Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Mystery P.I.: The London Caper

[Post New]by Sante001 on Apr 21, 10 11:50 AM
Sometimes, when something is not broke, you don't need to fix it. That goes for the Mystery PI game series. SpinTop is probably one of the best developers (my opinion ) of hidden games. They have it down to a science. Their graphics are always sharp, you're given tons of items to find, and they always add something new. This game is not a disappointment! Gentlsong says it all. My additonal kudos:
1) You're really challenged from the start. While the hidden object list is fairly simple, finding the objects are not that easy. Looking for something to relax away the time, this games does it for me.
2) As always, you're instructed to find 2-objects in each scene to unlock the unlimited sites, these are a KEY and a CROWN. What you may discover on your own, is that you also get additional additonal points for finding the HANDCUFFS in each scene.
3) In each scene, you have at least 2 interactions.

This game gets up out of 5 and my purchase. Thanks BF and SpinTop!!

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on Apr 21, 10 1:13 PM
Since there is no walkthrough, just wondering about the length of game? Anybody finish the game and might have any ideas?

Metamorph
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Metamorph on Apr 21, 10 1:37 PM
joyce2121 wrote:
Victoria5 wrote:Thank you -- thank you -- thank you. I saw this game quite a while ago on another site and, of course, would not buy it there so I have been waiting for BF to get it and you did so thank you. Sometimes you just want a nice relaxing hidden object game and this it is -- You made my day.

Me too. Have been waiting and waiting. Love all the Mystery P.I.'s
Thank you BFG.

Me three! Thanks!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Apr 21, 10 1:53 PM
hi puppycake, i have not finished it yet, because the MPI series is famous for giving great value in play time. Plus this one has 2 additional modes which you unlock by collecting all of the 25 crowns, 25 keys, and the pair of handcuffs in each section.
I hope you enjoy the game! And thanks for getting this one to us!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 21, 10 2:07 PM
From playing the game demo, I'd say it's a decent, straightforward, hidden object game. No complaints, but also no accolades. Would be great for a Daily Deal, but not so sure at regular price, considering all the other choices we could make.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Apr 21, 10 3:11 PM
I was so thrilled to see this as the game for tomorrow! This series is what started my daughter and I off on hidden objects games and online computer gaming a few years ago. We have all the games in the Mystery PI series and they are always enjoyable even after being a few years old. Basically a junk pile hidden object, but the beautiful scenes and the storyline make the game interesting. More interesting than some supposedly more advanced iHOGs lately.

I noticed a few upgrades to the series with this one. It seems like the developers have listened to what people like in games and applied them here. I love the music and the graphics are always crisp and clear. No teeny tiny obscure objects. I had already filled up one card for the month and wasn't going to start on another until next month, but I have to get this one right away. Thanks BF!

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 3:22:19 PM PST

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on Apr 21, 10 6:15 PM
Thanks kdubs. It is a pretty straight forward hiddon object, nothing too exciting, good for the beginner. However, even though I have been around a long time, I base most of my games on length. It's just not worth $6.99 to me for 2-3 hours of game play. I bet I turn down about 10 games per month due to short playing time.
Been a bit of a dry spell lately and might buy this if it was a long game. I beta tested a game ages ago, and I have been waiting & waiting for it to come out. First time I have a few credits on hold, waiting for a great game.

Caraface
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Caraface on Apr 21, 10 7:43 PM
This one's a no-buy for me. The graphics are great and the items are clear and easy to find, but I find all the Mystery P.I. games to be very boring. Same scenes, same progression, same mini-games, same "find the key" in each scene....just a change of backdrop (in this case, London). I do love Pop Cap games and Spin Top is a great developer, so I always give these games a try, hoping for something more challenging and different......no such luck with this one. Uninstalled after about 15 mins.

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Apr 21, 10 10:27 PM
Well I played the trial but I won't be buying this one. It's pretty much the same as the others in this series.. junk pile HOG. I remember really enjoying the first one but my tastes have changed and I don't enjoy straight HOGs much anymore, especially the junk pile kind. That seems to be what most straight HOGs are, which is rather disappointing.

Anyway... if you like these games, it's the same quality as the others in the series. Enjoy!

[Post New]by MalteseBaby on Apr 21, 10 11:38 PM
I only play HOG, with a few adventure genre sprinkled in the mix.. Lately, there has been a severe shortage of really good interesting new HOG games or IHOGs released. I've played the good of what has been released in the past year. IDK why the pickings have been so slim, but to me, this game has been the best of the recent offerings.

This is my introduction to Spin Top's series of Mystery PI HOGs. Maybe if I was jaded from the previous ones, I wouldn't find this one interesting, but I like the way the hints aren't just a list of objects. I like the way things are combined, and I think the location drawings are interesting, often pretty, always sharply drawn and easy on the eyes.

Finding the key and crown in each scene is fun, and had I known about the handcuffs, I would have been all over them too. I've seen them, just like SpinTop puts a plethora of wooden spin tops in the game scenes too, but I didn't know that the handcuffs served a function. Thanks to the OP for the heads' up.

Overall, I think this is a good game, not a great game, and I used one of my game credits from last month's punch cards to get it. I think it's worth it in terms of game play and fun value, without any witches, vampires, sorcerers or evil spells.,

Thanks, BFG!!

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 11:39:08 PM PST

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Apr 22, 10 10:56 AM
Well fishies...here's my two fins worth...

I will buy this and any other Mystery P.I. series game sight unseen. I have the other four and replay them over and over. I play the harder HOGs and then play these and they are perfect. Beautiful artwork/graphics. I usually don't play the music anyway...I put on my old cowboy classics and enjoy. Popcap makes beautiful games.

Does it sound like I like this game? There are excellent for me...that's why we have so many varieties of fish and games in the pond. A big for me. Thank you
for your choices, especially this series and Mystery Case Files.

Spintop and Popcap make very good games and clear beautiful pics!

Edited on 04/22/2010 at 10:59:06 AM PST

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Apr 22, 10 1:41 PM
Downloaded this and realized I've bought the Mystery PIs before-they're great if you want just a straight forward HOG with nothing else-a little boring for me, but a good HOG if that's what you want.

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Apr 22, 10 2:32 PM
Same old--Same old, but oddly is kind of interesting. Not enough to buy it though.

It did inspire me to dig out a couple of the Amazing Adventures series that I never finished.

Edited on 04/22/2010 at 2:34:39 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 22, 10 3:09 PM
This developer is one of the few who really understand that this is a visual medium, they make the best use of color and space, always clarity for the player's eye and enjoyment. We say "great graphics" for a lot of games that may be just pretty but not so playable. These are not always as easy as they look, first glance some obvious objects in your face. Yet, always a few that challenge me, cleverly placed, maybe a few tone on tone but nothing to make me squint or strain.

These are not games for me to play in one session, so not possible to judge time or length if playing Untimed. It would get boring scene to scene. But when I'm in the mood to just relax and look for stuff and brighten up my screen, nothing is better than click their icon and dive into an Unlimited Mode for awhile. So many dreary ihogs and frogs that stymy me and time spent on walkthroughs and asking help. Not here, just play with it, let it play gently with my brain til I'm back in the mood to tackle a difficult game and feel like work.

The whole series has evolved adding bits here and there like some limited interaction, lists of objects include some riddle type to make you think what it is to look for. You can play timed and try to beat your time with time bonuses or just relax and find the key and crown in each scene so you can unlock the Unlimited mode. Then you always have more HOGs you could play weeks til another good HOG comes out. Some may look like junkpiles, some aren't, but no matter how they place them they still look good, cheerful, and that is what I am looking at.

The little mini games are nice light interludes between the hunts for things. Nothing punitive, unlimited hints if you want them (and I sometimes need one or two if I get impatient to see the next scene) click all you want, no penalties. Lots of options to play it as you like and return to for an hour or so when in the mood. To each her/his own.

suzyc
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by suzyc on Apr 22, 10 3:35 PM
Thank you so much!! I love these games. No constant checking of walkthroughs, hassle-free download, no stress, just a fun game. I love to relax and just play. So, I will always be a loyal customer for this series.

Edited on 04/22/2010 at 3:45:19 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 22, 10 4:35 PM
I want to add more kudos to the devs for consistancy, may be the same formulas, but any evolving since the first has been merely adding more entertainment for their proven customer base to ENJOY. Not much pushing the envelope in the difficulty area which has run me away from some other series. They give us more fun in each release, but not up our stress with more complexity. OK so we like a little interaction, we get it. We like a little thinking, so in the last two we get more clues rather than a word for an object. Maybe they make other games for the expert seasoned players but left us alone.

In contrast, the Dream Day series, how much fun was the New Home one, now this new release Italia reduced to blind man's bluff, impossible to see fragments even with a walkthrough. Won't buy any more of that series, at least to play on a laptop, Big Cities did the same thing on the Vancouver, first screen took me forever with hints where San Fran was so fun and seeable. I like hidden, not invisible objects or fragments. But I can so far count on Mys PI to deliver what I expect, more of the same and reasonable upgrades in gameplay. I guess we all have our own ideas of fun and entertainment or why we choose to play a game. I like to PLAY a game, or play with it, while some others talk about "beating a game". I don't want to compete with a game designer, I want to play along with them and enjoy equally and say thank you, not gotcha!! But that's just how I see it. And seeing is what a visual medium is all about, not being penalized because I don't SEE something, even with a hint I don't see some that only the designer would know.

So thanks again Spinners, Play on.....

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 22, 10 6:18 PM
When I first started playing Hogs I really enjoyed the Mystery PI series, but now there is too much seek and find. I had a good time playing the demo, but will not be buying this game... nothing compells me to finish.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Apr 23, 10 1:49 PM
As has already been said, you can always count on the Mystery P.I. series for great HOG games. The 1 or 2 interactions and other clues for the hidden objects make the game interesting, However, I have yet to play a game in the series long enough to figure out how items such as a valve and whistle obtained at the end of each chapter lead to the discovery of 'who-done-it'. Probably will buy if it becomes a DD.

[Post New]by speedswifey on Apr 23, 10 2:19 PM
WELL I WENT AHEAD AND BOUGHT THIS GAME, SO GLAD I DID IT IS 1 OF THE BETTER GAMES I HAVE BOUGHT(AND I HAVE BOUGHT LOTS) THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS I THINK I AM ON LAST SCENE I GOT THE SAFE THERE HAVE GOT CLOCK SET AND BOMBS HAVEN'T EXPLODED I GOT TIMER SET AND CLOCK ARE MATCHING IN TIME SO IS THIS HOW IT ENDS OR DO I WAIT ANOTHER 20 MINUTES FOR IT TO FINISH,LOL THANKS "BIG FISH" I LOVED IT.

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Apr 23, 10 5:24 PM
Have to agree with those who like this series. Silkywings summed it up for me.

When I need a short break - 20-30 minutes, I play a solitare game, a jigsaw puzzle, or one of these if there is one on my screen that I haven't played all the way through. But for me there isn't a finish because after the end I return to the unlimited mode and continue - several hours of play for me over time.

So pIayed a few minutes and came out to buy. I love the London scenes. Never been there, but have been reading a lot of light victorian mysteries set there.

Go to: