catmartie
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Mystic Gallery

[Post New]by catmartie on Apr 19, 10 9:37 AM
catmartie wrote:
catmartie wrote:What a rubbish game! I did endure the full hour... The HOs were generally obvious - when not hidden in a dark part of the screen or mistranslated so that you were looking for the wrong thing. The last of these I had was a "cup" which eventually, after clicking all round the hint area, turned out to be a transparent rectangle presumably a "glass" or "tumbler". Or else the object was not the one you were supposed to find. One scene had four trees in it, each of which I clicked on incurring the dreaded penalty. Then the hint revealed that it was the first of these anyway. The tasks were easy enough but I actually found them a welcome relief from the **** scenes.

Yes, sack the self-styled help with her endless time wasting repetitions and fatuous comments. Send her to study English, preferably not in Uzbekistan or similar. Close the gallery down, we aren't interested in its history! So they all went off to see the first modern "olimpic" games: wasn't it spelt right on their tickets, then?

Don't waste your time on the free trial, let alone your money on buying it.

Just wondering why my post has acquired asterixes where I typed ****!

And again! It's only the commonly used initials of "hidden object", as typed in numerous other contributions. How can this possibly be a problem? This makes it look like I'm swearing or using some kind of bad language, which I do not do. ( Anyway it's only 2 letters, so why 4 asterixes?)

catmartie
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by catmartie on Apr 19, 10 9:43 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:The answer to nooldesroms question: You get always only ***** when you write HOG, because it can mean also a nasty word (pig). I think thats the reason. (I have searched in a translationbook for HOG lol).

Unlikely! Neither the current word for the porcine mammal, beginning with p, nor its more archaic form, beginning with h, are in any way nasty. (Even to Americans, as far as I know.) But thanks for trying to help.

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Apr 19, 10 10:13 AM
Boring.................

The obnoxious lady says the same thing all the time

The penalty for wrong clicks is much too sensitive

Hints, when rarely used are really lame, are much too broad

I really didn't mind most of the mini games - they were the funniest part of the game if the lady would stay away!

Haven't bought a game yet this month and the 3 free certificates are burning a hole in my in box!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Apr 19, 10 10:44 AM
I had fun playing this game. I completed 5 levels in 50 minutes for an average of 10 minutes per level. I didn’t skip any puzzles but I did skip the history of the gallery dialogue at the beginning of each chapter. I got the gold ribbon score on three of the five levels and I got the blue ribbon score on the other two. With 50 levels at an average of 10 minutes per level the game would last about 8 1/2 hours. It would probably last longer if you read all of the dialogue, but in the 1 hour demo time I usually don’t read all the text.

The art pictures were grainy but the hidden objects were not so grainy and that made them easy to find. I only had a few miss clicks and only used a few hints in the levels I played. I liked playing the 4 games between levels because it made the whole game more interesting. I didn’t like the hostess in the black dress popping up all the time.

I didn’t wait for the dialogue to type out. I would just click it twice and the whole message would appear and I could read it without the clicking of the typing.

All in all, I thought it was an easy relaxing stress free game. However, I don’t think I will buy it. I am a member at Big Fish and another game site, so I will wait and see if it comes to the other site and then I can play it as a part of my unlimited membership.

kakki23
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by kakki23 on Apr 19, 10 11:01 AM
I also loved the game.. I thought it was interesting & relaxing. I loved the mini games except guess the painter. I always got them wrong. there are a few dark tiny objects but I just used a hint. The hints are fast filling. It was very clear on my computer. I think it's a delightful change.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 19, 10 11:14 AM
This review is a mix bag for me. First, the graphics are beautiful for those of us who appreciate fine historical world art. The music is nice, and I have not experienced any technical game glitches. It is because of the art work that I immediately clicked to purchase without finishing the demo, but soon afterwards was sorry I did.

After purchasing in haste, & now playing it for less then 30 minutes, I find there is just no challenge in finding most of the objects, nor do I find the mini games difficult at all. There were only a couple of objects that took a few moments to find, but overall, just too easy for me.

Fortunately however, there are younger members in my family, who may find this game more enjoyable and challenging. I give kudos to BF for at least providing a variety of games to appease different age groups, but this one, just not my cup of tea for the reasons stated. The art and history factor is nice though, and I personally would like to see more world art type games, especially when they provide historical facts, etc. Playing a game, while also being able to actually learn something from it, is a plus.

Finally, I feel the woman narrator in the game repeats the rules as well as other points too often. Once, for most people should be enough, and I have to agree with others in that this becomes quite irritating.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Apr 19, 10 11:29 AM
Okay, Fishies - Now why don't you REALLY tell me how you feel about this game. Let it all out, don't hold anything back. Let me have it in pure and simple language!!! (JOKE) (LWM) You all are too much and I love you all for it. Man, when you don't like a game, there are no holes barred in expressing your feelings!

Give me everything you got!!

, but don't keep it

cg

vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by vkacademy on Apr 19, 10 12:04 PM
Creepy lady aside, this was a pretty average HOG with some mini games thrown in which is nice. But my reason for quitting and uninstalling is because it has one of my pet peeves: clicking an object two or three times before it registers that, yes, it IS the correct item. The walking cane, for instance, had to be clicked along the bottom, not the curved handpiece. The penalty line dropped down five times while I looked for the right hotspot to click. Same with the clippers.

jentzie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jentzie on Apr 19, 10 1:39 PM
What a waste of computer space. It is definitely a dud. A no buy for this boring nonsense.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Apr 19, 10 1:46 PM
I went ahead and played the rest of my hour. I liked the Spot the Difference in that you could move the scene left or right to spot the differences. However, I will not be buying. Mainly because the woman looks too much like a woman I was engaged to once, and I just don't want to be looking at that face.

deeno1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by deeno1 on Apr 19, 10 2:53 PM
catmartie wrote:
catmartie wrote:What a rubbish game! I did endure the full hour... The HOs were generally obvious - when not hidden in a dark part of the screen or mistranslated so that you were looking for the wrong thing. The last of these I had was a "cup" which eventually, after clicking all round the hint area, turned out to be a transparent rectangle presumably a "glass" or "tumbler". Or else the object was not the one you were supposed to find. One scene had four trees in it, each of which I clicked on incurring the dreaded penalty. Then the hint revealed that it was the first of these anyway. The tasks were easy enough but I actually found them a welcome relief from the **** scenes.

Yes, sack the self-styled help with her endless time wasting repetitions and fatuous comments. Send her to study English, preferably not in Uzbekistan or similar. Close the gallery down, we aren't interested in its history! So they all went off to see the first modern "olimpic" games: wasn't it spelt right on their tickets, then?

Don't waste your time on the free trial, let alone your money on buying it.

Just wondering why my post has acquired asterixes where I typed ****!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 19, 10 2:55 PM
sweetcandygames wrote:
Hello for all of the fishies, im one of the catmoon members who developed the game.

sweetcandygames,
I thought you should hear from someone who actually bought your game.

I liked your game and bought it. Thanks for all the hard work.

I would have liked more information about the paintings but I'm not a lawyer so, I won't give you any grief about the copyright issue.

I would like to respectfully disagree with the assumption of one poster here that most HOG enthusiasts don't care about the story. The story is more important to HOG players than many of the other genres and the HOG review trash heaps are full of disappointed comments about uninteresting story lines.

Additionally, I think the short BFG trial time is unfortunate for some games as I find that I learn more about the game's internal logic and a feel for the game developers intentions as I spend a bit more time with them but economics dictates the trial time.

Thanks again

deeno1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by deeno1 on Apr 19, 10 2:59 PM
The **** are used when the H and the O are used together, not with the G as in hog (pig).
Those two letters together are unfortunately a slang word for a prostitue.
I think removing it here with **** is pretty silly since none of us would ever be thinking that with regards to these games....

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Apr 19, 10 3:18 PM
I like fine art so I purchased the game. I'm still playing it but I will leave comments now.
The lady with the vampire teeth drives me nuts! I click and click until she goes away. I don't need to know I'm doing a good job or how pleased she is with my performance. I wish there was a way to terminate her.

The music is so corny I had to turn it off completely. After a little while I turned off all sound because the hint machine was so loud it was making me crazy too.
The magnifying game where you find the hidden jewels, buttons, etc., is nerve wracking. You only have one or two left to find and the game makes you scroll around with the magnifying glass "forever" until it decides you have suffered enough and the last ones finally appear.

For me, the most challenging mini-game is the "spot-the-differences" one. They are easy at first - after you have spotted the obvious ones the real work begins.

I think Big Fish should scan these games for spelling and grammar by having someone with the command of the English language go through them and report the mistakes. It is so annoying to come across errors in the text; it's almost like the developers don't care and just want to get it on the market with no quality assurance trials. Actually, I take it as an insult to the English speaking world!

Not as odious but still a pain is the labeling of the hidden objects. There is too much ambiguity. If the developer doesn't know the exact term for the object they should run it by an English speaker.

It is what it is.

Edited on 04/19/2010 at 3:19:42 PM PST

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Apr 19, 10 3:20 PM
WTF !!!!

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Apr 19, 10 3:25 PM
A big thumbs down from me too. I buy many HOGs each month and this one is a big NO WAY. Editing is poor, the mini-games drove me nuts and the game is boring.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Apr 19, 10 3:37 PM
Possibly, the worst game I have played on this site.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 19, 10 3:44 PM
I only lasted 5 minutes. Poor graphics and the introduction to the game gave me the impression this was an amateur production.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 19, 10 4:06 PM
I agree with most that's been said about this game. I do not like the mistake meter, especially when the area to click on is so specific that you get a miss even though you are clicking on the correct item. Also, I don't care for find the difference games. The only fun games were the puzzles and the match pairs. Definitely not buying this game. Graphics were fuzzy and items were either extremely easy to find or impossible. Clicking the hint just gave you a big circle to look in.

[Post New]by lilliyrose1 on Apr 19, 10 4:18 PM
Yeah, I agree about the mistake meter. The area for the clicks is very specific and at times the graphics are so bad that you can't find the item even when using a hint. The mini games are really boring. The sound is awful. I could only suffer through about 30 minutes of this game and it left me feel frustrated. I wish I could say something positive about this game but nothing comes to mind.

Go to: