firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 21, 17 6:09 PM
Like a lot of other MCF fans, I was quite disappointed in this one. It does not feel like an MCF story line and the characters are shallow, nothing unusual or interesting about them. One of my favorite aspects of MCF are the quirky door lock puzzles. While the door locks in this game did have multiple levels to solve, they were really easy and had none of the quirkiness we all love so much. There was no snarkiness in the dialog. There was nothing surprising. This game did not engage in the mental stimulation that a Master Detective deserves. On top of that, it was very short, only 5 hours for me for the main game, and I am not a fast player.

One thing that was missing that I like is a secret room in the bonus section that has an object to find in each scene of the game. I did not like that there was no way to go back and find the missing pieces of the letter (edited to say that you can find the missing pieces when you replay the HOGs), neither was there a way to go back and find missing collectables. There were several achievements that required doing poorly in the game, such as skipping puzzles and HOPs.

This is a pretty good game as far as HOPs go, but not a 5 star HOP. As an MCF game, I would give it a grudging 3 stars.

Edited on 11/21/2017 at 11:21:25 PM PST

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Nov 21, 17 6:16 PM
How worse can the games get? Is this supposed to be MCF? I own 10 of these and this is not the caliber of MCF whatsoever. It has to be a different group of people turning out this inferior junk. This is by far the worst MCF game of all and does not even hold a candle or deserve to be compared to any of the others. It does not warrant the title of MCF. MCF has always had a uniqueness of its own. It was in a class by itself. But this is in a class of trash all its own. I am not an advanced player, nor do I like harder...harder...harder, which is why I don't own some of the others. I do not like puzzles and skipped them in this game as I do most other games. The only thing I found amusing was the name CROAKER. Other than that, this game is a complete joke, and it's not going to be on me, because I am not buying it. [Removed by Moderator]

The HOS were so bad, I wish there had been an alternative, and I have never said that. Poor graphics...junk pile making it difficult to see the items because of the annoying reflective light shining in the scene. And the hos was repeated which is a real turn off. LAZY and no effort put into this game. How about the slipper used to scoop the nuts? Revolting. And the potato? Are they serious!? Story line isn't even worth mentioning. 2nd hos I did not even finish, it was so nauseating. I exited the entire game, so I could take an antacid.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 11/22/2017 at 9:06:56 AM PST

dwarwick60
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by dwarwick60 on Nov 21, 17 7:05 PM
As a owner of all MCF games I was sooo excited and got up early to start playing this newest MCF game. I liked the story line and since I am a fan of HOP there was a fair amount included plus a favorite of mine - morphing items and you gotta love the leaves! I could pretty easily figure out what my next steps were - they were not as complex as Return to Ravenhurst where I struggled to figure out where I was and what to do. The puzzles were great, I played on the hard difficulty level and they were challenging enough for me. The graphics and sounds were great. My only complaint is that is seemed too short - or was that just me? Still a little disappointed as it seems others are. Madame Fate, Fate's Carnival and the Ravenhurst series were fantastic and I have seen quite the decline over the past several years. Please put some more heart into these - it's a whole year to work on them! Good luck everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

dwarwick60
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by dwarwick60 on Nov 21, 17 7:20 PM
riverdiver wrote:Haven't finished the game yet, hope it's ok to share some impressions.

It is funtastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shut down my mobile, barricaded the door, draw the curtains and am enjoying, enjoying, enjoying every single second, every single pixel of the game.

Thanks for that, I laughed so hard I was crying!

blessed34
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by blessed34 on Nov 21, 17 7:37 PM
I too was excited to see the new MCF game but was massively disappointed. I found myself bored with the plot not even half way through the demo. There is nothing special about this game and after going back to a junk pile HOS in the same place for the second time.....I was done. I didn't even finish the demo and this is the first MCF out of all of them that I won't be buying.

Edited on 11/21/2017 at 7:39:40 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 21, 17 7:59 PM
Hello friends! Well, I've lost count on this one...8, 9? As usual, I mostly review on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job of that than I. For the most part, this game has excellent graphics, with a lot of detail. Yes, there is blurring in close ups as usual, but that seems to be the norm these days. Animation is well done, and the movements are realistic and fairly smooth. The colors are clear and nice, even though we do have some purples here and there. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen quite nicely. Voices are very well done, being age and character appropriate, with emotion. You can skip through dialog if you read faster than they speak. There seemed to be a little more character interaction in this addition, but not a whole lot. It was sporadic. The music seems to play in the background most all the time and is soothing, until something is about to happen. The sound FX aren't too bad, mostly birds and the like, but we have footsteps, opening doors, etc.

HOPs are nicely done, but not as varied as they were in the last game. I found straight lists and interactive silhouettes. I did not see that you can switch to another game. You do need to find small pieces of paper in the HOPS. They don't jump off the page at you, and are easy to forget, so be on the lookout. Items are not difficult to see, but can often be somewhat hidden. I did see that we repeated a few HOPs as well. Puzzles weren't all that challenging, but I did find one that was frustrating...nothing really different. Hint system was a bit frustrating, when it said "nothing more to do here right now." That isn't a hint! We do have the transport feature in this one. This is very helpful, as you do a lot of back-tracking. There is a jump map, but you don't really need it with the transport feature. Other than that, the map is quite plain.

Collectibles were better in this game than the last. We have to "kick" 10 piles of leaves. Not sure why, but once it said "childhood memories." Nothing played, so who knows. There are 16 morphing objects as well. Not as easy to spot as you think and not in every scene. There are also 9 "lore cards," that give you bits and pieces of information about...what else, folk lore. These also are not in every scene and are very easy to forget to pick up.

The story was interesting, even though it is somewhat predictable. The demo was quite short, but I found that I was drawn in to the story fairly quickly. For some reason, I need to find out what's happening here and why. Not much challenge here, but the game flowed well and was easy to follow. Plus, I like the story. I think most all levels of players will find this one interesting and worth the price of a CE. I rarely give a game 5 stars, and this one is no exception, only because of the few things I mentioned above. Even so, I still think it's worth a 4.25. Yes, I am adding this one to my collection.

Try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Nov 21, 17 8:00 PM
I agree that this is bad for MCF. I could get it with my 2 game credits but I think I will save them. This game is nothing like the previous ones. It feels just like any other game offered. Nothing special about it. I'm sorry, I didn't give a full review as I demo'ed it this morning.Will have to seriously think about continuing my membership.

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Nov 22, 17 1:44 AM
Hespera wrote:Like I've said for the past few years...why keep referring to these games as "Mystery Case Files" ?

Please, please, please, retire the 'Mystery Case Files' franchise name. By doing so, you will stop the delusion the current game makers create using the franchise name and the fraud, deceipt and disappointment the gamers encounter when they buy the game based on the franchise name.

This game is NOT to the STANDARDS of a Mystery Case Files game.

Exactly my feelings

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 22, 17 3:43 AM

Edited on 11/22/2017 at 9:04:03 AM PST

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Nov 22, 17 6:32 AM

Edited on 11/22/2017 at 9:04:23 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Nov 22, 17 9:02 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just a few quick points to address. This thread is for reviews of Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition. You're welcome to post your reviews, but questions about other people's reviews should be taken to that person by PM. This is also true of questions to Moderators about the guidelines. We will be happy to answer questions and address concerns, but this thread is not the place for those types of posts.

We also ask that posts be about the game itself. Reviews of the developer are not part of that, and any concerns about them should be sent directly to a Moderator by PM. Keep reviews in this thread limited to the content of the game and its merits/flaws.

As a reminder, here are the guidelines to keep in mind:

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

Thank you everyone for helping keep the forums an accessible place for our players so they can find reviews quickly and easily.

bfgArinelle

Edited on 12/03/2017 at 10:57:49 AM PST

[Post New]by baglady159 on Nov 22, 17 9:32 AM
I played the beta for this game and from the majority of the reviews I can tell they changed nothing. I just finished replaying Dire Grove and Return to Ravenhurst and thoroughly enjoyed myself. This one does not even come close to the old MCF games from the past. BF used to do the MCF games and they were excellent and we all looked forward to seeing them at Thanksgiving. Since Eipix has taken over they've lost their appeal and excitement and are now just ordinary HO games that aren't even fun anymore. I wish the team from BF that used to spend months putting together this fantastic series (or what used to be fantastic) would once again develop this series and make many, many fishies look forward to the Thanksgiving game again.

[Post New]by MaryCricket on Nov 22, 17 2:37 PM
I have the ones with Dire Grove,, which I liked, I do however find MFC very disturbing (scary like, . so this is a no buy for me, I do play the demo but this is it

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Nov 22, 17 3:02 PM
I love love love this series and own all the previous ones. Sad to say I won't be buying this one. Boring and has nothing to do with Ravenhurst and Dire Grove, locations I love. I came to this forum specifically to see if I'm missing something or if others feel the same way. Sadly, many do. Time to retire the detective.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Nov 22, 17 4:27 PM
Meh. It's fine for a standard HOPA (3.5 stars I would say) but like a bunch of my other pond friends have stated, this is just not an MCF. I'll sum up with a bit of dialogue spoken by our character early on in the demo "Compared to the locks at Ravenhearst, this is nothing." Indeed.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 22, 17 8:15 PM
I agree with most of the other posts. This game is not true to the MCF games developed by BFG, the game is boring, and gameplay and storyline are just like most games from the current developer. I kept playing the demo hoping there would be some feature that would make it stand out from other HOPA games and bring it back up to the standards of MCF games from a couple of years ago, but I found nothing that made this game stand out from the rest of the HOPA offerings. I am really disappointed, and probably won't be buying the CE.

[Post New]by Bamaman1951 on Nov 23, 17 6:35 AM
Very disappointed in the short play of this game. Epix is usually better than this. I 'm tempted to request a refund of the price.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 23, 17 7:04 AM
Swimming against the tide of negative comments, I really enjoyed this demo and will be buying the full version. I chose to ignore the MCF badge (and the ludicrous attempt at the Queen's voice) and simply played it as another Eipix HOPA, albeit one that isn't an exact copy of all the others since it employs some of the original MCF aspects.

There have been complaints that the HOS are all ' lists' but that is exactly how they were in the original games; basic lists with no morphs and often very small items that were difficult to find. Eipix have tried to replicate the typewriter sound (when you find an object) from the original game but it's not quite right. Still, they tried. Another comment was that the game is nothing to do with Ravenhearst or Dire Grove. Why on earth would anyone think it should be?? It's called 'The Revenant's Hunt', not 'Going back to Ravenhearst via Dire Grove'. This is a separate game, of course it's nothing to do with the others. Perhaps Eipix should have let the Revenant hunt for Madame Fate, just to keep some people happy

If you ignore the MCF tag, this is a good game: at least it's not a cookie-cutter sequel to an endless series and all the better for it. I came across one 'super-puzzle' which I though was excellent; I hope there's more in the main game. As usual the graphics are very good, the map transports and the SG thankfully shows how to solve a puzzle if you get stuck; lately there seem to be an influx of games that don't bother. The story was quite interesting to me and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. I didn't find it the least bit boring.

A buy for me and a step up for Eipix; a much-needed change from their usual fare. Perhaps changing the title to 'Mystery Cases:The Revenant's Hunt' would have elicited some more favourable comments. It was undoubtedly a mistake to call it MCF, since it doesn't live up to the original BFG developed games. But everyone knows that Eipix took over the series, so honestly, what would you expect.

I had no technical issues with the demo, which lasted 76 minutes. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 11/24/2017 at 3:28:11 AM PST

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 23, 17 2:08 PM
I wonder if anyone noticed the first character we encounter...the gossipy lady.

She's a stereotype and it's pretty obvious that the developers are having a little joke about who they perceive to be the audience for these games.

So laugh , developers, but THIS gossipy woman who helped finance most of your careers will no longer be buying games by you.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 23, 17 2:13 PM
angelfish106 wrote:

As usual the graphics are very good, the map transports and the SG thankfully shows how to solve a puzzle if you get stuck; lately there seem to be an influx of games that don't bother. The story was quite interesting to me and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. I didn't find it the least bit boring.

I was open minded and quite willing to move on from the old ravenhearst saga...however I did not find the graphics very good at all.
Soulless would be a good descriptive term .
Even retro games from the 1990's had more heart.

Go to: