lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on May 31, 17 5:49 PM
I liked the demo, so I bought this (cause I had extra game credits sitting in my account). I actually LIKE storylines and cut-scenes (big Final Fantasy player from the first one on). I like interactive seek and find. I like some puzzles with runes or astrological symbols or made-up languages. I have no quarrel with any of this. I found the storyline pretty interesting, the music was appropriate to the setting and mood, the graphics were good.

That being said:
Most games have some small aggravations built in. Sometimes the cursor is intrusive or the achievement popup is annoying or the game has poor animations of the characters, etc. I can usually get used to these little quibbles along the course of a game, but this game just got on my nerves to the point I had to quit.

What bothered me so much? First, there was just TOO much "Nordic" flavor. I struggled to get out of areas at times, clicky-clicking madly everywhere along the bottom margin until I finally noticed the X to close the window hidden in ornate scrollwork. This recurred over and over, not just once. On the other hand, the "back" area in the hidden object scenes was so big on some scenes that trying to click an object near the inventory bar exited me from the scene (I have noticed this in other Eipix games, too). I had to take my reading glasses down and stare at the checkmark to accept a decision to find out what I was supposed to click: the check was so well-hidden in said scrollwork it was almost indecipherable. The puzzles were okay, but the constellation puzzle was solved without any reference to the relative distances between the dots as depicted in the diagram. The hidden object scenes were often reduced to a pixel hunt for an area that you could grab something and move it out of the way to find the item on your list, and the objects you were to use often were a pixel hunt for where exactly to click to use them. Plus the objectives were completed (very annoyingly) with runes that were then "translated" by wiping the runes off with "objective completed". I hate the "objective completed" thing almost as much as I do the achievements popups (compounded by the fact that I have zero, zilch, nada, goose egg interest in achievements), and this one was hard to ignore, as the text "moved" and drew my eye to it no matter that I knew what it was going to say.

So what started off promising just gave me a headache and left me wondering why I bothered playing as long as I did.

Edited on 05/31/2017 at 5:54:08 PM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Jun 1, 17 3:03 AM
Well, I enjoyed the game!
Finally a game that was bit different.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jun 17, 17 7:19 PM

I agree with...
dancemom1, WhiteladiesRd , Penny1942 & katejoe999... and appreciated reading what they had to say
Going against the tide but I for one liked it, different atmosphere and the fonts change to 'readable' after a few seconds.[the devs.I think were trying to give more atmosphere by using font that looked like runes ]...I also appreciated the 'reminder' of collectibles to look for
The only thing I did not care for was the lack of what to do in a few mini-games but I ether worked it out or skipped it when I started gritting my teeth
The art-work, music, story-line and general environment with a little touch of humor here and there I enjoyed. Also the hidden object scenes were a nice change of pace & I liked them.
This one is getting a & 3/4 on my personal enjoy-ability scale and hope to see more like this [ but hope the Devs would put a little more description in the Minis as to what is expected ]

daggy_k
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by daggy_k on Jun 24, 17 12:14 PM
I feel a little strange. I'm well into the game and love it, unlike the majority here.

After quite a while, finally a game that I found interesting, well thought through, something fresh.
Not so much the puzzles (which could be a bit more challenging for my taste), but HOPs as varied as they come, no straightforward solutions to tasks. Not too much running back and forth, no hectic clicking, instead having to pause and think.

The nordic theme is well done, quite true to the original.
Therefore I enjoy the runic font - and have no problem reading it.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jul 13, 17 9:31 AM
This is one of the most boring games I've played, in fact it ranks right beside Reflections of Life: Hearts Taken, as far as boring goes. I started to play the demo on May 27 and it just didn't thrill me, so I decided to play it a little later that day, just in case I was simply distracted. I kept putting it off because there was no incentive, no motivation. Well, here we are, June 1st, and I had to force myself to complete the demo, and I was and am still bored with this game.
Apparently I am a Shield Maiden for the Princess. I'm pretty sure this is a job no one wants, after all, a Shield Maiden basically takes a bullet for the Princess so she doesn't break a nail. Now we're not talking about a normal battle with other shield maidens (and arrow maidens I suppose) we're talking about protecting the Princess from a very angry, fire breathing dragon! There's no telling how many Shield Maidens have come before me, and by the end of the game, I'm not sure if either me or the Princess make it out alive.
At one point, I think I actually died, all I know is after doing my shielding thing, I woke up in a boat with some strange old man who told me that 3 companions would be joining me on my quest. Quest! What Quest? The Princess is nowhere in sight, this is my chance to get out of Dodge, or at least away from the creepy old man! Now I'm told that I have to actually Uber these 3 companions, and I'll bet you anything, not a single one will chip in for boat gas! First I travel to the woods to fetch the Huntress. Wouldn't ya know it, I have to save the "huntress" from an angry pig, her resume isn't looking too good from my point of view, just saying. Next I'm off to see the Seer, and I've seen enough already! This dude has a few loose nuts and bolts because he has strapped a pair of giant antlers onto his back! Incredible he tells ME to prove myself worthy, I'm going to just let it go at that and agree that we don't "see" eye to eye. Finally I Uber my little boat over to the Skald. Turns out a Skald is a musician with a really bad attitude. Let's see now, I have a Huntress who can't hunt, a Seer who doesn't see straight, and a Skald, someone has a vivid imagination and it ain't the dragon! By now, I'm seriously considering defecting to the Dragons Team, so thankfully, the demo has ended.......but the Saga continues......
Usually I prefer the Collector's Edition versions because I like finding all the extra's, but the 37 Collectible Yggdrasil Tiles thrilled me about as much as the demo did, zilch! Probably because I don't like collecting things I can't pronounce. Apparently there are 8 collectible Characters, I didn't bother looking for them because I was too busy keeping an eye on that Seer fellow, I don't trust him.
The Hidden Object Scenes were okay, but nothing thrilling. Most of the HOP's are in the form of finding Keywords, two of which involved a map, another was divided into 3 rooms. I did like the Interactive List find HOP on a Stained Glass Window that required you to strum 3 different strings to switch sections of the stained glass.
The Mini Games were decent enough, and definitely the best part of the entire game. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the long, boring demo:
1) Recall the dragons attack pattern then press arrows to shield the blows.
2) Use different lengths of vines to repair a net.
3) Plan a strategy by choosing the logical item in equations.
4) Swap tokens along the connecting lines until each is next to its corresponding symbol.
5) Press arrows to align the outlines inside the crystal with the red lines in the rock.
6) Hang the crystals on the correct hooks so their shadow fills the outline on the wall.
7) Swap tiles so that the numbers on the equals the number of end points.
8) Drag the lines so that one of each symbol is contained within each of the 4 shield segments.
9) Pluck the strings in the correct order referencing the length of the snakes.
10) Connect pairs of the same symbols with lines that don't intersect.
11) Swap the arrows.
This Collector's Edition has 4 Concept Art pictures, 8 Wallpapers, a Book of Origins Journal, 8 Collectible Characters, 37 Collectible Yggdrasil Tiles, 14 Movie Videos, 6 Music Soundtracks, 15 replayable Mini Games, 11 replayable Hidden Object Scenes, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter.

Go to: