general tips thread

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:general tips thread

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 27, 17 9:55 PM
skpjazz wrote:And...I was trying to get everything just short of not doing the battles. I gave up my OCD because I kept getting mad at the computer outsmarting me!

BTW, because of your "strange" sense of humor , I will have to go back in Owl Rescue to see "those" tiles you're referring to!

You're not the only one. I'm glad Lyndy20 shared her tips or I wouldn't have figured it out either. The sequence pattern was throwing me off in the beginning too because I was trying to do it from the top down instead of bottom up, or I'd be looking at the opponent's sequence instead of mine. Keep trying with the tips...I can usually win battles in one attempt now unless the computer happens to get really lucky or I messed up with leaving a large setup on the board.

LOL note to developers: It's just not a good idea to use brown with lumpy and wet looking and have it spread all over a level to boot. But hey, I'm a MLT so I can't really complain, right?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:level 27-help!

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 27, 17 10:01 PM
cabanaeast18 wrote:he room with the triangles - can't finish. It's something simple, but I can't figure!

If you mean those blank-looking spots that have a triangular shaped cutout in them, those are a type of blocked tile which requires you finding a triangular shaped jewel in another room in the level. This jewel will be a single jewel that pops up from a covered tile somewhere, and you have to either drop it off the bottom of the room or explode a bomb or amphora next to it to get it to your tools collection on the left side of the screen. Then when you go back to the room with the triangular cutouts, the jewel will automatically unlock all those spots for you to match any gold tiles hiding underneath.

Later, you will start getting other blocked tiles with different cutout shapes in them, and those will need jewels to be found of that shape. You will even start seeing rooms with multiple cutouts in them requiring several different jewels.

[update] I just noticed skpjazz posted a reply while I was composing my post. If it's not the cutouts specifically you're asking about, I agree with her post on missing some optional component in the room, if you aren't getting a check mark for that room in the map.

Edited on 09/27/2017 at 10:15:48 PM PST

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Sep 28, 17 10:25 PM
Hi SynthpopAddict,

Thank you that worked.
I just made sure that once I cleared a screen that I then tried to do the Match 6 or 7. Some screens are easier to do than others.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 29, 17 7:33 AM
I think this game's endless:

-With there not really being a storyline plus my being pretty sure that a level I just finished was a repeat of an earlier one, I really feel there is no end to the game and will play only until the castle is completed before retiring the game. If you've played any of the earlier games by this developer you'll remember that with many of them you would get some type of storyline ending somewhere, and then the game would go to endless mode. Since Match Ventures doesn't really have much of a storyline and the leprechaun has been repeating himself for several levels on me now, I think this game is the same way as Runefall except perhaps without a storyline ending cutscene sequence.

[update] Yes, this game goes to endless mode once you've bought all the castle upgrades. This took me 68 levels, earning the badge on all levels.

Edited on 10/01/2017 at 11:50:14 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 1, 17 6:24 AM
Can't find tool(s) for another room:

The generalized strategy for playing any level is the same, but just happens to get extremely confusing. Keep matching over all covered tiles except webs, ice, and jewel cutout pieces. If no tools are appearing in the obvious area, start matching next to the fog until something appears. Tools can be underneath any type of covered tile (including webs, ice, and jewel cutouts), but matches will not clear the exceptions I mentioned. Webs, ice, and jewel cutouts require the wind powerup, fire powerup, and finding jewels in other rooms respectively to remove them.

If the covered tile is a grid tile, you have to explode either a bomb or amphora next to it to clear it as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The game quickly becomes a long drawn out process where you can only get fragments of any room done at any time, and there are up to 8 rooms in a level! This means you're going to spend a LOT of time going around in circles on the map until you've gotten every little nook and cranny of every room opened up. Happy hunting.

Edited on 10/01/2017 at 6:27:09 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 1, 17 11:59 AM
Final thoughts: (I'm no longer playing)

-It looks possible to run out of minigames (the ones that appear when you open some of the blue locks) if you play long enough. On level 68 I didn't get a mirror (spot the differences) minigame; it just took me straight to the next room once I used the mirror.

-Buying moves doesn't cause you to lose the level badge.

-Earning the badge for a level is more a personal accomplishment and other than getting you a bit more gold to build the castle sooner, doesn't do much for your game.

-I never cracked the secret to winning the "8 moves in 5 seconds" trophy so wouldn't recommend trying to beat your head against any walls to finish your trophy case...it doesn't appear possible IMO. This is the only potential glitch I uncovered while playing.

-I don't know how many unique levels there are, but they definitely started to repeat long before I made it to level 68.

I have officially retired Match Ventures as of this point and will not be replaying, so the pond is on their own from here, although I will still lurk and answer questions if I can. Happy gaming!

drustorm
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Keys for Treasure Chests

[Post New]by drustorm on Oct 1, 17 10:58 PM
Where do these pop? Are they in the same area the chest is in? Or can they be anywhere on the level? I'm completely stumped as to how to get keys to open treasure chests.

Any hints?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 2, 17 6:05 AM
Hi drustorm, silver keys for chests are randomly hidden somewhere within the levels. Keep looking underneath the assorted blocked/covered tiles.

kamni
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by kamni on Oct 9, 17 7:18 AM
There's an arrow that keeps coming up which is really annoying pointing at the things that need doing (even after they've been done). I've turned off the tutorial but it still keeps coming up how do I get rid of it.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 9, 17 7:24 AM
Hi kamni, I don't remember seeing anything like that when I played. When I went through the game I left the tutorials on and it was a bit annoying at times, but all the popups, etc. were pretty much done by level 12 or so. Maybe see if there's a box to turn off move hints in the options?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 9, 17 6:00 PM
Unconfirmed tip possible workaround for game freezing:

As stated earlier, I've retired Match Ventures and will not be replaying. I never experienced any freezing issues, "stuck in battle room with nothing happening" freezes, or apparent "tool disappearance frozen rooms". However, someone posted elsewhere that toggling the game mode between normal and relaxed regenerated the level they were currently on, so if your game is frozen, couldn't hurt to try this.

Normal mode is limited moves, but the move counter is very generous if you only want to do the gold tiles and find tools. Considering how badges really don't mean much in Match Ventures, normal mode shouldn't necessarily be thought of as intimidating.

P.S. - As I stated in the tech issues thread, if your game is frozen AND you notice your computer is getting seriously hot, you should uninstall the game and request a game credit from CS because this means your system can't handle the game. I am not responsible if your computer gets fried...

Edited on 10/09/2017 at 6:03:04 PM PST

[Post New]by 92626cm on Oct 15, 17 6:42 PM
I was able to get the "make 8 matches in 5 seconds" trophy during a cascade that happened after one move. It was purely accidental.

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Skpjazz

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Oct 24, 17 11:39 AM
thank you, Skpjazz!

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Nov 11, 17 3:04 PM
SynthpopAddict - "As stated earlier, I've retired Match Ventures and will not be replaying. I never experienced any freezing issues, "stuck in battle room with nothing happening" freezes, or apparent "tool disappearance frozen rooms". However, someone posted elsewhere that toggling the game mode between normal and relaxed regenerated the level they were currently on, so if your game is frozen, couldn't hurt to try this."

First up, thanks for all your help SynthpopAddict. On the freezing issue, I had to restart under another name after the battle room froze on me and then I couldn't go further as I wasn't getting the tools I needed. I read the post of toggling between normal and relaxed and it has worked for me twice so far. It may be that you have to do it a couple of times but it does seem to work. Have to say, I now ignore the battle room and have managed to get to level 61 so far.

Edited on 11/11/2017 at 3:05:15 PM PST

Go to: