Juddang
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Juddang on Aug 26, 17 2:48 PM
Thanks for the great review dancemom1.

duchess436
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by duchess436 on Aug 26, 17 3:41 PM
kaypeter wrote:I've just started it and can's find the 4th postcard. Can anybody help.

you have to exit mini game & go to the bench there you will find the postcards

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 26, 17 5:20 PM
I've just finished the first chapter, and I'm really enjoying this game. I do admit that I had such a bad taste in my mouth from the latest Vermillion Watch, it might just be a rebound, but I don't think so. Yes, the runes are old hat, and yes, I'd prefer a straight detective mystery, but I like the graphics, the music is not overwhelming, the voice acting is decent. I've had no trouble with colors blotting out everything, and so far, the puzzles are decent. I had to skip one because my arthritic fingers won't let me click rapidly, but skipping one isn't such a big deal. I'm interested in the story line, even though I'm pretty sure I know where it's going. I'm happy with my purchase, and only stopped playing because I want to save it to play tomorrow.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 26, 17 7:27 PM
@Juddang, I started to write a full "based on the demo" review for this game, but I didn't get very far w/ it before realizing that most of the issues I have w/ it are precisely the same as I've had w/ other recent offerings from this dev, & I frankly didn't feel like reiterating them. With that said, I will now provide more detail, but I will start by saying SPOILER ALERT, as I will be mentioning a few specifics. I found the pace of this demo too slow. There were anachronisms, such as a pull-top can & what looked suspiciously like a cell phone, that I found jarring. One of the HO scenes moves every time you move your cursor...it serves no purpose for it to do so, as no items are revealed this way, so it's obviously done purely for effect, which seems to rank high among this dev's priorities these days. As mentioned previously, we have a gadget to use which has already been used in numerous other games, & has never been any fun, unless one enjoys slowly dragging their cursor over an entire area, looking for they know not what. We have both effects & mini-games involving runes, the former of which I'm indifferent to, the latter of which I personally have more than had my fill of. We have again a mini-game wherein one's sole objective is to fill a meter by repeatedly clicking the mouse as fast as possible; we also have yet another move-the-chess-knights-to-their-allotted-spaces mini-game. The collectibles are easily spotted, the morphs in the HO scenes less so. The graphics are mostly good, but blurry in places; the lighting in some places seemed off to me (ie, too much or too little). The storyline has the potential to be interesting or no, but the actual gameplay to this point, which is what I play games for, has left me uninterested in playing further to find out, as I found it to be very much the same old same old, w/ nothing fresh being offered in either the HO scenes or mini-games. If rating this for the sales page, I would probably rate it 2.5 stars for those reasons, & as someone who would have been very happy to have a new series to eagerly await the next installment of, I'm definitely disappointed. This dev's games in general have been becoming increasingly cookie cutter, & this game in particular looks to be a continuation of that trend.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 27, 17 5:42 AM
Uncle Andre has invited you to visit him in Paris, but this trip is anything but a vacation. Andre Baudin is a member of the finer things club, known as the Golden Circle Club. Members of this elite circle include doctors, poets, world renowned travelers, playwrights, composers,and musicians. Lately, the circle has been getting smaller and smaller, as one by one, the members are being systematically picked off, death by strangulation! You've witnessed this phenomenon with your own eyes, first the marks appear, and within seconds, a shadowy figure arrives and chaos ensues, before you can figure out what's going on, you discover the victim has been strangled! Can you stop this evil force of nature before it destroys anyone associated with the club?
I'm a Mad Head games fan because USUALLY their games are unique and have slightly different features, which make them less of a cookie cutter adventure. MH games sure do love their symbols, and I just felt like they went a little overboard with them in this game. Things were going along smoothly for me in the demo, I was willing to overlook all the symbols (even the Collector's Edition bling is a hidden symbol in each scene) then they introduced the Memory Medallion. This futuristic device (keep in mind this game takes place in 1923, cars still require you to crank them by hand!) can not only capture and replay a memory, but swap small items as well, as long as it can fit inside the tiny device! How exactly does this medallion work? Does it tap into your brainwaves? If it does, how does it know whose brain to tap into? Does it project the memory in a holograph? How does it transport objects, telekinesis? Where did this device come from? If someone from the club invented it, why didn't they put all their knowledge towards upgrading the card? I liked this game, but it would have been a fantastic game if they just ditched all the supernatural aspects, and went strictly with the whodunit murder mystery.
The Hidden Object Scenes are varied and presented in typical Mad Head fashion. In this CE version, each HOP had a Morphing Object to find. There are a variety of styles offered, such as Multiple Object finds, Interactive List finds, and items that need to be placed into the scene where they logically go.
The Mini Games are fairly easy, most can be solved on the first attempt. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Swap tiles to complete the image.
2) Place sticky notes fr

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by heleanthia on Aug 27, 17 9:07 AM
I am enjoying the game. I really applaud Mad Head for their amazing graphics and animations and fun game play.
It's also an era I adore (the 1920's and in PARIS...I am in love....)
I don't sweat about the anachronisms as every game has them , in my opinion, we need to"suspend our disbelief" and just relax and enjoy.
I don't buy as many games here any more as there ARE other game companies carrying more adventure games.
I do also keep my Bigfish membership because I have obtained some great obscure games here AND because Mad Head is still here.....
many thanks MadHead! <3

Edited on 08/27/2017 at 9:08:30 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 27, 17 4:24 PM
I jumped back in to see more reposes on my review! Thanks fishes for your honest views! I see ones like it & that's great there enjoying the game! But you can see that ones will put down your comments! I'm proud of every fish that tells it like it is about game, whether they enjoyed it or not! But like I said before, it doesn't matter if we complain or not, forums are place to tell it like it is! Fishes don't feel bullied!

Edited on 08/28/2017 at 5:06:00 AM PST

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Aug 27, 17 11:52 PM
whew...horrible...I lasted 10 minutes

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by pradip123 on Aug 28, 17 12:01 AM

Edited on 08/28/2017 at 10:31:34 AM PST

[Post New]by Pennypixie on Aug 28, 17 1:51 AM
I have to agree with everyone who is a bit exhausted with the supernatural. It's been so long since we've had a good straight forward crime/murder mystery like Women's Murder Club or Special Inquiry Detail.

Edited on 08/28/2017 at 1:51:35 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Aug 28, 17 10:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to pop in here and thank players for taking the time to post their feedback regarding this particular game. It is indeed helpful and appreciated. Please keep in mind that we ask this thread be specifically for player's own review of the game. If you have a game play question, please post in this specific game forum by clicking on the blue Create New Discussion. Other players will be able to provide their hints and suggestions.

I'd also like to thank players for their patience regarding spam posts in the forums. Spam exists because we must make the forums accessible to anyone who would like to create an account and participate. Once we are able, the Moderation Team manually bans each spam poster and delete each spam post. For more information, see the following announcement:

An important announcement regarding spam posts - May 24, 2017

Thanks again for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the moderators. We are happy to assist in any way that we can.

bfgBellerophon

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 29, 17 12:07 AM
I think my biggest issue with this game is that all of the mini-games have been used in previous games from MH. It really drives me crazy (not like I'd waste much gas) but the story book and the graphics are so fantastic and then it all falls apart with the game play. I just don't understand why they can't get it through their thick mad heads that using the same puzzles and gimmick devices over and over result in no-buys? I dunno, SMH. They just have such promise but never deliver.

For all of those who enjoy, please do!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 29, 17 9:59 AM
LOVING this game.... JUST FANTASTIC! going in my top 10 favs.
Enjoying the story and some new twists in the hidden object scenes (have never seen a kaleidascope scene with hidden symbols - very cool.)

jaindough
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by jaindough on Aug 30, 17 9:18 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm not far along enough to review yet;however, if someone could tell me where to put the phone so that I might receive the newspaper, I might get to travel around a bit and see more of the game. I did figure out that one has to leave the HOP mini-game to find the lost postcards; but, I can't take the phone out of the booth. And, although I pressed it upon every likely surface, it was never accepted as the desired location. Please advise. Eagerly awaiting your help, another Donna ; )

puzzgamer1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by puzzgamer1 on Sep 2, 17 6:15 AM
Was there the 'extra' of bonus gameplay when you finished the main game? i finished but could not find the 'bonus or extra' gameplay just the other types of stuff. Usually after you finish the main game in a collector edition you can play a bonus/extra short game that relates to the main game....if someone found it could you tell me what / where it is? Otherwise i would not have gotten the collector edition. thanks.

sazoria
Clownfish
Clownfish
649 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by sazoria on Sep 2, 17 9:22 AM
@Puzzlegamer1
As with a lot of MadHead games, the bonus chapter is accessible through the play button on the main menu (the same one you click on to play the main game).
When you click on it you will see a circle that splits in two. Each circle half will have a scene in it, one for the bonus and one for the main game. Once you have played the main game the bonus semicircle will become unlocked and you can click on it to play.

For extras you can also revisit scenes to get collectibles, replay HOP's to find morphs and get three stars achievement and, once you have all the collectibles, that section will turn into an ultimate HOP.

Edited on 09/02/2017 at 9:29:15 AM PST

sazoria
Clownfish
Clownfish
649 Posts

[Post New]by sazoria on Sep 2, 17 9:27 AM
@jaindough
On the right side of the screen is a white postcard on the postcard rack. It is directly left of where the butterfly has perched.
There is a woman holding a phone receiver (old fashioned) in the post card.
Place the phone just on the left of this woman and it should be accepted.

puzzgamer1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by puzzgamer1 on Sep 4, 17 7:55 AM
THANKS SAZORIA---must've been a really bad arthritis day and just not able to see the forest for the trees.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Sep 12, 17 6:54 PM
I just thought I'd throw in my two cents about being tired of all the supernatural games. I know they are just games, but I think it would be so fun to play an actual mystery without ghosts and witches and magic. I also bought this game without demoing it because I thought it would be straightforward mystery. Nope! I am enjoying the game well enough, but if any developers are out there reading this, I'm another vote for a good non-supernatural mystery.

[Post New]by carolinamom1 on Oct 29, 17 9:11 AM
I really enjoyed this game. The hidden objects were challenging for a change, but not too impossible, which I enjoyed. I played them all again, after I completed the game and the bonus, just to see if I could improve my time and get the 3 stars. Ready for the next Donna Brave saga!

Go to: