough patience, and even if you have luck when clicking around will probably be just as important. Even sometimes -though not in this game, as far as I went- the brightness of your screen may determine whether you advance in a game or get stuck! (and despite someone may say IQ may play a role in deciding to change the brightness level, in some screens you just can't turn it up enough for some games as some people say in other game forums )
Personally I thought the game was not too hard, maybe a bit lacking of instructions, absolutely lacking of a storyline (as far as I got in the trial at least), it was not engaging nor too amusing, and not too outstanding in anything. It was ok to try it. But -for me- there are more challenging and more entertaining (and/or more beautifully developed games) out there.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Mar 5, 11 11:49 PM
I think how well someone does at solving these kind of adventure puzzles usually has to do with tenacity, interest and past experience at solving similar puzzles. The game will hold the interest of some and others will just find it frustrating and unclear. Some of us actually like frustrating and unclear . It's the uncertainty of the solution that makes searching for it so engaging.

Libtard55
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Libtard55 on Apr 16, 11 3:48 PM
kkbodine wrote:I agree...there is not enough instruction with this game to make it completely enjoyable for me. When I am stuck or need some direction, it is nice to be able to have the choice to use it. When there is little or no interactive help, it becomes irritating and frustrating to not be able to progress without accessing help from the forums or other means. That being said, it is a beautiful game with very nice graphics and music. If there were more help options and direction, I would buy but I am going to have to pass on this one. Please BigFish...more games like MCF Return to Ravenhurst!! I have been waiting sooo long for a good hidden object game.

I bought it as a $2.99 game and think it was a complete waste of Cents. So I probably will delete it.

Libtard55
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

Too frustrating to be fun

[Post New]by Libtard55 on Apr 18, 11 2:03 AM
mhatfie wrote:Good graphics. No indication of where to use items that you collect was frustrating. I like the gears indication that most games have so at least you know where to use the items. Alot of going back and forth. I think they are doing less so that a short game lasts longer. I do not mind having to think, but when it gets too confusing it becomes work and takes away from what a game is supposed to be about - fun.

I had trouble too, but I persisted, and I just completed the game. What a surprizing ending! It was a cool wonderous ending! And it makes the whole story of the game make sense!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 5, 13 7:52 PM
Yup, that was a weird little game but I finished it with only one peek at the walkthrough (gears puzzle - it was backwards, which threw me off, and when I did "get" it the gears wouldn't stick to the puzzle). I'm not sorry I bought it - not a high IQ person but I think having to sit and think things out logically helps prevent brain rot.

The graphics were lovely, Dominic Crane didn't irritate me too much, and the puzzles were mostly easy once I figured out what was needed. The only really bad thing about the game were the ambient sounds - intermittent drumming like a dripping tap - drove me around the bend.

The end was very abrupt - use the colour-coded keys, the door opens, a pretty girl answers, thanks and it's over.

The second Dominic Crane game got even worse reviews than this one which inspires me to download the demo and see just how bad it is, hee hee.

Go to: