Arien1
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Arien1 on Mar 24, 17 3:42 PM
I really liked this game at first, having enjoyed the demo, but I agree with some previous posters that all of Eipix's games are starting to feel the same. It was better than Key to Ravenhearst and Ravenhearst Unlocked (which were disappointing travesties in my opinion), but nowhere near as good as the first three Ravenhearst games. I liked the graphics and the voice acting. I liked the creepy atmosphere. I found most of the puzzles to be pretty easy and not much of a challenge. I found all but 4 of the puzzle pieces and if you go into the extras section after beating the game it will take you right to each scene to find the rest of them (and the reward was not worth it to me). I think I only found two morphing objects and I'm not sure what the point of the trophies was. Again, you can go to that section in the extras area after the game and it will take you right to all of them. They're in plain view. No challenge there.

I thought I understood the storyline until I got to the end, then I was confused as to exactly what was going on. I never did understand what Richard was trying to accomplish. I don't want to give away spoilers, but something he said towards the end of the game in regards to the Master Detective just didn't make sense to me and was never really explained.

I also felt the bonus game was way too short, made no real sense and added absolutely nothing to the overall game.

I keep buying these MCF games, but I don't know why since I've been disappointed with most of them since Eipix took over (I liked Broken Hour okay, but still nowhere near as good as the first three Ravenhearst games). I'm going to think long and hard next time another MCF game comes out before I buy it. I think I'm pretty much done with this series, which makes me sad.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by lvfao on Mar 24, 17 3:52 PM
so. i played the entire demo. not impressed, not buying. i know MCF and this is no MCF. very disappointed,
dark blue murky graphics are so last century. storyline is just ok. puzzles are boring and the directions are vague and misleading. i played on "insane" and yet there were still sparkles, etc. the dialogue is meh. no where did i get the sense i was playing anything but the usual Eipix game with their silly 'helpful' messages from all the other games. so disappointing....
going back to my purchase history to d/l a real MCF game to supplant the memory of this boring irritating game. think it will take RTR or Madam Fate. maybe both!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Mar 25, 17 2:50 AM
I was sooo looking forwards to the next MCFs, but was thoroughly disappointed in entire game. I paid extra for CE to get the bonus chapter, and it was really disappointing as took just 15 minutes to complete.

I'm bored with Eipix games, as same game with different story line. The HOPs were the best thing about it, and zero bugs/glitches on my Mac.

MCF used to be the best game series ever, but this game just left me cold.

I can see a lot of work went into this game, but felt like all the other Eipix games whereas it should be something special as we've come to expect from MCFs.

Nefersitra
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Nefersitra on Mar 25, 17 9:34 AM
This game was a huge improvement on the last 3 MCFs and I was intrigued by the storyline.

Why Richard was summoning Ankou wasn't very clear. Was he in love with her? Was he trying to die? Was he just as crazy as a bag of cats? The short bonus game might actually lend a lot of weight to the "Richard is insane" theory because that had, IMO, an incredibly confusing story - at first I was Richard, then I seemed to be someone else with Richard in my head, then I was definitely Richard again with an evil Richard in my head and then the bonus game ended.

I did like that the developers had made the effort so the animated Alison was recognisable as the actress from the live action bits of Dire Grove and I liked the Master Detective's observation that he/she was sick of crows when I clicked on one (it looked like Alistair's Raven and I wanted to sure it wasn't).

I'm also a little unsure - is the Master Detective now immortal?

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

Not for me

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Mar 25, 17 1:21 PM
I played through the demo and am glad it's over. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what to do with the mechanical quill. The hint kept pointing me back to it and I saw the "+" over it but I had nothing in my inventory to add to it. The strategy guide was no help either as I didn't have the phoenix key so I was stuck there until the demo ended. Luckily for me, I only had six minutes left so I just let it run out. The story was boring and the graphics were subpar especially with the character animations. Purple was all over every scene. I didn't like Broken Hour and I don't like this one either. I have all the other MCF games except for the first two. I was so hoping this game would bring the series back up to what it originally was but sadly, it will never come to that.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Mar 25, 17 1:58 PM
Nefersitra wrote:This game was a huge improvement on the last 3 MCFs and I was intrigued by the storyline.

Why Richard was summoning Ankou wasn't very clear. Was he in love with her? Was he trying to die? Was he just as crazy as a bag of cats? The short bonus game might actually lend a lot of weight to the "Richard is insane" theory because that had, IMO, an incredibly confusing story - at first I was Richard, then I seemed to be someone else with Richard in my head, then I was definitely Richard again with an evil Richard in my head and then the bonus game ended.
*snip*
I'm also a little unsure - is the Master Detective now immortal?

**SPOILERS BELOW - stop reading now if you haven't finished the game and bonus game**

This is my take on it. Yes, he's was in love with Ankou. No, he didn't want to die. Yes, he was as crazy as a bag of cats. He was trying to bring Ankou into this world permanently. The more virtuous the soul, the longer she could stay in this world. So, he chose the master detective as his perfect victim because of all the good s/he has done. I think his plan was that she would stay in this world forever and he and Ankou would rule the earth together. Of course, everyone on the planet would have to die, but hey, small price to pay for love, right?

Ankou, however, was not as crazy as a bag of cats and clearly didn't want to stay here or be saddled with Richard forever. Remember he took a feather from her. She didn't give him one. Ankou gave the master detective a feather so s/he could free her.

In the bonus game, I think Richard started out as a perfectly good man, even after he got the feather. I think he just took it because he was reaching out to the being in front of him and grabbed at the first thing he touched to see if she was real or a hallucination.

When he went in search of Alden (right name?), I think he was just seeking information. Alden was the crazy one. I think he was dying and took the feather to save himself from death. I also think he was the one who was in love with Ankou. He'd been studying her for years. I don't know how he ended up inside of Richard - maybe from his alchemical studies? But somehow, after he took Richard's feather, he and Richard were both in the same body and Alden eventually won out in the struggle for control.

No guarantee that any of that is right, of course. It's just how I put the story together.

gbanjs
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by gbanjs on Mar 25, 17 3:14 PM
Thank you burf90! I was struggling to comprehend the bonus chapter story. It was too short and just plain weird. Ever since Eipix took over MCF, things aren't quite the same. The story line and the puzzles are the strongest elements of this series and I don't think they've quite got the hang of it yet. This game was fine, but pretty easy compared to the previous games. The puzzles weren't that hard. I remember how difficult they used to be and was disappointed. The story line was actually pretty interesting until the end.
The Ravenhearst story line was epic, but its over, so move on people. Eipix needs to go back to making each series more individualized, not so cookie cutter. Finding the puzzle pieces and morphing objects was pretty easy, which wouldn't be a bad thing if the puzzles were harder to solve. I have to mention the map--yeah, don't do that again.
For the record, I buy all HO CE games, irregardless of who makes them, etc. Love old school games with no walkthroughs--thank god for the hint/skip buttons.

Edited on 03/25/2017 at 3:16:18 PM PST

[Post New]by baglady159 on Mar 25, 17 7:54 PM
I have to agree with the majority of the fishies. I have been disappointed with the MFC games for some time now (since Eipix took over), but keep buying to see if they get better. I bought this one too and am in chapter 4 but I have totally forgotten what the story is about. I'm only playing on because I am a puzzle lover. I may have to stop buying this series which is really disappointing .
One thing I did happen to notice was a little bit of info in one of the HO games. Was this a little hint as to the next MCF game.

Spoiler
I saw a little note that said Madam Fate's Carnival had been sold and was it possible the carnival would reopen. Hmmm...was that a hint?

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Mar 25, 17 8:03 PM
Bored / Purchased / Played / Finished / Still Confused

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Mar 25, 17 9:09 PM
Spoilers if you haven't played the bonus game yet!

Thanks Burf90 for trying to make sense of the bonus game. I don't know that I believe it, but at least it was a try (more than the story writers gave us).

I still don't know who the music guy was, who wanted to poke out who's eyeballs, or who killed whoever else. Or why. I mean, if Alden wanted to be in "my" (who was I, Richard?) body, why did he try to poison it?

Or if the Master Detective is immortal now, or if the "Madam Fate" reference was a reference to the past or the future.

And, I'm kind of sad because it was an okay game, but there just wasn't any MCF fun in it. I wanted crazy puzzles and some humor. Or maybe even something new. A player can dream, right?

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Mar 25, 17 10:43 PM
Again, **SPOILERS BELOW!** Don't read if you haven't played the bonus game.

mostly_nameless wrote:I still don't know who the music guy was, who wanted to poke out who's eyeballs, or who killed whoever else. Or why. I mean, if Alden wanted to be in "my" (who was I, Richard?) body, why did he try to poison it?

Or if the Master Detective is immortal now, or if the "Madam Fate" reference was a reference to the past or the future.

I think the music guy was just someone else that Arden (I finally looked up his name!) planned to do away with to bring Ankou. Same for the poor schmuck in the wardrobe that Richard/Arden did apparently kill at the end. I thought it was Richard saying that he wanted to poke out Arden's eyes, once he got free.

My take on the poison was that it was some kind of concoction to make it easier to take over Richard's body. It didn't matter that the body was poisoned, just that it was still alive, because Richard/Arden had the feather and couldn't die anyway. If Richard died first, oh well - another moment for Arden to see his beloved Ankou.

I think the point of the bonus game was to explain how Richard became so evil. Poorly done, though.

I don't know if the master detective gets to keep the feather or not. I sort of thought that Ankou might have used it (or taken it in exchange) for restoring Dreadmond.

As for Madame Fate, I sort of thought that the abandoned park was supposed to be Fate's Carnival. There was a newspaper clipping saying it had a new owner. I thought that it might be Richard, using it for his nefarious plans for the master detective.

On the review side, I actually enjoyed this game. I'm probably in the minority but I'm getting sick of the Ravenhearst storyline. I thought The 13th Skull was the best MCF game produced in a long time and I had hoped to leave Ravenhearst behind and start the master detective on a series of completely new - and unrelated - cases. Sadly for me, they just keep going back to Ravenhearst. (Just die already, Alistair!)

So if Eipix is really going to take us to new places, I'm all for it. I just hope they put more thought into the bonus game next time. I have a pretty creative imagination, but I shouldn't have to fill in that many blanks.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Mar 26, 17 12:18 AM
I was so glad that Eipix came along and saved us older (started with Huntsville, which is still one of my favorites) MCF fans from more rebooted games and finally ended the boring, ridiculous, went on way, way WAY too long Ravenhearst business (RTR was great and should have been the end of that storyline, IMHO). I even liked Broken Hour, mainly because it WAS separate from all the other games and was a fresh plot. But this one I'm not so positive about.
First we have the Master Detective be so dumb as to start a machine that LOOKS like it's built to doom the world on the word of the rich guy in town. Surprise, dear MD has been tricked. (First 15 minutes of game, so not really a spoiler, as everyone who plays will see this coming a mile away.)
Then we have the failure of an attempt at smart-aleck MD internal dialogue. How did the BETA testers (if not anyone else) miss the remark at the beginning about something being "chunk-change", when it's obviously meant to be "chump-change" (American slang meaning "a pittance"). Or did the devs just not care at that point?
And I'm not crazy about the first super-puzzle. I'm sure that there is something about English money I don't understand that is paramount to solving it.
So I've played about 20 minutes and am completely uninterested in playing more.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Mar 26, 17 4:57 AM
Like many of the reviewers, I too hoped for more from this game. It was far too easy. Not up to the challenge level of former MCF games. Short and easy. I did not skip any puzzles and still finished in a day.

arfur99
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by arfur99 on Mar 26, 17 11:28 AM
I have to agree that this is not a bad game and I purchased it. However, I feel that the developers are/have moved away from the MCF plot/storyline. I'm also playing again Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst  and this to me, IMHO, is what the Ravenhearst genre was all about. They seem to be trying to put too much tech stuff in and have shot themselves in the foot. Would it be too much to ask for them to return to the BFG original story and bring back the games that were so much fun to play. But again, do they even take notice of what, we their customers want?0

[Post New]by EccentricChick on Mar 26, 17 11:40 AM
While I was glad for us to finally move away from the Ravenhearst story line, I was a bit confused about this one.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Not necessarily the best MCF game (you can pry the 13th skull from my cold dead hands), bust not the worst (Shadow Lake got that honor for me). Some of the graphics were uh... crappy. Which is also my main problem with Eipix taking over the Dark Parables franchise (I digress though). The plot kind of felt over used, another person searching for immortality, been there seen that with the Dalimar line thank you very much. And saw a bit of it in Broken Hour as well.

I will give them this however, I think this is the first time I have seen an antagonist actually try to summon a deity of death because they were infatuated/ in love with them (?).

It was the end that confused me though. Like, did Richard engineer all those cases for the MD? Or did he just keep a close eye on them throughout their life? Why did he summon Ankou? Was it love or was it so he could finally die?

And can someone explain the plot of the bonus game to me? I feel like Richard started out good, but had a psychotic break or something. Maybe because he took the quill from Ankou instead of it being freely given to them like the MD?

[Post New]by plainjane1 on Mar 26, 17 4:23 PM
I always looked forward to MCF but have been very disappointed with the last several games. They were always different and fun but are now just average. I like when they used real people. The mini games are fun and challenging and I like when they subtly make reference to prior games. I hope they go back to the way they were.

am100other
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by am100other on Mar 26, 17 4:26 PM
Playing my latest installment of the MCF Series (albeit 8 months earlier than i am used to) however at least it works on Windows 64bit unlike my favorite Dire Grove but i feel the storyline was a bit confusing as well as the tone and color being very drab and dark most of the scenes i had trouble trying to see in the corners of the screen. Also the graphics of the characters seem a bit bedraggled and cartoony , not Lip Synching or Live Action like most of the previous games.
The Achievements seem a little strange because this involved skipping 3 puzzles and resetting puzzles 5 times which is the exact opposite of how i like to play them. Also the Achievements for Watching the credits doesn't seem to work if you're playing through a current game and trophies are nowhere to be seen (Haven't reached the end yet so maybe that will come later).
One thing i do love however is the Reference to Breaking Bad. As soon as i seen the Achievement before i started playing i recognized the quote immediately and wondered what it meant in the game, i laughed when i seen the
Spoiler

Pizza on the roof of the cabin i thought Walter White in Breaking Bad!

Spoiler(just incase you are still playing )
Thank You for this game typical i used a free collectors coupon the day before it came out, then the day after The Black Veil came out, There was a buy 1 get one for 1.99 sale! Typical to miss out all the time on these deals! Anyhow i love the game although i would like to see more Madame Fate or Ravenhearst Games with the door puzzles etc i love those.
Kind Regards

Edited on 03/26/2017 at 4:30:20 PM PST

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Mar 26, 17 9:44 PM
This is so ironic--in a way. I had cancelled my membership with BFG after many years and scores of games purchased. My membership was to become effective tonight at midnight. THEN I see a MCF released on Saturday (surprise!), so now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing by saying "good-bye" to BFG due to lack of high-quality, fun, challenging, and innovative game play. So...I played the demo thinking if this is good, I'm not leaving. After finishing the demo, I'm going ahead and cancelling my membership for now. What is going on in this game, I wonder. It's nothing I'm remotely interested in. There were some fairly good puzzles--especially the one in the grand hall involving the 3 cabinets, and I enjoyed them as I'm a puzzle person. But then I found the "quill", and I immediately knew--another freaking gadget!!!! For me with the inclusion of a "magic" gadget, MCF is officially dead. It was good while it lasted. As the immortal Freddie Mercury once replied about how he wanted to be remembered, he said "dead and gone". MCF is dead and gone. As I've read all the previous reviews, I agree that I'd be willing to pay full price for a game as wonderful as "DRAWN". Very sad. I plan to "keep in touch" with BFG. If great things begin to happen, I'll give them another try someday.

[Post New]by PorkyGrrl on Mar 27, 17 12:05 PM
Meh. I found the storyline to lacking any tension or excitement. I think it would have been a decent game if NOT released under the MCF title.

[Post New]by savaged123 on Mar 28, 17 4:28 PM
Has anyone encountered a problem with the slot machine stickers and slot machine reel? I added the stickers to the reel and the reel to the slot machine and according to the SG, it should trigger a mini game. The game doesn't trigger for me. Anyone else seen this?

Go to: