[Post New]by Lynnet67 on May 2, 10 10:14 AM
I didn't hesitate to buy this game, love the Magic Encyclopedia games

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions comments and reviews

[Post New]by dewieee on May 2, 10 10:20 AM
I find this game very different and enjoyable, not to mention a bit challenging. And, I am hard to please. Most of us are tiring of the same old basic HOG and are anxious for the developers to find a way to keep us interested. This one did. I will be buying it. Happy Sunday.

zoohouse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by zoohouse on May 2, 10 10:29 AM
Just finished the demo and got thru Chapter 1. I loved it and will be buying. I actually liked the switching back and forth for the views, made it more challenging. If the other chapters take as long, this game could be 5 hours which is really long for me. Mini games are rather easy, for those who may care.

mjc570
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by mjc570 on May 2, 10 10:39 AM
Can someone tell me what FROG stands for? HOG and IHOG I know, but what is this? Thanks

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on May 2, 10 10:52 AM
This is a tricking one. I can not make up my mind if I like it enough to buy or it's just OK. I can't decide. There is just something about this game that puts me on the fence.

My Likes -- Graphics are good and objects are just challenging enough to find that they keep me interested. I like the potions required to find objects in each scene. The game has mini-games and the developer was generous, you can skip them. The mini-games were not difficult. There is some interaction. I believe that this game will have 3-5 hours of play time. More if you take your time and enjoy the game. Less if you skip the mini-games. Hints are generous.

My Can't Make Up My Mind -- This is one of the games that you have to find objects in pieces. After a while, I get bored with this. I want to keep working through the storyline. This game requires you to work back and forth to complete the chapter or "chapter within a chapter." I think I like this, but I have to "think" on it -- . The mini-games are plentiful, almost too much so. I found myself skipping them so that I could keep with this story. The game is not timed. For this game, this works. For some, a game without a timer is a "no-no." I like the potions required to complete the tasks, but sometimes, this too was too much. But, again, this was very different from other hidden objects games so I have to say that once I got into it, "I think I like it,"

My Bottomline -- Some will like this game, others will not, and some will be like me and be on the fence. I will put this game on my maybe list. and 1/2 out of five for creativity, graphics, diversity of gameplay. The rest, I just don't know --

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on May 2, 10 10:58 AM
OLDBAY wrote:I bought this game from another site & loved it ..Once you figure out how this game works ...which could be a bit frustrating ..I't's nothing but fun ..!!! At least for me anyway ...So if you have the patience to get thru the first chapter ,,you will get the satisfaction of a very enjoyable game,,..I gave this game 5 stars ,,

I have to say this too!!! ..I finished this game with out a walkthrough ,,Very frustrating,,But well worth it ....Cheers ...

Ditto on all points. I couldn't wait either. I'm glad I didn't use a walkthru. Tons of fun and very, very satisying. Graphics were "over the top!"

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 2, 10 12:07 PM
Chexmixmonet wrote:Darn, I just bought this three days ago from the other site. DAAAAARRRRNNNNNNNN

so sorry

i did the demo from the developer and decided to wait for BFG to put it out, although i was biting my lip through impatiently! when i saw it come up, i said 'i have to get this game!'

the changes between illusion and reality are sometimes simple and sometimes totally and completely different, but the transition is so smooth and works without disrupting the game... it's not like you have to sit there and wait for the new screen, and then wait when you want to change it back... it just happens! move your mouse and you change the path of the light bending illusions, exposing the reality hidden behind them...

i don't miss the hints - i've kinda given up on a good hint system in a complex game like this... they either tell you what you already know you need to do, but never tell you HOW, or they simply give blanket goals that you know have to be met at some point, but aren't really concerned with right now... in any case, i just massage the "little grey cells" a little more and do my best to muddle through...

the interesting backdrops to the story enhance the journey you're on and make the game simply wonderful! hope you enjoy!!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 2, 10 12:12 PM
I like it and I bought it elsewhere the first week of April. If I had known it was coming here so soon, I might have waited...keyword being 'might'. Actually, I needed a good game to play and this one was available.

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on May 2, 10 1:21 PM
I'm going to go ahead and sticky this Comments and Reviews thread so everyfishie will be able to easily access it.

Thanks everyone!

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on May 2, 10 1:24 PM
mjc570 wrote:Can someone tell me what FROG stands for? HOG and IHOG I know, but what is this? Thanks

Hi

FROG equates to fractured object game. It's when you find pieces of an object to make a whole object. There is no list of individual objects. For instance, there may be 5 or 6 pieces of a rope you would have to locate in order to obtain the whole rope.

Hope this helped.

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 1:25:38 PM PST

mjc570
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by mjc570 on May 2, 10 1:37 PM
Thanks! THat makes more sense than "French Robot Object Game" or the other possibilities I came up with . . . .

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on May 2, 10 2:03 PM
I totally agree with comments. This is a really beautiful game and I am thoroughly enjoying scratching the old grey cells. I loved the first two, and I bought this one without even doing the demo. Thank you to the developers again for creating an outstanding game.

ember89 wrote:
Chexmixmonet wrote:Darn, I just bought this three days ago from the other site. DAAAAARRRRNNNNNNNN

so sorry

i did the demo from the developer and decided to wait for BFG to put it out, although i was biting my lip through impatiently! when i saw it come up, i said 'i have to get this game!'

the changes between illusion and reality are sometimes simple and sometimes totally and completely different, but the transition is so smooth and works without disrupting the game... it's not like you have to sit there and wait for the new screen, and then wait when you want to change it back... it just happens! move your mouse and you change the path of the light bending illusions, exposing the reality hidden behind them...

i don't miss the hints - i've kinda given up on a good hint system in a complex game like this... they either tell you what you already know you need to do, but never tell you HOW, or they simply give blanket goals that you know have to be met at some point, but aren't really concerned with right now... in any case, i just massage the "little grey cells" a little more and do my best to muddle through...

the interesting backdrops to the story enhance the journey you're on and make the game simply wonderful! hope you enjoy!!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on May 2, 10 2:07 PM
Didn't even make it through the demo. Gave up trying to place the stars, let alone trying to find all the pieces of whatever. This particuliar FROG is not for me!!

[Post New]by primrose188 on May 2, 10 2:14 PM
I have downloaded this game from two different places and it will not let me use my mouse.
I have loads of games Big Fish and this have never happen before.
Dose anyone know what is wrong

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 2, 10 2:21 PM
I like all the Magic Encyclopedia games. This one is a bit more difficult in a way because you have to keep changing modes. If it wasn't for the hints, I might have become to frustrated to continue. I like the theme, the graphics, the sound effects, music... pretty much everything about this game. And..I didn't even finish chapter 1 in the demo so I'm thinking it's a good 3-4 hour game, which to me is worth buying. I plan to use one of my credits I earned in April.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 2, 10 2:48 PM
primrose188 wrote:I have downloaded this game from two different places and it will not let me use my mouse.
I have loads of games Big Fish and this have never happen before.
Dose anyone know what is wrong

i had to close the game and reopen to get my cursor to show up after i had alt+tab'd to do something else for a minute [shut down auto scan] and the cursor popped right up when i started the game again... although, as was pointed out in the thread "no cursor" i was freaking out over nothing because i have the touch screen... but the quick fix should work... my advice would be to turn off the custom cursor as soon as you are able - just click "options" and take care of the problem at the root!

good luck

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 2:50:19 PM PST

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on May 2, 10 4:04 PM
I beta'd this game and bought it as soon as it came out on another site. It is the best game I have played in ages. It's a long game and very difficult. I was forced to play without a walkthrough and except for one spot where I got stuck (really just needed to know that I should continue looking there and didn't need any other tools), this really added to my enjoyment...what a feeling of accomplishment when I finished! Yes, it is very different from any other game I've played and yes, you are switching from one type of view to another (because one set is filled with illusions). the toughest part of the game is near the beginning (on the ship) so once you're past that, you will have the hang of it and will have an easier time of moving forward. It is definitely an adventure and not a straight HOG so if you're not ready to put your brain to work, don't bother. Yes, it's frustrating at times when the hint says "try looking at it differently" or "you need to go somewhere else" but you need to trust it that what you need is either on the other illusion view or at another location. There are very interesting ways of uncovering other locations and places to look that are not particularly obvious but are not impossible either. I have recommended this game to every gamer I know and sent a note to the developer congratulating them on a job well done. A must buy IMHO.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on May 2, 10 4:13 PM
Oooh! Like it! I kind of like the switching - keeps you guessing where everything is. Once I get my freebie, this will get purchased!

What were the first two Magic Encyclopedia games? I have ME Moon Light, but what's the other?

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 4:22:39 PM PST

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 2, 10 4:30 PM
stanliness wrote:Oooh! Like it! I kind of like the switching - keeps you guessing where everything is. Once I get my freebie, this will get purchased!

What were the first two Magic Encyclopedia games? I have ME Moon Light, but what's the other?

It's just plain old Magic Encyclopedia ,,,which seems ancient compared to this one..Play it & you will see what I mean !!!

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on May 2, 10 5:41 PM
I really enjoy this game! An IHOG - or FROG if you like - cleverly reinvented with two different ways of looking at every scene. An evil illusionist has changed everything with illusions, so in every scene you have to find a way to see past the illusions to find what you're looking for. Basically you first search through the scene the normal way, then use your illusion-breaker tool and look it over again. (At least from chapter 2 and onwards.) It works like you hold a lens over part of the picture, where some things shows up when you hold the lens over it, while others turn up when you move the lens away. By moving the lens back and forth, you can easily see the hidden things popping in and out of view, so the hints weren't necessary all that often.

The graphics are clear and bright, and the scenes are drawn instead of using photos, which allows for much more colourful and imaginative scenes. The picture style and quality resembles games like Love and Death - Bitten and Deadtime stories, and this game absolutely warrants to be compared to these games.

There are no junk piles in this game, instead things are discreetly and cleverly hidden in every scene. Well enough hidden that I had to search for them, but not impossibly so, and no dark items on black backgrounds etc. The items were fragmented, but easily found by moving the illusion breaker tool back and forth, and the hints are unlimited and quickly recharging.

The story and the characters are amusing and perky, and I had to laugh at the Egyptian gods behaving like children and stealing each other's toys...

There are five chapters, with five locations in each. You need to go back and forth between the locations a bit, but not overly much, and all fractions of an item are always at the same location so you don't need to keep searching for things that are located elsewhere.

I'll give this game out of five.

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 5:42:20 PM PST

Go to: