biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:The games these days are really awful!!

[Post New]by biomix on May 14, 10 12:20 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Here is my chime in on this one...I agree. BF doesn't seem like the same site it used to be, does it. It is getting to the point that I don't bother going to BF first anymore. This isn't just a drought...it is more like they have jumped on the same bandwagon that most of the other sites have. I think it is obvious which games sell the most, get the most attention, and how unhappy we are with the slim pickings on here.

I could not have said it better myself. No., really I could not have.
I totally agree WolfenRaindancer. This doesn't seem like a drought. The are turning into 'the other sites' Not a good thing.

Should we not be making BFG aware of our dissatisfaction? How are we going to get to the developers. Through BFG, no?

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on May 14, 10 12:45 PM
Obviously every game doesn't appeal to every person every day. But lately the games have been of poor quality, for kids or just plain bad.

And the developers ARE producing games. BFG just isn't offering them.

Check out other sites like Gamezebo. They are constantly reviewing new games that BFG doesn't get.

It's very frustrating to see a highly rated HOG on another site and never to have it show up on BFG.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on May 14, 10 1:25 PM
I wondered if it was just me thinking "what can I download and play?" and there is nothing

But I do think it's more the developers getting games out too quickly, or before being tested properly that's letting us down, more than BFG. Or they seem to make subtle changes on their previous games and put it out as a new game.

BFG seem to only delay games so they can offer them at $6.99, or if a game is really popular and worth the price, they will offer the CE for $20, but most people would still rather wait for the standard edition. But they give you the choice sometimes I guess.

I personally don't like HOGs, TM games most of the time are too repetitive and hectic for me, and my netbook will only play certain resolution games, so I blame me for most of the limited games I can buy. I would buy more if they would work (Artist Colony & Little Folk of Farey to name 2).

But I do think the DDs have been mainly for kids lately, so that's a shame.

I was excited about this game, but I downloaded a trial from the developer site and I thought it seemed a bit childish. For some reason when I read the reviews I thought we were going to get like a safari sim type game. That would be great. A zoo or safari based "my tribe" game would be really fun!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on May 14, 10 1:49 PM
OK..........Some hate HOGS & IHOGS.......TM....LF...so on>>>>>>>>

BFG has to try and bring out all types of games.
I would hate to be them for some fishies can't wait for their type of games.

I can I bought tooooooooo many for mom's day.
Remember there are many diff. kinds of games even kiddy ones.

Happy Gaming keep SMILING
PEN

[Post New]by Cupcakex3 on May 14, 10 2:15 PM
I think that Big Fish Games does a great job finding a new game every single game. I'm still surprised that they even can find any these days, with over the thousands(?) of games they already have.

Youda never fails me... I think they do wonderful! I'm really excited to play this game.

[Post New]by batmanfish on May 14, 10 2:34 PM
I purchased Youda Safari and was disappointed. Youda needs to get back to some of its great concepts/game development like Youda Marina. Youda Marina was one of the best games ever developed. It wasn't "childish" and had a nice balance of time management and "city building". You had to think of your strategy whereas some of the games they are making these days require no thinking - just click 'n go.

I'd like to see another Youda Marina type game because lately Youda's reputation has begun to falter with its cheesy and kid-like new developments.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 14, 10 4:53 PM
laeddie wrote:I certainly am glad to see others finally complaining about all the "childish" kids games. I voiced my opinion several weeks ago about so many kids games were the DD for $2.99 and most everyone including some of those above who actually like this game got upset with me and I got in trouble for my opinions. Hopefully this will not offend anyone; I just want to add my two cents worth that I also think this site is weighing heavily toward the kid games. I agree that BF is the best site -offers a variety of games and should offer what BF thinks will sell. HAPPY GAMING to one and all.

It's really sad when you can't voice your opinion about a game without being criticized by some who disagree. Everyone's opinions are valid and everyone has a right to voice them. How else are others going to know the good and bad points of a game?

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 14, 10 4:58 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Here is my chime in on this one...I agree. BF doesn't seem like the same site it used to be, does it. It is getting to the point that I don't bother going to BF first anymore. This isn't just a drought...it is more like they have jumped on the same bandwagon that most of the other sites have. I think it is obvious which games sell the most, get the most attention, and how unhappy we are with the slim pickings on here.

Sadly, I'm afraid I have to agree with you, WolfenRaindancer. Not too long ago, I never had a problem finding a game I liked and wanted to buy. It seems to me that has changed and it started with the recent merger.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 14, 10 5:32 PM
Ok ,,,Here I go ...I smell a CE hog in the making ...As soon as we start huffing & puffing about all the crummy games that have been around a CE,, comes out & we are all so starving that we can't help ourselves ,,,then we complain about the money ,,,you don't think they know our every little move ? Will be there with our tongues hanging dry ...!!!!! Yes I am going thru with-DRAWLS ......I can't even bring myself to counting anymore ,,,Yes I would like some cheese with my WHINE !!!! Thank you VERY MUCH !!!!!! CHEERS,,,,

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on May 14, 10 6:06 PM
Bevcat07 wrote:I totally agree, most of the latest games are "Kids" games and I just can not find a game that I like, my favorites are **** and Adventure, but do you see any of these? NO<NO<NO> Please bfg try a little harder to get the kind of games we want to purchase Thanks for letting me blow off alittle steam!!!! Jellyfish

I TOTALLY AGREE 100% ALL THIS MONTH WE HAVE HAD NOTHING AT ALL EXCEPT ! THAT DOESN"T WORK<I TOO AM LOOKING AT OTHER SITES ANYONE WHO WANTS TO KNOW WHERE GREAT GAMES AT SAME PRICE ARE PM ME I WILL LET YOU KNOW,I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN GREAT FAN OF BF BUT THIS MONTH SO FAR IT STINKS & FOR ANYONE WHO DISAGREES I AM ALSO ALLOWED MY OPINION AS ALL OF US WHO HAVE WRITTEN THE SAME THING HERE

Edited on 05/14/2010 at 6:11:36 PM PST

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 14, 10 10:34 PM
I agree with some and others' not so much. First of all, Kiddie Games are great for those who have kids and those that don't. I have seen many members that very much enjoy those Kiddie Games, yes granted Hamlet not too many cared for that one, however I read that Hamlet was considered to be a "kiddie game," which I didn't see that game under the Kids genre, I believe it was under Adventure games. If I even thought that Big Fish was just a HOG/IHOG site, believe me, I would have left this site a long time ago, I know a few that would have left too. If you look under Browse Genres at Big Fishs' Home page you will see 14 games genre. All I can say is, Please you all give Big Fish a break. I have to admit for some that don't like TM games, I understand how you may feel, I have felt that same way, when 4 IHOG's were coming out in a row last month, but all members need to know Big Fish can't please everyone, everyday. I think Mudrock said. Lost Lagoon would be released, a HOG. Be patient and Happy Gaming!!

Edited on 05/14/2010 at 10:37:18 PM PST

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on May 14, 10 10:47 PM
I cant say they were awful, they just were not for me. There are certain type games I like and I have to wait for them. BF trys to accomodate us all, but that would be impossible. I do wish they would offer two or three a day, that might ease the frustration somewhat while waiting for one of my type games. So far this month, and we are already at the halfway mark, I have only seen maybe two games I cared to buy.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on May 15, 10 12:30 AM
I read the gaming review sites and have yet to see a decent game that BFG hasn't got. I know there are some series who prioritise other sites (just as some series who priortise BFG) - but the hot new releases advertised on GZ, BFG has got all of them recently - and remarkably cheaper than other sites, who still charge more for the same game, and less customer service.

I don't revere BFG, and willingly will point out faults with them. However, the game selection isn't one of them. They are a diverse game site, and certainly - there has not been a large number of kiddie games this month. There were a lot on DD during easter, that was it. So far this month I've bought 6 new releases, all adult, adventure type games. All with superior graphics and gameplay.

How about - everyone who wants to point a finger of blame, outline some constructive points on where BFG could strive to improve their service to you. So far all I hear is whine whine whine, or wah wah wah, they don't have games I like, etc. The point, seemingly wholely selfish, doesn't give any details on what would stop the whining. Exactly what do you, as a customer want - whining gets nowhere, infact, whining opinions are beyond irritating, mainly for other users, but I'm sure as a business, they aren't the sort of opinions anyone wants.

Now, that's not to be offensive and say your opinions aren't valuable, only that your desired way of putting it across makes your opinions useless - you are quick to say what you don't want (over and over and over - yawn) - but as for what you do want? Well? What is it?

And ''better games'' is not an answer. You think the current games are ''awful'' - explain, EXACTLY why, and expand on points on what would make future games good, in your opinion. Stating ''everything'' is ''kiddie'' games is also not a valid answer. Because what you define as ''kiddie'' is entirely subjective, and if you want to use that term, you will have to define what makes a game childish. Is it the graphics, the simplified gameplay - exactly what turns you off.

I'm all for debate and discussion, but pointless ''all games are awful'' threads get nowhere, and resolve nothing. And there's always spates of them (since I started, I've seen threads re-occur, with little useable information in them as to why the games aren't very good).

I'll post after this comment on my own views, because as I said, I don't wholely disagree with this point, I just think it's over the top/dramatic.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on May 15, 10 12:37 AM
My opinions on recent games, games selection, layout:

--> ''new'' releases of old games to be listed as such. While BFG getting the game for the first time does make it 'new', if the game was made and originally released in 2003, I'd like to see that written somewhere so I know.

--> A quicker turn around on fixing bugs in games, this is the developers fault, but there are a lot of bugs getting through to live releases.

--> An alternating, or multiple release so we don't get long streams of one type of game.

--> Better labelling/listing of games. A link to the RPG game section to be put in the genre (it does actually exist, it's just not lined anywhere here)

--> A minimum game length of 2 hours for every game. While of course you will get faster players, I think something has to be done about the terribly short games that are now appearing. Hamlet for instance can be completed in under an hour. So not only does this annoy players, potentially it loses BFG money as people can complete the game on the trial hour.

--> a ''Roses and Thorns'' thread for every game, aimed at the developers (as opposed to a comments/reviews thread aimed at the players) - this thread would contain spoilers, but would also allow players to list at length what they liked and disliked. This could potentially allow developers and players to ''get on the same page'' about things.

As for the selection, I still believe BFG is at the mercy of what is submitted to their site, or what they have negotiated for (with bigger developers).

hbgroadends
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by hbgroadends on May 15, 10 10:53 AM
Runewarden, thank you for both of your comments--the one regarding the uselessness of complaining without specifics and your second post regarding, in detail, what changes you would like to see. You are so right that it does no good to whine and complain about the quality or types of games in general if you are not going to be specific as to what you don't like. Likeability is so subjective--what one person likes, another is going to hate. As you stated, what one person would call a "kiddie" game, another would play it and not think that.

Thank you for reiterating that if there is something we want to see changed, we need to be specific and provide specific examples of what we like and don't like. BFG can do more about resolving our complaints if we give them useful information.

gailsgame
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by gailsgame on May 15, 10 11:20 AM
I actually think a rating system with each game would be very helpful. A rating from 1 - 5. And it would only work if you voted on the genre of games you like. As I mentioned earlier, I don't like HOGs much, so it would be silly for me to go and vote them all as 1 because I don't like them. If I like strategy & TM games, then obviously I would vote honestly on how I enjoy those type of games.

I'm finding the TM games either too hectic (yes I know they are hectic), but many many people are asking for relaxed or untimed TM games, so I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like to just click click furiously, but instead stop to work out the best plan to move forward in the game. I love TM games that are designed to think out your best options, and I hope for more in the future.

I know we have forums for each game, but it can get tiresome reading through and posts concerning bugs etc get muddled with the "what do you think" threads.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on May 15, 10 11:25 AM
Excellent post Runewarden.

I'd add one thing. A corollary to your second point about fixing bugs in the games.

Have more thorough testing of games before they are released. Especially games developed by people for whom english isn't their first language.

Of course, this testing is only useful if the developers actually listen to the testers. I test for a few sites and find that even basic grammer and spelling problems don't get solved before the game is released. BFG is just as guilty of this as other developers.

Look, BFG is never going to make everyone happy all of the time. They can't possibly be all things to all people.

But the complaints on this site are generally about a few issues that have just never been resolved. Many of which you mention in your post. Many of which we've been complaining about for years.

Every so often the frustration of being ignored bubbles up to the surface and one of these threads gets started. And every time we think, maybe this time....... maybe this time....

Paristan
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Paristan on May 16, 10 2:26 AM
I can't agree with you on that one. FOr the type of game it is it is great! BF has lots of variety. So we aren't all happy all the time but we are all happy sometime or other! I often download even games I don't think I will like (not repetative one like Chain though, lol!) and am often surprised. Didn't like Youda fairy though. I am too old and slow I think.
My absolute all time favourites are the Dream Chronicles followed closely by Snapshot adventures and Wandering Willows. I still go back to Magic Farm sometimes. The Avada ones just became annoying with the repetative puzzles and hate the basic hidden object games but I know some people just love them hey!
So keep up the variety I say. I think I have bought about15 games in the last 2 months so I need to actually play some of them now!

slp12272
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by slp12272 on May 16, 10 5:56 AM
Bevcat07 wrote:I totally agree, most of the latest games are "Kids" games and I just can not find a game that I like, my favorites are **** and Adventure, but do you see any of these? NO<NO<NO> Please bfg try a little harder to get the kind of games we want to purchase Thanks for letting me blow off alittle steam!!!! Jellyfish

See how tastes vary..I love this safari game. Time management are my favorite, and not the build or decorate kind but this kind where there is a lot going on that you have to keep up with. I like **** games but was getting tired of them and TM games like this are not offered often. So the bottom line is, you can't please everyone all the time and from reading these comments, it seems Big Fish just can't win.

slp12272
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by slp12272 on May 16, 10 6:03 AM
gailsgame wrote:I wondered if it was just me thinking "what can I download and play?" and there is nothing

But I do think it's more the developers getting games out too quickly, or before being tested properly that's letting us down, more than BFG. Or they seem to make subtle changes on their previous games and put it out as a new game.

BFG seem to only delay games so they can offer them at $6.99, or if a game is really popular and worth the price, they will offer the CE for $20, but most people would still rather wait for the standard edition. But they give you the choice sometimes I guess.

I personally don't like HOGs, TM games most of the time are too repetitive and hectic for me, and my netbook will only play certain resolution games, so I blame me for most of the limited games I can buy. I would buy more if they would work (Artist Colony & Little Folk of Farey to name 2).

But I do think the DDs have been mainly for kids lately, so that's a shame.

I was excited about this game, but I downloaded a trial from the developer site and I thought it seemed a bit childish. For some reason when I read the reviews I thought we were going to get like a safari sim type game. That would be great. A zoo or safari based "my tribe" game would be really fun!

NO!!! I totally disagree! I hate mytribe type games...too boring for me, no action, which is why I like TM's...not builder tycoon type but the hectic kind like the safari one.

Go to: