nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Masquerade Mysteries: The Case of the Copycat Curator

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Apr 20, 10 7:28 AM
Well it kept me busy! There's lots to do! It stumped me a lot! I like that in a game it means there's always a new angle to finding things. I used hint when I needed to and I "needed" to. Some items were hard to find, but more items were not my way of thinking and I had to get used to the game's way of doing things. I think it could be quite a bit of fun! I made it to the museum when my time ran out. I was working on the computer. So it is probably a long play for me.
Sal

jampony
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Masquerade Mysteries: The Case of the Copycat Curator

[Post New]by jampony on Apr 20, 10 7:36 AM
I really like the graphics and I'm not having any problems finding small items. The only thing I don't like is that the music and background noises are on the same track so if you turn off the music, you're stuck playing in silence. Very boring. As for the length of the game, I think it might be a short one. I'm on chapter three and I have 32 minutes of the demo left.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Apr 20, 10 7:51 AM
The usual happened, I started the game, left the computer
"only for a minute" , someone was at the door, got talking....
When I came back to the computer, the trial was over.
Bought the game and now I am bored.
Bored with tiny objects, with playing dress-up...
When I had to cut the lights to search the teeny objects with
a flashlight, I turned off the game.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 20, 10 8:22 AM
Well, I DL'd it, got into it okay. But I am totally turned off by the "junkpile" hog aspect of it already. I'll play out the demo, but it's not going to be a buy.

Spoiled? Yes, I am. Some of these games would have been great a couple of years ago, but now they just don't cut it. If it doesn't have a strong adventure element, it isn't a buy for me - at least not on the full price. Maybe as a DD...

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 20, 10 8:38 AM
I waited awhile before playing ..but I should of just gotten the heartache over with earlier ,,To have another Boring , Muddy , Junkpile Hog ....Gosh Darn It !!! I lasted 10 min..& will not go back to this one !!! ( NO WAY )..When you think of the word GAME ,,you think FUN !!!! NOT !!!!!

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on Apr 20, 10 8:45 AM
I will start with the good first:
The game ran without any problems for me. I have XP and noticed no jumping, sticking, or 'freeflying' of the cursor.
The graphics are on the side of upper scale. They are not muddy or grainy.
Hints recharge quickly and are unlimited.
No timer.

The bad:
The music is very very repititous. The soundtrack just keeps repeating over and over.
It is somewhat of a junkpile HOG, although when you revist scenes you are asked to find different objects which makes it seem more interesting.
Not sure of the length, couldn't find anywhere how many chapters there are but I made it to chapter 6 at the end of my hour demo.

I just couldn't get into this game. It has a very boring storyline and you go back and forth so much its irritating. I will pass on this one and cross my fingers that there is something better on the way. Happy gaming to all my fellow fishies.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Apr 20, 10 8:56 AM
Well I was pretty disappointed this morning.

I gave it a try but I found it boring. I didn't like having to look through piles of 'stuff' to help with the mini puzzles. Something was off with this game.
Just seemed to me that it was not a quality game.
Maybe tomorrow....

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 20, 10 9:08 AM
Kind of on the fence with this one. I'm usually a big complainer about tiny objects, but in the demo time at least, that didn't seem to be a problem for me. I'm pretty free with using hints in demo (altho not otherwise) and two that I used were indeed for small objects, but they were legible when found with the hint, so might have been able to find without. The graphics are not too bad, but I do think they are kind of "muddy" which gets kind of tiring on these old eyes.

Two complaints: "a purple purse" which when found in the shadows with a hint was mostly white spots and no where close in color to the "purple shoes" and like magic turned solid purple when dressing her; AND relative size of objects to dress her, i.e. a dress the size of her hand and a hair pin the size of her whole head.

I'm a big fan of IHOGs, but also enjoy just plain HOGs, so no problems there.

So another on my list of maybes. I have a looooong list, since I waited so many months to get a new computer that would play more of these games.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Apr 20, 10 9:28 AM
This game loaded quickly and ran fine. That's the good part.

I am tired of this story, museums, reporters and Dads asking daughters to investigate stuff for them. **** HUM, YAWN. I really wanted to like this game, darn!

The hidden objects were in several cases not what was asked for. I liked the picture taking part, a little bit different though it has been done before. I liked changing her clothes to 'fit' in.
Although made by the people that made Lost in the City, it is absolutely nothing like it and IMO not nearly as interesting. Gamers that like straight HOGS may like this though. Not for me

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Apr 20, 10 9:46 AM
Didn't hold my interest at all. Tired of "hunting" each scene over and over @ the same time.
Tiny, tiny ,tihy objects, could hadrly tell what things were. Just another junkpile HOG. Mini games were pretty dumb and certainly no challenge. I guess they thought that if they tossed in a few things, like dress up doll and dumb picture taking they would come up with a game, Didn't happen for me.

Hopes dashed again.Still waiting for something origianl and actually worth a credit.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 20, 10 10:16 AM
Not for me either - found the minigame controls really clunky and awkward. Graphics too grainy. Didn't like the dressing-up. Disappointed, cos I was looking forward to this one.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Apr 20, 10 10:59 AM
Played the demo and was glad it was over. Wasn't extremely bad but not my cup of tea. Will not buy.

Drgnlady
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Drgnlady on Apr 20, 10 11:19 AM
Thank you all for your reviews.

I can tell from the reviews and from the pictures that it will not be a buy for me.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Apr 20, 10 11:29 AM
I'm desperate for a good game right now and there doesn't seem to be any! Actually going back and playing some of my older (great) games and find them just as exciting and wonderful as the first time I played them. After reading the reviews for this game, I am really undecided. Guess I'll give the demo a try and find out if I want to use a credit or not!

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Apr 20, 10 12:17 PM
I didn't care for this game very much. I thought it was a boring and too repetitive. I would have a hard time enjoying the same for or five things over and over.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 20, 10 1:35 PM
I have bought this game today and enjoy it very much! I like to switch between different location while searching for clues. Its a good wellmade hog. Give it a try if you are a hogfan. I hope you like it too it gets even better after a while. The game has also a great gamelength - appr. over 4 hours for me and I am for sure not very slow while playing!

SPOILER (Because so many fishies has asked it):

You can find the screwdriver besides the door - on the right site

Edited on 04/20/2010 at 1:58:06 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Apr 20, 10 1:46 PM
bribling wrote: I reached the point where I needed a screwdriver to open a panel and all the Hint would do was indicate the panel which is one of the most obvious items in the game up to that point. I could not see the screwdriver.

If you like the game in general but you're just stuck on one or two objects, the Blog Walkthrough has screenshots with every object marked, so it should help get past a sticking point.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try this Game link at the top of the page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Good luck!
Robin

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Apr 20, 10 2:08 PM
This game is not for me... like severals other fishies have said, it's a bit boring and repetitive. Like others, I'm finding I don't like straight HOGs anymore after playing so many great iHOGs. This is not a bad game and the graphics are quite good. Just not a buy for me.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Apr 20, 10 2:26 PM
I just finished the demo. Got to Chapter 3, I think, when her father calls for help. For some reason, I did not have too much trouble finding many of the objects, even though they were small.
Graphics were good.
Mini-puzzles were of the usual type, but didn't seem to work in the usual, logical way. On the second encryption puzzle, I just couldn't make out how the pieces fit together, and I am usually good at putting puzzles together in these games.
The picture taking and putting together disguises for her was different, but not enough to make the game exciting, or wanting me to play longer than the demo.
Maybe if it becomes a DD some day.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Apr 20, 10 2:34 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned the twitchy Poserish ppl! Yes, there's a HUGE masquerade ball going on....w/ one guy sitting at a table drumming his fingers ROFL The artwork was very nicely rendered & WHY the devs thought it would be a good idea to hurl this nonsense in is beyond me. And that irksome door in the bottom L was annoyingly distracting, why couldn't she just use the actual doorways? There's a concept LOL

I'm irked b/c I beta'd it & it made me start over, which almost never happens, so I didn't get much beyond where I was the 1st time tho I think it was about 1/2 thru Ch 3. I thought the scenes were well done & the HOs of medium-to-hard difficulty & I didn't think things were too small. The storyline however was rather meh & going nowhere fast. Hated the minigames, found those repetitive. Maybe devs think b/c the casual gaming audience is primarly women that we like to play Barbies & Colorforms & cut-outs w/ all the costume changing that needed doing? Skip button was slow on that, it was EZ-ier to just play along, but still. If the story was moving faster than a snail's pace, I might've gotten it, but devs aren't getting that no story (like in Escape to Rosecliff Island, for example) is preferable to a lame one that doesn't hold your interest long enough for you to want to keep playing. That, & the fact that you were stuck re-playing the same scenes for so long you just wanted to move along already.

Go to: