mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: A Little Prince Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 8, 17 1:52 PM
Sigh. I played the beta - liked it. I played the demo - still liked it. So I bought it. Now I have completed the main game, and started the bonus game, and find myself not liking it so much

As LarkBea mentioned, there truly is very little linking this game to the story of "The Little Prince". The Prince, the fox, and the rose. All is else just a mish mash (I'm thinking Beauty and the Beast, mostly).

However, crazy story aside, the graphics and music are, as always, lovely, and there were plenty of morphing items and collectibles to find.

What I didn't like were the awful mini games - nearly all of them were ones I cannot do because I really suck at them and as a result, really dislike them. As a result, I ended up skipping most of them.

Adding insult to injury (I'm on a roll here, lol), there are only 3 chapters! I'm not sure if they are longer than in the other games, but 3? So I looked up the other games.
1: Nutcracker - 8 Chapters
2: A Christmas Carol - 6 Chapters
3: Hans Christian Anderson's Toy Soldier - 6 Chapters
4: Puss In Boots - 5 Chapters
5: The Gift Of The Magi - 5 Chapters

I'm trying to finish the bonus game (yet another Cat story), but I am struggling - it is even sillier (imo) than the main story. Sigh. Maybe next year's will be better - I can only hope, lol.

Cheers,

Jen

Well, I've had my coffee and finished the bonus chapter, and yes it is a little silly, but the graphics and colours and music are still glorious. So overall, my biggest gripe is with the mini-games - I was just so disappointed that most of them were the types I dislike. Sigh.
On a brighter note though, you should enjoy watching the snowman during the credits - he's a real hoot

Edited on 12/08/2017 at 2:51:22 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: A Little Prince Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 8, 17 8:10 PM
Hello friends! Well, we have another addition to this Holiday series. As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others who do a much better job than I. I love this series, so naturally, I have them all. The graphics are excellent, very clear and clean, with no blurring when going in and out of close up scenes. Game play was excellent, no problems at all during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen quite well. Colors weren't bad, but there seemed to be more purples in this one. Others in this series had exceptional colors, but this one fell a bit short. Voices are age and character appropriate, when we have them. Not a lot of character interaction in this game. It seems a little quieter than the others. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak, without missing any of the story line. Sound FX are very nice, but not many. Music is rather soothing and not really Christmas type music, other than a few bells here and there, so you don't get sick of hearing it. We have a helper in this one as well, but he is actually part of the story, which is fun. He isn't annoying, but occasionally will do squats if you don't use him for a while.

HOPs are a combination of interactive lists, silhouettes and finding pairs of objects. They are fairly clean and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to another game if you do not care for the HOPs. Puzzles are not really difficult, but some do take a little time and thought to complete. Help system is very helpful and we do have the transport feature, which saves a lot of travel time. You do a lot of back tracking to the same locations in this one...sometimes too much. I got a bit tired of seeing them so often. Strategy guide clearly identifies where collectibles are hidden in a scene. The jump map also shows where you may have missed a collectible as well.

Collectibles were nice. This is where the challenge came in. We need to find 48 puzzle pieces to complete 3 jigsaw puzzles. These pieces are easy to miss and there can be multiple pieces in a scene. We also have 26 morphing items, which are various things you would see at Christmas, i.e. a bow, a musical instrument, etc. They morph in and out quickly, but I didn't find any that were difficult to see. We also have 14 wedding guests to find. These are not as easy to spot as you think, as they blend in to the scenery quite well.

This story line is a little different, so I'm curious to see what is happening and why. Other than finding the collectibles, there isn't really a lot of challenge to this game. I down graded it a bit because of the constant back tracking to the same few locations, and the purple background. Even at that, I liked this game and gave it a 4.5. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable. Helps get you in the Christmas mood. Yes, I am adding this one to my CE collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 9, 17 5:30 AM
dancemom1, the only morphs I saw in the demo were snowmen. Does that change as the game progresses? (Anyone else who has an answer, please feel free to jump in.)

Edited on 12/12/2017 at 12:49:25 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 9, 17 9:23 AM
I have played the whole game now, this one was pretty long for me; maybe I'm just a bit worn out......

Music and graphics are nice, as usual can't tell you anything about voice overs since I always turn those off.

This game had a lot of mini games, some I really don't like so I skipped those, I found some of the instructions rather confusing and also had some I couldn't get to work at all (like the one with the birds or the one painting the doll), don't know if it was just me or if those mini games were just technically a bit wonky. I couldn't get the one with the lenses in the second chapter to work at all, my mouse could not turn the knobs.

The hint button was sometimes completely useless to me (again i. e. that darned doll painting), for me that needs a fix.

I had an issue with the map, in the second chapter when I got to the scene with the gnome the map only took me to that point and never into the little house. Why??
Also, supposedly the map shows all morphing objects, collectibles, and wedding guests. I always made sure that I had nothing left showing on the map so according to the map I should have had all morphs. However, once I checked the achievements I was missing 4 morphs...... HUH????
I also had a HOG scene I couldn't get out of after I finished it so had to shut the game down. Worked fine after that.

So I think I'll give this 3.5 stars.

uglyteacup
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by uglyteacup on Dec 9, 17 12:59 PM
I own all the Christmas Stories editions. As of an hour ago my collection includes this one. I find them charming, setting the Christmas spirit quite nicely at this time of year. Not only do I enjoy the game-play, I also utilize the screens and background music as a form of entertainment while embroidering and beading X-Mas stocking projects for my grandchildren. This year is no exception as we have a new grandson born this past September. Thank you Elephant Games for your delightful, and timely, Little Prince rendition.

Edited on 12/09/2017 at 1:00:20 PM PST

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Dec 9, 17 5:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking time to review Christmas Stories: A Little Prince Collector's Edition. I'm swimming by to briefly remind everyone of the Review Guidelines, specifically:

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Christmas Stories: A Little Prince Collector's Edition.

By keeping this thread focused on players' experiences with the game, we can ensure it's easy to navigate. If there's interest in information about other aspects of this game or Big Fish Games, you're welcome to PM me or one of my fellow moderators. We're always glad to provide answers.

bfgBeruna

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Dec 10, 17 8:45 AM
Another wonderful Christmas game from Elephant! Please keep them coming. Kudos to Elephant Games. Happy Holidays to all.

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Dec 11, 17 12:49 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 13, 17 12:34 PM
Finally bought it and played all of it. Wasn't crazy about the fool with it mini-games but liked the rest of it.

amburn76
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by amburn76 on Dec 14, 17 10:04 PM
Good heavens Dancemom1. What do you mean, no Christmas type music. There was Noel, Noel and Bring a Torch Janet Isabella (track one) which is one of my favorites. I played the Beta and waited breathlessly for the game to come out. I'm glad that I waited as it's charming with its touches of Beauty and the Beast. The colors are brilliant and the graphics are beautifully drawn. It's a soothing respite from the horrors, blood and guts game that keep appearing. Love it 5 stars.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 15, 17 2:11 AM
Yes, and the 4th track was the first Noel. I can't believe with all those Christmas trees and holiday magic feel people can say it's not a Christmas story. How can they say there's no Santa, when there is?

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 18, 17 9:44 AM
I may be the only one who uses the wallpaper and screensavers. I use the wallpaper for a day or so. I will keep the screensavers for this game for a while because they are festive and move.

I just thought it was so much fun watching it move. The snowman sways and his eyes move. Used the big black cat one for a while and his eyes move too.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Dec 23, 17 5:38 PM
I look forward to these games every year and this one certainly wasn't a disappointment. Loved everything about it. If I had to say anything negative it would be I didn't like the soundtrack much. But that's it.

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Dec 23, 17 6:57 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The best part was the snowman dancing during the credits. I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 26, 17 7:27 PM
parts of it were silly, but rather fun to play.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Dec 27, 17 5:55 AM
MLC60 wrote:The best part was the snowman dancing during the credits. I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

I agree about the snowman dancing to the jazz version of "Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella" (which I actually saved, which is rare). That was such fun! I also liked the Bonus game a lot more than the actual game itself. I have a super-fondness for the original "Nutcracker" game (which was brilliant) and the Nutcracker Cats who stole the show. Each year I look forward to the Christmas game and each year I am a little more disappointed. As with most series, they go on too long and get more and more cliche-ridden and less imaginative. This was so far off "Le Petit Prince" (although we do have a Prince, a Rose, and a Fox) it wasn't even amusing. I suppose I have to say it was worth the purchase (had a code from another CE game that would not run so no loss) just for the bonus game, which came close to the fun of the original. So, go through the game, watch the snowman, play the bonus, watch the snowman again, then go read the original book!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Dec 27, 17 9:25 PM
I simple adored this Christmas game The story, graphics, music everything
Valdy and many other fellow Fishies have given great positive reviews about this and for sure I am going play it again next year (which I seldom do)

I have to give this little joyus game a out of a possible 5 on my personal enjoy-ability scale.

Played on desktop pc running Win. 10 with no problems

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jan 3, 18 10:06 PM
I really enjoyed this game and it took me a number of days to complete. There were lots of things to collect, the graphics were stunning (I skipped the story so can't comment), but it's nice to play something other than dark scenery and god forbid, raining scenes.

There was a lot to do.

Though I was a bit disappointed in the bonus game in that there seemed to be a lot of HOPs which I always feel like this is cheating, i.e. using HOPs to extend the game rather than actually using additional game play.

I did find a glitch however. I had collected all the puzzle pieces and was looking forward to playing them when they disappeared and for the life of me, I couldn't find them anywhere.

After trying to find them in the bonus section, I gave up.

Go to: