Hamlet

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Hamlet

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 12, 10 4:58 AM
tribrach wrote:O.k. yes I did like (& bought) the quirky humor of Samorest & I didn't find the fishing mini-game too hard....BUT.....ahhhh! then I got to the guitar mini-game & that's where I stopped patting myself on the back for being so logical
Logic had nothing to do with it..I even got to the last 5 note sequence "*******"
How cruel to make me start all over again...no way, I've wasted too much time on the illogical "note bashing"
Think I need a game of Solitaire to bring down the blood pressure

thats the game i was talking about.....they should of listened to the beta testers and left it out

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on May 12, 10 5:51 AM
johnski wrote:I have been buying games off of sites like BF as far back a 2004 and this looks like just about one of the stupidest games ever. What were they thinking when they released this game. It does not belong here it belongs on some kids game site. Not even going to bother downloading this stupid looking game. Come on Big Fish give us some good games for a change.
This is NOT a "kid's game." Yes, the graphics are more simplistic (reminded me of an old adventure game, Moop and Dreadly and the Treasure of Bing Bong Island), but the gameplay and story are for adults. It's an humorous take on Shakespeare's play, Hamlet, with some tweaking to explain the Hero (a character from the future who accidentally lands on Hamlet and knocks him out).

Most of the puzzles are diabolically clever, and the arcade "boss fights" are pretty tough. The developer actually listened and changed the first one, beating Polonius, to make it much easier, although it's still tough. Note: I got this over a month ago, elsewhere.

So, if you don't like adventure games with tough puzzles, or arcade games that require quick reflexes, then this may not be for you.

I loved it, even if it took me forever to complete the first boss fight.

Again, this is NOT a kid's game. The developer has hinted at more games in the future, and I, for one, look forward to the next effort (more of Shakespeare's plays?).

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 12, 10 6:08 AM
I have had this game for over a month , & have been stuck at the guitar scene since the first day , I like this type of game just wish someone could get me through that area so I could maybe finish this game or advance to the next perplexing puzzle .So here's my invite to anyone out there who can help ,Oh by the way BYOB

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 12, 10 6:11 AM
I don`t like this game, not my cup of tea

[Post New]by overthehill60 on May 12, 10 6:53 AM
Thank you, ihateshopping, you said everything I was thinking of saying. Played this game from the developers site and loved it. After Samorost 1 and 2, I could not resist this game. It takes time and patience to get through so if you're not a puzzle person this game is probably not for you. As for the others of us who enjoy a difficult puzzle format, try the game an see how you like it.
Just to add a note, you can try Samorost 1 and 2 on BF online game site. Once you try those you'll be able to get some idea about Hamlet.
Have a great gaming day and God Bless you all.

mszoomy
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by mszoomy on May 12, 10 6:57 AM
I'm enjoying the game so far.
The hint system kind of sucks, it would be better if they gave you another/different hint if you didn't get the first one. I'm stuck on the lock/compass and totally can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. I think I have to get the 4 compass points, but I can't figure out how.
Not a kid's game at all unless your kid is really smart. But then I never would have thought when I needed a crab, to click on the crab in the "thought bubble" a kid might have tried that but my adult brain says that it would be stupid. I was wrong, found that out by mistake.
Wish there was a way to bypass puzzles or get a better hint, for that reason alone it's a no buy for me. I don't mind enjoy puzzles, but sometimes I like to know what it s that I'm trying to accomplish.
If you like the kind of puzzle where part of the puzzle if figuring out what the puzzle is, then you will like this game!!

Edited on 08/02/2010 at 1:35:04 AM PST

[Post New]by overthehill60 on May 12, 10 7:09 AM
Thank you, ihateshopping. You put into words exactly what I was thinking. I say try the Samorost games on BF online site and then try Hamlet, especially if you're a puzzle fan. The game isn't all that long unless you run into a really difficult puzzle and then it takes some time to work out the answer. The puzzles keep you on your toes and make you think. My kind of game.
Hope all of you BF gamers have a wonderful day.

Don't know why me post came up twice. Excuse the faux pas.

Edited on 05/12/2010 at 7:10:38 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 12, 10 7:49 AM
i love the puzzles where you have to think, but the boss battle with the quick click notes is too quick . i wish there was a option to skip...i also like oldbay bought and have not played since....no walkthru, hint, or anything short of perfect reflexes will help with that minigame

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on May 12, 10 8:22 AM
I see the BFG Walkthrough is up http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/hamlet-walkthrough/

Maybe I'll demo this sometime, doesn't sound like something I'll enjoy...but I still have lots of games to play

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on May 12, 10 8:38 AM
OLDBAY wrote:I have had this game for over a month , & have been stuck at the guitar scene since the first day , I like this type of game just wish someone could get me through that area so I could maybe finish this game or advance to the next perplexing puzzle .So here's my invite to anyone out there who can help ,Oh by the way BYOB
If you got the original version, have you checked back to the site where you got it? The developer was on a couple other forums and listened to the complaints about beating Polonius...he changed it and made it easier. You might want to check back and download the updated version.

Sage103082
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,562 Posts

[Post New]by Sage103082 on May 12, 10 9:24 AM
With the guitar scene once I clicked on the ? for help it slowed down the music notes down alot and it was so much easier to click on.

I actually liked this game alot. It makes you think.

[Post New]by ronnievanzant13 on May 12, 10 9:59 AM
GLAD I DIDINT BUY IT...I WONT

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 12, 10 12:05 PM
Maybe it's me (I seem unable to find my cup of tea at BFG lately ), but I thought this game was somewhat silly and upsetting.
First thing I didn't like was that as I was at the beginning scene I missed the story because... I tried to raise the volume! Wht the heck would the scenes advance by touching the volume wheel in my keyboard is something I can't understand (it happened in other cutscenes as I deliberately tried again).
I also didn't like there was no way to speed up the dialogue/thought bubbles and that the cursor disappears sometimes. I felt I was forced to a rhythm that was not mine.
I actually liked the idea of using Hamlet, and thought the graphic art was fresh (not beautiful, but at least different). Actually I started the game with high expectations.
But I was able to "solve" most of the puzzles merely by clicking around and seeing what happened. Not much thinking to do at all. Some of the puzzles seemed to make sense (you could see a logic of what to use where), but others I just solved by clicking my way out of them.
I thought some were really annoying (Claudius' guitar, octopuss' eyes) as apparently the challenge was to move the mouse quickly enough (and having the luck to hit on the right spot of the note in guitar one while listening to horrendous music). I didn't use the hint here as Sage103082 suggests. I was trying not to use it as the one time I did I found it unhelpful and it takes ages to charge in the first place.
I just needed the walkthrough twice (at the corridors to crown room and horse escape) as I couldn't see the logic and was feeling a bit dumb. In the horse one it was evident (as nothing else responded) you had to click on something in the circle. Why it is a spot instead of something else is a mystery to me. Also, I saw in the walkthrough they call it black dot, but in my screen they looked dark greem. For work reasons I have a regular calibrated screen. Usually I see black clearly.

I made it to the hourglass when my trial ended. I was clicking on each of the 4 trajectories and still the peeble bounced back. I am not sure as I played little in this stage, but I would say the trajectories were the same all the time. I'm not sure if this was like the secret hideout door one (can't think of anything more studpid than that).
It seems I had only one more scene to play. Obviously I'm not getting this. I've played other games of the sort that I liked more. At least they made me think.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on May 12, 10 12:20 PM
GREAT GAME! I loved it. I'm growing tired of all the HOG's and this was a refreshing change and challenging.

More!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 12, 10 3:08 PM
ihateshopping wrote:
OLDBAY wrote:I have had this game for over a month , & have been stuck at the guitar scene since the first day , I like this type of game just wish someone could get me through that area so I could maybe finish this game or advance to the next perplexing puzzle .So here's my invite to anyone out there who can help ,Oh by the way BYOB
If you got the original version, have you checked back to the site where you got it? The developer was on a couple other forums and listened to the complaints about beating Polonius...he changed it and made it easier. You might want to check back and download the updated version.

" OMG " I did it ....That means I do have a new game to play !!!!! I am so glad I came back to see what everybody thought of the game ,,,Don't know how I did it but I did it !!!!!! ...Now to the next ....puzzle ..I hope it doesn't require coordination ,,,Thank's !!!!!!

Edited on 05/12/2010 at 3:18:07 PM PST

[Post New]by sekhment36 on May 12, 10 6:10 PM
I too love RPG adventure type games and wish BF had more of them available. That being said, this is NOT the game to lure their customers to the genre. The premise is clever and the puzzles have been designed by someone with an understanding of how to match subtle irony and blatant sarcasm with the downright absurd. The puzzles attempt to be cute without falling to the lowest common denominator of stupidity. This design approach works in theory but not in practice. The problem isn't the puzzles themselves, the plot, the graphics or the sound. The problem is the speed. Even though the puzzles are out of the ordinary and interesting, the fact that they are downright impossible to complete with normal reaction time frustrated me so much that I decided not only to quit the game but to immediately uninstall it with a vengeance. My trial had not expired, I decided that I would obtain far more personal satisfaction in the act of obliterating the game files from my computer than I would have found trying to finish playing the thing.

In summary, a great idea, story has appeal, intellectual humor, but mini-games are so fast that all the game's other great qualities are invisible next to the speed you have to try and click on things!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 13, 10 3:21 AM
OLDBAY wrote:
ihateshopping wrote:

" OMG " I did it ....That means I do have a new game to play !!!!! I am so glad I came back to see what everybody thought of the game ,,,Don't know how I did it but I did it !!!!!! ...Now to the next ....puzzle ..I hope it doesn't require coordination ,,,Thank's !!!!!!

lol oldbay......i am going to try again too. i dont know if i have new version or not

Azeela
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Azeela on May 13, 10 5:20 AM
I like this game, but I think the tasks are too hard to figure out. I was really happy there was a walkthrough.. (maybe I'm just dumber than average). I would love if there had been more pointers/hints towards what needed to be done. Esp. those timed clicks..
Although I like it, I'd never pay for it though. And since I finished within the trial it's not even an issue. But I'd seriously feel it would have been a waste of money, had I bought it, and finished it 10 mins later..
All in all.. Good, but hard game, but too short to throw $7 at..

Just IMHO..

Cairobat
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Cairobat on May 13, 10 8:00 PM
I absolutely LOVE the graphics in this game. Unfortunately, I wont be buying it because, as embarassing as this is to admit, the game was way, waaaay too hard for me. The "logical" actions needed to progress in the puzzles were just completely over my head. Also, I really think a load screen would have been a nice touch. Otherwise, cool game!

Edited on 05/13/2010 at 8:01:25 PM PST

[Post New]by StillBuffi on May 15, 10 2:42 AM
[ vicalana" ]I think it's cute and fun too, but I've given up - can't do the fishing quickly enough!"

Is THAT what I'm doing wrong? Just not clicking fast enough? I was ready to really like this game, but I can't make the penguins jump for the fish. If they don't, poor Ophelia will never get out of that cage? I hope she had time to say goodbye to her friends and what's left of her family, because I'm NEVER going to get the penguins off of her! I give up. I'm going to delete the thing. Too bad, too. I was having fun up until then.
StillBuffi

Go to: