Re:Your Comments and Review for Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by hargy73 on Apr 19, 10 6:15 AM
Loved it, i do enjoy Nancy Drew games, and altho this was not one with alot in interatvie thing to do, i did enjoy the detactive side of it, need more Nancy Drew games pppplllleeeeaaaaassssseee lol

DeijaFIsh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by DeijaFIsh on Apr 19, 10 8:13 AM
This is one of the worst games I have ever had the misfortune to buy. I should have known better than to buy a game without trying it. All you basically wind up doing is wandering around the mansion doing sweet tweet. There are hardly any objects ever found, no clues, can't find the strategy hints they say are there, etc. It's frustrating and like one other person's comments I read, I may end up deleting it if I don't find some help to get started. Right now it's a waste of time doing the same things over and over again.

Deijafish

Lynnet67
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Lynnet67 on Apr 19, 10 8:26 AM
I love Nancy Drew games so didn't hesitate to buy this one....

[Post New]by cadesparks on Apr 19, 10 1:51 PM
I am a die hard Nancy Drew fan and this is just another amazing game!!! Even if it is an older one I still get alot of enjoyment out of them. It was short for a ND game and I absolutely hate slider puzzles (had to cheat) but overall another ND win for me.

valerie12
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by valerie12 on Apr 19, 10 2:32 PM
Some people may enjoy this game everyone is different, but I did not enjoy it
and just wasted my money on it. I will not do anymore of the Nancy Drew games.
There is no skip buttons to get 0ut of a puzzle and that is a feature that should
be a must have.
When the spy glass turns red there is nothing there .
Very disappointed.
Jellyfish
Valerie12
P.S. cannot even find a good walkthrough
Am going to delete this game .

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Apr 19, 10 5:16 PM
Wow- this is an oldie! One of the first Nancy Drew games I played and being new to computer games in general, this did take me awhile to figure out but was sooooo worth it! I thought it was downright spooky and even though I have played every ND to date, none have really stacked up to this one. Three thumbs up! Enjoy!

Laura29
Clownfish
Clownfish
833 Posts

[Post New]by Laura29 on Apr 19, 10 7:24 PM
I have played several Nancy Drew games, and this one was not my favorite. It felt kind of... empty, I guess. Really, not many puzzles, no mini games, The story didn't feel as well fleshed out as other Nancy Drew games, same with the characters in the game. It just didn't feel as "full" as the others I've played. So I was a little disappointed, and felt that I was left wanting more. Just my thoughts.

time4tea
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by time4tea on Apr 20, 10 10:24 AM
Just joined forum, though I've been reading (and using the collective wisdom) for quite a while. Question to those who know better: I'd like to buy an ND adventure, but as no trials, can't decide. Which would be best one to start? Appreciate the help!

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Apr 20, 10 11:50 AM
This is the first Nancy Drew game I ever played. I was already a fan of ND and adventure games. I enjoyed this one so much that I've played it through three times. I have since played all the other ND games and I am always anxiously waiting for the next one. I LOVE THEM ALL!! I wish they could release them a little faster. *tap, tap, tap*

Edited on 04/20/2010 at 11:51:32 AM PST

azoch
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by azoch on Apr 20, 10 12:35 PM
sorry i bought before trying it out. these are
really not hidden object games but i feel
very frustrating games. probably will not buy another
n.d. game without trying it first.

[Post New]by woodymom on Apr 20, 10 1:05 PM
This was my biggest mistake. Should never buy without a trial. A complete waste of time and money. Don't know where to start, where to go, or what to do.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 20, 10 7:31 PM
Ellen55 wrote:First Nancy Drew game purchased...So far, I don't like it......even reading walkthrough didn't make sense.....Very sorry I purchased it.

if you enjoy fashion, like paris, and have a penchant for crazy designers in old windmills - i would say try "danger by design" it is very different in that: (a) it's newer, (b) you wander around town and talk to lots of interesting people, you have alot of fun stuff that is reminiscent of earlier games, which may make you want to see where it came form, and there are fairly simple mini-games that you can always go back to if you ever feel like you just a moment to get your head together...

if you still want to proceed with "haunted mansion" i would be glad to answer any questions you might have, just PM me and i'll be back to you ASAP...

good luck

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 20, 10 7:37 PM
time4tea wrote:Just joined forum, though I've been reading (and using the collective wisdom) for quite a while. Question to those who know better: I'd like to buy an ND adventure, but as no trials, can't decide. Which would be best one to start? Appreciate the help!

hello time4tea and welcome to the pond

for the best suggestion, you should tell me what you actually like in a game [not ND games in particular, but games in general] so i can give you my best opinion... i suggested danger by design to one person, but if you like ireland and faeries, castle malloy might be your thing... if you prefer one location or style more than others that might help... crystal skull gets the voodoo on in the big easy, artifacts disappear by the hand of a phantom in venice, and nancy's friend bess gets kidnapped in the bahamas for ransom... so many different games! which one to play!!

best of luck

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 20, 10 7:45 PM
woodymom wrote:This was my biggest mistake. Should never buy without a trial. A complete waste of time and money. Don't know where to start, where to go, or what to do.

in the beginning of every game, nancy starts out with two basic goals that will usually get you started...

first - find a telephone and call home - sometimes that means bess and george, sometimes joe and frank hardy, sometimes ned, but in this case it means calling hannah... sometimes she will also have a local contact and that person may or may not be available at first try, so make a note of where the phone is - and anything else you find, because it may come in handy!

second - talk to the person/people you're staying with... rose will have things she needs done and will give you information about the house as the game goes on...

lastly - explore! get into every nook and cranny and look at everything there is to see... there is a mystery to be solved, after all... and if you come upon a puzzle that wasn't a task given to you [namely, the stairs] don't worry about it because there will be clues to help to solve it as the game progresses!

good luck and happy sleuthing

time4tea
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by time4tea on Apr 20, 10 10:29 PM
Thanks for the sweet welcome, Ember! I do feel part of this community, though I sometimes wonder if I should (ahem) get back to work!!
I've purchased several games over the year,and the ones I go back to most are MCF Madame Fate and RTR, and Sweeney Todd - it's the depth, not the darkness that I really like; Azada and Enlightenus for quickies............ Funny how so many intriguing games are dark (Vampireville, Bitten looked good but haven't sprung for those....yet). I guess I like a good story, long playing time, and some challenge -- and it's time for something a little different. And yeah, I was a Nancy Drew superfan as a kid....

mammadenny
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by mammadenny on Apr 21, 10 5:14 PM
Is this one of the games that Nancy Drew spends a lot of time communicating with others. The kind you have to click on one line of questions at a time. I hope I explained it properly. Denise

time4tea
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by time4tea on Apr 22, 10 11:01 AM
Thanks, CasualGran, for the tipoff that Dossier games had trials. I tried the Redondo Spa one..........how does this compare to the large-file games? It's okay fun, but not what I'd call 'gripping'.......

time4tea
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by time4tea on Apr 22, 10 8:22 PM
Thanks again, CasualGran ! And, that munching sound you hear is me eating my words.... as I got into it, as opposed to 'research', I found Redondo Dossier (whatever) very fun, as well as amusing re the characters and dialogue. So, if I'm really enjoying this one (the spa snoots are a hoot!), Ember, what would you suggest in a (presumably) longer ND? Other than size, what is the main difference between the Dossiers and regular NDs? One of these is definitely my next buy (Curse of the Opera can wait until I'm sure it's glitch-free)
And the audience says?.........

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on Apr 23, 10 1:04 PM
I have learned my lesson about buying a game without a trial game. I bought East Side Story and was completely lost. No buy for me. But if this game is an older game I wonder why there isn't a trail game? Anyone know?

Thanks,

[Post New]by littlefish88 on Apr 25, 10 4:07 PM
whew!! love this game! well worth the money compared to other games offered on this site--little stuck on the floor puzzle- cant wait to solve

Go to: