Florida Resident(s)

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

Re:Florida Resident(s)

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 14, 17 6:21 AM
there is garbage pickup here today too. I guess it is the first in a while. so the cleanup is starting. yay.

many many thanks to all who were concerned for me and my safety. I am so glad to hear from others, like E and aurendel and lorakeet, too.

daughter said they have asked us to use water sparingly. something about the pumping stations. I did hear that they were draining lake Okeechobee (for any non-Floridians - that's the big black spot down here on the map) to decrease water already here. I wonder if they drained too much??

my son has our chainsaw at his house and he hasn't had a chance to get over here with it yet. A pretty good sized tree limb of ours fell down right across our sidewalk. It will have to be chopped so that we can get free access to the house. we can step over, but it will make getting groceries and the like a little bit more difficult than it has to be for a while. Like aurendel, I am glad it did not fall on the house, or block the road. YAY for your hubby, too, aurendel. We need as many of people like him that we can get!!!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 14, 17 7:11 AM
Does anyone know if FEMA will reimburse for trip to evacuate, or for food that had to be thrown away from no power?

lorakeet
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by lorakeet on Sep 14, 17 3:25 PM
So glad we Florida gals came through ok!

aurendel01
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by aurendel01 on Sep 16, 17 6:17 AM
Marliza, I don't know if FEMA reimburses for spoiled food, but at least some, if not all, homeowners' insurance policies cover it. Mine does, anyway. Altho' since we've had power intermittently since Tuesday, by keeping the refridgerator closed during outages we've minimized losses.

The power gets cut off while the work crews are cutting and clearing branches that have fallen on power lines or are threatening to do so. There have been fleets of work trucks all around. I've spoken with the workmen to thank them, and found that many are from other states, including Tennessee, Ohio, and New York! Wow!

Now with Hurricane Jose looking to turn northward, I hope the New York workers are able to get home in time to prepare for it. Bless all of these men--they've been going at it nonstop from dawn to dusk.

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 20, 17 8:28 AM
We decided not to put in a homeowner's claim for the spoiled food. It has a higher deductible anyways. Found out that FEMA does not reimburse for it, just to let everyone know.

My yard still is a mess with my big tree in front having lost lots of limbs and leaves. They are everywhere, with piles quite high already at my curb. No place to put any more. I heard it is going to take four to six weeks before they start cleanup of that kind for us. Trees are down along our main roads, too. I think we got hit by a tornado. Some are up by huge root systems. They were pulling them off to one side of the medians and roadways yesterday. I suspect a truck will be coming through along the roads thereafter to gather them all up. And I imagine they will do that work first, before going into the residential areas.

At least my house was unharmed, but there is a horizontal branch up high in the tree that almost completely ripped off. That is going to have to come down before the next high winds. And there's a branch about a foot in diameter across our front sidewalk to our door that we have to step over. My son has my chainsaw and is supposed to come cut. But I think he told me once a long time ago that he had broken it. And right now chain saws are scarce in the area. So it's going to have to wait, or I am going to have to pay someone to do the work. I'd rather not have to pay. I'm so limited for funds as it is already.

But like I said - I am grateful that no big damage was done. Those poor people on the islands and in the keys. As well as the Texans. What a year it's proving to be Mother Nature wise. (and I can't get over that some still do not believe in climate change and global warming, esp with the waters around florida at 90 degrees! - that fuels storms!)

Energyworker
Herring
Herring
335 Posts

[Post New]by Energyworker on Sep 21, 17 6:21 AM
Glad to hear you Floridians came through safe and sound!

aurendel01
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by aurendel01 on Sep 21, 17 2:33 PM
Thanks, Energyworker!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 22, 17 10:33 AM
I just wanted to write and let everyone know that I had a man come and take care of my tree in front this morning. It has made me feel MUCH better about things. But the poor tree. It's only half there now. It musta gotten hit hard by one side of storm - upper right quadrant they call it.

Anyway - Most of my yard I picked up this morning, too, waiting for guy to come. He charged very little - which is all I really could afford, too. God Bless those kinds of people - who REALLY want to help!!!

So I have a bit more raking and picking up, but it looks far better out there than it did!
It feels good to be on road to recovery.

No more storms here for rest of hurricane season, okay?

Go to: